ADVERTISEMENT

BayernFan- Angie's List just cancelled $40 million expansion

30 some odd other states have the same bill plus Clinton passed the

National version in 1993. It's more knee-jerk reactions than media-driven. In the end, I'll bet most stay put/build/etc when all is said and done.

That's simply not true.

19 states have this law, not 30, and they all vary in language. The Indiana RFRA is quite different from most other versions, including the federal version.

That talking point has been pushed pretty hard, but as usual....

it falls far short of the truth.

Indiana could have passed a RFRA law similar to Utah (or even Texas!) and it wouldn't have made many headlines, but the GOP screwed this one up pretty bad.

I dont know all the details but I read another report saying this deal

wasnt the best option for Indy anyway. Tax payer dollars were going to go a business that can't turn a profit.

Dont take this as me supporting what Pence did. I struggle to see why he would sign a bill that looks like the majority of Indiana natives oppose.

Angie's list was looking for an out in this anyway. This just gave them an excuse. They're in financial ruins.

By the way...saying that, I do not support this bill...do not group me in that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I wrote it backwards. Meant 30 some odd don't have it. As for varying

Language, I'm sure that's also true, but unless even those on the left side of the aisle are lying, then the basic concepts of each bill are intended for the same purpose.

The bill was beyond stupid, but so was supporting the Angie's List expansion. This JS actually a positive development.

But the bill is still so, so stupid.

Anyone who says that is, in fact, lying.

In real life, most early RFRAs, including the federal version, were intended to allow Native Americans to take peyote. Most modern RFRAs are intended to protect businesses, churches and organizations who don't want to from having to come into contact with The Ghey.

Stones concert may be cancelled...

According to a friend, but not good how much of a source he has. And headline story on CBS news tonight. No big deal right?

How many times do you have to hear the same thing

To believe it? It's not the same as the other bills nor the federal one.

Look at who authored this law and who was standing by Pence

Eric Miller of Advance America, who has piled time and money into fighting gay marriage. This is the bone they were thrown. Check their website.

Angie's list is being sued

By a customer in Philly. The truth about Angie's list is about to come out with this lawsuit. The more a business pays the better their ratings will appear. If a company is in the Angie's list gold box they have forked up some serious cash. No way should the city of Indianapolis or State of Indiana give this company $18 million to build anything. They claim to have never turned a profit but what business remains in business for 19 years if no profit is made?

Hmm, sounds a bit fishy to me. No profit for 20 years, asking taxpayers for $20 million, just got it with another class action lawsuit, and competition is catching up. I also think Pence was at the expansion announcement too. Might just be coincidental, but maybe not.

Glad to see this happen.

Over the past 25 years Indy has grown it's image in a great way.

I'd hate to see this bill reverse all of that and be damaging to the economy.

This was all needless.

LGBT has never been a protected class in indiana. Businesses have always been within the law to deny services to anyone they want, except people in a protected class.

A business could deny me service for any reason they want...I couldn't do a thing about it. They could refuse to service a person for being gay...last week, month, year, etc. Same as a lot of states.

Until sexual orientation is protected, nothing will change. It's pretty clear most people didn't know this.

This post was edited on 3/28 9:34 PM by RawbM

Yep.

Most people - supporters and opponents alike - didn't really understand this law. But the politicians should have understood what the public backlash would be, since the business community has been warning them for months. None of this should have been a surprise. I don't buy Pence's claim that they were caught offguard. Maybe they really didn't believe it would be this big of a response, but they knew there would be a response.

Exactly. Tone deaf...it will be his legacy and end his career. Nm

Nm

It will be fun watching him

Spin the changes. And he still has to keep Eric Miller and that crew happy.

If Pence was caught off guard, I'm seven feet tall.

Just to be clear, I'm only 5'6". Pence couldn't have screwed this up any worse no matter what.
I hate it when politicians try to cover their asses with crap excuses like this. It reminds me of our president claimng he learns of some major events on the evening news.
Pence is just a majir league dumbass

Likely cost himself a shot at President as well

Since he is supposedly going to run.

Actually the Indiana Bill doesn't differ BUT

The other states have specific statues/laws that lost LBGT as a protected class. Indiana does not have similar laws and has not designated sexual orientation as a protected class, nor does Pence intend to pursue. That is a huge problem.

some other states do...but most do not

Illinois does (didn't obviously when the bill was passed).

Point is, if this bill is completely repealed, any business can still do what the bill's critics are claiming the bill allows. That's the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT