ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore bridge collapse

Same. I’m not afraid of bridges per se. Had a friend who was terrified. But gotta say I always am relieved to get to the other side. And I have to drive over the 82 street green one daily!
I had a girlfriend in HS who was deathly afraid of bridges. We were riding in the back seat of my friends car going out on a double date and had to go over the long bridge section of I-480 near Cleveland / Garfield Heights. I just remember hearing a gasp of breath and then her fingernails digging into my leg.

Sadly, not the only ex girlfriend that left both emotional AND physical scars.

shit-shet.gif
72a87c598c38545b5c1005cc4d87be8c.gif

Take a boat to Key West. I know there's one that leaves from Naples.
Yep but its nickname is the Vomit Comet so not sure that would be better. I looked into it last year.

i'm deathly afraid of heights but bridges don't bother me as long as you're over water. anything over water doesn't bother me. even flying over the ocean and i hate flying - as long as you can get out. you can fall from any height, 40,000 feet, and survive over water provided you time the pointing of your toes perfectly. you'll just go really deep.
Now I’ve got visions of you doing a swan dive and pointing your toes in a Speedo. Make it stop

You can always fly. 🤣 🤣

Wasn't the guy on the Louisville bridge driving on a suspended license? I don't know much about the story but did the accident have anything to do with the bridge or was it just a stupid person behind the wheel?
There was a chick driving the actual semi that went over the edge...but yeah, a dude was driving on a suspended license and hit a stalled car, then careened into the chick driving the truck, sending her over the edge.

There was a chick driving the actual semi that went over the edge...but yeah, a dude was driving on a suspended license and hit a stalled car, then careened into the chick driving the truck, sending her over the edge.

I‘ve seen females driving big trucks. I’ve never seen a chick driving one.

• Haha
Reactions: NPT
You can always fly. 🤣 🤣

Wasn't the guy on the Louisville bridge driving on a suspended license? I don't know much about the story but did the accident have anything to do with the bridge or was it just a stupid person behind the wheel?
It is a heights thing for me. I hate flying.

Reactions: DANC
i'm deathly afraid of heights but bridges don't bother me as long as you're over water. anything over water doesn't bother me. even flying over the ocean and i hate flying - as long as you can get out. you can fall from any height, 40,000 feet, and survive over water provided you time the pointing of your toes perfectly. you'll just go really deep.

Whenever we go to a water park, I'm always the one that has to go on the slides with the youngest because the wife and #2 (generally) won't ride them.

Them shits are up there man, to the point people start looking real small and I start to wonder if those steps are structurally sound for my 240 pounds to hold.

I hold onto the rail real tight just in case....

• Love
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
It is a heights thing for me. I hate flying.
My height thing is weird and I never know when it will pop up. I just rode a roller coaster on top of a cruise ship, jumped out of a plane a couple years ago. But scared of bridges and absolutely froze on top of ruins at Chichen Itza. Had to sit on my butt step after step to get down. I couldn’t get over the vision of me tripping. Also driving in the mountains, Cali coast etc. Not a fan.

How about chairlifts?

82773065_10156792311080812_6884749369086574592_o.jpg

Um, at anything above, say, 25,000 feet you would pass out from a lack of oxygen long before you remember to point your toes.
In other words, you dead.

Ports in Virginia (mouth of the Bay) will benefit and railroads. But top priority will be reopening the channel. I'd guess that happens in a matter of weeks, though, if even that long. It's pretty narrow.

My height thing is weird and I never know when it will pop up. I just rode a roller coaster on top of a cruise ship, jumped out of a plane a couple years ago. But scared of bridges and absolutely froze on top of ruins at Chichen Itza. Had to sit on my butt step after step to get down. I couldn’t get over the vision of me tripping. Also driving in the mountains, Cali coast etc. Not a fan.
I think it has to do with being somewhat immobile on a "permanent"/secured/grounded object that could fail, versus moving at speed?

Airplanes, rollercoasters, etc at speed...no issues.

Grounded buildings or heights...issues.

Never done a hot air balloon...that might be the true test of speed vs tethered/secured in my hypothesis. Is the fear gone because not tethered, or does it remain because of the slow speed?

Might be worth a google search to see why. I'll check.

How about chairlifts?

82773065_10156792311080812_6884749369086574592_o.jpg
i won't do roller coasters etc but i despise ski lifts. i actually hate skiing. i hate winter and winter sports. my best friend lived in san fran for years (pleasanton) and my friends and i flew out and drove up to tahoe. we were skiing heavenly (i think it was) and i would only take the gondola. well it was the end of the day and the line was super long and there was no line for the lift and my buddies said they weren't waiting so f off or get on the lift. i went over and jumped on. it went straight 20 feet. then up 20 feet then out and next thing i knew i was about 5,000 feet off the ground. that's the last time i went skiing

• Wow
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
I think it has to do with being somewhat immobile on a "permanent"/secured/grounded object that could fail, versus moving at speed?

Airplanes, rollercoasters, etc at speed...no issues.

Grounded buildings or heights...issues.

Never done a hot air balloon...that might be the true test of speed vs tethered/secured in my hypothesis. Is the fear gone because not tethered, or does it remain because of the slow speed?

Might be worth a google search to see why. I'll check.
I think mine might be I trust other people but not myself. Like I’m going to trip, I’m going to drive over the edge of the mountain. I wouldn’t have gone skydiving if I’d been responsible for pulling the cord. I did hot air balloon in Bloomington last summer, no problems, zip lining, parasailing.

Um, at anything above, say, 25,000 feet you would pass out from a lack of oxygen long before you remember to point your toes.

i'd be out for sure. but then i'd regain consciousness hopefully in time to point my toes. like this pilot did
maxresdefault.jpg

Chairlifts vs gondola must be part of the "control" aspect of the fear. A gondola could fail, sure, but you couldn't slip or fall out of a gondola? Like in a plane or roller coaster?

Like I said, edge of a hot air balloon basket...I might have to sit to feel comfortable in those...where I couldn't actually trip, or be thrown over the rail? Maybe?

Wow. Lots of height issues in this group. I used to have to climb these things - using basically metal ladders surrounded by a cage, with platforms roughly every 30 feet or so. You could feel them moving in the wind, along with the petroleum products moving through the columns. On cold days you could feel the heat inside the columns. Even had to climb vent stacks on some tankers (big ass ocean ships for transporting liquid products such as benzene).

989distillation_289979312.jpg

Air Disasters on the Smithsonian channel is amazing.

Spoiler alert - 90% of the time, it's the pilot's fault.

Wrong. That moustache is 100x more desperate.
It’s the late night go to for my daughter and I. Air disasters or I almost got away it

Reactions: larsIU
He’s probably right about that tho. This idea of reconnecting neighborhoods is interesting. Probably the cart before the horse tho
He's talking about Robert Moses. He famously built low bridges over his parkways to prevent buses from using them. His assistant claimed this was in part motivated by a desire to keep blacks and Puerto Ricans out of his best beaches on Long Island.

There's debate over how accurate it is, but it's a real story that goes back decades. It wasn't invented by Pete or any woke activist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT