ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore bridge collapse

I think the ship was probably a diesel electric affair. And that the ship probably had at least 2. What kind of single point failure would cause the whole thing to shut down? I can’t conceive of that. I took the engineers tour of the mechanical parts of a tourist ship and I recall it had three diesels and three generators, but only two were needed, the third was for emergency use. My son works in a place where it is vital that certain diesel compressors never fail. Each operating engine has a back up that always idles and kicks in an emergency.
I think it was too. I've lost propulsion out at sea and had to recover from it. In the channel you try to be as redundant as possible so if you lose one engine or a generator you have another to take up the load. I don't know anything about their control systems so can't guess the actual cause of this.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
i won't do roller coasters etc but i despise ski lifts. i actually hate skiing. i hate winter and winter sports. my best friend lived in san fran for years (pleasanton) and my friends and i flew out and drove up to tahoe. we were skiing heavenly (i think it was) and i would only take the gondola. well it was the end of the day and the line was super long and there was no line for the lift and my buddies said they weren't waiting so f off or get on the lift. i went over and jumped on. it went straight 20 feet. then up 20 feet then out and next thing i knew i was about 5,000 feet off the ground. that's the last time i went skiing
My greatest (and probably unjustified) fear of chair lifts is the breaking system when the thing stops. I keep thinking of a backwards run away. Some of them will back up a foot or two when they stop. thats a real thrill.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Only time it really bothered me was on a whale-watching boat in Hawaii.

I missed most of the whales because i was hanging overboard at the end of the boat. Seasickness is no joke.

I'm surprised I'm not worse - most in my family have motion sickness and can't ride in the back seat of a car.
Yep my sisters got mad at me because I always got to ride in front seat. It was either that or stop for me to puke and Dad was not wasting time on that!

Reactions: DANC
When I visited it, I was amazed by how small it is! Imagine over 400 officers and crew on a ship that size. That's tight.
That was my impression of the U-505 -- where did 48 guys fit on that thing?

And how did a cook make meals for 48 guys on a heating pad measuring about 2'X2' ?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I think the ship was probably a diesel electric affair. And that the ship probably had at least 2. What kind of single point failure would cause the whole thing to shut down? I can’t conceive of that. I took the engineers tour of the mechanical parts of a tourist ship and I recall it had three diesels and three generators, but only two were needed, the third was for emergency use. My son works in a place where it is vital that certain diesel compressors never fail. Each operating engine has a back up that always idles and kicks in an emergency.
Thanks. What is the significance of all that black smoke that spewed just before it hit?

Thanks. What is the significance of all that black smoke that spewed just before it hit?
Good question. Too much fuel/not enough air is the usual cause. But that shouldn’t cause a total electrical failure. I’m thinking the electrical restart is probably the emergency system kicking in. There will be a lot of experts going through those shipboard systems.

giphy.gif

cosby-confused.gif

The Baltimore bridge disaster: what happened and who will pay?

Symptomatic of the general deterioration of the US infrastructure?
The US accounted for most of the 35 bridge collapses caused by a ship or barge between 1960 and 2015, according to a 2018 report from the World Association for Waterborne Transport Infrastructure.

It will be an opportunity to upgrade the port by building a modern bridge that can accommodate the super carriers.

Otherwise, it will just follow the port's slow decline and irrelevance, as mentioned in The Wire. (Or maybe, like in The Wire, there was some hidden hand involved in this accident? ;))

Last edited:

It will be an opportunity to upgrade the port by building a modern bridge that can accommodate the super carriers.

Otherwise, it will just follow the port's slow decline and irrelevance, as mentioned in The Wire. (Or maybe, like in The Wire, there was some hidden hand involved in this accident? ;))
Nah...it needed to be torn down (or at least renamed) because the bridge itself was racist...

Saw a report that this is not the first crash this ship has been involved in. Hoping that this is not a case where damage from a first accident wasn't fixed properly and ending up causing the second.

Saw a report that this is not the first crash this ship has been involved in. Hoping that this is not a case where damage from a first accident wasn't fixed properly and ending up causing the second.

Don't worry..... The insurance lawyers will figure it out... Eventually. Gonna be a bonanza in the insurance litigation game for the next decade.

The issue I see is that the ships still have to navigate under the Bay bridge... Which is further south by Annapolis. So there will still be limitations based upon that bridge. Baltimore also has a cruise port but it seems that only the smallest/oldest cruise ships can currently access it due to these two bridges.

Reactions: sglowrider
i'm deathly afraid of heights but bridges don't bother me as long as you're over water. anything over water doesn't bother me. even flying over the ocean and i hate flying - as long as you can get out. you can fall from any height, 40,000 feet, and survive over water provided you time the pointing of your toes perfectly. you'll just go really deep.
Of course even with the proper toe-point you'd still be wearing your ankles like earrings and your balls would join your Adam's apple.

The issue I see is that the ships still have to navigate under the Bay bridge... Which is further south by Annapolis. So there will still be limitations based upon that bridge. Baltimore also has a cruise port but it seems that only the smallest/oldest cruise ships can currently access it due to these two bridges.
A cruise port? What a letdown that must be for the folks on their vacation.

Captain Stubing never docked the Pacific Princess in a 3rd world port as disappointing as Baltimore must be.

That could help our recruiting against Under Armour schools. Queen decommitting from Maryland and coming to Bloomington. You heard it here first!!!
I think it’s just the shit that goes to dick’s etc. team uniforms are outsourced. My buddy used to manufacture the football uniforms that were sec under armour schools. He’d make the uniforms then just slap the under armour patch and label on at the end

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
election year. ACTIVATE DEMS
Biden already took credit for personally taking charge of salvage, cleanup and rebuild. He just “hopes” congress won’t stand in his way.

Rumor has it that Buttegeig is drafting the necessary regulations to make sure those who design and build the new bridge look like the people of Baltimore.

I think it’s just the shit that goes to dick’s etc. team uniforms are outsourced. My buddy used to manufacture the football uniforms that were sec under armour schools. He’d make the uniforms then just slap the under armour patch and label on at the end
What a buzzkill.

**** it, I'm still spreading that Queen rumor.

That could help our recruiting against Under Armour schools. Queen decommitting from Maryland and coming to Bloomington. You heard it here first!!!
fools gold getting excited by new five stars. the current five stars can't beat nebraska and northwestern. 3 stars with male pattern baldness at that school up north are better for building teams. people are done with iu basketball at the moment. recruiting doesn't matter. i was at the gym last week and had an iu t shirt on. people usually just leave me alone because THEY CAN TELL I'M THERE TO GET SWOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT. F*UCKINGGG. AROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. but on this occasion two separate people brought up basketball and the need to fire the coach

fools gold getting excited by new five stars. the current five stars can't beat nebraska and northwestern. 3 stars with male pattern baldness at that school up north are better for building teams. people are done with iu basketball at the moment. recruiting doesn't matter. i was at the gym last week and had an iu t shirt on. people usually just leave me alone because THEY CAN TELL I'M THERE TO GET SWOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT. F*UCKINGGG. AROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. but on this occasion two separate people brought up basketball and the need to fire the coach
All jokes aside, I haven't been this apathetic since the Davis years when even he was calling in sick for games.

The baseball team has nosedived after a 5-1 start and a top 25 ranking.

All I have right now is Women's basketball and hope for the football team and Mens soccer.

All jokes aside, I haven't been this apathetic since the Davis years when even he was calling in sick for games.

All I have right now is Women's basketball and hope for the football team and Mens soccer.
oh yeah i watched maybe 15 minutes of iu basketball this year. i couldn't name more than a few players. but oh man i was totally engaged during the davis years. now that was entertainment. hiding in the basement. all kinds of fun drama. and peegs was sooooooooo good then. i really wanted davis to succeed. when i finally win mega millions i'll probably bring davis back along with crean. crean will be head coach and davis lead assistant and recruiter. and if the rumors about fife being super maga political and outspoken i'll bring him in too.

baseball is more fool's gold. the big ten is the minor leagues. can't compete with the dirty south.

move on from college soccer. it's only going to get worse and worse as the better kids choose mls2 and just stay in the academies.

Reactions: larsIU and DANC

Denver is a #1 seed in NCAA hockey. Their offense is terrific and their defense makes the other teams offense look pretty good. Watch them if you can, it won’t be boring hockey.

Denver is a #1 seed in NCAA hockey. Their offense is terrific and their defense makes the other teams offense look pretty good. Watch them if you can, it won’t be boring hockey.
They had a spell when they were really good at soccer too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT