ADVERTISEMENT

Biden getting grilled by all of the reporters at this press conference.

Not really, or at least not by much. Cash flow is better now anyway. Living mostly on the dole is pretty sweet.
Mark, you more for staples like groceries, gas (50% more), and energy. You did get a large increase in SS because of inflation, but that 3% increase isn't close to inflation overall.

Each individual varies, but look at the credit card debt consumers have run it. Not everyone is on the dole.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You should look at historical GDP data before you make that claim. Hint: 1992 and 2020 both had improving GDP by year end. Now, how much credit should we attribute to a newly elected president on a budget from the previous admin?

20 had to have improving gdp as unemployment hit double digits but finished still around over 6 percent off memory.

Main thing about economies for me is to watch regulations. Pubs historically want to deregulate, which almost always pushes the greed side and implodes on itself. Dems typically want more safety controls which big business hates but it keeps the economy from over leveraging itself since....that's what unbridled capitalism does.

Of course all of these are in general.

The Glass-Stegal act of 1933, put in place to regulate banks to prohibit playing in commercial and investment banking was deregulated in 1995....and sure as shit banks over leveraged themselves and imploded a decade later. Yes that was under Clinton and imploded under Bush. His third market crash of his tenure.

Instead of pointing to the dude, I think it's more fair to point to the attitude of deregulation.

The other thing is Dems want to tax corporations higher, pubs don't thinking revenues will be shared because those at the top are the sharing type. Problem with that attitude is low corporate tax rates means more profits stay at the top (upper management bonuses, stock buybacks, etc).

When a corporation has a higher tax rate, it accidentally incentives them to reinvest those profits to bring their taxable income down.

That's what trickle down is supposed to be.

I believe the corporate tax rate was crazy, like 90% under Eisenhower and our economy flourished with a very healthy middle class. Reagan started lowering that in the 80's, along with destroying unions, along with deregulating and the wealth gap has predictably skyrocketed, two to five companies control everything and we're smack back in a new guilded age.

But mainly it's from lack of oversight from deregulation.

In my humble opinion of course.

Reactions: ribbont
I don't need to hear anything else to know you're a partisan hack. Anytime you make an exception for "The Other Guy Who Is Currently In Office" that means you're an idiot.

I can vouch for Ribbont....yes he's definitely conservative leaning but he's crazy smart and very, very well reasoned in his communication.

I don't like it when we're in the same thread cuz I know with him I can't do drive by stuff and leave (which is a good thing, I'd LOVE if we could discuss things with a modicum of good faith).

I can vouch for Ribbont....yes he's definitely conservative leaning but he's crazy smart and very, very well reasoned in his communication.

I don't like it when we're in the same thread cuz I know with him I can't do drive by stuff and leave (which is a good thing, I'd LOVE if we could discuss things with a modicum of good faith).
I could tell ribbont is very intelligent - he likes many of my posts. :)

Wouldn’t you like to wake up tomorrow morning and find Trump is incapacitated and that Biden has resigned/retired and that Kamalalala has stated that she will definitely not run as the incumbent?

Brand new day. Brand new world. Start fresh.
You should just accept you have no control over the matter other than to vote and not worry about it at all until its time to vote. Fixating oneself on wishful fantasies like that will only ruin whatever contentment you could have had.

Every day is brand new day .. how you choose to react to it is completely up to you.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You should just accept you have no control over the matter other than to vote and not worry about it at all until its time to vote. Fixating oneself on wishful fantasies like that will only ruin whatever contentment you could have had.

Every day is brand new day .. how you choose to react to it is completely up to you.
Barf

Per usual, you're not wrong.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Buy land, build a home on a hill, grow/can food, raise livestock, build a perimeter, fortify your position, teach your kids to shoot, rebound, play defense, and run some freaking secondary action on offense!!

Okay, I'm cool with that. To be fair, lots of really smart people are also partisan hacks.

I certainly didn’t live better under Trump. Why do you assume Mark did?
dem success GIF

20 had to have improving gdp as unemployment hit double digits but finished still around over 6 percent off memory.

Main thing about economies for me is to watch regulations. Pubs historically want to deregulate, which almost always pushes the greed side and implodes on itself. Dems typically want more safety controls which big business hates but it keeps the economy from over leveraging itself since....that's what unbridled capitalism does.

The Glass-Stegal act of 1933, put in place to regulate banks to prohibit playing in commercial and investment banking was deregulated in 1995....and sure as shit banks over leveraged themselves and imploded a decade later. Yes that was under Clinton and imploded under Bush. His third market crash of his tenure.

Instead of pointing to the dude, I think it's more fair to point to the attitude of deregulation.

The other thing is Dems want to tax corporations higher, pubs don't thinking revenues will be shared because those at the top are the sharing type. Problem with that attitude is low corporate tax rates means more profits stay at the top (upper management bonuses, stock buybacks, etc).

When a corporation has a higher tax rate, it accidentally incentives them to reinvest those profits to bring their taxable income down.

I believe the corporate tax rate was crazy, like 90% under Eisenhower and our economy flourished with a very healthy middle class. Reagan started lowering that in the 80's, along with destroying unions, along with deregulating and the wealth gap has predictably skyrocketed, two to five companies control everything and we're smack back in a new guilded age.

I think regulations go both ways.. I was not in favor of the repeal of Glass-Steagal but I don't lay all the blame at the feet of banks. The government makes the rules. We just play by them, or find new ways to play around them. There are videos of hearings where the Bush admin warned about Freddie and Fannie and the loans. Dems just blew it off. Funny how Pub wanted to regulate more but Dems didn't.

The regulations on the oil industry hurt our economy. As I stated to Goat, Biden's early decisions helped to increase oil prices 59% in 2021. It was not the only cause but it didn't help economically. And I am not saying it's bad. I mean, I think it's bad, but if one thinks climate change is the #1 existential threat, then they probably think it was a great move by Biden. But it did hurt the economy.

We can debate history and economic cause and effect another time. My point to you was about Pubs handing off bad economies to Dems and that is not accurate. Carter handed Reagan a declining economy. Bush handed Clinton an improving GDP. Clinton handed Bush a slowing economy. Bush handed Obama a bad economy. Obama handed Trump a meh economy. And Trump handed Biden an improving economy. The GDP numbers support all of that.

Now, how much did each president affect GDP can be a never ending debate, a debate to nowhere. But pubs don't always hand over bad economies.

Okay, I'm cool with that. To be fair, lots of really smart people are also partisan hacks.

If you have an example of an action of President that had a direct economic impact, please share. I agreed with the main crux of your post but I provided a recent example of an act or acts of a president that DID directly affect the economy. I didn't voice an opinion on the act, just that it hurt the economy. Some people loved the rising oil prices to save the planet.

That's not being a hack. That's creating a discussion. Like I said, provide an example.

What do you think the % of the country that would rather vote none of the above?

Has to be like 65-70%. Never in history have two more unpopular politicians run for POTUS. 2016 was about as bad, but this is worse.
We all thought Hillary vs Trump was the liquid bottom of the dumpster...

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I am more crazy than smart nowadays. But thank you for the kind words.

I hate to break it to you but you’re not getting away with the drive by stuff in the other threads either. You completely disgraced and embarrassed yourself with your bloviating about the Heritage Foundation in the other thread.

Let us dispense with this fantasy that you have more to offer than drive by stuff. You definitely do not.

I certainly didn’t live better under Trump. Why do you assume Mark did?

Because he's paying out the ass for gas and groceries. And so are you.
She’s lying. She wouldn’t dare admit she was wrong and her life was better under Trump. She’s one of those soft brained, emotional clown, liberal idiots that have helped ruin this country by agreeing and voting for the scum of the earth and their wack job ideas and policies.

• Love
Reactions: DANC
If you have an example of an action of President that had a direct economic impact, please share. I agreed with the main crux of your post but I provided a recent example of an act or acts of a president that DID directly affect the economy. I didn't voice an opinion on the act, just that it hurt the economy. Some people loved the rising oil prices to save the planet.

That's not being a hack. That's creating a discussion. Like I said, provide an example.
All I'm saying is you agreed with me, except Biden is so bad you make an exception for him. I'm saying that's a huge red flag.

Almost none. Just as we should attribute almost none to the President before him. The President has almost no control over GDP. The President is basically a figurehead. He gets to decide which bad guys we send special forces after, sure. He does things. But he has almost no power over the economy whatsoever, beyond going on TV and freaking people out by saying stupid shit.
I’ve been saying this for many years. Glad to see a Democrat agreeing finally.

Never ever again, use those words together.
Republican Putin is less offensive. No matter how much sailboatsubmarine with an Hawaiian screen name loves him.
He would have been a good solid Republican President. People like you elected Obama instead.

That delegation would need to make an airtight case that whoever they would put up in his stead would be able to beat Trump. That leaves Harris out. I'd go along with Newsome or Shapiro or even Manchin if they could pull that off.
Newsome would lose.

Reactions: DANC

You’ve said this before and it’s still wrong. There was only one stock market crash during GWB’s terms, the financial crisis at the end of his administration, and the President had nothing to do with it. That was right after getting the budget deficit down to about $60 billion. The crash blew that up. The dot com crash happened during Clinton’s term. Kind of appropriate because the dot com boom was most responsible for our budget surpluses.

All I'm saying is you agreed with me, except Biden is so bad you make an exception for him. I'm saying that's a huge red flag.

No, more of a recency bias since it was a big unilateral decision that affected the economy in a large way. And is was basically on day one.

Again, if you have a similar example of a Republican president, I am all ears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT