ADVERTISEMENT

CBS poll asking coaches who they like their kid to play for.

For 3 quarters it did not look good
You could say the same for IU basketball a lot of times last year if college basketball was quarters instead of halves . . .

Maybe. We did win the Big 10 championship outright with a game to spare...so I will take that as opposed to not winning the Big 10 outright with a game to spare.

We also had the Big 10 Coach of the Year, which was better than having the other 13 Not Big 10 coaches of the year.

..."was quarters..." nice grammar...this makes me not want to send my children to Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: becauseIknow
Maybe. We did win the Big 10 championship outright with a game to spare...so I will take that as opposed to not winning the Big 10 outright with a game to spare.

We also had the Big 10 Coach of the Year, which was better than having the other 13 Not Big 10 coaches of the year.
Did we play well at times last year? No question.

We also really stunk it up bad for a stretch. Was fortunate to have played the opening schedule we did in the B1G.

Did we play well at times last year? No question.

We also really stunk it up bad for a stretch. Was fortunate to have played the opening schedule we did in the B1G.

Maybe. Which Big 10 team would you trade places with at the end of last season? I thought it was fun crushing Maryland in Bloomington without having to worry about who would win the Big 10. Would you have traded places with another team? Please elaborate if so...

You are right...it's Crean's fault for drawing up that Big 10 schedule...what a jerk...he should have made it harder...we should have played at Michigan State 16 times.

Maybe. Which Big 10 team would you trade places with at the end of last season? I thought it was fun crushing Maryland in Bloomington without having to worry about who would win the Big 10. Would you have traded places with another team? Please elaborate if so...

You are right...it's Crean's fault for drawing up that Big 10 schedule...what a jerk...he should have made it harder...we should have played at Michigan State 16 times.
Traded places? Clearly, MSU was the best team at the end of last season. As usual, the Big Ten Tournament separated the the best from everyone else.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

Don't blame Cresn a bit for who we played RS Big 10.

Turnovers and defense, however, are a different story . . .

MSU that got beat by really bad team in the tourney. I thought thats how we measured sucess here. Pretty two faced.

I thought we were measuring teams not coaches. IU and Wisconsin were sweet sixteen teams . Just using your standards. Biggest upset loss in the tourney WATCH the game Izzo got outcoached really bad even admitted afterwards. Will we be happy with CTC if we won one NC in 21 years. Izzo has won 5 big ten championships in 21 years CTC has won 2 in 5. Sure IZzo is better. Last year he was not.

I thought we were measuring teams not coaches. IU and Wisconsin were sweet sixteen teams . Just using your standards. Biggest upset loss in the tourney WATCH the game Izzo got outcoached really bad even admitted afterwards. Will we be happy with CTC if we won one NC in 21 years. Izzo has won 5 big ten championships in 21 years CTC has won 2 in 5. Sure IZzo is better. Last year he was not.
Do you think IU was better than MSU last season?

I thought we were measuring teams not coaches. IU and Wisconsin were sweet sixteen teams . Just using your standards.

My standards is having a program where you'll consistently be able to compete for championships.

Izzo has done that in his 21 years at Michigan St. Crean? Not so much

The only time as head basketball coaches they’ve been equal? Their 1st year – both missed the NCAA and made the NIT.

In year two, Crean missed on the post-season; Izzo made the NIT again.

Year 3? Izzo and Crean both make their 1st NCAA Torunament. Crean loses in 1st Rd; Izzo goes to Sweet 16.

Year 4? Both make Final Four.

From then on, it’s been ALL Izzo. National Champions, return to Final Four 5 times SINCE the national title. Do you realize that the 2014 senior class at MSU was the 1st under Izzo to not go to a Final Four? And since those first 2 trips to the NIT Izzo has been in the NCAA tournament every year? EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Not a typo.

Tom Crean? In 17 years as a head coach he’s been to the NCAA Tournament a total of nine times. Is that consistency?

Izzo has won 5 big ten championships in 21 years CTC has won 2 in 5.

Actually, Izzo has won 7 (1998,1999,2000,2001,2009,2010,2012). That’s regular season titles; he’s won 5 BTT titles (1999, 2000, 2012, 2014, 2016).

Crean? He won a Conference USA title in 2003 along with the 2 Big 10 titles. At IU he's gotten to the semifinals of the Big 10 Tournament ONCE. Not a typo.

Sure IZzo is better.

This is about the only valid point from your entire post. It is, however, accurate.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Traded places? Clearly, MSU was the best team at the end of last season. As usual, the Big Ten Tournament separated the the best from everyone else.

7 times the Big Ten has had an outright Champion that did not win the Big Ten Tournament. On those 7 occasions the outright Champion has advanced further in the NCAA Tournament than the BIG Tourney Champs 5 times and tied once. In fact the only Big Ten Conference Tournament winner to advance further than the outright Regular Season Champs was in 2013 when OSU lasted 1 game longer than #1 seeded IU.

In the case of an Outright Regular Season Champion vs the Conference Tournament Champion, the conference tourney has not been the best predictor for the NCAA Tournament. Even last year saw mighty MSU bow out earlier than the undeserving outright regular season champs.

The sample is pretty small, but it puts a tiny ding in the armor of the Big Ten Tournament as the ultimate crowning authority of the Big Ten Conference.

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
7 times the Big Ten has had an outright Champion that did not win the Big Ten Tournament. On those 7 occasions the outright Champion has advanced further in the NCAA Tournament than the BIG Tourney Champs 5 times and tied once. In fact the only Big Ten Conference Tournament winner to advance further than the outright Regular Season Champs was in 2013 when OSU lasted 1 game longer than #1 seeded IU.

In the case of an Outright Regular Season Champion vs the Conference Tournament Champion, the conference tourney has not been the best predictor for the NCAA Tournament. Even last year saw mighty MSU bow out earlier than the undeserving outright regular season champs.

The sample is pretty small, but it puts a tiny ding in the armor of the Big Ten Tournament as the ultimate crowning authority of the Big Ten Conference.
Did you consider IU to be better than MSU at the end of last season?

Did you consider IU to be better than MSU at the end of last season?

No! I should have highlighted the portion of your previous post that said "As usual, the Big Ten Tournament separated the best from everyone else"

There has been a movement this offseason to put winning the Big Ten Tournament ahead of even an outright conference title. Statistically it's just not a position that holds much water. I'm sick and tired of IU spitting the bit in the conference tourney too, but the regular season title is still more valuable.

Yes IU was better last year they won the Big Ten and went further in the tourament. Not and opinion but facts. Wisconsin was better as well. I guess MSU won the BTT oh i forgot that dont count Big Ten was weak last year. The Spa and Tas are our two faced duo talking out of both sides of your mouths.

Yes IU was better last year they won the Big Ten and went further in the tourament. Not and opinion but facts. Wisconsin was better as well. I guess MSU won the BTT oh i forgot that dont count Big Ten was weak last year. The Spa and Tas are our two faced duo talking out of both sides of your mouths.
Do you think IU would've beaten MSU had both managed to win enough to play in the Big Ten Tournament?

It would have been a 15 point game in Bloomington and if MSU played the way they did in the NCAA IU would have won. MSU was very inconsistent last year. Those close to the program considered it IZZO poorest coaching job perhaps since he has neen there.

It would have been a 15 point game in Bloomington and if MSU played the way they did in the NCAA IU would have won. MSU was very inconsistent last year. Those close to the program considered it IZZO poorest coaching job perhaps since he has neen there.
Had they played in the Big Ten Tournament, who wins? And you don't anything or anyone close to the MSU program.

By the way, have you been able to find the quote you mentioned about Scruggs that no one has any record of?

Just admit you have been back in a corner instead of trying to change subject to Scruggs i dont have to produce anything to you trolls believe it if you want. You have no facts to back up MSU was better than IU produce that.

Just admit you have been back in a corner instead of trying to change subject to Scruggs i dont have to produce anything to you trolls believe it if you want. You have no facts to back up MSU was better than IU produce that.
So you believe that the IU team that couldn't even beat Michigan on Friday was going to beat MSU, a team that had throttled them earlier in the year? MSU won the conference tournament. IU barely made it to Friday afternoon. As usual, the facts don't support what you say.

And you made up the quote about Scruggs. You know it and everyone else here knows it. If you could produce it, you would.

Last edited:
You stated it - not us.

If you can quote it then you ought to be able to produce it. Also produce a link that confirms it was Izzo's poorest coaching job .

So you believe that MSU who got beat by a really bad team the biggest upset of the tourney would beat IU. Come on spa now your really grasping pretty weak. Lets go back to facts Iu won big ten over 18 games won by 2 games would have been 3 after they throttled msu at home. Went 2 games further in the tourney. Those are the facts.Now i see your fellow troll has joined you because you are in a corner.

Very inconsistent?

Just HOW were the Spartans inconsistent? Please be specific.

So you believe that MSU who got beat by a really bad team the biggest upset of the tourney would beat IU. Come on spa now your really grasping pretty weak. Lets go back to facts Iu won big ten over 18 games won by 2 games would have been 3 after they throttled msu at home. Went 2 games further in the tourney. Those are the facts.Now i see your fellow troll has joined you because you are in a corner.
Did MSU have a really bad game in the NCAA? Maybe so - but heads up against IU they drilled them.

IU played 3 top team from the conference on the road and lost two of them. They never had to play in West Lafayette or College Park. Sure, IU was playing its best at season end , but most would pick MSU in head-to-head.

MSU also had the worse home loss for the season in losing to Nebraska. Maybe a bad loss in tourney really. Really weak
if IU would have played MSU the last game of the year instead of Maryland. It would have also been a pretty good beating. Stay with the facts not your opinion.

Win the BTT and turn around and lay a big egg in the tourney. Your not that dump Tas.

Also won some big games in the begining. Turned around and had to go into overtime with Oakland

I thought it was one of Izzo's best coaching jobs. He took a team that featured a fantastic player in Valentine and a bunch of role players, and finished #2 in the final AP Poll. They were obviously a very vulnerable group as they lost to Nebraska and Iowa at Breslin.

It's popular, for some reason, for people to believe that Valentine was out during their 3 game losing streak that cost them the Big 10, however Valentine played 37, 37 and 38 minutes averaging 20pts 6reb's and 6asst's.

They also caught a bit of a Big 10 scheduling break, playing IU, Maryland and PU just once, with two of the three being played at home. Proof of their vulnerability was their penchant for falling way behind against good teams (16 to Kansas and Louisville off the top of my head, but there were others) before rallying. If not for the super human play of Valentine, I doubt that MSU was a Top 15 team.

Nevertheless, Izzo finished #2 in the AP Poll and won the Big 10 tourney. They seemed to be playing their best ball that last month of the season, leading many to believe that they were hosed out of a #1 seed. I'm thinking that the loss to MTSU may have marked the first time that a team with such a great argument for a #1 seed has lost in the first round, which makes it arguably the biggest first rd. upset ever.

I'm not in the habit of propping up Izzo. I believe that part of the reason that IU got stuck with Crean is because of his connection to the sacred cow, thus Izzo is not among my faves and even I thought he did a great job with last years team. That all said, I think IU would have beat them at Assembly Hall.

Paterfamilies you made some good points. The complaint among the MSU fans that i know said. Izzo teams usually start a little slow and finish strong. This past year they played their best basketball in Dec and nevet played any better.

Paterfamilies you made some good points. The complaint among the MSU fans that i know said. Izzo teams usually start a little slow and finish strong. This past year they played their best basketball in Dec and nevet played any better.

I can see that, but they were only as good as Valentine and it's about impossible for a player to play better than Valentine did.

Yes, I think MSU, who drilled IU badly during the season and who won the Big Ten Tournament, would've beaten IU in the BTT. IU couldn't even beat Michigan in their Friday quarterfinal game.

Any luck on that Scruggs quote that you specifically said he made? I can't believe you'd make something like this up, so I'm eagarly looking forward to your link that proves you're not being dishonest. I mean, how could anyone take you seriously if you were caught in a lie?

Your really in a corner Spa its okay admit your wrong on this one. Ill never tell you my sources. I really dont care to know yours. Now back to the subject.

Reactions: becauseIknow
Yes, I think MSU, who drilled IU badly during the season and who won the Big Ten Tournament, would've beaten IU in the BTT. IU couldn't even beat Michigan in their Friday quarterfinal game.

Any luck on that Scruggs quote that you specifically said he made? I can't believe you'd make something like this up, so I'm eagarly looking forward to your link that proves you're not being dishonest. I mean, how could anyone take you seriously if you were caught in a lie?
What did he say about Scruggs because I must have missed this.

Your really in a corner Spa its okay admit your wrong on this one. Ill never tell you my sources. I really dont care to know yours. Now back to the subject.
So, you think the IU team that couldn't beat Michigan would've beaten and was better than MSU?

Please post a link to the Scruggs quote. We don't want anyone to think you're a liar. Please post the link. And the reason you won't reveal your sources is because they don't exist. Just like you don't have any MSU sources.

Please tell us, Niego.
Not a premium member but one of the threads named Scruggs thinking of transferring from Southport. I can't read it but I would think he would be thinking of going to one of the basketball factories out of state. If this is the case then I would think he does not care about staying in Indiana to play college.. Also I don't understand why these kids would give up a chance to actually play high school basketball in Indiana. I guess playing for a state championship or playing for the all star team does not mean anything anymore.

Not a premium member but one of the threads named Scruggs thinking of transferring from Southport. I can't read it but I would think he would be thinking of going to one of the basketball factories out of state. If this is the case then I would think he does not care about staying in Indiana to play college.. Also I don't understand why these kids would give up a chance to actually play high school basketball in Indiana. I guess playing for a state championship or playing for the all star team does not mean anything anymore.
Kids can go wherever they want to go, Scott. Just like you've made excuses as to why they don't want to play for their state university, maybe some of them don't want to play in their home state for high school.

By the way, Niego is hiding because he made something up about Scruggs and won't admit it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT