ADVERTISEMENT

Ball's in your court, Dems

I'm trying to remember, has a Dem Congress ever held the debt ceiling hostage during a Republican administration? And has a Pub Congress every held the debt ceiling hostage during a Republican administration?
Your starting to get it. If you would have added the question, "is water actually wet" then I would have been obvious that you know the answers to these things.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu and DANC
I'm trying to remember, has a Dem Congress ever held the debt ceiling hostage during a Republican administration? And has a Pub Congress every held the debt ceiling hostage during a Republican administration?
Nope. The debt ceiling has been raised something like 70-some times, and the only four times it's been a problem have all been GOP Congresses demanding concessions from a Democratic president.

Reactions: UncleMark
I dunno, I thought they might have a problem with increasing the deficit by lowering taxes. Guess not. Silly me.
Democrats or Republicans? I’m confused. I’ll restate my response. I don’t see how Democrats would have any leverage if the situation was reversed. The debt ceiling is only leverage for the party who wants to cut spending.

If I was the GOP I would keep the proposal they passed and tell the Democrats to get bent. If you don’t want to have this issue, stop spending in excess or raise taxes to pay for it.

Democrats or Republicans? I’m confused. I’ll restate my response. I don’t see how Democrats would have any leverage if the situation was reversed. The debt ceiling is only leverage for the party who wants to cut spending.

Not true. It all comes down to the budget, which includes taxes. They could be raised or lowered, just as spending could be raised or lowered.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Not true. It all comes down to the budget, which includes taxes. They could be raised or lowered, just as spending could be raised or lowered.
I gotcha, now. Democrats aren’t that stupid to raise taxes. People might start questioning all those benefits old fogeys are getting off of SS😄

I gotcha, now. Democrats aren’t that stupid to raise taxes. People might start questioning all those benefits old fogeys are getting off of SS😄
You have a point. This kind of hostage taking only works if the hostage-takers can claim the mantle of fiscal responsibility. While technically speaking, both spending and taxing are coequal parts of that, but politically speaking, only one of them plays well.

With the exception of 2 years from 1947-1949 democrats controlled congress from 1931 until 1995.

Not sure the exact answers to your questions but it seems these debt ceiling fights follow a pretty standard script and are nothing new.

Total revenue is about the economy, not about rates.

Congress treats the internal revenue code as a means to control our behavior, as a way to pay off large donors, or as a means to advance a general political agenda. To think congress looks at taxes as a way to meet appropriations is hopelessly naive.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Congress treats the internal revenue code as a means to control our behavior, as a way to pay off large donors, or as a means to advance a general political agenda. To think congress looks at taxes as a way to meet appropriations is hopelessly naive.

Sadly, you're spot on.

"McCarthy’s bill, dubbed the Limit, Save, Grow Act, would lift the federal borrowing limit by $1.5 trillion or through March 31, whichever comes first. It would cut federal discretionary spending to fiscal 2022 levels and impose a 1% growth cap, and it would recapture unspent Covid relief funds, kill Biden’s student debt cancellation plan, rescind IRS enforcement funding and add new work requirements for able-bodied adult recipients of federal programs like Medicaid."

Awfully darn close.
“Rescind IRS enforcement funding”…yep.

Increasing enforcement and auditing will cause damage to the private sector.

“Rescind IRS enforcement funding”…yep.

Increasing enforcement and auditing will cause damage to the private sector.

It slays me that Republicans object so strongly to enhanced tax enforcement. Especially when the lions share of people being audited are lower wage working people claiming the EITC and other tax breaks benefitting the working poor.

It slays me that Republicans object so strongly to enhanced tax enforcement. Especially when the lions share of people being audited are lower wage working people claiming the EITC and other tax breaks benefitting the working poor.

"We don't need new laws, just enforce the ones already on the books. But don't enforce them too much."

Sure they are because they are going after people who won't fight or can't, guilty or not. Coming soon to your trailer park. Why should struggling people care when the see Joe Biden sending their money overseas for a war we don't care about, Women's studies in Africa, women's studies in Afghanistan or wherever normal people in this country don't give a damn about. Obamacare so people like you can live off of others . Need more examples

Amount of taxes owed but not paid has not increased in decades

Reactions: DANC
"McCarthy’s bill, dubbed the Limit, Save, Grow Act, would lift the federal borrowing limit by $1.5 trillion or through March 31, whichever comes first. It would cut federal discretionary spending to fiscal 2022 levels and impose a 1% growth cap, and it would recapture unspent Covid relief funds, kill Biden’s student debt cancellation plan, rescind IRS enforcement funding and add new work requirements for able-bodied adult recipients of federal programs like Medicaid."

Awfully darn close.

Trouble with Rep is the first sentence, they are too wishy washy. What they passed is where they should have ended up with after negotiations. Alot of good things there, they will never get because they are giving up on debt limit going in.....starting to weak a position by giving up extending the borrowing limit up front.

Trouble with Rep is the first sentence, they are too wishy washy. What they passed is where they should have ended up with after negotiations. Alot of good things there, they will never get because they are giving up on debt limit going in.....starting to weak a position by giving up extending the borrowing limit up front.
Shorter Buck: "Nutbag extremist trying to destroy the economy didn't go nearly nutbag extremist enough."

Why does it slay you that Republicans are against going after poor people more?

So then we can make a law that we can not create a spending bill that creates debit that goes over the current debit limit. I like that. But neither side will do it.
It's a shell game. Set a limit, create new spending that will bust out the ceiling in 18 months, raise the ceiling, create bill to spend more than the ceiling in 18 months, raise the ceiling, vote to create a spending bill............ We are already past the ceiling and into the atmosphere. Can we survive until wee reach the edge of the milky way? If so, does that stop us? NOPE.
Why are you apparently locked in on allowing folks like Jeff Bezos to take their friends into outer space on rocket ships while they pay a lower marginal tax rate then their hourly wage workers?

Something is definitely broken when folks can afford $500 million mega yachts. Some of these monsters are approaching the size of the Titanic.

Joe Hoopster are you one of those guys?

Why was the funding needed? Obviously it’s not because there is rampant cheating by the wealthy and corporations. Which is what has been parroted

“If you’re looking for the big winners of the McCarthy IRS defunding plan, it’s billionaires and corporations who cheat on their taxes…repealing that funding is a $191 billion giveaway to wealthy tax cheats.”
It's as if you are effectively debating yourself, as these 2 posts are basically polar opposites...At least your most recent post is accurate and makes sense...

• Haha
I imagine that you think I will disagree with you, don't you?

Sorry, I can't. We are not screwed because of one party. We are screwed because we have been asleep at the wheel as voters, and voting for people who will give "us" more $$ for decades.
There's a substantial difference between being stupid and being uneducated, particularly when it comes to civics and political science. Far too many people or uneducated about how our governor works because they haven't figured out how to monetize it in their own life.

Not grasping the importance of understanding our political system - now that is stupid. An irony is that many Americans tuned politics out completely until it gets to the presidential conventions. And then they click on their television to watch a clown show both behind the pulpit and in the audience.

It's as if you are effectively debating yourself, as these 2 posts are basically polar opposites...At least your most recent post is accurate and makes sense...
If Maga types continue to play stupid games I hope Biden has the guts to invoke the 14th. They raised the debt ceiling 3X under Trump and all of a sudden when Dems are in the WH the GOP wants to unilaterally cut programs that assist millions?

Trump is a petulant spoiled child with his nonsense about "it's different when I was POTUS".
And ex-con Donalds makes a fool of himself defending Trump's hypocrisy.

I didn't really care about Trump actually going to prison before, but this latest display makes me hope that the indictments he faces and will face will lead to actual jail time. That smirk at the CNN forum- I'd love to see it wiped off his face by a fellow inmate...

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and NOMORENIT
IRS audits find relatively smaller errors and cheating on higher-income returns than lower income returns

Isn't that a result of manpower shortages and the fact that the underfunded IRS is currently overwhelmed by the legal machinations of the tax cheats and their high powered legal teams? Isn't that what the increased funding was supposed to help remedy?

• Haha
Hypocrisy
Bargaining on the debt ceiling would be horrible precedent to start. We haven't had the most ethical politicians running our government for quite some time. To give them this weapon every time the debt ceiling came up would end up being a catastrophe.

Isn't that a result of manpower shortages and the fact that the underfunded IRS is currently overwhelmed by the legal machinations of the tax cheats and their high powered legal teams? Isn't that what the increased funding was supposed to help remedy?

Probably because they can hire better accountants. High income returns are more complex. Business income, capital gains…yada yada.

Here are the outlays:
1. $45.6 billion for enforcement
2. $25.3 billion for operations support
3. $4.8 billion for business systems
4. $3.2 billion for taxpayer services

The IRS admits poor taxpayer service and outdated technology. When lobbying for funding in the Inflation Reduction Act they promised major improvements.

Democrats started the culture wars. Maybe you should stop.

20 years ago a man in a dress reading to children or a young girl chopping off her tits would have been unacceptable.

Yet you now push that shit. And you say we’re the ones who started it when in reality you have just completely lost your mind.

Look on the mirror. You’re a disgrace.
OMG. Take the time to talk to an actual school teacher before you belligerently state this is the norm. Sorry to ruin your day, but teachers are teaching their students math, science, english etc.....There are no "men in dresses" reading to students. My wife is a teacher, sister is a teacher, friends who are teachers. They all shake their heads when people like GiggityGoo act like they know what is going on in our schools.

Sorry to ruin your day, but teachers are teaching their students math, science, english etc.....There are no "men in dresses" reading to students. My wife is a teacher, sister is a teacher, friends who are teachers. They all shake their heads when people like GiggityGoo act like they know what is going on in our schools.
This is refreshing to hear. There should be no objection to The Parental Rights in Education Act then.

I’m not quite as sanguine as yourself however. I would refer you to the “It’s not happening in schools” thread.

And I know plenty a teacher, buzz off. Plus K-12 is not as distant a memory for me as it is for most of you old farts. I had my 8th grade teacher playing Obama campaign speeches for me comparing them to the Gettysburg Address, rolling his eyes when I asked if I could write a paper on Ronald Reagan when we had to do a presidential biography.

To top it all of my Tranny junior high principal would show up to school wide assembly’s with his rock hard nipples on his DD fake breasts pointing through for everyone to see.

This is refreshing to hear. There should be no objection to The Parental Rights in Education Act then.

I’m not quite as sanguine as yourself however. I would refer you to the “It’s not happening in schools” thread.

And I know plenty a teacher, buzz off. Plus K-12 is not as distant a memory for me as it is for most of you old farts. I had my 8th grade teacher playing Obama campaign speeches for me comparing them to the Gettysburg Address, rolling his eyes when I asked if I could write a paper on Ronald Reagan when we had to do a presidential biography.

To top it all of my Tranny junior high principal would show up to school wide assembly’s with his rock hard nipples on his DD fake breasts pointing through for everyone to see.
I'll say it again. If you are going to make big statements take the time to talk to the actual teachers first. Not just one but multiple teachers. Let us know what you find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT