ADVERTISEMENT

BayernFan - Add Subaru of Indiana to that list againt your 'overhyped'

what do you call it?

Corruption? Works for me. 2 things for you to look for. 1. A liberal says he is doing it "for the kids" like when our mayor said he was putting in red light and speeding for the kids and then sold it to our ex liberal mayors family who in turn screwed us all over with fake tickets. Or when healthcare was passed the poor kid standing there as a pawn gotta do it for the kids. 2. They care. This one the biggest of all time. Everything will be done for political gain and that's it. poor people a prime example they pay them welfare for their votes and have to give pensions to others. You guys are clearly amateurs low information types. Good liberals all know this won't admit it to you unless your someone like me

It must be more than a small vocal minority

Multiple coworkers have mentioned it to me, unprompted, here in NYC just because they know I'm from Indiana. Hell, the doorman in my apartment building gave me crap about it when I came home last night, and he has never talked politics with me before. Plus, I rarely talk politics myself.

I've never even thought about writing to a politician before, but I did this time - because a HS friend (and IU alum) is the state congressman in my (native) district and voted for it. He fed me the same line of crap (lie) that this exact legislation exists already at the federal level and in X other states.

You've got mayors, governors, business leaders, actors, non-political (intern)national organizations across the nation (and world) speaking out against it. This is not your typical vocal minority for a meaningless piece of Indiana legislature.

161,000 people belong to the American Chemical Society & their Indy meeting

,may be moved. Too bad. The meeting in 2012 was a success.

Moving the meeting will be voted on by ACS executive committee delegates (including me) at the Boston meeting this August.

So there is time to repeal this crappy law.

Here's My Question

Why does Indiana hate gay florists, gay photographers and gay bakers?

These people are being put out of work and nobody cares.

Why should religion afford people additional rights?

Why does it protect closely held "religious" beliefs instead of just closely held beliefs regardless of one's religiosity? Why can't I have legislation that allows me take a moral stand for anything I believe in, religious or not?

Would you be open to a non-religious person choosing not to serve religious people and not have to deal with nonsense every time a religious customer feels shunned?

Best post I have seen on this subject and exactly...

my point you just say it 100X better.

Read this......

the Indiana law explicitly allows any for-profit business to assert a right to "the free exercise of religion." The federal RFRA doesn't contain such language, and neither does any of the state RFRAs except South Carolina's; in fact, Louisiana and Pennsylvania, explicitly exclude for-profit businesses from the protection of their RFRAs.

The new Indiana statute also contains this odd language: "A person whose exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or is likely to be substantially burdened, by a violation of this chapter may assert the violation or impending violation as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding, regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding." (My italics.) Neither the federal RFRA, nor 18 of the 19 state statutes cited by the Post, says anything like this; only the Texas RFRA, passed in 1999, contains similar language.
And......

"Supreme Court has consistently held that the government may not accommodate religious belief
by lifting burdens on religious actors if that means shifting meaningful burdens to third parties."

Constitutional experts weigh in...

I am fine with that....

why would I want to give them my money anyways. If they are non-religious and I am religious why would I give them my money. I don't identify with them and they don't identify with me. "Most" people choose to do business with people who have similar mindsets or ideas. Some people look for the least expensive price but research has shown that if people can identify with you they will choose to do business with you even if the cost is more.

We are changing our marketing plan based off that information. How can people identify with our agency more. Well we have 3 new marketing ideas to do that. I will let you know how it turns out but from research and data I am guessing it will be a success. If not I will rerally the troops and we will do something else.

Connecticut governor signs EO barring UCONN from playing in Indiana.

Just keeps getting better...

He won't read it, since so many big words with no pictures scares him.

Such is education in whatever corner of Klandiana that he grew up in.

And I should have rights not to be sued for.....

....for practicing my beliefs according to the book of Harry Potter.

Unfounded beliefs/myths should never have a say in public policy.

Keep your fairy tales in the church or in your own home.

Hmmm... a Big 10 school doing this would make things INTERESTING

Would anyone have the stones to do it?

I think that's a bit different

As a consumer, I can choose who to purchases goods & services from, which employers to work for, etc.

But one shouldn't be denied equal access to goods & services just because of their personal religious beliefs. And that doesn't sound like what you're doing. Sounds like you're just doing targeted marketing.

One Of Them Amendments to One o' Them Constitutions

Them Constitutional riots to mean something in the country.

Now, everybody feels "entitled" to better basketball but doesn't give a crap about fundamental rights enumerated in the Constitution.

Look at this pitcher I took in Martinsville of an old hatin' biddy teaching her grandkid to hate too:

norman-rockwell-prayer.jpg

it has been the lead story on CNN.com on many occasions

usually it's the Euro pane crash

but now & then it's the Indiana bigots

But does a business? If you hate gays and own a restaurant,

can you order all of your employees to enforce your personal religious-based views, just because you own the joint, and kick gays out? Reminding you, that some of your own employees are likely gay, and you can't fire them

religion is a personal freedom, not a corporate one

Its funny when bigots call other people bigots.

Actually its rather sad. The saddest part is that they don't see their bigotry.

I do business with people with different beliefs than me every day.

Including my wife, who is very religious while I'm an agnostic atheist.

I do business with Christians, Jews, and atheists every day.

I often do business with Buddhists and Hindus. I don't think I come across Muslims too often, but I'll do business with them too.

As long as people are decent, I don't give a crap what the basis of their moral code is. All kinds of people are wonderful and all all kinds of people are horrible.

Why anyone feels that they should be able to discriminate in their business practices bases on differing beliefs is beyond me.

Wonder what the NCAA has told schools behind closed doors...

The statement released following the signing of the bill was bland and worthless. But the Women's FF is in Indy next year. That's the first time this would impact a UConn team, and that's very likely to be the case.

So I wonder who is taking the lead here. Has the NCAA indicated privately they will move next year's final four? Or is the Governor of Connecticut forcing the issue?

Are you kidding? It's a huge news story in the DC area. Local news on

TV and radio are reporting on it constantly. Coworkers are coming up to me (since they know I'm from Indiana) and asking me questions and saying that the state of Indiana sucks (mostly ribbing me, of course). I didn't mention it to them...so they've obviously been informed via news.

And it's all over the national news, too.

I hope you were just trolling when you said that....

But not in your own business?

so really what you are saying is that the Gov. should just own all the business and tell us how to run them because that is exactly what they are doing.

Why do people not get IF YOU do not like the way I conduct my business YOU can choose to go somewhere else and have it done. It is a pretty freaking easy concept.

I choose to use Tacklewarehouse when buying lures and not Bass Pro. I choose that because the service I receive at tacklewarehouse is better than that I receive at Bass Pro. I also think that Tackle Warehouse has a better selection for a bass fisherman than bass pro, but if I want pan fishing gear I would either use Bass Pro or the local tackle shop (most likely place I would go).

I also CHOOSE to do business with the small town shop in my town that sells mens clothing instead of Kohls, Macy's, JcPenny (does it still exist), etc. By making that choice I sometimes pay more for shirts than I would at those other stores. I choose to do business with that store because I am friends with the owners. They call me the same day if I have to have things tailored.

I choose to go to a crossfit gym and workout with my buddies there over using the Anytime Fitness or YMCA. I chose that gym because I am good friends with the owner. I also pay A LOT more to go to that gym than I would at the other two mentioned. I also get better results using that gym than I did at the others which makes my decision even easier. The other Crossfit Gym I did not connect with the owner. We didn't see eye to eye on how they trained so that is another reason I chose the gym I did. Oh and other people didn't connect with that owner and now he is out of business imagine that.

Business is no different than you or I, hell business is a person there are owners and employees all of which have to have a common connection. I try to hire people who have similar beliefs and views as I do. I also know not all my employees think the exact same as me (if they did that would be scary). I understand that as a business owner and I feed off of that. I currently have 10 resumes on my desk from people. We are not hiring at the time but I still get them. I have people stop in and talk to me. Heck last week I had another agent from a competitor stop in and talk to me about a job. Most likely she wouldn't fit into our office so I won't be hiring her. The business we run has a similar personality to myself. That personality is changing some because my father is passing more and more on to me. We both have different personalities and he ran the show different than I. Example is on Fridays I tell the employees to wear what is comfortable. My father has always said you must be in dress clothes no jeans no shorts, no tennis shoes, etc. I took the stance of I don't care if you wear jeans just no t-shirts or tennis shoes.

Sorry for the rambling... I just find in crazy that someone would want to force a person to do business with someone. Maybe I am in the minority but I would bet if you looked at who you choose to do business with you will see a similar mindset.

I am target marketing to connect with people...

who have similar beliefs as my business. I am putting my business out there and saying "This is what we believe in, if you believe the same thing we should do business together." Sounds simple but really it isn't that easy. I guess if it was everyone would be doing it.

I can see why it is a big story for you.

People know I am from Indiana too and I have heard nothing.

Some of my best friends acquaintances are ghey.

#f--ktogether

explain, please

businesses are not people.

I can't have my store cast a vote in an election while casting my personal vote as well.

So I should have the right to deny service to interracial couples if I...

cite a religious opposition to people from different races being in a relationship? I am legitimately asking to flesh out your opinion on the matter.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:27 AM by HA2740

Then you can appreciate the 1st Amendment

Do what you want to do and let me do what I want to do as long as we aren't infringing on the other.

You can get married somewhere else. I don't care that you get married.

And I am not the only wedding cake maker in the city. I am not the only wedding photographer in the city.

Stop causing drama and there would be no need of the law.

That's the dumbest post I've seen . . .

in the last 5 minutes.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

All Pence had to do in order to secure the right of a business owner not to provide service to the LGBT community is not one damned thing . . . state law allowed that sort of discrimination already, except in those Indiana municipalities that have adopted sexual orientation anti-discrimination ordinances . . .

. . . does a less-government governor really need to be telling those municipalities that they can't adopt protections against discrimination of gays and lesbians? The correct answer is "No", BTW . . . .

I see most people saying "live and let live".....

Someone needs to explain to me how gay marriage harms anyone.

If you don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding, fine....but don't bake those penis cupcakes for the bachelorette party either.

My biggest problem with this thing is that the people in Indiana don't like it. These elected officials are supposed to represent us. And they aren't doing so.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:42 AM by Bligedy

So you don't care about religious beliefs as a reason...

to do business with someone. Great but it someone does then they have that right. Just like me I don't give a rats arse if you are christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, or whatever religion/non-religion you are. That is not how I choose to do business.

We all have reason on why we choose to do business with so and so. You may not realize it but somewhere in your mind you say oh I like doing business with Bill he is a good guy. Well why is Bill a good guy? What makes you think Bill is a good guy? Is it because he smiles? Do you guys play golf together? Something internal makes you have that connection with Bill. Most likely you don't realize it but it is there. Same thing with the creepy feeling you get around people. When you talk to someone and you think damn that dude is messed up or I get that creeper feel from that guy or the something isn't right about that person. We have all had those feelings.

Here is something you are overlooking....

Why do people not get IF YOU do not like the way I conduct my business YOU can choose to go somewhere else and have it done. It is a pretty freaking easy concept.

It has been within the past 100 years that an entire region of states had laws to deny services to minorities. And blacks would have loved to go to another store where they could receive goods and services if there was one that would serve them within a hundred fvcking miles. That is why you can't sidestep a law that permits discrimination with a "well they can go someplace else."

I THINK in reality, any business in central Indiana that denies services to an entire class would suffer financially as a result. I am less sure about that in rural areas, and the rub of that is that in rural areas of Indiana, an equivalent business that won't discriminate may not be just 5 minutes away. But the set up should not be discrimination is legally permissible and we just rely on the good nature of people and market forces to cure it.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:46 AM by HA2740

The 1st amendment doesn't give you the right to discriminate.

Your belief in God doesn't give you the right to discriminate.

In fact, I'd strongly argue nothing Christ says gives you the right to discriminate.

This is an anti-Christian law that further damages the image of American Christians.

It certainly has my 7 yr old questioning her decision to become one, considering she has 2 homosexual uncles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT