ADVERTISEMENT

Could you date someone with opposing political views?

I was just talking with a really good friend of mine I've known since first grade about this. I actually reached out to ask her the question I originally posted and she told me something similar to what you've posted here about herself.
For me it was during Pat Buchanan and the moral majority, family values stuff. Boy would they be appalled at their standard bearer now.

Define Trumper
Anyone who would have a Trump flag, MAGA hat, goes to his rallies , or actually likes him. Let alone think he’s the second coming. I could possibly tolerate someone holding their nose and voting for him.

Is there any point in a pregnancy that a woman shouldn’t have the right to kill her baby?
I'm not Zeke, either, but that was pretty much settled, before Dobbs, in a way that most people felt comfortable with. After the point of viability, absent a life-threatening condition for the Mother emerging, abortions would not be done.

Some states set that time point at different numbers of weeks. Some added more exceptions than others (e.g., rape, incest). But nowhere was the interpretation pre-Dobbs so Draconian that it threatened the health and even LIFE of women suffering from an incomplete natural miscarriage (needing a D&C but being unable to get it, super common!), women unable to choose IVF, or (Lordy) threats to extend the plan to contraception in general.

Dobbs made it dangerous to be a woman of child bearing age in a red state. My daughters, both of child bearing age, are very much aware of that. One, living in Florida, may move because of it, should FL follow down Texas's path

Anyone who would have a Trump flag, MAGA hat, goes to his rallies , or actually likes him. Let alone think he’s the second coming. I could possibly tolerate someone holding their nose and voting for him.
I wonder if there is anyone that actually likes him. :)

Is there any point in a pregnancy that a woman shouldn’t have the right to kill her baby?

Baby killers?

Is a fertilized egg a baby before implantation ?

Then after implantation if a "baby" becomes a victim of a miscarriage does this require a full criminal investigation as to whether the mother and possibly her doctor are subject to a murder charge ?

Baby killers?

Then after implantation if a "baby" becomes a victim of a miscarriage does this require a full criminal investigation as to whether the mother and possibly her doctor are subject to a murder charge ?
There’s a point where a late term abortion is killing a baby IMO.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Baby killers?

He doesn't jackoff because wasted sperm is murder

I'm not sure it's brainwashing. If you're in your mid-20's then Trump's Republican party is the only Republican party you've experienced as someone of voting age. Why wouldn't you associate MAGA with Republicans?

This is a problem for the party. They've lost the vast majority of an entire generation. And if Trump gets elected again this November they'll lose even more. The Dream Team may think all is well, but old angry white guys don't live forever. The next generation hates you.
Huh, that’s new. Typically the next generation loves & espouses all of the beliefs of the previous. They never move to the right as they get older either. 🙄

I married a Kanuckistani Kommie 24 years ago. I'd been a mostly Republican, middle of the road type for years prior (voted GHWB twice, maybe Dole but can't remember for sure, and GWB twice before I finally/reluctantly realized that he and Cheney had lied to us). Obama caught my eye with his convention speech in 2004 and I was all in on him in 2008.

The Great Recession and health care costs sealed the deal. My wife lost her job and her health insurance, my salary was cut by 20% and putting her on my work policy tripled my already too high out of pocket costs. We were looking at abject poverty and/or public assistance. The ACA saved our bacon. And the Pubs have been trying to take that away from us and others like me ever since.
Interesting that your mantra has been “there are plenty of jobs out there & everything else will take care of itself” when anyone has been critical of the economy. Does that not include medical costs including insurance, or is the caveat there that someone else must subsidize that? Has your wife gone back to work? Wouldn’t increases in cost of goods erode many people’s ability to pay medical bills as well?

Reactions: 76-1
Money defines people.
That’s an oversimplification. For many what they want or want to DO defines them, & sometimes it takes money to do it. If someone wants to travel the world, take in its natural beauty & experience other cultures, & they are career driven & accumulate wealth in their youth, are they defined by money? If someone wants their children to live the best life possible(as they see it) & it takes money to do it, are they defined by money or their desire to provide what they want for their children? Too often people without money want to label those with it as being defined by it without any understanding of WHY they want it…

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That’s an oversimplification. For many what they want or want to DO defines them, & sometimes it takes money to do it. If someone wants to travel the world, take in its natural beauty & experience other cultures, & they are career driven & accumulate wealth in their youth, are they defined by money? If someone wants their children to live the best life possible(as they see it) & it takes money to do it, are they defined by money or their desire to provide what they want for their children? Too often people without money want to label those with it as being defined by it without any understanding of WHY they want it…
Well said, maybe people desire to have money to live comfortably and provide for their family for generations. For the record met my wife, she came from a Blue family hard working group, after we married it didn't take long for her to open her eyes now she is far more right than me. Family has all turned the corner as well, her Dad bought me a "Don't tread on me" Trump flag which would have never happened when I met her. Just goes to show it is never too late to wake up and see clearly.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Well said, maybe people desire to have money to live comfortably and provide for their family for generations. For the record met my wife, she came from a Blue family hard working group, after we married it didn't take long for her to open her eyes now she is far more right than me. Family has all turned the corner as well, her Dad bought me a "Don't tread on me" Trump flag which would have never happened when I met her. Just goes to show it is never too late to wake up and see clearly.
For sure. It’s just frustrating. Reading posts like this helps keep the energy up. We come on here everyday and try to help people. Fellow Hoosiers. To teach them. Help them understand how things work. Point out their mistakes with kid gloves. But they don’t want to learn.

We come on here everyday to insult people. Fellow Hoosiers. Because we're assholes. We have no interest in hearing their points of view or even trying to understand anything they post, because we know everything and are mistake-free. F*ck the kid gloves approach. Berate them. Threaten them. I learned about everything at the Golden Corral pasta bar. Somehow, they don’t want to accept my obvious superiority.
fixed it, specific to what you come here to do.

Dobbs made it dangerous to be a woman of child bearing age in a red state. My daughters, both of child bearing age, are very much aware of that. One, living in Florida, may move because of it, should FL follow down Texas's path
It might have made it a bit more dangerous to be a pregnant woman who wanted an abortion in some red states. But those women are a very small subset of all women of child-bearing age.

As for the "might" part, one can still travel to a state that allows abortion and have the procedure done there. It's been two years since Dobbs.

Is there a single documented death of a woman from pregnancy or birth complications who wanted an abortion but could not get one? I don't know the answer to this, but assume if one existed it would have been widely reported.

By the way, the US maternal mortality rate is 10 per 100,000. Subtracting out 0.7 per 100k for abortion mortality, that gives us 0.0093%. I'm not sure subjecting a pregnant woman to that mortality rate can be considered "dangerous," even if it is more of a risk than an abortion.

I understand the pro and con arguments for and against abortion. I'm obviously not swayed by religious arguments on the "con" side. But on the "pro" side, the medical danger to the mother is not a very powerful one in this day and age.

It might have made it a bit more dangerous to be a pregnant woman who wanted an abortion in some red states. But those women are a very small subset of all women of child-bearing age.

As for the "might" part, one can still travel to a state that allows abortion and have the procedure done there. It's been two years since Dobbs.

Is there a single documented death of a woman from pregnancy or birth complications who wanted an abortion but could not get one? I don't know the answer to this, but assume if one existed it would have been widely reported.

By the way, the US maternal mortality rate is 10 per 100,000. Subtracting out 0.7 per 100k for abortion mortality, that gives us 0.0093%. I'm not sure subjecting a pregnant woman to that mortality rate can be considered "dangerous," even if it is more of a risk than an abortion.

I understand the pro and con arguments for and against abortion. I'm obviously not swayed by religious arguments on the "con" side. But on the "pro" side, the medical danger to the mother is not a very powerful one in this day and age.

Hasn't kept people from trying to ban traveling for an abortion

So you think they have solved all medical danger from a pregnancy such that there is never a medical danger to the mother? Is that just a gut feeling or data to back that up?

Between wives I dated a Bloomington gal while she was campaigning to be judge on the Democrat ticket. She bragged to me that on a liberal scale of 0-10, she was a 13, which I interrupted as the beginning of the end. The final blow, figuratively speaking, came on New Year’s Eve, 2007. Instead of going out to celebrate the annual changing of the calendar, I insisted we stay home to watch the Insight Bowl, IU vs Oklahoma State. She got pissed off because of this, emphatically stating, “Frankly, I couldn’t care any less about IU football!” I was in a particularly bad mood afterwards, IU having lost 49-33. By sunrise of the New Year, it dawned on me… it being over and it was. I never took her out again.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Between wives I dated a Bloomington gal while she was campaigning to be judge on the Democrat ticket. She bragged to me that on a liberal scale of 0-10, she was a 13, which I interrupted as the beginning of the end. The final blow, figuratively speaking, came on New Year’s Eve, 2007. Instead of going out to celebrate the annual changing of the calendar, I insisted we stay home to watch the Insight Bowl, IU vs Oklahoma State. She got pissed off because of this, emphatically stating, “Frankly, I couldn’t care any less about IU football!” I was in a particularly bad mood afterwards, IU having lost 49-33. By sunrise of the New Year, it dawned on me… it being over and it was. I never took her out again.

wrong thread....that was more of a "could you date a non-IU fan" lol

Unfortunately my wife doesn't much care for sports. Claims to be a reversible jacket (IU basketball/ND football) fan but never actually watches either.

Hasn't kept people from trying to ban traveling for an abortion

So you think they have solved all medical danger from a pregnancy such that there is never a medical danger to the mother? Is that just a gut feeling or data to back that up?
Holy crap, that MAGA monster Kavanaugh says states can't ban travel for the purposes of abortions!

It’s never too late to get brainwashed by Fox News and all the other right wing propaganda. Fortunately, my family all turned the other way when we grew up, traveled extensively, met and spoke with people out of our comfort zone, and cared about others who were different than we are.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

I’ll find some stories for you. I’ve read many. Several about young teenagers traumatized even more by having to travel, some by doctors who felt their hands are tied now, some by women forced to deliver babies who they knew would die or have extremely serious abnormalities. I don’t know if there are statistics yet, but there are certainly many personal stories. And I’m sure some women have likely died by going to unqualified people, just like back in back alley abortion days. We will likely not see those statistics.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It might have made it a bit more dangerous to be a pregnant woman who wanted an abortion in some red states.
I'm not even talking about women who want an abortion.

I am talking specifically about women who need medical care and are denied it because the medical providers are concerned that the medical care will be incorrectly deemed to be an abortion.

The most common example is incomplete natural miscarriage requiring D&C. About 30 percent of pregnancies end in natural miscarriage. https://www.marchofdimes.org/find-support/topics/miscarriage-loss-grief/miscarriage

Up to 20% of all natural miscarriages have an "incomplete" or partial miscarriage, requiring surgical removal of the remaining tissue to ensure health of the mother.

Taken together, up to 6% of all pregnancies in the USA require a medical procedure essential to the well-being of the woman, one that might be banned, HAS been (effectively) banned in many places, because the same procedure COULD be used to abort a fetus that is alive. Incomplete miscarriage has probably happened in your immediate family, since it is so common.

What has happened in documented cases is the woman has sent home to "bleed it out" and hope that the tissue will be rejected before she develops an infection. This has resulted in cases of sterility, much pain and suffering, and even death. There are unintended consequences for these bans for medical procedures that are in many cases absolutely necessary.

Then there is IVF bans / limitations based on the same fears. "If I do IVF, I will be charged with doing an abortion unless every egg is saved forever and every implanted egg 'takes' and develops"

Last edited:
You saw the pillow personally?
Me, to myself, thinking the obvious reply "not only has he seen it, he's tasted it".

200w.gif

Let's say Florida bans D&C procedures, along with Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Carolinas.

A woman in south Florida, often in pain from an incomplete miscarriage, is then MORE THAN a 10 hour drive from any place where she could get a routine life-saving operation.

Do you call that quality health care?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I’ll find some stories for you. I’ve read many. Several about young teenagers traumatized even more by having to travel, some by doctors who felt their hands are tied now, some by women forced to deliver babies who they knew would die or have extremely serious abnormalities. I don’t know if there are statistics yet, but there are certainly many personal stories. And I’m sure some women have likely died by going to unqualified people, just like back in back alley abortion days. We will likely not see those statistics.
I recognize the stats I cited and the arguments I made in the previous post do not take into account the mental trauma of childbirth.

Also, one would expect mortality rates to rise as more potential at-risk pregnancies might exist pro-Dobbs. But I think it’s very possible to limit these to the point that calling it “dangerous” to be a woman in a red state is as ludicrous as saying it’s “dangerous” to ride in a car in the US (that actually has a higher mortality rate than childbirth).

Let's say Florida bans D&C procedures, along with Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the Carolinas.

A woman in south Florida, often in pain from an incomplete miscarriage, is then MORE THAN a 10 hour drive from any place where she could get a routine life-saving operation.

These are the same people that thought freedom to not wear a mask / social distance was more important than keeping hospitals from overcrowding. Out of sight / out of mind...don't care.

So stupid lol

Reactions: stollcpa and jet812
So stupid lol
No, it's really not. It's a situation that exists now in south Texas. Drive all day to try to save your life by getting to civilization. If you can't afford the trip, tough.

I want abortion to be exceptionally rare and unnecessary. Though we would all be much better off if you had been aborted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT