ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Brownell

HowaboutaFresca

Newcomer
Mar 23, 2024
Not sure if anyone's mentioned him, but he's an Indiana guy and is doing good work at Clemson. He went to DePauw, I believe. By all accounts he is smart, high character guy and a good basketball coach. He'd be miles better than CMW. And best of all, there's a great chance he'd take the job.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned him, but he's and Indiana guy and is doing good work at Clemson. He went to DePauw, I believe. By all accounts he is smart, high character guy and a good basketball coach. He'd be miles better than CMW. And best of all, there's a great chance he'd take the job.
Yeah and he is an Evansville Harrison graduate. I don't see why you bring him up. We have a coach and he has a job. Neither situation is likely to change. Move on and support the program or don't. End the pointless speculation that serves only to place doubt on our future.

At least let the recruiting period play out before calling for a new coach.

Yeah and he is an Evansville Harrison graduate. I don't see why you bring him up. We have a coach and he has a job. Neither situation is likely to change. Move on and support the program or don't. End the pointless speculation that serves only to place doubt on our future.

Iu needs a new coach. That’s the issue

i think our administration is responsible for placing doubt on our future.

It would take a miracle now for us to be competitive. Woody resigns for any face saving reason, we bring in a big name, recruits flip to us because of the big name, the big name succeeds. A miracle for sure.

It's kind of odd that this announcement was never actually announced. Nothing more descript than "sources say".

They actually indicated a source within the AD's office...as in someone specific who was trusted to be accurate. They just didn't name the source. It was probably Dolson but he simply didn't want his name attached officially. Hence, "a source."

Beyond that there is zero reason to officially announce that someone still under contract would be coming back. No need for that. If he was going to be let go it would have happened by now.

They actually indicated a source within the AD's office...as in someone specific who was trusted to be accurate. They just didn't name the source. It was probably Dolson but he simply didn't want his name attached officially. Hence, "a source."

Beyond that there is zero reason to officially announce that someone still under contract would be coming back. No need for that. If he was going to be let go it would have happened by now.
Oh, I agree he's not going anywhere. I don't think it's that unusual for an AD to give an endorsement, a statement of confidence in your coach in an environment like we've seen here.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned him, but he's an Indiana guy and is doing good work at Clemson. He went to DePauw, I believe. By all accounts he is smart, high character guy and a good basketball coach. He'd be miles better than CMW. And best of all, there's a great chance he'd take the job.
I am liking the way Clemson is playing tonight . Brownell appears fiery.

Clemson played a great game tonight against a tough team but I'd caution against him being anything other than a flavor of the month coach. In 14 seasons he has taken Clemson (a difficult place to win) to only 4 NCAA tournaments. His in-conference record is barely above .500 (128–126) and he hasn't finished higher than 3rd. His recruiting has also been

This Clemson team played very impressive in the tournament so far but the starting 5 are Fifth year senior, fifth year senior, fifth year senior, senior, and a junior. With an experienced starting 5 (and only three produce double figures though a fourth is at 9.8) you expect a cohesive team. While Clemson itself isn't expected to do it, this is the type of teams that make these once in a blue moon deep runs. This is how most mid majors are attempting to cash in on with their deep conference tournament and NCAA tournament runs, by having a strong team of mature players to play well together.

Let's see how Brownell and the Tigers do next season before saying he should be in the drivers seat for the Hoosiers in '25. I really really think, despite how the Miller and Woodson tenures have gone, that Indiana basketball needs to hire a proven coach from a P5 school. We have the money, we have the prestige, we have the technolo... whoops. Maybe things have changed like with Louisville having to hire the College of Charleston, and maybe my expectations are colored by how college football coaches move around, but I don't see why Indiana can't convince a top tier coach to come to Bloomington.

Clemson played a great game tonight against a tough team but I'd caution against him being anything other than a flavor of the month coach. In 14 seasons he has taken Clemson (a difficult place to win) to only 4 NCAA tournaments. His in-conference record is barely above .500 (128–126) and he hasn't finished higher than 3rd. His recruiting has also been

This Clemson team played very impressive in the tournament so far but the starting 5 are Fifth year senior, fifth year senior, fifth year senior, senior, and a junior. With an experienced starting 5 (and only three produce double figures though a fourth is at 9.8) you expect a cohesive team. While Clemson itself isn't expected to do it, this is the type of teams that make these once in a blue moon deep runs. This is how most mid majors are attempting to cash in on with their deep conference tournament and NCAA tournament runs, by having a strong team of mature players to play well together.

Let's see how Brownell and the Tigers do next season before saying he should be in the drivers seat for the Hoosiers in '25. I really really think, despite how the Miller and Woodson tenures have gone, that Indiana basketball needs to hire a proven coach from a P5 school. We have the money, we have the prestige, we have the technolo... whoops. Maybe things have changed like with Louisville having to hire the College of Charleston, and maybe my expectations are colored by how college football coaches move around, but I don't see why Indiana can't convince a top tier coach to come to Bloomington.
TBF, last year Clemson got screwed out of a bid. They finished 14-6 and in 3rd place in the ACC and didn't get a bid. How does that happen? He has also taken Clemson to 2 of their 5 total of Sweet 16s and now only their second Elite 8. It is not an easy place to win... at all.

TBF, last year Clemson got screwed out of a bid. They finished 14-6 and in 3rd place in the ACC and didn't get a bid. How does that happen? He has also taken Clemson to 2 of their 5 total of Sweet 16s and now only their second Elite 8. It is not an easy place to win... at all.
Last year their most notable win OoC was Penn State and they beat a single ranked opponent, going 7-6 in quad 1 and 4 losses in quad 3+4. ACC was super weak last season and a resume like that doesn't always cut it. 1 seed in the NIT and couldn't gut one out against Morehead St.

My biggest issue isn't taking too long to get a team going, Scott Drew has done a fantastic job after taking over what happened in Waco, but, once there's success, I would like to see sustained success.

The IU job is seen as a bad job in higher level coaching circles. We aren't hiring a P5 coach coming off an E8 or FF. Why do you think we dumpster dove last time?

When Woodson is gone we will be taking a flyer on the next hot mid major guy.

The IU job is seen as a bad job in higher level coaching circles. We aren't hiring a P5 coach coming off an E8 or FF. Why do you think we dumpster dove last time?

When Woodson is gone we will be taking a flyer on the next hot mid major guy.
I'm not convinced it's seen as a bad job. Archie Miller was lauded as the best hire of the cycle and definitely had the highest profile. I genuinely believe Woodson was hired because of pressure from the Board and boosters after Dolson swung out of his shoes on Brad Stevens.

I don't see why Indiana isn't in play for Jay Wright wanting to return or Billy Donovan being fired and wanting to still coach. Unless Self or Izzo retire, or Cal gets let go, I don't see another team being able to offer more money and NIL than the Hoosiers. **If** Brownell is the best candidate for us during next cycle then I understand why we will hire him though I think there will be better options. I truly believe like this school has the ability to make an offer a coach can't refuse.

When Woodson is gone we will be taking a flyer on the next hot mid major guy.i
I am not sure we could get major coach not many can look at Michigan and UL. But i certainly think we could have gotten dusty this year. We dumpster dove last time because we did not do an actual search. Woodson was not just some last option we took they never did a real search. The donors are willing to give woodson a six million dollare check to buy players so we could pony up big money to get a coach but they choose the other path.

Since then carpetbaggers that thought being coach of IU meant easy street because after all IU basketball used to be IU BASKETBALL.

The fans of solid programs that have a down stretch console themselves by saying-At least we’re not IU. IU is the poster child in sports for lost former glory.

Siri, please send help. I’ve fallen down and I can’t get up.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMBURNS
Putting together a really good run and with a good team, but my question about Brownell is can he recruit? He's a very good bench coach and has gotten some good players, but not highly rated ones. Wonder how many top 100 kids he has or has ever had? He's built competitive teams, but has never broken into the top tier of the ACC. Maybe Matt Painter lite? Just my impression watching him over the years, and I was really rooting for him coming from Wright St. Good but not great, but maybe he'd step up. I'd talk to him for sure, but that would be my concern.

Reactions: DANC
Last year their most notable win OoC was Penn State and they beat a single ranked opponent, going 7-6 in quad 1 and 4 losses in quad 3+4. ACC was super weak last season and a resume like that doesn't always cut it. 1 seed in the NIT and couldn't gut one out against Morehead St.

My biggest issue isn't taking too long to get a team going, Scott Drew has done a fantastic job after taking over what happened in Waco, but, once there's success, I would like to see sustained success.
Clemson is kind of like the Northwestern of the ACC. Tough place to win. I think he has done a good job.

Putting together a really good run and with a good team, but my question about Brownell is can he recruit? He's a very good bench coach and has gotten some good players, but not highly rated ones. Wonder how many top 100 kids he has or has ever had? He's built competitive teams, but has never broken into the top tier of the ACC. Maybe Matt Painter lite? Just my impression watching him over the years, and I was really rooting for him coming from Wright St. Good but not great, but maybe he'd step up. I'd talk to him for sure, but that would be my concern.
It's Clemson. Kind of like NW of the ACC. Hard to attract top talents when a great deal of them are Eric Bledsoes.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
It's Clemson. Kind of like NW of the ACC. Hard to attract top talents when a great deal of them are Eric Bledsoes.
I get it, I live in SC, but I'm just sharing my concern. He's been there a good long while and is one of the more tenured coaches in the ACC at this point. Produces some good teams and some OK ones... rarely a bad one. I just think people are being deluded by one great run. This team isn't that different than many he's had, imo, I just think it's got better chemistry. He'd coach the crap out of any team, and could undoubtebly get better talent at IU, but I'm not sure he'd ever get us to elite. I have no doubt we'd be in the top half of the B10 and make the tourney every year, which is better than we've had, but is it enough or could he push us even higher? Those would be my concerns if I were the one charged with selecting our HCs. My own guess is he's probably a tier below the level of the Beards and Pearls that have been mentioned here... and I may be dead wrong!

Brownell is a smart and personable guy. He'd recruit just fine at IU. I have zero concerns on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT