ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Leal

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
The guy who was already leading the team in fg% and 3pt% in extremely limited minutes..... also hit shots when he played extended minutes.

Kind of makes you wonder why he hasn't been playing all along?

Then there's the guy who went 4-17 tonight, who is also shooting poorly on the season. He's down there in Josh Newkirk territory but a lot of people haven't realized that.

The guy who was already leading the team in fg% and 3pt% in extremely limited minutes..... also hit shots when he played extended minutes.

Then there's the guy who went 4-17 tonight, who is also shooting poorly on the season. He's down there in Josh Newkirk territory but a lot of people haven't realized that.
the guys on assembly call are going nuts over leal probably because he is what iu used to be. He was like todd leary tonight.

Are you really using Leal to talk shit about Mack after a game IU won? Why? Why can't you just celebrate Leal's game without having to shit on someone else?

Hes not shooting that poorly, and has improved drastically from early in the year when he was. His EFG% in conference play is 50%, and 41% from three .. on decent volume.

Is it his hair that doesn't allow you to see through your obvious bias or do you have some other issue.

What a jerk ..

Are you really using Leal to talk shit about Mack after a game IU won? Why? Why can't you just celebrate Leal's game without having to shit on someone else?

Hes not shooting that poorly, and has improved drastically from early in the year when he was. His EFG% in conference play is 50%, and 41% from three .. on decent volume.

Is it his hair that doesn't allow you to see through your obvious bias or do you have some other issue.

What a jerk ..
There are a lot of them on this forum

I was very happy to see Leal succeed last night. Let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves. The Iowa backcourt was a decent match up for him. They're not very quick (Perkins is more of a bulldog), they'd rather shoot 3s vs drive to the hole, and defense has always been an after thought with Fran's teams. There are other B1G backcourts that will exploit Leal's lack of defensive quickness more than Iowa was able to do. I do agree, he's earned more playing time and I'd like to see him get a solid 15 min/game and see what happens.

Got confidence AL with 6th man minutes would be 3rd/4th leading scorer every game, consistently. He very reliably doesn't get himself in bad position, O or D. He displays a calm fierceness.
He's also 6-5, 205, which compares to 6-2, 175 for Gabe Cupps. Leal got 7 rebounds last night and frequently got in the mix under the basket.

Leal's size should not be overlooked. Leal is actually listed as being bigger than Quinn Buckner's listing (plus he shoots better, too).

I wish and hope Leal can bank on his 3 pt shooting. Leal may be the missing recruit the Hoosiers need,plus he has another year. McNeeley and Leal hopefully will help IU shooting woes. If we can get DQ also ,IU should be pretty good.

He's also 6-5, 205, which compares to 6-2, 175 for Gabe Cupps. Leal got 7 rebounds last night and frequently got in the mix under the basket.

Leal's size should not be overlooked. Leal is actually listed as being bigger than Quinn Buckner's listing (plus he shoots better, too).
Quinn could not shoot, he was a leader.

I was very happy to see Leal succeed last night. Let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves. The Iowa backcourt was a decent match up for him. They're not very quick (Perkins is more of a bulldog), they'd rather shoot 3s vs drive to the hole, and defense has always been an after thought with Fran's teams. There are other B1G backcourts that will exploit Leal's lack of defensive quickness more than Iowa was able to do. I do agree, he's earned more playing time and I'd like to see him get a solid 15 min/game and see what happens.
Agree on some things...but Iowa very aggressively attacked the rim on nearly every possession in the second half. So some of this must just be a generalization from what Iowa has been in the past. And Leal did a very good job on their guys that were trying to do that to him...overall anyways. He did get beat a couple times. But held his own more often than not.

...and beside scoring, adequate D, a big guard rebounding is something this team needs...

Reactions: CriticArisen
True, but Leal showed more in one game than Gunn has his entire career.
Leal has gotten scattered minutes but even before last night it always seemed to me that he played competently. No disasters I can recall. Woodson was always complimentary when asked about Leal. Never understood why he didn't play more, people always said stuff like "foot speed."

I had gotten to the point where I thought "well if he just isn't going to play, let him go and use the scholarship more productively" but maybe last night is the start of something. Or maybe it was just a fluke great game, every player has one or two in his career.

Leal has gotten scattered minutes but even before last night it always seemed to me that he played competently. No disasters I can recall. Woodson was always complimentary when asked about Leal. Never understood why he didn't play more, people always said stuff like "foot speed."

I had gotten to the point where I thought "well if he just isn't going to play, let him go and use the scholarship more productively" but maybe last night is the start of something. Or maybe it was just a fluke great game, every player has one or two in his career.
With more time comes more confidence. Leal looked comfortable against Iowa and wasn't afraid to shoot.

Will last night be a stepping-stone? I have no clue. But it's possible if Leal continues to get minutes and isn't hesitant to shoot.

You just have to feel good for the kid. He talked about the honor of even putting the IU uniform on during practice. He is IU through and through. Plus, it was kind of cool that he advertised his real estate business. Free advertising is usually a good business move.
I lOVED the pic of Leal and CM hugging afterwords.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I didn't realize Leal was 6'5, doesn't appear to be that tall. JMO, but he definitely earned more playing time based on his performance last night. He might be the best defender on the team but they definitely need his outside shooting, if nothing else than to free up the inside for Ware & MR who hopefully isn't out for long.

I hated to see the injury to X. I personally don't like his attitude & like many, felt after the "nut job" should have been kicked off them. Not just for that but for the accumulation of things he has done on & off the court. I dont recall any player that has committed as many transgressions & still remained on the team as X. That said, the team does need his defensive & driving the lane abilities if IU hopes to have any chance to make the dance.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Leal loved IU and did not want to go.

Agree on some things...but Iowa very aggressively attacked the rim on nearly every possession in the second half. So some of this must just be a generalization from what Iowa has been in the past. And Leal did a very good job on their guys that were trying to do that to him...overall anyways. He did get beat a couple times. But held his own more often than not.
Everybody gets beat a couple times. No reason to point that out. Leal was great last night and deserves more playing time. That's all that needs to be said. He did a better job than Galloway defensively, imo.

Exactly…he can be a Matt Roth, Ziesloft type impact but Woody has refused to play him
I don't believe he's that level a shooter, but he's also had a nagging injury for many of the last several games. It was a great story for one night and he helped get a win. He's gonna get more minutes if X is out, so we'll see what he can do, but he's not been available for several games prior to IL and I think maybe was in a boot at some point. I heard it discussed on one of the podcast shows.

Exactly…he can be a Matt Roth, Ziesloft type impact but Woody has refused to play him
Don't put him in the Roth or Ziesloft category as a pure shooter just yet.

Before last night, AL was 18/56 career on3s (32.1%) and 72.2% of FTs (with fewer FTs than 3s). After last night he's up to 35.6% on 3s.

And, unlike the other two, he's always been a reluctant shooter.......so he's a lifetime 35.6% shooter on wide-open 3s.

I always thought the guy could play, but only if he got up to about 40% with a quicker trigger. If he's there....outstanding. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Before last night, AL was 18/56 career on3s (32.1%) and 72.2% of FTs (with fewer FTs than 3s). After last night he's up to 35.6% on 3s.

And, unlike the other two, he's always been a reluctant shooter.......so he's a lifetime 35.6% shooter on wide-open 3s.

I always thought the guy could play, but only if he got up to about 40% with a quicker trigger. If he's there....outstanding. Couldn't happen to a better guy.
Consistent playing time and in the flow of the game would have increased his shooting %. He was brought in for his shooting ability

He's not a traditional "knock down" shooter, and never has been. He won the Mr Basketball for his all around game, not because he was an elite outside shooter. He is a solid shooter, but Leal has always brought more to the table than the commonly held perception that he's a slow, unathletic, shooter. Leal dunks very easily, as an example, and has decent overall quickness. I didn't love he and Trey coming in the same class because I knew Anthony was more similar to Trey than most realized, but Trey was a better overall athlete, and Anthony wasn't enough better of a shooter for him to separate himself.

But here we are now, glad to have him, and have had him, as part of our program. And I'm excited to see what he can do the rest of the year. He has shown bursts of very good play before, however. I remember a Wisconsin game a few years ago up at Kohl center, where he hit a couple big shots, and played a very good overall game. For whatever reason, he's never stuck as a rotation level player. Hope he does this time.

Consistent playing time and in the flow of the game would have increased his shooting %. He was brought in for his shooting ability
Not true. He was brought in because he won Indiana Mr Basketball, as a very good all around basketball player. He can shoot just fine, but he's never been an elite level shooter, and wasn't regarded as one coming out of HS.

Not true. He was brought in because he won Indiana Mr Basketball, as a very good all around basketball player. He can shoot just fine, but he's never been an elite level shooter, and wasn't regarded as one coming out of HS.
His best skill set was as a shooter. My buddy was his AAU coach

If Leal can defend at a reasonable level it's worth getting him more involved. He's more of a three point threat than anyone else on the team. Unfortunately, he's not going to get his own shot. IU has to run something that allows him to spot up but I don't see any guard on the team drawing a double to free him up and I'm not seeing evidence the bigs are willing to pass it back out.

Reactions: Willdog7
His best skill set was as a shooter. My buddy was his AAU coach
Early on in high school he was a shooter, by the time he was being recruited and ending high school, he was much more of an all around player.

His senior year he shot less than 40% from the 3 point line, and less than 80% from the free throw line. He also wasn't a high volume scorer, either in AAU or in HS. He only averaged around 18-19 ppg game. Yet he won Mr Basketball because he was a very good all around player, on a very good team. He was also a leader and good all around player on his AAU team.

Your buddy coached his Indiana Elite team? Or one of his earlier AAU teams?

There are countless articles that talk about him changing his game from being just a shooter, to being an all around player, during high school, and that being why he won Mr Basketball, and ended up at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT