ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore bridge collapse

4ebcf807db3226864701d3cb90c4ca41bec3c52914b4219739e6204d0b047ffc_1.webp

Biden already took credit for personally taking charge of salvage, cleanup and rebuild. He just “hopes” congress won’t stand in his way.

Rumor has it that Buttegeig is drafting the necessary regulations to make sure those who design and build the new bridge look like the people of Baltimore.
I'm wondering if the bridge will look like a giant rainbow, or if they change direction and make it a tunnel instead. Don't forget also that it can't cause racist divides separating a community.
This is gonna be interesting to watch. "Virtue bridge" that will get past regulations in about..... 24 years.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
oh yeah i watched maybe 15 minutes of iu basketball this year. i couldn't name more than a few players. but oh man i was totally engaged during the davis years. now that was entertainment. hiding in the basement. all kinds of fun drama. and peegs was sooooooooo good then. i really wanted davis to succeed. when i finally win mega millions i'll probably bring davis back along with crean. crean will be head coach and davis lead assistant and recruiter. and if the rumors about fife being super maga political and outspoken i'll bring him in too.

baseball is more fool's gold. the big ten is the minor leagues. can't compete with the dirty south.

move on from college soccer. it's only going to get worse and worse as the better kids choose mls2 and just stay in the academies.
If I win the mega millions, I'll never be heard from again. I'll die in a pile of hookers & blow.

A cruise port? What a letdown that must be for the folks on their vacation.

Captain Stubing never docked the Pacific Princess in a 3rd world port as disappointing as Baltimore must be.

Yeah I read it's just a departure port for Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises to the Caribbean... ain't nobody going there as a port stop. Guess there are a couple cruises out right now somewhere in Caribbean and they aren't sure how they are getting people home now. I guess maybe dropping them in Norfolk and bussing them back to Baltimore

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The issue I see is that the ships still have to navigate under the Bay bridge... Which is further south by Annapolis. So there will still be limitations based upon that bridge. Baltimore also has a cruise port but it seems that only the smallest/oldest cruise ships can currently access it due to these two bridges.

Well might as well replace this bridge with something more accommodating to bigger ships anyway even if it doesn't help matters much right away.

The other bridge may need addressed at another time.

Reactions: UncleMark
election year. ACTIVATE DEMS. Plus it’s close and he probably wants to see it. Like a field trip

Or maybe he is making sure to go so people don't overreact like they did before.

But he's wrong if he does, wrong if he doesn't.

Good question. Too much fuel/not enough air is the usual cause. But that shouldn’t cause a total electrical failure. I’m thinking the electrical restart is probably the emergency system kicking in. There will be a lot of experts going through those shipboard systems.
After I posted, a guy on TV said he thought the last-minute smoke was the result of the captain flooring the engine in full reverse (or whatever it's called) to try to slow down the ship when he saw it was going to hit. Does that make sense?

It sounds too simple. It reminds me too much of smoke coming out the tailpipe of a diesel city bus accelerating after a traffic signal.

Yeah I read it's just a departure port for Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises to the Caribbean... ain't nobody going there as a port stop. Guess there are a couple cruises out right now somewhere in Caribbean and they aren't sure how they are getting people home now. I guess maybe dropping them in Norfolk and bussing them back to Baltimore
Even the flight to BWI to catch the boat sounds like a depressing way to start your vacation.

Don't worry..... The insurance lawyers will figure it out... Eventually. Gonna be a bonanza in the insurance litigation game for the next decade.
Can Maersk stand the hit? Damage will be in the billions and won't even be determinable for a year or so.

I predict special legislation to limit the litigation, like the asbestos cases.

The issue I see is that the ships still have to navigate under the Bay bridge... Which is further south by Annapolis. So there will still be limitations based upon that bridge. Baltimore also has a cruise port but it seems that only the smallest/oldest cruise ships can currently access it due to these two bridges.
Wouldn't a better solution be to make the largest ships go to a port that does not require going under a bridge?

people will have to wait on their under armour shit. their main distribution/warehousing is right next to that bridge
Curious about this ship's route. Do we assume it went from Asia to Baltimore via the tip of Africa?

I've heard it costs like $5-10 million to take a ship through the Panana Canal (assuming it can even fit).

Curious about this ship's route. Do we assume it went from Asia to Baltimore via the tip of Africa?

I've heard it costs like $5-10 million to take a ship through the Panana Canal (assuming it can even fit).
No I forget where the route but that wasn’t it. But yes that shipping is wild. They’ll divert now a bunch to west coast ports which seems illogical

Shipping by cargo ship products is night and day cheaper than air still

fools gold getting excited by new five stars. the current five stars can't beat nebraska and northwestern. 3 stars with male pattern baldness at that school up north are better for building teams. people are done with iu basketball at the moment. recruiting doesn't matter. i was at the gym last week and had an iu t shirt on. people usually just leave me alone because THEY CAN TELL I'M THERE TO GET SWOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT. F*UCKINGGG. AROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. but on this occasion two separate people brought up basketball and the need to fire the coach
That's because none of the three five-stars are guards.

Last year, we had one (only one) five-star guard and beat "that school up north" twice, Schifino was a big part of those victories.

oh yeah i watched maybe 15 minutes of iu basketball this year. i couldn't name more than a few players. but oh man i was totally engaged during the davis years. now that was entertainment. hiding in the basement. all kinds of fun drama. and peegs was sooooooooo good then. i really wanted davis to succeed. when i finally win mega millions i'll probably bring davis back along with crean. crean will be head coach and davis lead assistant and recruiter. and if the rumors about fife being super maga political and outspoken i'll bring him in too.

baseball is more fool's gold. the big ten is the minor leagues. can't compete with the dirty south.

move on from college soccer. it's only going to get worse and worse as the better kids choose mls2 and just stay in the academies.
There were the "Davis Years" when we were the runnerup national champions.

Then there were the "Davis/Bracey Years" featuring a "70-play NBA-style playbook."

You can guess which I liked better.

It was going through the canal. Panama canal was enlarged in recent years and this ship was sized to fit. But the canal is currently having drought problems so it's reduced the quantity of ships that can go through. Not enough water in the retention lakes to operate the locks.

My height thing is weird and I never know when it will pop up. I just rode a roller coaster on top of a cruise ship, jumped out of a plane a couple years ago. But scared of bridges and absolutely froze on top of ruins at Chichen Itza. Had to sit on my butt step after step to get down. I couldn’t get over the vision of me tripping. Also driving in the mountains, Cali coast etc. Not a fan.
When I was teaching high school completion classes on Army posts in Germany, we had a weekemd seminar near Garmisch in the Alps. A couple of my fellow teachers and I were going to take a cable car to the top of the mountain and visit the restaurant. My two friends were reluctant to make the trip but I talked them into it...

My plan was to wait until the 3 of us (the rest of the car was empty) were on our way, and then scare them by telling them about when my cousin was an exchange student in Grenoble France and had a horrifying experience. She was on a ski lift and some sort of malfunction occurred and people on another chair fell to their deaths. I thought it would be fun to scare them, at least that was my plan...

But as soon as the car started to move I was suddenly unable to move. All three of us were trying to hold on for dear life, and any thought I had of recounting that story to try and scare them was DOA. What made it worse was that the car made two or three stops and old Germans who clearly lived on the mountain and rode the tram each day got on. I knew enough German to comprehend that they thought it was hilarious that the 2 Black girls and the white guy were scared of going up the mountain.

When we finally got to the top any plans to eat or enjoy the view had dissipated. But instead of having the car to ourselves on the way down,it was SRO. There were straps hanging from the roof to hold on to, and it was like being in a crowded subway car. But instead of being on level tracks (and feeling relatively safe) we were in an overcrowded cable car which was hurtling towards Earth at what seemed to me a rapid rate of descent.

We survived.And I had one more stab at overcoming vertigo when I got back to the US and visited San Francisco. I was staying at a hostel in the shadow of the GG bridge, and from there it looked scenic and not at all threatening.So along with a few other travellers, I decided to go up to the bridge and join all the people walking across. I was finally going to put my Garmisch demons to rest. At least that was the plan...

When we got to the bridge, the first thing I noticed was that it was very windy and the bridge swayed. Still nervous, but undaunted I made my way to the walkway and started to walk across. I was OK till we were completely over water, and suddenly I found myself frozen unable to move. I literally wasn't able to move forward, and the swaying didn't help.

People continued to nonchalantly pass by me, and I was afraid I might have to stay there forever.Finally I got down on my hands and knees and literally crawled back to the SF side. It was beyond embarrassing, but with the other walkers and people in cars jeering, all I cared about was getting my ass off that damn bridge and back on to solid ground.
I can’t do Assembly Hall balcony any more I’m sure. I remember one time I had that seat in the very top row in the aisle. ( to get every single seat possible) I didn’t stand the entire game because I knew I’d go tumbling down and go splat in the middle of Assembly Hall.
I think my last trip to the balcony occurred during the 74-75 season vs pUKe, and the infamous RMK patting Joe B Hall on the head incident. Our seats for the game were in the balcony (despite camping out for tickets for 3 weeks) because the marquee game was ND with John Shumate, so that was the ticket package our best seats were for.

Your group had to line up at one of the 3 ticket windows based on which package you wanted to get first, and then from there after purchasing those seats you moved on to the lines for your second and third choices for ticket passage. The idea was you'd get court level for your first choice,then main level for your second and then balcony for your third, but it didn't always work out as planned.

Anyway one of my poly sci seminars had met at Nicks that afternoon, as it was the last class heading into either Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Of course meeting at Nicks in an informal setting we had drank beer for a couple of hours. But then the professor decided to buy shots, and after a couple of rounds I was wasted. I'm not sure how I walked home,or over to AH, but I'll never forget the terror I experienced watching that game in the balcony and being so out of it that I was afraid I'd go careening down the seats and over the rails.

I probably did watch a few more games up there for that season, but I never repeated the mistake of being drunk. The next year they did away with the lottery system and we never got stuck up their again. Haven't been to a game for a couple of years, but these days I can barely make it up to the main level without being exhausted, so a trip to the balcony would be impossible.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Can Maersk stand the hit? Damage will be in the billions and won't even be determinable for a year or so.

I predict special legislation to limit the litigation, like the asbestos cases.

Consortium of major P&I insurers. Likely with huge overlay/reinsurance coverage via Lloyds of London. They'll pay out upfront, subrogate and then sue each other for years

Try to dig into root cause of the ship failure. What was the component that failed and can they go after that manufacturer, etc...

Last edited:
It was going through the canal. Panama canal was enlarged in recent years and this ship was sized to fit. But the canal is currently having drought problems so it's reduced the quantity of ships that can go through. Not enough water in the retention lakes to operate the locks.
Wow. If it had malfunctioned and ruined a lock or other structure, the damage to the canal and its shipping could be far worse than the damage from hitting the bridge.

All jokes aside, I haven't been this apathetic since the Davis years when even he was calling in sick for games.

The baseball team has nosedived after a 5-1 start and a top 25 ranking.

All I have right now is Women's basketball and hope for the football team and Mens soccer.
And unfortunately, the women's team plays S. Carolina next game.

It was a good year, though. 17-0 in Assembly Hall!

Biden already took credit for personally taking charge of salvage, cleanup and rebuild. He just “hopes” congress won’t stand in his way.

Rumor has it that Buttegeig is drafting the necessary regulations to make sure those who design and build the new bridge look like the people of Baltimore.
But why is he insisting that the federal government will pay for everything? It's almost like they're terrified of an insurance investigation.

Reactions: DANC

You know Davis was 1-31 this year, right (I may have the number of losses wrong, but he only won 1 game).

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

What about Dakich? He belongs on that entertainment team! Maybe Pat Knight?

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT