ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman

Apr 12, 2019
What were his stats this year? What little I’ve found makes me think he’s a diamond in the rough and will be good right away. How hard did Archie go after him? I have a bad feeling about that dude. I think he’s going to be good. Hope I’m wrong:)

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
What were his stats this year? What little I’ve found makes me think he’s a diamond in the rough and will be good right away. How hard did Archie go after him? I have a bad feeling about that dude. I think he’s going to be good. Hope I’m wrong:)

troll alert

troll alert
Jesus Christ! I’m an IU fan! I was just curious how he did this year and I found something that said he averaged 36 points a game this year. I’m hoping it was wrong but if not that’s pretty darn good. It also said he averaged 15 boards. If all of that is true I wish we had gotten him. This won’t be the last thread about him on this board, I’m sure.

Jesus Christ! I’m an IU fan! I was just curious how he did this year and I found something that said he averaged 36 points a game this year. I’m hoping it was wrong but if not that’s pretty darn good. It also said he averaged 15 boards. If all of that is true I wish we had gotten him. This won’t be the last thread about him on this board, I’m sure.
No those are not his stats.

27.2 and 8.8

"Brandon Newman, Valparaiso: The 6-4 Purdue recruit averaged 27.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game and shot 38.6 percent from the 3-point line for the Vikings. Newman finished his high school career with 1,577 points."
Per Indy Star article on All State.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
"Brandon Newman, Valparaiso: The 6-4 Purdue recruit averaged 27.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game and shot 38.6 percent from the 3-point line for the Vikings. Newman finished his high school career with 1,577 points."
Per Indy Star article on All State.
Right on, so he and that 4/3 star we got from Cathedral is pretty similar to him then? I’m assuming that’s why we didn’t get him? Archie probably said the first one of you to take the scholarship gets it and the other is sol.

Right on, so he and that 4/3 star we got from Cathedral is pretty similar to him then? I’m assuming that’s why we didn’t get? Archie probably said the first one of you to take the scholarship gets it and the other is sol.
Looks like Newman committed first of the two.

If I remember correctly, Newman was scheduled to visit IU. A couple of days before the visit it was reported that Franklin committed to IU on September 7, 2018. Soon after it was reported that Newman's IU visit was canceled. Then Newman committed to Purdue September 19, 2018.
This is accurate. Then there was a bunch of arguing about who cancelled it...heh.

Pretty sure both schools pushed for both players but Franklin and Newman just weren't interested in playing on the same team since they'd take minutes away from each other. It came down to who committed to what school first and Franklin pulled the trigger for IU. IMO it was a no brainer that Newman would land at Purdue after that. Both players will have good college careers

I'm very happy with Franklin and wish Newman the best when he isn't playing IU. From my understanding, Newmann is a slightly better scorer while Franklin is a superior defender and slightly taller. I'm glad we got the guy who wants to be here more, and TJD seems to get along with him very well.

Reactions: 76-1
From Rivals, I think he's a pretty good defender too:

One of the best jump shooters in the Midwest, Newman projects not only as potential multiple year starter in the backcourt who could develop into one of the Big Ten's best two way players, but he's built to come in and contribute from day one.

Though he's more wiry than strong, Newman is tough and he's efficient with his ball handling. In addition to his ability to bomb away from deep, Newman has an excellent mid range game and is capable of finishing through contact and drawing trips to the free throw line. On top of that, he's got tremendous prowess as a defender and should be comfortable switching from his natural shooting guard position onto opposing point guards and small forwards.

Reactions: southernIU27
"After a standout senior season in which he led all Northwest Indiana players in scoring with 27.2 points per game and added 8.8 rebounds a game, Valparaiso's Brandon Newman was one of 15 players named to the 2019 IndyStar Indiana Boys All-Stars, it was announced Tuesday."

From Rivals, I think he's a pretty good defender too:

One of the best jump shooters in the Midwest, Newman projects not only as potential multiple year starter in the backcourt who could develop into one of the Big Ten's best two way players, but he's built to come in and contribute from day one.

Though he's more wiry than strong, Newman is tough and he's efficient with his ball handling. In addition to his ability to bomb away from deep, Newman has an excellent mid range game and is capable of finishing through contact and drawing trips to the free throw line. On top of that, he's got tremendous prowess as a defender and should be comfortable switching from his natural shooting guard position onto opposing point guards and small forwards.

Franklin shot the 3 better than Newman did last year. I think IU got the better guard but I like Newman.

might take 30 seconds to make an account. If you are over the age of 65 might take you all day tho, technology is a bitch.
I was about to post this. I don’t change too often for being banned although the UK board bans me all the time but it’s isually because after one post it won’t let me post again and tells me to buy a sub. I was double billed for a year or so. I will not subscribe again.

I’m on record as saying I wanted Newman more because he was supposedly the better shooter. Then the 2018/19 season played out and Franklin shot much better than I expected. If the guy shoots anywhere close to 40% from distance at IU and keeps playing good D I’ll be more than satisfied with who we ended up with.

Reactions: southernIN28
I’m on record as saying I wanted Newman more because he was supposedly the better shooter. Then the 2018/19 season played out and Franklin shot much better than I expected. If the guy shoots anywhere close to 40% from distance at IU and keeps playing good D I’ll be more than satisfied with who we ended up with.
After looking into them a little I really like both. I wish we had Newman too but I understand why they wouldn’t want to play on the same team. I think both will go down as really good collegiate players. Franklin probably averages what....12 minutes a game next year?

After looking into them a little I really like both. I wish we had Newman too but I understand why they wouldn’t want to play on the same team. I think both will go down as really good collegiate players. Franklin probably averages what....12 minutes a game next year?
I think there are a lot of what ifs left to gage his minutes..... I think he should earn time definitely. I think we need Brunk to allow TJD to play the 4 full time, of Hunter is healthy I think he smith and TJD eat most of the minutes at 3/4 and Al, Green and Rob eat up most of the time at 1/2. That and we still have Watford, Quinones, and Harland out there as well as grad transfers. Will be interesting to see things unfold.

Reactions: calhoun26
Dear Cropper, Burnacct, SouthernIN and all 500 of your other user names,

It's got to be hard knowing that the life you lead disappointed your parents. Knowing that you couldn't get into IU and are banished by the IU message boards has to gnaw at you. Furthermore, spending months upon months of your life spamming the GBI and other Purdue pages is beyond sad. Maybe this is why you're a real life 40-year-old-virgin?

Yes, you're a waste of skin but it's not too late to turn it around. Maybe you could even get a job someday? I'm sure there are toilets that need cleaned down there. You have the right DNA for that type of work! You need counseling very badly. Perhaps it will hit you.... and you'll realize the wasted life you live.

(sorry IU fans; this guy has been spamming for so long and is so out of control. I know it's not your fault. Maybe you can talk some sense into him? He currently has two threads going on the 1st page of GBI and often will have as many as 4 or 5 going. I wish Rivals would IP-ban his ass but apparently they don't do that. He is truly one sick puppy and unfortunately, he gives IU fans a bad name).

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Hoepfullly Archie made the right choice.

We don't know if Archie made any choice at all. It might have been whoever commits first gets the scholarship. Since it appears that we got the player that wanted to be at IU more then I think Archie got the right player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT