ADVERTISEMENT

Coach, you've been 'awful'

He got rid of two experienced big 10 coaches. Maybe he just wants yes men.
You mean Thad and Dane?

Thad was a short term deal anyway and hated to see Dane go, but not much choice.

I don't know but he needs college X and O guys.

You mean Thad and Dane?

Thad was a short term deal anyway and hated to see Dane go, but not much choice.

I don't know but he needs college X and O guys.
Why do you say Thad was short term. 3 years removed and he's still coaching. The ideal situation would have been, let Thad coach as long as he could and then hand it off to Dane.

Last edited:
Reactions: bailey777
Archie's teams played worse perimeter defense and worse defense in general.
No, not even close. Archie’s worst defensive year was his first (2018) rated #65.

Indiana is now ranked #106. You have to go all the way back to Crean’s 2015 team at #200 to get worse than where we are currently.

And, at least Crean had the 8th best offense in the country to overcome the shoddy defense. Woody doesn’t have that luxury with an offense coming in not much better than the defense at #90.

The situation is dire y’all.

Why do you say Thad was short term. 3 years removed and he's still coaching. The ideal situation would have been, let Thad coach as long as he could and then hand it off to Dane.
Matta wasn't coaching. He was admin. He obviously wanted to coach, considering he left to become a coach.

Fife was on Twitter openly disagreeing with IU's position on NLI. He basically said we shouldn't have any. Might as well have quit right then. He basically fired himself.

Those wo were hired to calm people's nerves on the Woodson hire because most people didnt get the hire.. He was supposed to be surrounded by two great bbal minds. It only lasted a year.
If a program has to hire "babysitters" to help the HC adjust to college basketball, that's a major red flag.

Reactions: abraxis and kmathum
Matta wasn't coaching. He was admin. He obviously wanted to coach, considering he left to become a coach.

Fife was on Twitter openly disagreeing with IU's position on NLI. He basically said we shouldn't have any. Might as well have quit right then. He basically fired himself.
What I'm saying is Thad and Dane should have been hired in place of Woody.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I found the transcript of Woodson's post game remarks and it does not look like he called anyone out "by name" but he did say "our starting two guards, they were awful tonight" so maybe same thing.

But he also said "I’ve got to get them over the hump when it comes to defending and rebounding and not turning the ball over, that’s my job to do that, and we failed in that area tonight." so I would say he realizes that he "owns" this team's performance.
It's shocking that IU North would have overlooked that ha ha

there's a bunch of know-it-alls on here for sure. They played in HS, or played D-III or they watched Bob Knight's coach's show so they know everything about everything. And they also, for the most part, don't know a DAMNED THING about what goes on within the program.

One thing they do have on their side is the fact that THIS YEAR, we aren't very good. But, here's the weird thing, most of them weren't smart enough to see it before the season started. I don't know why...we still don't have any shooters. We lost two first round picks. We maybe have another first round pick to replace one of them, but certainly not the other.

Look, I wasn't a fan of the Woodson hire overall. But there are some pretty big blanket statements being made about a guy who has spent more time in and around the game than most on this board could even fantasize about, and has done so with pretty decent results. Hell, to be around as long as he has been in coaching, he'd have to have the respect of a lot of pretty smart basketball minds.

Anyway, I just find it funny to see all of the experts on here trashing Woody and offering their 'solid' evidence of what is/isn't happening and what they would be doing if they were in charge. Carry on with your hysterics.

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
What I'm saying is Thad and Dane should have been hired in place of Woody.
Was Matta physically ready to coach then? The rumor was he turned down the job because he wasnt. You think we should have hired and kept the assistant who thinks we should have no NIL program?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

there's a bunch of know-it-alls on here for sure. They played in HS, or played D-III or they watched Bob Knight's coach's show so they know everything about everything. And they also, for the most part, don't know a DAMNED THING about what goes on within the program.

One thing they do have on their side is the fact that THIS YEAR, we aren't very good. But, here's the weird thing, most of them weren't smart enough to see it before the season started. I don't know why...we still don't have any shooters. We lost two first round picks. We maybe have another first round pick to replace one of them, but certainly not the other.

Look, I wasn't a fan of the Woodson hire overall. But there are some pretty big blanket statements being made about a guy who has spent more time in and around the game than most on this board could even fantasize about, and has done so with pretty decent results. Hell, to be around as long as he has been in coaching, he'd have to have the respect of a lot of pretty smart basketball minds.

Anyway, I just find it funny to see all of the experts on here trashing Woody and offering their 'solid' evidence of what is/isn't happening and what they would be doing if they were in charge. Carry on with your hysterics.
I always think these kind of comments are hilarious.

Dude, it's a message board. LOL

As much as Woody has been around the game you would think his teams would look better coached. This was a huge concern of mine when hiring a guy his age with zero college experience. He is used to a finished product and not developing guys.

Was Matta physically ready to coach then? The rumor was he turned down the job because he wasnt. You think we should have hired and kept the assistant who thinks we should have no NIL program?
I thought we turned him down because of the back. If memory serves. We had him take a physical and then said no thanks.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I thought we turned him down because of the back. If memory serves. We had him take a physical and then said no thanks.
I heard that he told IU he couldn’t physically coach at the time because of his back. Matta was my top choice.

Who’s that, dipshit? If not me, I’ll take basic the dipshit part.
Huh???

A). For someone who likes to criticize people’s grammar, I have no idea what you are saying.

B) why use that language with me?

c). My post has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Hurts to say, but I think you are right.
I’m not going to come on here and bitch after every loss. One, it doesn’t do any good. Two, I have better things to do. That said, the Nebraska game was just embarrassing. I have a feeling it won’t be the last embarrassing loss of the season. We have a three game stretch not too far away that could be three embarrassing losses in a row (PU, @ WI & @ Illinois). Those could all easily be 15pt + losses. Missed shots and bad bounces don’t bother me so much, that shit just happens. What bothers me is we regularly get out-toughed. Out-toughed, out-hustled, out-hearted. That’s the embarrassing part. I’m sure we’ll still have games where we look great and some of us say to ourselves “where the f*** has this team been?”, but I believe they’ll be few and far between.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It's defense and rebounding. It's not god damned rocket science. Woody doesn't have consistent shooters? Ok. That is what it is. But he does have a roster full of highly athletic and highly recruited bball players. They should be able to rebound and play defense at a high level. They did it before the arrived at IU or they wouldn't be there.

If a program has to hire "babysitters" to help the HC adjust to college basketball, that's a major red flag.
No doubt. I hated the Woodson hire but but some tried to spin it as but he is surrounded by great minds. Let's be honest is there any other division one college who would have hired Woodson based solely on his coaching credentials. I highly doubt it.

Exactly what was reported by several who claimed to know.

Huh???

A). For someone who likes to criticize people’s grammar, I have no idea what you are saying.

B) why use that language with me?

c). My post has absolutely nothing to do with you.
Auto correct, and I take back dipshit. ;)

Either way, you offer someone $70 million and they say “no, thank you”, it’s clear they don’t want to be a part of whatever you have.
we didn't offer Brad $70M in 2011. We stuck it out with CTC because he had just landed Cody. It was at that time, after the Butler success, that I think we had our best chance to land BS. Once he went to the Celtics and moved his family to Boston, the ship sailed.

Thad was always headed to Butler. He will likely be the next AD. It was a transitional move to help Woody acclimate to the college game.

we didn't offer Brad $70M in 2011. We stuck it out with CTC because he had just landed Cody. It was at that time, after the Butler success, that I think we had our best chance to land BS. Once he went to the Celtics and moved his family to Boston, the ship sailed.
I didn’t say we offered it in 2011. Probably wouldn’t have been near that much back then. I believe it would’ve been a substantial amount but likely not $70 million.

And if Stevens said he was never formally offered that $70 million contract, that could, technically speaking, be true. Obviously IU would’ve been talking to Stevens’ agent, the agent told Stevens what IU was “prepared” to offer, and Stevens told his agent to tell them “no, I’m not interested in any potential offers”, so no, technically, no “formal” offer was made. And it’s probably handled that way to save a school embarrassment from having an offer that big turned down.

As much as Woody has been around the game you would think his teams would look better coached. This was a huge concern of mine when hiring a guy his age with zero college experience. He is used to a finished product and not developing guys.
I'm not an NBA watcher, but I have been told some of his best successes were with the Hawks when they had Josh Smith (always part of the IU family) and a host of other very young players/players that didn't play in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT