ADVERTISEMENT

Biden forgives $10,000 of student loan debt for millions of debtors

1. How does he have the power to do this? Under what law or Constitutional provision?

2. Isn't he just buying the votes of rich suburbanites (with taxpayer money) to the detriment of the working class?
Correct. The Executive has no power to change laws without the consent of the legislature. Unless we're talking about voting laws of course. There's some special provision in the Constitution for election laws...or so I'm told.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

1. How does he have the power to do this? Under what law or Constitutional provision?

2. Isn't he just buying the votes of rich suburbanites (with taxpayer money) to the detriment of the working class?

I guess I don't understand how these loans work. Is it actually government money that was borrowed or is it federally backed money that can't be canceled but will have to be paid off by the fed gov with our tax dollars? So is canceled or is something that has to be paid off?

Reactions: vesuvius13

Try this, https://www.forbes.com/sites/markka...s-by-issuing-new-regulations/?sh=427635741401.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I guess I don't understand how these loans work. Is it actually government money that was borrowed or is it federally backed money that can't be canceled but will have to be paid off by the fed gov with our tax dollars? So is canceled or is something that has to be paid off?

I believe this will only impact federal student loans, I do not think people who have private student loans will have it the forgiveness.

I’ve read some millennial and Gen Z defense of the move citing predatory loan practices. The claim is that us olds who paid back our loans had reasonable interest rates.

OK fine. Instead of forgiving loan balances, take them all to 0% interest rate.

Or, I don't know, make people honor their commitments?
There's a lot of shitty stuff out there - even with good schools. Wash U Law by way of example was cooking their placement books. They would send recent grads to local firms and literally pay their internship/salary and count them as placed. 10k isn't shit to that world, but still....

Anyway I'm with you in theory. I'd rather see interest/penalties dumped; loans dischargeable in bankruptcy, etc.

Schools are culpable too.. I think we're going to see some revisions in education in the coming years. Personally I'd rather have 300k in cash than the lost income and a bachelor's degree in whatever.

I’ve read some millennial and Gen Z defense of the move citing predatory loan practices. The claim is that us olds who paid back our loans had reasonable interest rates.

The $10,000 does little more than take away the interest from my wife's student loan.

I would have forgiven all interest that had previously been added to the loans and then set them to 0% interest. You can push people to make payments by utilizing late fees.

I honestly don't know and am too lazy to look it up, but...would federally backed student loans have some kind of cap on the interest rate charged? Or are the federally backed ones just as predatory as anyone else?

There's a lot of shitty stuff out there - even with good schools. Wash U Law by way of example was cooking their placement books. They would send recent grads to local firms and literally pay their internship/salary and count them as placed. 10k isn't shit to that world, but still....

Anyway I'm with you in theory. I'd rather see interest/penalties dumped; loans dischargeable in bankruptcy, etc.
Then sue the school.

Why do taxpayers foot the bill for that deception or just plain bad financial decisions? Hell, this bill isn't even limited to that--so you took out a loan to go to Harvard or an out-of-state school instead of attending your in-state public school for an affordable amount. Now we subsidize that decision?

I honestly don't know and am too lazy to look it up, but...would federally backed student loans have some kind of cap on the interest rate charged? Or are the federally backed ones just as predatory as anyone else?

Reactions: larsIU
Then sue the school.

Why do taxpayers foot the bill for that deception or just plain bad financial decisions? Hell, this bill isn't even limited to that--so you took out a loan to go to Harvard or an out-of-state school instead of attending your in-state public school for an affordable amount. Now we subsidize that decision?
Agreed

Kinda what I figured. So, we're really not hitting the problem area of truly predatory (as in high interest rate) student loans b/c, well, they're private.

This is just people getting 10k in relief for what might have been a bad decision on degree selection.

Here's hoping it is challenged and the SCt strikes it down.

I don't really care one way or the other. There are probably better ways to spend the money, but it also probably fits the "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". I'm not a big believer everyone is going to stiff Visa on their cc bills because they learned they don't have to pay this. For me, its just meh.

I say that as one who paid off all his PLUS loans at the very beginning of COVID. I didn't expect the pause in interest/repayment to last and thought I'd just get them over with. So in one regard, I messed up and missed out on $10,000 forgiveness. On the other hand, I don't care. I don't judge programs by how they benefit me personally. I'd probably support it if the caps were closer to $75,000/$150,000 to make it less of a benefit for the upper-middle.

Then sue the school.

Many people tried that years ago against law schools for completely lying about their employment statistics. For example, saying 98% of our grads are employed 9 months after graduation with a starting salary averaging $100k with the real numbers being 40% employed and a $40k average salary.

Those lawsuits all failed and if I remember correctly courts said they failed the 'but for' test. Yes we agree the law schools lied and cooked the books but even if you had known the real numbers beforehand you still would've borrowed the money and enrolled anyways. Makes sense.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
I don't really care one way or the other. There are probably better ways to spend the money, but it also probably fits the "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". I'm not a big believer everyone is going to stiff Visa on their cc bills because they learned they don't have to pay this. For me, its just meh.

I say that as one who paid off all his PLUS loans at the very beginning of COVID. I didn't expect the pause in interest/repayment to last and thought I'd just get them over with. So in one regard, I messed up and missed out on $10,000 forgiveness. On the other hand, I don't care. I don't judge programs by how they benefit me personally. I'd probably support it if the caps were closer to $75,000/$150,000 to make it less of a benefit for the upper-middle.

They don't benefit you personally but they hurt you. your tax dollars will go to pay this off. a plumber who never took out any loans and instead of getting wasted for four years away at college worked and now has to contribute to subsidizing a portion of that kid's college. Right? That's what i was trying to ascertain w/ re to the gov canceling something (accounting) versus actually having to take tax payers monies to pay it off

Many people tried that years ago against law schools for completely lying about their employment statistics. For example, saying 98% of our grads are employed 9 months after graduation with a starting salary averaging $100k with the real numbers being 40% employed and a $40k average salary.

Those lawsuits all failed and if I remember correctly courts said they failed the 'but for' test. Yes we agree the law schools lied and cooked the books but even if you had known the real numbers beforehand you still would've borrowed the money and enrolled anyways. Makes sense.
I remember those lawsuits. I didn't follow up to see what happened. interesting

But don’t you care about authoritarianism?

Reactions: DANC and jet812
wish I hadn't worked so hard to pay back that 100K now....
Didn't you read that only 10K would be waived, and only if you met all conditions?

So you did good in paying off 90K that you would have had to pay now, if you hadn't before.

10K isn't really much in an era where private schools are north of 65K per YEAR in tuition and fees.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Didn't you read that only 10K would be waived, and only if you met all conditions?

So you did good in paying off 90K that you would have had to pay now, if you hadn't before.

10K isn't really much in an era where private schools are north of 65K per YEAR in tuition and fees.
What does waived mean?

In what way? I don't see the link between a Stalin/Mao/Hitler and $10,000 forgiveness on public student loans.
I'm using authoritarianism in the way it has been used to refer to Trump and DeSantis--one man usurping the democratic process to single-handedly enact disputed policy.

He--single-handedly--added over $300 billion to our federal deficit (in just the first year!). That's really not relevant at all?

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

I'm using authoritarianism in the way it has been used to refer to Trump and DeSantis--one man usurping the democratic process to single-handedly enact disputed policy.

He--single-handedly--added over $300 billion to our federal deficit (in just the first year!). That's really not relevant at all?

Sure, I'd MUCH prefer congress pass laws. I'd also prefer they don't pass massive loopholes. If the courts rule he has this power, congress passing the law referenced by Forbes is to blame. If they rule he doesn't have the power, great. It is part of the reason I'm not a huge supporter of the bill. Laws should come out of the legislature.

As near as I can tell is that at least since Madison there has been a tug of war between the executive and the legislative on power.

But more than this one, congress giving the power to the president to engage militarily in the Middle East at the drop of a hat would be the first law I want to be removed for this reason.

I'm quite happy to let the court decide if he has the power.

We should show similar outrage to the billionaires not paying their rightful share of taxes that would far exceed the $350 billion this maneuver creates.

But I think 0% interest would have been better than canceling the debt.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
We should show similar outrage to the billionaires not paying their rightful share of taxes that would far exceed the $350 billion this maneuver creates.

If the president came in and through a regulation or Executive Order forgave $350 billion legitimately owed by billionares under an Act of Congress, you can be damned sure I'd be showing similar outrage.

Somebody said there may have been something buried in the Obamacare legislation about this. I haven’t looked at it though.

Reform the tax code. But instead we just get bigger gov to hassle middle class and small businesses.

This loan forgiveness is a bit odd to piggyback on an inflation reduction act.

Our gov is a clown show. We need new reps. Reps who will speak the truth and not mince words. #luismiguel.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
But someone has to pay it. Us. Just not the individual who contracted to pay it
Elections have consequences. He is doing what he said he would do. This authoritarianism is allowed, that kind is not. I stand to benefit (I think, depending on details) and this is totally ridiculous as pointed out by several posters already, but if you voted for anyone other than Trump in the last election, this was the choice. The watered down green new deal was the choice. Joe did not run as a moderate.

This also kind of gets to my point in the abortion thread. The GOP better start to stand for something. From what I heard, the NAACP wasn't really cool with this handout for the reasons already mentioned (it is a payoff to those who already have opportunity) and now would be a good time to come and make that conservative case to that community. They take the money from you and use it to buy votes. Don't you think that you should be able to hold onto what you make? With a good job?

Elections have consequences. He is doing what he said he would do. This authoritarianism is allowed, that kind is not. I stand to benefit (I think, depending on details) and this is totally ridiculous as pointed out by several posters already, but if you voted for anyone other than Trump in the last election, this was the choice. The watered down green new deal was the choice. Joe did not run as a moderate.

This also kind of gets to my point in the abortion thread. The GOP better start to stand for something. From what I heard, the NAACP wasn't really cool with this handout for the reasons already mentioned (it is a payoff to those who already have opportunity) and now would be a good time to come and make that conservative case to that community. They take the money from you and use it to buy votes. Don't you think that you should be able to hold onto what you make? With a good job?
You can always follow so many others down to the great state of florida. The FREE state of florida. no income tax. your house is your castle and not subject to court recovery. the reps have your back. if the feds come calling the reps are locked and loaded. cars still sound like cars. by god they pump gas right off the coast of siesta key. and it's your damn car. if it starts, drive it dammit! there's no state inspections. no emissions bullshit. if you've got a 70s hoopdie that won't pass inspection roll back the clock in florida and drive that bitch!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT