ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Leal

If Leal can defend at a reasonable level it's worth getting him more involved. He's more of a three point threat than anyone else on the team. Unfortunately, he's not going to get his own shot. IU has to run something that allows him to spot up but I don't see any guard on the team drawing a double to free him up and I'm not seeing evidence the bigs are willing to pass it back out.
If he (and Cupps) can be perceived as a threat to hit threes, that should open up the interior. Cupps hit just one yesterday, but it was a big one. He has the shot, just needs the confidence.

Early on in high school he was a shooter, by the time he was being recruited and ending high school, he was much more of an all around player.

His senior year he shot less than 40% from the 3 point line, and less than 80% from the free throw line. He also wasn't a high volume scorer, either in AAU or in HS. He only averaged around 18-19 ppg game. Yet he won Mr Basketball because he was a very good all around player, on a very good team. He was also a leader and good all around player on his AAU team.

Your buddy coached his Indiana Elite team? Or one of his earlier AAU teams?

There are countless articles that talk about him changing his game from being just a shooter, to being an all around player, during high school, and that being why he won Mr Basketball, and ended up at IU.
He changed his game yes but what made him a high major recruit was his shooting ability. He had great range. He was on the best high school team in the state and won state. Won mr basketball in a down year for in state talent.

Are you really using Leal to talk shit about Mack after a game IU won? Why? Why can't you just celebrate Leal's game without having to shit on someone else?

Hes not shooting that poorly, and has improved drastically from early in the year when he was. His EFG% in conference play is 50%, and 41% from three .. on decent volume.

Is it his hair that doesn't allow you to see through your obvious bias or do you have some other issue.

What a jerk ..
2 thoughts:

1. I took the comment as a criticism of coaching decisions, not an attack on another player.

2. You’ve once again gone too far and resorted to name calling. I’d bet you don’t do a helluva lot of that in face-to-face conversations, so why do you do it so often here?

He changed his game yes but what made him a high major recruit was his shooting ability. He had great range. He was on the best high school team in the state and won state. Won mr basketball in a down year for in state talent.
I watched him play a few times in HS. Never struck me as any kind of serious outside shooter at all. Most of his scoring came from drives or cuts to the basket. His team was solid, but they never got a chance to play for a championship. Covid year. And that made him a rather quiet Mr Basketball.

Reactions: bsmitty08
You put the period on your first sentence too soon...

"He changed his game yes but what made him a high major recruit was his shooting ability to go with his size and overall game."

He shot less than 40% from the 3 and less than 80% from the line. If he wasn't 6-5/200 lbs, a dunker type athlete, a good rebounding guard, etc... he wouldn't have sniffed high major looks. And then also, to your point, if he wasn't a good shooter, his size and overall game other than shooting, wouldn't have garnered high major looks either.

You choose to focus on the shooting...that's the common misconception with Leal...he wasn't just a shooter coming out of high school.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Seeing Leal play so well reminded me in some ways of the movie One on One with Robby Benson. In that movie Benson was a high school standout who was recruited by a big name coach. Benson didn't play much and his coach wanted to get rid of him because he didn't believe he was good enough. But Benson was needed to get in there in one game and became a star then. Afterward the coach was praising him, but Benson said that he now could go anywhere he wanted.

I watched him play a few times in HS. Never struck me as any kind of serious outside shooter at all. Most of his scoring came from drives or cuts to the basket. His team was solid, but they never got a chance to play for a championship. Covid year. And that made him a rather quiet Mr Basketball.
He was the unquestioned leader. That team had a bunch of really good, solid players. Probably had a bunch that averaged double figures... He obviously took outside shots, and he's an above average shooter. But was much more of a physical presence than most would ever imagine.

You put the period on your first sentence too soon...

"He changed his game yes but what made him a high major recruit was his shooting ability to go with his size and overall game."

He shot less than 40% from the 3 and less than 80% from the line. If he wasn't 6-5/200 lbs, a dunker type athlete, a good rebounding guard, etc... he wouldn't have sniffed high major looks. And then also, to your point, if he wasn't a good shooter, his size and overall game other than shooting, wouldn't have garnered high major looks either.

You choose to focus on the shooting...that's the common misconception with Leal...he wasn't just a shooter coming out of high school.
Of he and Galloway, Leal was regarded as the shooter coming into the class. Galloway couldn’t throw it in the ocean in high school

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Agree on some things...but Iowa very aggressively attacked the rim on nearly every possession in the second half. So some of this must just be a generalization from what Iowa has been in the past. And Leal did a very good job on their guys that were trying to do that to him...overall anyways. He did get beat a couple times. But held his own more often than not.
Yes. There were times I thought Cupps got muscled out of the way on those drives. Leal was more difficult for Iowa to elbow out of the way.

Reactions: kkott
Leal needs more minutes, or guard play is very poor. Leal can do something we lack..shoot!
I don’t even know how Woodson can attempt to justify not giving him more of a chance in the past. If he couldn’t guard anyone, I would kind of understand. But he is not a bad defender. He moves his feet, positions himself well, and plays good help defense without over helping. He knows his limitations on both ends.
We have been dying for shooting - yet there he sat.

better shooter than Galloway is a far cry from talking about him as a Zeisloft or Roth as a shooter. He's a smart player, who knows what he's supposed to do and helped a ton last night. But, it's not like we've had Pat Graham sitting over their wasting away because our coach didn't know what he was doing.

Early on in high school he was a shooter, by the time he was being recruited and ending high school, he was much more of an all around player.

His senior year he shot less than 40% from the 3 point line, and less than 80% from the free throw line. He also wasn't a high volume scorer, either in AAU or in HS. He only averaged around 18-19 ppg game. Yet he won Mr Basketball because he was a very good all around player, on a very good team. He was also a leader and good all around player on his AAU team.

Your buddy coached his Indiana Elite team? Or one of his earlier AAU teams?

There are countless articles that talk about him changing his game from being just a shooter, to being an all around player, during high school, and that being why he won Mr Basketball, and ended up at IU.
The best part of his game, at least the physical part, was always his shooting.

I don’t even know how Woodson can attempt to justify not giving him more of a chance in the past. If he couldn’t guard anyone, I would kind of understand. But he is not a bad defender. He moves his feet, positions himself well, and plays good help defense without over helping. He knows his limitations on both ends.
We have been dying for shooting - yet there he sat.
He was injured for several games prior to IL, and I think even had a boot at one point.

Leal has gotten scattered minutes but even before last night it always seemed to me that he played competently. No disasters I can recall. Woodson was always complimentary when asked about Leal. Never understood why he didn't play more, people always said stuff like "foot speed."

I had gotten to the point where I thought "well if he just isn't going to play, let him go and use the scholarship more productively" but maybe last night is the start of something. Or maybe it was just a fluke great game, every player has one or two in his career.
Plus, Leal acted like he's been there before. He was the one calling the foul lane huddles.

better shooter than Galloway is a far cry from talking about him as a Zeisloft or Roth as a shooter. He's a smart player, who knows what he's supposed to do and helped a ton last night. But, it's not like we've had Pat Graham sitting over their wasting away because our coach didn't know what he was doing.
Exactly...if he was any sort of elite level shooter, he'd have probably started at IU his whole career.

He's not...he's a good all around player. I have no idea why he was so deep on Woody's bench...seems like he played a little bit for Archie his freshman year?

Reactions: Vern Pain
No. But IU did have a respectable shooter sitting on the bench when they were desperate for one. And watching him defend reasonably well and rebound, well, it's pretty clear he should have been given more of a chance to play in games. That's my belief anyway.

Last edited:
The best part of his game, at least the physical part, was always his shooting.
Probably...but again, he's not wearing an IU jersey if that shooting wasn't coming from a kid that is 6'5/200lbs and has dunker type athleticism. Many people have Leal pegged only as a shooter, and he's not a "good enough" shooter for that to have been a successful role for him...like it was for Roth and Ziesloft. Maybe Woody did the same thing? I have no clue why he hasn't gotten more chances for regular minutes??

Probably...but again, he's not wearing an IU jersey if that shooting wasn't coming from a kid that is 6'5/200lbs and has dunker type athleticism. Many people have Leal pegged only as a shooter, and he's not a "good enough" shooter for that to have been a successful role for him...like it was for Roth and Ziesloft. Maybe Woody did the same thing? I have no clue why he hasn't gotten more chances for regular minutes??
Bad coaching, imo.

No. But IU did have a respectable shooter sitting on the bench when they were desperate for one. And watching him defend reasonably well and rebound, well, it's pretty clear he should have been given more of a chance to plat in games. That's my belief anyway.
No argument on this, for sure. Just pushing back a little on his only contribution being that he's a shooter. If that's what the staff thought of him, that's why he hasn't played a ton, because he's not a good enough shooter for that role.

Bad coaching, imo.
Questioning it myself. I think he solidifies things we've struggled with during Woody's time at IU. I've advocated sporadically for Leal to play more than he has. There was a game his freshman year at Wisconsin that has always stuck out to me. He looked like he belonged on the court size, skill, athleticism wise...when others didn't. When he was relegated to the depths on the bench that he was, I just assumed the staff had good reason for it.

Now...not so sure.

No. But IU did have a respectable shooter sitting on the bench when they were desperate for one. And watching him defend reasonably well and rebound, well, it's pretty clear he should have been given more of a chance to plat in games. That's my belief anyway.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have been, but as I've mentioned, I know he was injured for several games just prior to IL... like 4 games. Think I heard it on a broadcast or Assembly Call because someone asked why he wasn't playing. I just don't want to hear folks piling on our Coach like he's had this incredible shooter sitting there all this time. He played great and was critical to the win last night and has the opportunity now that it looks like X is going to be out. He's got the size and strength to slide over and guard some 3s too, so I think he's gonna get minutes.

Questioning it myself. I think he solidifies things we've struggled with during Woody's time at IU. I've advocated sporadically for Leal to play more than he has. There was a game his freshman year at Wisconsin that has always stuck out to me. He looked like he belonged on the court size, skill, athleticism wise...when others didn't. When he was relegated to the depths on the bench that he was, I just assumed the staff had good reason for it.

Now...not so sure.
Couldn't agree more

2 thoughts:

1. I took the comment as a criticism of coaching decisions, not an attack on another player.

2. You’ve once again gone too far and resorted to name calling. I’d bet you don’t do a helluva lot of that in face-to-face conversations, so why do you do it so often here?
Just another keyboard tough guy. He wouldn't dare say that to your face.

Are you really using Leal to talk shit about Mack after a game IU won? Why? Why can't you just celebrate Leal's game without having to shit on someone else?

Hes not shooting that poorly, and has improved drastically from early in the year when he was. His EFG% in conference play is 50%, and 41% from three .. on decent volume.

Is it his hair that doesn't allow you to see through your obvious bias or do you have some other issue.

What a jerk ..
Whos bias?? So lets let at his overall stats for the year. 45% from 2-------32% from 3 Actual in conference stats, not made up ones which I found on SRCBB are: 40% from 2-------38% from 3. I dont like stats when taken out of context, Its what hes done in an IU jersey for the year that really counts. But if you like the in conference ones to support your narrative, it sure does not look like a whole lot of improvement. Why cant you just celebrate a win without calling someone a jerk. Whats your issue?

True story. Then he should have taken the layup.
I’m pretty sure he could’ve. He had exactly the lane that he normally attacks and scores. At first I thought damn, he didn’t see it, but quickly realized he’d actually made an intelligent play. Good on him. Especially if he doesn’t get fouled and have to earn them from the line.

Reactions: Willdog7
Seeing Leal play so well reminded me in some ways of the movie One on One with Robby Benson. In that movie Benson was a high school standout who was recruited by a big name coach. Benson didn't play much and his coach wanted to get rid of him because he didn't believe he was good enough. But Benson was needed to get in there in one game and became a star then. Afterward the coach was praising him, but Benson said that he now could go anywhere he wanted.
Never thought I see this reference, but a Great sports movie from the 70’s nonetheless!!
GD Spradlin was outstanding as the Antagonist coach, who wants to get rid of Benson, goes as far as having his goons on the team rough him up in practice to make him quit. And then after Benson wins a game tells Spradlin “up yours with a red hot poker!!! I can go anywhere I want!”

Never thought I see this reference, but a Great sports movie from the 70’s nonetheless!!
GD Spradlin was outstanding as the Antagonist coach, who wants to get rid of Benson, goes as far as having his goons on the team rough him up in practice to make him quit. And then after Benson wins a game tells Spradlin “up yours with a red hot poker!!! I can go anywhere I want!”
When I watched that movie I was struck by an apparent similarity of that coach to John Wooden. He came across as a nice older gentlemen during the recruiting, but that changed once practices started.

2 thoughts:

Leal has the size Kyle Hornsby had as a wing player. That team used him, used Moye, used Jeffries, as wings at different times. All very different players.

Woodson sticks to a very rigid line up and has not given much thought to Leal as a possible wing in what would be a senior vs freshman in terms of minutes.

I imagine Mgbako is better in practice and as a defender if we asked Woodson. But the numbers suggest Leal could be under utilized. Certainly in terms of shooting.

Bobby Wilkerson is my all time favorite IUBB player. He could do it all but bought into RMK's vision of a winning team as a roll player. Jump center, rebound, run the court, play smothering D, ball handling, passing and be a scorer. Pretty complete.
Wilkerson was a pleasure to watch. You couldn’t find a kid willing to play the role/roles he played today.

Yes. There were times I thought Cupps got muscled out of the way on those drives. Leal was more difficult for Iowa to elbow out of the way.
Leal has 3-4" and about 30 lbs on Cupps, and three more years experience playing against D1 players (at least in practice).

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT