ADVERTISEMENT

Could you date someone with opposing political views?

Yeah - I'm trying to warm up to the idea that politics can be sidestepped or not too much to worry about. Moreso after the election.
You can send subtle signs that it’s not something you prefer for topics. Be reticent when it comes up. She’ll get the hint

Reactions: Ohio Guy
My (batshit crazy) mother-in-law is virulently anti-Trump. This woman has never had a thought or belief system of her own since I've known her. She always just latches onto whatever belief system her spouse or S.O. has (which there have been several since I met her). She calls my wife nearly every evening and unloads all this crazy babble, leading the wife to put her on speaker phone so she can multitask...and unfortunately I get to hear it. Every now and again, I just can't help myself, and drop a passing snarky reply just to wind her up because feck it ya know....works like a charm by the way. A few examples from the past month or so...

MIL: You know Trump is the antichrist, right?
Me: How the hell can you believe in the antichrist when you don't believe in God (she's an atheist).

MIL: You know if Trump wins the election he's going to make internment camps for people like me.
Me: Man I hope so, I'd hate to think that you'd be moving in with us someday.

But hey, at least the remainder of their conversation switches from conspiratorial politics to what an asshole I am.

My (batshit crazy) mother-in-law is virulently anti-Trump. This woman has never had a thought or belief system of her own since I've known her. She always just latches onto whatever belief system her spouse or S.O. has (which there have been several since I met her). She calls my wife nearly every evening and unloads all this crazy babble, leading the wife to put her on speaker phone so she can multitask...and unfortunately I get to hear it. Every now and again, I just can't help myself, and drop a passing snarky reply just to wind her up because feck it ya know....works like a charm by the way. A few examples from the past month or so...

MIL: You know Trump is the antichrist, right?
Me: How the hell can you believe in the antichrist when you don't believe in God (she's an atheist).

MIL: You know if Trump wins the election he's going to make internment camps for people like me.
Me: Man I hope so, I'd hate to think that you'd be moving in with us someday.

But hey, at least the remainder of their conversation switches from conspiratorial politics to what an asshole I am.
So at least your MIL is normal and has standards lol

Well Biden still can’t find his worlds fair spoon and my finger can’t push the button for Trump.

As always. We deserve all of this horseshit.
Fist in the air. Shot. It’s America. Nothing he has on fits

Reactions: DANC
I know it’s still really new, but she’s damn near perfect otherwise.
She’s going sniff the softness off of you a mile away. You need to start chewing and wearing cut off tanks right away. Long term a mullet and arm tattoo wouldn’t hurt you. Lastly, in the bedroom don’t be afraid to hop right in and start rootin around. The nastier the better.

Last edited:
Yep. Brainwashing is a terrible thing.

I'm not sure it's brainwashing. If you're in your mid-20's then Trump's Republican party is the only Republican party you've experienced as someone of voting age. Why wouldn't you associate MAGA with Republicans?

This is a problem for the party. They've lost the vast majority of an entire generation. And if Trump gets elected again this November they'll lose even more. The Dream Team may think all is well, but old angry white guys don't live forever. The next generation hates you.

I'm not sure it's brainwashing. If you're in your mid-20's then Trump's Republican party is the only Republican party you've experienced as someone of voting age. Why wouldn't you associate MAGA with Republicans?

This is a problem for the party. They've lost the vast majority of an entire generation. And if Trump gets elected again this November they'll lose even more. The Dream Team may think all is well, but old angry white guys don't live forever. The next generation hates you.
We ain’t going anywhere

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens

You claimed this the other day and didn’t back it up with anything. The data shows young men have shifted to the right. They can’t stand all the left leaning woke bullshit.

Back in the day most people didn't discuss politics or hang flags on their car or house year round. It was generally a yard sign and possibly a bumper sticker close to the election. Now people get the drive by "Trump 2024... F... your feelings" signs or similar or have trucks flying confederate and trump flags out the back (seen recently in tennessee).

Most disagreements in the past were based on policies and not whether or not grabbing women by the pussy or trying to overturn an election was something the should be disqualifying for a candidate.

There are many things that Trump has done and said that is viewed by many as unforgiveable to support....most have nothing/little to do with his policy or politics. Hence being MAGA or MAGA adjacent being an automatic DQ for some.
No one hung flags outside their homes? GTFO

i was in that position 30 yrs ago

now we think alike

I married a Kanuckistani Kommie 24 years ago. I'd been a mostly Republican, middle of the road type for years prior (voted GHWB twice, maybe Dole but can't remember for sure, and GWB twice before I finally/reluctantly realized that he and Cheney had lied to us). Obama caught my eye with his convention speech in 2004 and I was all in on him in 2008.

The Great Recession and health care costs sealed the deal. My wife lost her job and her health insurance, my salary was cut by 20% and putting her on my work policy tripled my already too high out of pocket costs. We were looking at abject poverty and/or public assistance. The ACA saved our bacon. And the Pubs have been trying to take that away from us and others like me ever since.

Last edited:

If all that is true then they think the Left is all pronouns and virtue signaling. And it means they’re a worthless generation if they can’t separate moderates from the extremists. But I don’t believe that to be the case. I believe they're brainwashed.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I think politics aren’t much to worry about. My ex stoker is back to texting me multiple times a day. Day and night. My ex wife is trying very hard to get me to go out with her (while actively dating at least three guys). I’m the most content and comfortable I’ve been in many years. Maybe my picker is shitty or I just attract crazy but I really have zero interest in dating. Crazy seems more prevalent than political bent concerns
Ex wife trying to date you again ???????

Thankfully, my wife isn't political in the least.

She votes, but really doesn't pay attention until a week or so before she goes in to vote.

She leans right, I lean left. Its been an issue in our loving relationship 0% of the time.

I would only care if someone was so obsessed with political issues that it dominates their life, being the only thing they can think or talk about. Outside of someone who actually works in politics, that's a warning sign of someone either crazy or stupid. Probably both.

The most anti Trump generation seems to be younger millennials... Like late 20s to late 30s. Gen Z seems to be a bit more up in the air.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
I was a Reagan Republican. My wife marched and caried signs for Mondale/Ferraro. We met later, in 1991. She's still further left than I am, but we're pretty close today on most things.

I think it's harder for younger people today to accept opposing viewpoints. My oldest daughter is 27 and she's said she'd never consider socializing with, let alone dating, a Republican.
Funny thing happens when young progressives become successful business owners. I have client around 40. Crazy intelligent and was far left through college and immediately after college. He started a business and now has multiple companies and extremely successful. He’s Trump MAGA now.

Reactions: DANC
Funny thing happens when young progressives become successful business owners. I have client around 40. Crazy intelligent and was far left through college and immediately after college. He started a business and now has multiple companies and extremely successful. He’s Trump MAGA now.
Money defines people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT