ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

Dumb PU grad (and legacy) has no idea how to get subscribed to an email from his own Alma mater. Needs a Hoosier to tell him how to do it. What the heck do they teach you there?
I think he’s questioning the veracity of them. As someone who attends at least one game a year related to an academic endowment, I haven’t seen them, either. The $5 figures aren’t accurate, either, and are probably just fabricated. There are $10 youth tickets in the end zones.

Last edited:
Dumb PU grad (and legacy) has no idea how to get subscribed to an email from his own Alma mater. Needs a Hoosier to tell him how to do it. What the heck do they teach you there?
I get plenty of emails from them, just not the ones with those great offers. I wonder if those go out to people with financial issues.

Ridiculous.

Indiana has had a losing record in the conference 97 times since 1900. Losing in the conference is a permanent problem.

And Glass isnt doing what it takes to change that.

The only history relevant to a teams performance is the last 4, when the current players were recruited, prepared and have played.

The main history relevant to recruiting is the tenure of the current coaches.

The rest is just snake oil sales talk.

Reactions: 76-1
I know quite a few that had tickets and didn't even go. Boosters too. Many were at the osu game. I asked a group that I saw on Sunday that usually goes to every home game what did they think of the uconn game and nobody even watched on TV. You can't have the kind of regression we had against osu and try to get butts in the seats. Below is exactly what it looked like on TV too. The Big show was a joke. I really thought with it being family weekend that more would show but again alot of people are losing interest. Take care of business this week at sparty and you might start getting some back. That osu game was unbearable and people are not dealing well with that. jmho

I know quite a few that had tickets and didn't even go. Boosters too. Many were at the osu game. I asked a group that I saw on Sunday that usually goes to every home game what did they think of the uconn game and nobody even watched on TV. You can't have the kind of regression we had against osu and try to get butts in the seats. Below is exactly what it looked like on TV too. The Big show was a joke. I really thought with it being family weekend that more would show but again alot of people are losing interest. Take care of business this week at sparty and you might start getting some back. That osu game was unbearable and people are not dealing well with that. jmho

Show a picture from the second quarter

Which is when almost every IU game sees its max crowd

Schedule 3 OOC wins, people bitch
Schedule 3 hard ones, people bitch

Bitching is the easy road

Sorry about bitching, but you just can't play an OOC schedule of BSU, EIU, and U Conn. It's an insult to anybody who really appreciates college football. It's just a chickens*** move.

If you're going to play BSU & U Conn, at least play another MAC team. If you're going to play EIU, at least play a Cincy, UK, Missouri or UL to balance it out.

Reactions: evvcabinetman

It is what it is...I shared with you the sentiments of some people I know. It wasn't a good look period and I ain't gonna try and put lipstick on it. You have to start beating some BIG competition and this week would be a great start. Then you get a nice bye to get all healed up and get after it again. Edit and ohhh btw. 2nd quarter of the osu game? Everyone left during the 2nd Q.

Sorry about bitching, but you just can't play an OOC schedule of BSU, EIU, and U Conn. It's an insult to anybody who really appreciates college football. It's just a chickens*** move.

If you're going to play BSU & U Conn, at least play another MAC team. If you're going to play EIU, at least play a Cincy, UK, Missouri or UL to balance it out.

And if we lose two out of three you'll want to fire the coach (thus setting the program back another 5 years [rinse repeat])...

If we ever create a program that has the starters and depth where we're routinely winning 9 + games, we might consider your approach, short of having built that type of program what you suggest is less than a good idea...

Reactions: bsaus

Why can’t you play those teams? The fans have shown they are not going to show up no matter who you play. You have that diehard fan base that is going to show no matter who you play. So you might as well play games you should win. Before playing the BIG east schedule which even in a down year is no easy task. Take your wins which has not always been the case as we have lost to teams we should not have and then try to get to .500 in conference play. Contrary to popular belief you do not get better in ooc games you get better in practice.

At this stage in the program's development, the most important thing is to get to 6 wins and make a bowl. That generates interest, both among fans and recruits. Given the meat grinder conference schedule we play (and especially now with only 3 non-con games) it is imperative that we get three wins in our OOC play. It is also important that our first and second string players stay healthy, and that other guys who may be forced into action get reps.

As a season-ticket holder I'm not especially thrilled with our out-of-conference schedule, but I recognize the need to do it. If Jim Delaney and his minions ever decide to return to 4 non-conference games or create a more balanced conference schedule where we don't have to face four of the best five programs every single year (and all 5 when we play Wisky), I'd be all for a good P5 opponent or two P5 opponents who happen to be at our talent level.

Making bowl games creates buzz (ask PUke fans). That buzz sells tickets and brings recruits. And I would be willing to bet my house that if Purdue had a schedule this year that included OSU and MSU (along with PSU) instead of Maryland and IU (both at home, btw) they would have scheduled an FCS opponent instead of TCU.

And if we lose two out of three you'll want to fire the coach (thus setting the program back another 5 years [rinse repeat])...

If we ever create a program that has the starters and depth where we're routinely winning 9 + games, we might consider your approach, short of having built that type of program what you suggest is less than a good idea...

Who are we going to lose 2/3 to if we play the type of schedule I suggest?

There are a lot of drawbacks to playing a chickens*** schedule year in and year out that you do not acknowledge.

Paid Attendance for game was 40,008. ILL-Neb was 44,000. RU-BC was 32,217. Agree that there were not many in the stands. Many enjoy the sunny day in the lots. I do not know what an IU football fan is. Many are people who buy the tickets to better their basketball tickets and then sell their tickets and parking pass to the enemy. The typical IU football fan is, basically, indifferent, making excuses and complaining when not, and doesn't really want to go to games.

I’m a Purdue legacy, graduate, member of the Purdue Alumni Association, my family owned season tickets for decades in football and basketball, but I’m not receiving these emails. Can you post the information for me? I’d like to take my family down for a game.

Thanks in advance!

Weird that someone of your "stature" isn't on the AD email list. And since you say you have not seen any promotions, you must not be, because the PU AD has been much better at it than IU I have gotten them almost every week for some time (and it shows).

Despite your obsession and sophomoric posts at me, I will be the adult and happily share whatever I get.

At this stage in the program's development, the most important thing is to get to 6 wins and make a bowl. That generates interest, both among fans and recruits. Given the meat grinder conference schedule we play (and especially now with only 3 non-con games) it is imperative that we get three wins in our OOC play. It is also important that our first and second string players stay healthy, and that other guys who may be forced into action get reps.

As a season-ticket holder I'm not especially thrilled with our out-of-conference schedule, but I recognize the need to do it. If Jim Delaney and his minions ever decide to return to 4 non-conference games or create a more balanced conference schedule where we don't have to face four of the best five programs every single year (and all 5 when we play Wisky), I'd be all for a good P5 opponent or two P5 opponents who happen to be at our talent level.

Making bowl games creates buzz (ask PUke fans). That buzz sells tickets and brings recruits. And I would be willing to bet my house that if Purdue had a schedule this year that included OSU and MSU (along with PSU) instead of Maryland and IU (both at home, btw) they would have scheduled an FCS opponent instead of TCU.

You and the two other two posters with similar views are good guys but are wrong headed about this matter. You are so short-sighted it is exhausting arguing with you.

I'm really disgusted by this type of OOC schedule and believe it does a lot more harm than good. I understand your argument and disagree with it 100%.

I looked at other D1 regional teams and other traditional deadbeats in P5 conferences, and nearly everyone scheduled as I suggest this year:

Cincy......UCLA
UL..........UK
UK..........UL
Northwestern.....Stanford
Rutgers......BC
Purdue...TCU
Iowa.....Iowa St
Missouri.....West Virginia
Ole Miss.....Cal
Miss St.......Kansas St.
Iowa St......Iowa
Kansas.....BC
Kansas St.....Miss St.
Oregon St.....OK State
Washington St.....Houston
Duke.....Alabama (I don't suggest this)
Pitt.....PSU

The ONLY example for the type of scheduling you advocate that I could find was Wake. So, other than the guy at WF, Fred is the only AD around with no balls.

And before you say "Alabama", as I know you will, that's obviously more disgusting than us, but at least it makes financial sense in that they aren't hurting attendance wise and don't need butts in the seats for potential recruits, and they are keeping their eyes on the prize.

Lets put it a different way....lets say you're a band member or a football playing 8th grader sitting the seats in the first half for the EIU game......what impression of the football program and of IU as a whole do you leave with? Wouldn't it be better playing UK or UL or Missouri and having 10000 more fans in the stands, some of whom actually stay around for the 4th quarter?

Reactions: bang63 and fpeaugh
There are a lot of drawbacks to playing a chickens*** schedule year in and year out that you do not acknowledge.[/QUOTE]

Year in and year out? From 2013 to 2018 we played Wake or Virginia. From 2021 to 2025 we play Cincy or Louisville. In 2019-2020 do have the weakest OOC schedule of the P5 schools. That is not really year in and year out. Who knows maybe somebody backed out on us at the last minute when the schedule was being put together 5 or 6 years ago. I would rather play UK every year like we used to but I don't think it is killing the program.

You and the two other two posters with similar views are good guys but are wrong headed about this matter. You are so short-sighted it is exhausting arguing with you.

I'm really disgusted by this type of OOC schedule and believe it does a lot more harm than good. I understand your argument and disagree with it 100%.

I looked at other D1 regional teams and other traditional deadbeats in P5 conferences, and nearly everyone scheduled as I suggest this year:

Cincy......UCLA
UL..........UK
UK..........UL
Rutgers......BC
Purdue...TCU
Iowa.....Iowa St
Ole Miss.....Cal
Miss St.......Kansas St.
Iowa St......Iowa
Kansas.....BC
Kansas St.....Miss St.
Oregon St.....OK State
Pitt.....PSU

The ONLY example for the type of scheduling you advocate that I could find was Wake. So, other than the guy at WF, Fred is the only AD around with no balls.

And before you say "Alabama", as I know you will, that's obviously more disgusting than us, but at least it makes financial sense in that they aren't hurting attendance wise and don't need butts in the seats for potential recruits, and they are keeping their eyes on the prize.

Lets put it a different way....lets say you're a band member or a football playing 8th grader sitting the seats in the first half for the EIU game......what impression of the football program and of IU as a whole do you leave with? Wouldn't it be better playing UK or UL or Missouri and having 10000 more fans in the stands, some of whom actually stay around for the 4th quarter?
Who on that list faces the same level of in-conference competition that we do ? How many of those listed have anything close to our level of futility in making a bowl game historically ? The reason I defend our scheduling is because I think we are in a rare group of schools who face 4 certain losses in conference play each year. What good is it going to do Rutgers to schedule a loss to BC and miss a bowl game again ?

The rest of those you mentioned can all be competitive versus most of their conference opponents or play in conferences that allow 4 ooc games. If we still had 4 ooc games or played in the B1G west where we could avoid getting physically beat to hell 4 times during the course of the season I might agree with you. In our current situation, I say we are doing what has to be done to give ourselves a chance - not just to make a bowl but to be competitive at the end of the season. I sincerely believe the reason we lost the last two bucket games is because we were so badly fatigued (last year) or beat up with critical injuries (2017) and the Boilers had not had to endure that level of pounding in October and November.

There are a lot of drawbacks to playing a chickens*** schedule year in and year out that you do not acknowledge.

Year in and year out? From 2013 to 2018 we played Wake or Virginia. From 2021 to 2025 we play Cincy or Louisville. In 2019-2020 do have the weakest OOC schedule of the P5 schools. That is not really year in and year out. Who knows maybe somebody backed out on us at the last minute when the schedule was being put together 5 or 6 years ago. I would rather play UK every year like we used to but I don't think it is killing the program.[/QUOTE]

OK, good to know. Playing UL or Cincy would be a good thing. I remember when we played at Cincy many years ago....I went.....it was a good road trip....that would not be a bad game to play every year, with the # of potential recruits in that area,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: IU Fan 1989

Year in and year out? From 2013 to 2018 we played Wake or Virginia. From 2021 to 2025 we play Cincy or Louisville. In 2019-2020 do have the weakest OOC schedule of the P5 schools. That is not really year in and year out. Who knows maybe somebody backed out on us at the last minute when the schedule was being put together 5 or 6 years ago. I would rather play UK every year like we used to but I don't think it is killing the program.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find it, but I don't think the U Conn scheduling was from 5-6 years ago.......for about 30 minutes a few years back the BT adopted a rule that they wouldn't play FCS teams and would all have to play at least 1 PF opponent......Fred asked to be able to sub U Conn for a P5 opponent, presumably because everyone knew sucked and would continue to suck. Then Delaney relented and BT teams were again able to schedule FCS schools, and we end up with E. Illinois.

I couldn't find it, but I don't think the U Conn scheduling was from 5-6 years ago.......for about 30 minutes a few years back the BT adopted a rule that they wouldn't play FCS teams and would all have to play at least 1 PF opponent......Fred asked to be able to sub U Conn for a P5 opponent, presumably because everyone knew sucked and would continue to suck. Then Delaney relented and BT teams were again able to schedule FCS schools, and we end up with E. Illinois.[/QUOTE]

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...112/big-ten-fcs-opponents-football-scheduling

The restriction on FCS scheduling now has a caveat. In years when Big Ten teams have four conference home games out of the nine-game schedule, they can put FCS teams on their schedule.

Any team in the American Athletic Conference is going to get approval for a P5 sub and I think they all have.

Reactions: elijawon
I should have surmised intent better. While many schools have also experienced attendance issues, it’s amplified at IU in part because of its history and location. The OSUs of the world also have a lot of fan equity kind of like we have/had in basketball. Yes winning helps but it seems the traditional model of selling tickets vs staying at home or doing other things is at the critical juncture. With other sources of revenue making bulk of income, perhaps the ticket sales revenue/expectation should go under major rehab. The benefit of having a seat filled has to be nearing if not passed admission. A few years ago it seemed a major effort was made to reduce tailgating. Instead of making it more difficult and driving fans away, at least they were in the lot. That’s almost there and a lot better odds than if trying to draw from living room. Different times.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Weird that someone of your "stature" isn't on the AD email list. And since you say you have not seen any promotions, you must not be, because the PU AD has been much better at it than IU I have gotten them almost every week for some time (and it shows).

Despite your obsession and sophomoric posts at me, I will be the adult and happily share whatever I get.

So today's email was an offer for the first BIG game vs Minny. Offers included $10 youth and $25 adult tickets. Prices going up for league play I guess.

For comparison I went to the IU site. The promotion for the next two games is $90 for two nosebleed seats that includes a $10 food voucher and a $10 remote parking pass. The third game out the package increases to $140.

purdue still far more aggressive from a promotions standpoint and they will likely have more xtra wide butts in the seats as a result. May have some men as well.

Reactions: stripetology

Cincy......UCLA
UL..........UK
UK..........UL
Rutgers......BC
Purdue...TCU
Iowa.....Iowa St
Ole Miss.....Cal
Miss St.......Kansas St.
Iowa St......Iowa
Kansas.....BC
Kansas St.....Miss St.
Oregon St.....OK State
Pitt.....PSU

How about they leave with the impression we won. Based on your assumption that if we play better teams out of conference then attendance would go up why then did we have empty seats with the 6th ranked team in the country? Should the stadium not been filled for that game?

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1

How do you know how any team is when these games are schedule 3 - 5 years before they're played?

Wake Forest is getting votes for top 25 and they just played Elon.

Please feel free to lend Fred your expertise in scheduling.

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1
I sincerely believe the reason we lost the last two bucket games is because we were so badly fatigued (last year) or beat up with critical injuries (2017) and the Boilers had not had to endure that level of pounding in October and November.
One thing we never run out of here is excuses. Critical injuries (2017)...Purdue beat us with an ACL-deficit back-up QB. We aren't the only team with a tough stretch of schedule and as for the "so badly fatigued" claim...the 3 weeks leading up to the Bucket, we had a bye followed by games against Maryland and Michigan. Purdue, in that same timeframe, played Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin (3OT). Their 2 games prior - OSU and at MSU. No wonder they were so rested. TIC
I sure hope Allen eventually can win one he's not favored in. Maybe then we can move past the whining about the schedule. I won't hold my breath.

One thing we never run out of here is excuses. Critical injuries (2017)...Purdue beat us with an ACL-deficit back-up QB. We aren't the only team with a tough stretch of schedule and as for the "so badly fatigued" claim...the 3 weeks leading up to the Bucket, we had a bye followed by games against Maryland and Michigan. Purdue, in that same timeframe, played Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin (3OT). Their 2 games prior - OSU and at MSU. No wonder they were so rested. TIC
I sure hope Allen eventually can win one he's not favored in. Maybe then we can move past the whining about the schedule. I won't hold my breath.

13 posts...all about how PU is better or East West doesn't matter.

Odd.

Reactions: YOTHN and 76-1

This. I think it's fair to both acknowledge that there's a problem with attendance (nothing new, this has been the case for an eternity for IU football), and that the weekly photos from the pre-game showing 15,000 people in the stands are a distortion. I'm out of state and have to watch on tv, but what I see on tv during the game, in particular during the first half, always shows significantly better attendance than the pre-game photo posts from our fans, our rivals fans, and the media. We're a late arriving fan base, and students tend to leave early in blowouts in either direction. Like it or not, that's fair enough.

That said, the best solution to attendance is to win regularly. There's only so much the athletic department can do to draw fans and get them to stay in the stadium. If the program were able to manage 7 wins with some regularity, I'm pretty confident that attendance would push much closer to a 50k average.

It's also fair to acknowledge that, even with all the work done to the stadium, the experience for fans is still pretty dated. I do not believe that we'll need more seating any time soon, or perhaps ever, but I think there have been missed opportunities with the stadium upgrades. I'd guess that the stadium is still 90-95% metal bench seating? That's an outdated setup and. Unless you're super passionate, sitting for 3.5+ hours on a metal bench just doesn't meet the expectations of most of today's fans. The stadium definitely needs a bigger variety of seating options with various levels of amenities. UCF and some other programs have done an incredible job with this in recent years. Prior to the SEZ enclosure, I thought it would be a good idea to consider eliminating large chunks or all of the bench seating and replacing it with individual seats. A well-designed addition could have kept the seating number roughly the same by utilizing new end zone space to keep the capacity similar. While the additions have provided some additional options for more premium seating, it's still pretty slim - more suites, loge boxes, and a variety of other tiered seating options are needed and have been popular at a lot of other programs.

Reactions: DANC
This. I think it's fair to both acknowledge that there's a problem with attendance (nothing new, this has been the case for an eternity for IU football), and that the weekly photos from the pre-game showing 15,000 people in the stands are a distortion. I'm out of state and have to watch on tv, but what I see on tv during the game, in particular during the first half, always shows significantly better attendance than the pre-game photo posts from our fans, our rivals fans, and the media. We're a late arriving fan base, and students tend to leave early in blowouts in either direction. Like it or not, that's fair enough.

That said, the best solution to attendance is to win regularly. There's only so much the athletic department can do to draw fans and get them to stay in the stadium. If the program were able to manage 7 wins with some regularity, I'm pretty confident that attendance would push much closer to a 50k average.

It's also fair to acknowledge that, even with all the work done to the stadium, the experience for fans is still pretty dated. I do not believe that we'll need more seating any time soon, or perhaps ever, but I think there have been missed opportunities with the stadium upgrades. I'd guess that the stadium is still 90-95% metal bench seating? That's an outdated setup and. Unless you're super passionate, sitting for 3.5+ hours on a metal bench just doesn't meet the expectations of most of today's fans. The stadium definitely needs a bigger variety of seating options with various levels of amenities. UCF and some other programs have done an incredible job with this in recent years. Prior to the SEZ enclosure, I thought it would be a good idea to consider eliminating large chunks or all of the bench seating and replacing it with individual seats. A well-designed addition could have kept the seating number roughly the same by utilizing new end zone space to keep the capacity similar. While the additions have provided some additional options for more premium seating, it's still pretty slim - more suites, loge boxes, and a variety of other tiered seating options are needed and have been popular at a lot of other programs.
Excellent post. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next upgrade to MS be in terms of suites and premium seating on the west side.

I'll tell you what else would be nice. As I get older, it's harder to go up and down those stairs. And I see a lot of older folks struggling with their balance - I'm always afraid someone will misstep and go tumbling head first. Ken Nunn needs to pony up for railing, like he did for Assembly Hall (which was a great upgrade and made it much safer).

I'd also love to be able to place a food and drink order on my phone and have it delivered to my seat. I would dig that in a huge way.

Last edited:
How about they leave with the impression we won. Based on your assumption that if we play better teams out of conference then attendance would go up why then did we have empty seats with the 6th ranked team in the country? Should the stadium not been filled for that game?

Because, sadly, there is zero enthusiasm for the program. There about 25 reasons why. I do believe that trying to schedule 6 wins so that we can go to a bowl game that nobody cares about just adds to the perception that this is not a serious program. Another is that people knew we were going to get beat by 35 points and there would be 10000-15000 OSU fans there doing the O-H-I-O thing. How many of the 30000-35000 IU fans who attended that game wished they hadn't?

I didn't say play Alabama or Clemson. I said play 1 regional team of interest that we would have a shot at beating. And who would bring some fans to the game to liven things up. We need to start looking like a Big 10 football program. Do something about getting a marching band for a football program, for god's sake. Stop trying to squeeze every dollar of people who want to tailgate in the grass lots et al

Re: outdated stadium experience....please kid rid of the "Wipeout" song pre-game. Good Lord.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Because, sadly, there is zero enthusiasm for the program. There about 25 reasons why. I do believe that trying to schedule 6 wins so that we can go to a bowl game that nobody cares about just adds to the perception that this is not a serious program. Another is that people knew we were going to get beat by 35 points and there would be 10000-15000 OSU fans there doing the O-H-I-O thing. How many of the 30000-35000 IU fans who attended that game wished they hadn't?

I didn't say play Alabama or Clemson. I said play 1 regional team of interest that we would have a shot at beating. And who would bring some fans to the game to liven things up. We need to start looking like a Big 10 football program. Do something about getting a marching band for a football program, for god's sake. Stop trying to squeeze every dollar of people who want to tailgate in the grass lots et al
Just more excuses. If people knew we going to get beat by 35 why are they so upset? It is ridiculous to go and 3 tough games when you have the conference schedule you have. The other thing I am not shooting for 6 wins. But sometimes you have to be realistic. Like I said I am also a Gator fan and I am driving 4 hours this Saturday to watch them play Towson State how close do you think that is going to be?

Re: outdated stadium experience....please kid rid of the "Wipeout" song pre-game. Good Lord.
Hoosier Wipeout is ridiculous. We make fun of it every time.

The thing is, it's so bad that we actually look forward to joking about it.

There are million other songs they could play during that awkward time before the team comes out. How they ever came up with 'Hoosier Wipeout', I'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT