ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

And notice who liked it. lol Some people are absolutely clueless sometimes.
I get tired of the same excuses, apparently some don’t. Instead of complaining for the sake of complaining, actually take a look at the data. Do you really think we’d be in a different place, as a program, playing in the West? Who do we jump? We have beaten the bottom feeders when they are down. That’s it. This year is as good an opportunity as we’re ever going to have as we miss Iowa and Wisconsin, and get to play a beatable Nebraska and struggling Northwestern and Purdue squads. We’ll see if it happens.

Reactions: grammy2
I believe Hoosier fans have what I would call Basketball Syndrome. We have a collectively short attention span that is great for 20 minute halves that only stop for TV or coaches timeouts. Where as in football you know the game is going to run 3-4 hours. I blame basketball! :)

Reactions: 76-1
All kidding aside is there anything you like about this program?

Interesting question.

It's one I ask myself about half the time after a home game. You have to give the program props for the north and south end zone additions. I like the USS Indiana stuff out front. The field looks good. I like the grass tailgating lot with trees. I like being on campus before and after games. The unis look pretty good. I like it when we've had exceptionally good players to watch....Joe Norman, Gunn, AT, Ernie Jones, Dumas, ARE, K. Lewis, T. Porter, Scales. Right now, there's no one like that to watch. I am hopeful about Penix.

I used to think the absolute coolest part of the IU football experience since our downturn post-Mallory was the awesome partying going on the in the grass lots. I'd park on the south side and walk to the stadium and think,'damn, we know how to party around here'. Then Fred decided to try to pimp every last dollar out of the grass parking lots. So you can cross that one off.

In the don't like category? OOC scheduling, the band, Fred's promotions....most of all, the lack of crowds and energy in the stadium most of the time.

Now...let me ask you. Do you have ANY issues with the IU football experience, or are your lips as tightly pressed to Fred's rear-end as it seems?

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh and bang63
Hoosier Wipeout is ridiculous. We make fun of it every time.

The thing is, it's so bad that we actually look forward to joking about it.

There are million other songs they could play during that awkward time before the team comes out. How they ever came up with 'Hoosier Wipeout', I'll never know.

You know, the thing is........the fight song (I like the long version), Back Home Again in Indiana, the NA, Indiana Fight are all good....and then they throw that in right in the middle of everything for no apparent reason...and have done it for 20 straight years although no one likes it......maddening because its so tacky.

edit...Let me give you a 'for example'....the pep band and the 100 both play a cool jazzy song at the very end of their post-game performances, when basically no one is in the stands....I don't know the name of it, but it's a great MB song....if they HAVE to have a time killing song, stick that one in. I guarantee it would be better received than Wipe-out.

How do you know how any team is when these games are schedule 3 - 5 years before they're played?

Wake Forest is getting votes for top 25 and they just played Elon.

Please feel free to lend Fred your expertise in scheduling.

Well, I know about the U Conn situation because I've followed their board some since BT expansion was talked about. Fred's a lot of things, but he's no dummy. There are reasons he picked U Conn (remember, we were supposed to be playing P5 opponents, and he asked for an exception) for a home and home situation and not a P5 team or even other AAC teams like Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa, East Carolina......namely, because U Conn football got the death sentence when they weren't invited into the B10 or ACC......no recruiting grounds, basketball school, a smallish stadium 30(?) miles off-campus, only D1 for 20 years....they may not have a football program 5 years from now.

So.......I guess I think Fred is smarter than you do, because he got what he wanted with U Conn.

Interesting question.

It's one I ask myself about half the time after a hone game. You have to give the program props for the north and south end zone additions. I like the USS Indiana stuff out front. The field looks good. I like the grass tailgating lot with trees. I like being on campus before and after games. The unis look pretty good. I like it when we've had exceptionally good players to watch....Joe Norman, Gunn, AT, Ernie Jones, Dumas, ARE, K. Lewis, T. Porter, Scales. Right now, there's no one like that to watch. I am hopeful about Penix.

I used to think the absolute coolest part of the IU football experience since our downturn post-Mallory was the awesome partying going on the in the grass lots. I'd park on the south side and walk to the stadium and think,'damn, we know how to party around here'. Then Fred decided to try to pimp every last dollar out of the grass parking lots. So you can cross that one off.

In the don't like category? OOC scheduling, the band, Fred's promotions....most of all, the lack of crowds and energy in the stadium most of the time.

Now...let me ask you. Do you have ANY issues with the IU football experience, or are your lips as tightly pressed to Fred's rear-end as it seems?
Most people on here live in an IU bubble. They have no idea how far behind we are because they don’t go to any other games. They think our experience is not only acceptable, but even appealing to recruits and outsiders.

You know, the thing is........the fight song (I like the long version), Back Home Again in Indiana, the NA, Indiana Fight are all good....and then they throw that in right in the middle of everything for no apparent reason...and have done it for 20 straight years although no one likes it......maddening because its so tacky.

edit...Let me give you a 'for example'....the pep band and the 100 both play a cool jazzy song at the very end of their post-game performances, when basically no one is in the stands....I don't know the name of it, but it's a great MB song....if they HAVE to have a time killing song, stick that one in. I guarantee it would be better received than Wipe-out.

I think you're talking about Sing Sing Sing. And it's a GREAT Marching Hundred tradition.

I often stay after so I can hear it. I've actually told my family to play it at my funeral (hopefully getting some of the Hundred to do it). Because that's how they always end the football and basketball games. I'm weird, I know.....

As I said, they have their choice of a millions songs - and we get Hoosier Wipeout. At this point, it's so cheesy, its actually funny. I'm sure opponent fans are like WTF?

Most people on here live in an IU bubble. They have no idea how far behind we are because they don’t go to any other games. They think our experience is not only acceptable, but even appealing to recruits and outsiders.
What's this 'we' and 'our' talk?

Well, I know about the U Conn situation because I've followed their board some since BT expansion was talked about. Fred's a lot of things, but he's no dummy. There are reasons he picked U Conn (remember, we were supposed to be playing P5 opponents, and he asked for an exception) for a home and home situation and not a P5 team or even other AAC teams like Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa, East Carolina......namely, because U Conn football got the death sentence when they weren't invited into the B10 or ACC......no recruiting grounds, basketball school, a smallish stadium 30(?) miles off-campus, only D1 for 20 years....they may not have a football program 5 years from now.

So.......I guess I think Fred is smarter than you do, because he got what he wanted with U Conn.
I think the UConn series got interrupted a few years back and was postponed until this year.

I don't have proof of that, but I know we've had some series where we were supposed to play a home and home or 1 there and 2 here and games got canceled or rescheduled.

I don't know what you mean about me thinking Fred isn't smart. I have no trouble scheduling UConn or the Little Sisters of the Poor. Alabama does it. Clemson does it. Lots of very good teams do it.

You don't like it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. If we're scheduling 3 cupcakes after we're ranked for a few years and going to bowls, then, yeah, I'll complain. Until then, I don't care who we play as long as it's a game that gets us closer to a bowl. And I go to every game.

All kidding aside is there anything you like about this program?

Interesting question.

It's one I ask myself about half the time after a hone game. You have to give the program props for the north and south end zone additions. I like the USS Indiana stuff out front. The field looks good. I like the grass tailgating lot with trees. I like being on campus before and after games. The unis look pretty good. I like it when we've had exceptionally good players to watch....Joe Norman, Gunn, AT, Ernie Jones, Dumas, ARE, K. Lewis, T. Porter, Scales. Right now, there's no one like that to watch. I am hopeful about Penix.

So agree the coolest thing used to be the atmosphere at tailgates. The killing of that experience, and they really have muted most every unique aspect, was ill guide. It’s not hard to figure out all the pc, optic and liability reasons but they’ve made it even harder to get people in the stands now as well as drastically reduce the environment. It used to rival sec tailgates. Now is more along Ball States. Maybe someday the ivory tower will listen.

So agree the coolest thing used to be the atmosphere at tailgates. The killing of that experience, and they really have muted most every unique aspect, was ill guide. It’s not hard to figure out all the pc, optic and liability reasons but they’ve made it even harder to get people in the stands now as well as drastically reduce the environment. It used to rival sec tailgates. Now is more along Ball States. Maybe someday the ivory tower will listen.
I think the idea was to try to get the people to actually come inside the stadium. It is a shame if that is true I know the no re entry came to Gainesville along time ago and people did not like it either. It is frustrating to listen to so many excuses as to why not go to the game and I know there is a hardcore loyal followers. And I am not one to talk because I have never been to game in Memorial Stadium my younger brother went last year and said the place is really nice. He and friend traveled to Penn Stare the year before. He has been to most of SEC places he is just amazed that people don’t go. I also stated before that I attended games in Gainesville pre Steve Spurrier when the Gators were not very good but it was still fun and filled.

I think you're talking about Sing Sing Sing. And it's a GREAT Marching Hundred tradition.

I often stay after so I can hear it. I've actually told my family to play it at my funeral (hopefully getting some of the Hundred to do it). Because that's how they always end the football and basketball games. I'm weird, I know.....

As I said, they have their choice of a millions songs - and we get Hoosier Wipeout. At this point, it's so cheesy, its actually funny. I'm sure opponent fans are like WTF?

lol.....I agree. it's a great song. I've stayed and listened to it a few times after big IU BB wins. I also stayed after at the E. Illinois game and watched the band. They played H to Old IU, Chimes of Indiana, and Sing, Sing, Sing......all sounded really good. There just aren't enough of them, and they have no idea how to march in straight lines. But back to the point....it's a great MB song....why not play it pre-game rather than the last song of the evening when 100 people are there? And instead of Wipeout, which has nothing to do with Indiana? So frustrating....

Reactions: DANC
I think the idea was to try to get the people to actually come inside the stadium. It is a shame if that is true I know the no re entry came to Gainesville along time ago and people did not like it either. It is frustrating to listen to so many excuses as to why not go to the game and I know there is a hardcore loyal followers. And I am not one to talk because I have never been to game in Memorial Stadium my younger brother went last year and said the place is really nice. He and friend traveled to Penn Stare the year before. He has been to most of SEC places he is just amazed that people don’t go. I also stated before that I attended games in Gainesville pre Steve Spurrier when the Gators were not very good but it was still fun and filled.
My thinking is if they are in the parking lot, the effort to get them into the stadium has to be far less than getting them to come from home. May take ongoing unique actions to get them in but they literally are on your doorstep. Huge advantage. Instead, many just don’t come at all now. Bad results of unintended consequences.

Yes, if it was for the reasons you mention it would be one thing....but I don't think that was the reason. I think it was to get a few more $ out of the grass lot parkers. really, really stupid and short-sighted. How many potential donors did Fred tick off with that?

My thinking is if they are in the parking lot, the effort to get them into the stadium has to be far less than getting them to come from home. May take ongoing unique actions to get them in but they literally are on your doorstep. Huge advantage. Instead, many just don’t come at all now. Bad results of unintended consequences.

That's what I'm saying...........if they're there, and we're decent, and we're playing a UK, UL, or Missouri instead of Eastern Illinois, and they see an exciting, close game, win or lose.....they might come back.

Yes, if it was for the reasons you mention it would be one thing....but I don't think that was the reason. I think it was to get a few more $ out of the grass lot parkers. really, really stupid and short-sighted. How many potential donors did Fred tick off with that?
You very well may be right, at least an element. Same result of unintended consequences though. They had fan advisory boards a few years ago. While everyone wanted to talk about these types of issues, they were more concerned about concession offerings and if we felt safe. Loved the concept and applaud them for board but they really didn’t want the type of feedback people wanted to give.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Donors aren't parking in the grass lots and staying outside the stadium. Donors are in the reserved lots and inside watching football.

I have no dog in the fight and could not care less whether people go in or not. Nor do I care what the charge is to park there or what restrictions are employed. But I doubt very much that the people participating in the debauchery contests ( with credit to MTIOTF) are providing much of a financial boost to IU.

What I do believe is that it creates a significant expense for the university to clean up that area and police it for the worst types of behavior. I also believe that the family of the coed who drinks her small body into a coma will be the first to sue IU for her irresponsible behavior and their attorney will be leading the charge to publicly smear the administration for failing to protect her from her own stupidity.

Litigation costs money. That money has to come from somewhere.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Excellent post. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next upgrade to MS be in terms of suites and premium seating on the west side.

I'll tell you what else would be nice. As I get older, it's harder to go up and down those stairs. And I see of older folks struggling with their balance - I'm always afraid someone will misstep and go tumbling head down. Ken Nunn needs to pony up for railing, like he did for Assembly Hall (which was a great upgrade and made it much safer).

I'd also love to be able to place a food and drink order on my phone and have it delivered to my seat. I would dig that in a huge way.

Man the delivery idea is amazing....but I would imagine the amount of people needed to handle 35,000 beer requests would be crazy.... I do think something could be done if desired..... I also agree with the railing issue. I can’t believe they haven’t been installed already

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Donors aren't parking in the grass lots and staying outside the stadium. Donors are in the reserved lots and inside watching football.

I have no dog in the fight and could not care less whether people go in or not. Nor do I care what the charge is to park there or what restrictions are employed. But I doubt very much that the people participating in the debauchery contests ( with credit to MTIOTF) are providing much of a financial boost to IU.

What I do believe is that it creates a significant expense for the university to clean up that area and police it for the worst types of behavior. I also believe that the family of the coed who drinks her small body into a coma will be the first to sue IU for her irresponsible behavior and their attorney will be leading the charge to publicly smear the administration for failing to protect her from her own stupidity.

First I agree with your post about a lawsuit waiting to happen....

The only conclusion that can really be drawn is the University actually WANTS the crazy partying. The will never say it but the do promote it with the large off road challenges etc that they allow in the areas. These are corporate sponsors I would assume. All you have to do is watch from across the street and pick the people out that should probably be heading home early. They don’t...... hence they support it by turning their eyes away from it......

The only conclusion that can really be drawn is the University actually WANTS the crazy partying. The will never say it but the do promote it with the large off road challenges etc that they allow in the areas. These are corporate sponsors I would assume. All you have to do is watch from across the street and pick the people out that should probably be heading home early. They don’t...... hence they support it by turning their eyes away from it......
You obviously have never been to an SEC or any number of tailgates all over country. Point is when you have literally tens of thousands of people in a lot, they are just yards away from putting butt in seat. Should always have been priority. Is like having chum in water but chasing away the sharks

Reactions: fpeaugh
You obviously have never been to an SEC or any number of tailgates all over country. Point is when you have literally tens of thousands of people in a lot, they are just yards away from putting butt in seat. Should always have been priority. Is like having chum in water but chasing away the sharks
I didn’t say it was bad..... I said the University supported it and showed their support by allowing it to continue. You point out why it is okay.... I’m not saying one way or the other just that the University is aware of the issue and allows it. So, when they described coed does sue, it will be foreseen I am sure....

Reactions: stripetology

Hey, my accounts been hacked! Strange, I replied to a different post that was using my handle/pic but it’s disappeared and tagged this post. Apologies

Last edited:
lol.....I agree. it's a great song. I've stayed and listened to it a few times after big IU BB wins. I also stayed after at the E. Illinois game and watched the band. They played H to Old IU, Chimes of Indiana, and Sing, Sing, Sing......all sounded really good. There just aren't enough of them, and they have no idea how to march in straight lines. But back to the point....it's a great MB song....why not play it pre-game rather than the last song of the evening when 100 people are there? And instead of Wipeout, which has nothing to do with Indiana? So frustrating....
You won't see marching bands in a straight line much anymore. They don't teach the old 8 to 5 marching. it's all about running to your spot and then playing. I grew up with the old method and it drives me crazy when I see lines that aren't straight. Some of the bands do - Wisconsin and O$U are good at it. But they're a straight brass band (I think - I know Wisconsin is).

I agree - Wipeout sucks. But I just cringe and bear it. I just don't like the awkward silence between that and when the team comes out. MTIOTF often mentions this and it's one of my pet peeves. I thought maybe after the surveys came out, things would improve, but I guess not.

Man the delivery idea is amazing....but I would imagine the amount of people needed to handle 35,000 beer requests would be crazy.... I do think something could be done if desired..... I also agree with the railing issue. I can’t believe they haven’t been installed already
Can you imagine the tips if food and drink were delivered? I bet you'd could find a lot of workers for that.

Or do like MLB and have the 'beer man' come up and down the aisles. I talked to a guy in Spring Training who comes down from Boston just to work Spring Training and he hauls in about $400 a game in tips alone.

Can you imagine the tips if food and drink were delivered? I bet you'd could find a lot of workers for that.

Or do like MLB and have the 'beer man' come up and down the aisles. I talked to a guy in Spring Training who comes down from Boston just to work Spring Training and he hauls in about $400 a game in tips alone.
I think a beer man would be perfect. I always thought hotdogs and popcorn should be able to be ordered in the stands.... they should do this. It is easy and inexpensive and could ultimately keep people in their seats

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
Someone is doing something right because recruiting is going pretty well. I played high school football in Indiana and in Florida. I have coached high school football in Florida. I can tell you one thing I would rather continue to get 3 stars out of Dade, Broward and Hillsborough county than I would 4 stars out of some other places. These kids have played week on and week out against some of best in the country.

Someone is doing something right because recruiting is going pretty well. I played high school football in Indiana and in Florida. I have coached high school football in Florida. I can tell you one thing I would rather continue to get 3 stars out of Dade, Broward and Hillsborough county than I would 4 stars out of some other places. These kids have played week on and week out against some of best in the country.
You know, I keep hearing that and we've recruited a lot of 3 star recruits from Florida over the years.

If they're they equivalent of 4 stars elsewhere, we should be winning by now.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd like to see some evidence of why you think that.

Interesting question.

It's one I ask myself about half the time after a home game. You have to give the program props for the north and south end zone additions. I like the USS Indiana stuff out front. The field looks good. I like the grass tailgating lot with trees. I like being on campus before and after games. The unis look pretty good. I like it when we've had exceptionally good players to watch....Joe Norman, Gunn, AT, Ernie Jones, Dumas, ARE, K. Lewis, T. Porter, Scales. Right now, there's no one like that to watch. I am hopeful about Penix.

I have been honest and told that I have only seen IU games on tv. I live in Florida and up until last year coached high school football here so obviously playing games on Friday nights and film and weights on Saturday make it impossible to get to games at Memorial Stadium. When given the chance I have been to Canes games at the Orange Bowl or Hardtock stadium or have made the 4 hour trip to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. We have have consistently been a one or two round minimum playoff team which means we play through Thanksgiving. Obviously IU season is over then too. If I had an open weekend I usually ended up in Ft Wayne or now Olivet Michigan watching my older brother coach in college. My younger brother went to Penn State game last year so that is all I have to go on. When I found out that tickets were $ 75 I agreed that is ridiculous. I also have commended what appears to be about 25- 30 thousand that seem to show up no matter what. But what I have questioned is when I read on here people that are supposed fans and live within driving distance and do nothing but make excuse for not going. Blame coaches, blame admin, blame players for them not going to games. Again at 75 bucks a ticket valid reason for not going. I would not go often at that price. As far as out of conference schedule that you continue to harp on I am not sure if you have ever coached before if you have not I can tell you it is tough to get kids to get up every week. To add more games to what is already a super challenging schedule especially for a team that is just now starting to put together depth is not prudent. Hell look how unfortunate we were to lose Coy Cronk this weekend and had to play without Mike Penix. So just imagine playing a more physical team and getting beaten up before even starting to play the conference schedule. So it might be disappointing bro you and to others it is what is best for the team. Like I also said I am going to Gainesville this weekend to watch them play Towson. How god a game you think it will be? But just being in Gainesville on a Fall Saturday and being in the stadium where it will probably be about a100 degrees is where it is at and I lived within four hours of Bloomington that that is where I would be,

The only thing that has changed that I am aware of is the muting of the massive student melee and that was going no where good. The rest of the tailgate scene has gotten even better with the paving and landscaping of the Purple lots, the grass field in Purple and of course the donor lots are the same. The negative I see is the reduction in spots due to new facilities which pushes some folks across the streets.

IU fans are fortunate that the majority of tailgates are right on site and people can walk to several if they wish. Most venues has lots of remote spots and it kills the atmosphere.

The only thing that has changed that I am aware of is the muting of the massive student melee and that was going no where good. The rest of the tailgate scene has gotten even better with the paving and landscaping of the Purple lots, the grass field in Purple and of course the donor lots are the same. The negative I see is the reduction in spots due to new facilities which pushes some folks across the streets.

IU fans are fortunate that the majority of tailgates are right on site and people can walk to several if they wish. Most venues has lots of remote spots and it kills the atmosphere.
IU would hate Gainesville because the only ones who park close to the stadium is Bull Gators.

We’re still close to the bottom of the Big Ten in recruiting. Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Northwestern, etc are all out recruiting us. I guess we’re beating Illinois and Rutgers for 12th. This level of recruiting will not get the job done. No way, no how.

We’re still close to the bottom of the Big Ten in recruiting. Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Northwestern, etc are all out recruiting us. I guess we’re beating Illinois and Rutgers for 12th. This level of recruiting will not get the job done. No way, no how.
Again re read the post I don’t care about getting a bunch 4stars from the Midwest give me guys from Dade and Nroward county. Also name another school that got the offensive and defensive players of the year like we did 2 years ago. I will also take a balanced class like last years.

I think a beer man would be perfect. I always thought hotdogs and popcorn should be able to be ordered in the stands.... they should do this. It is easy and inexpensive and could ultimately keep people in their seats
I like to sit in aisle seats and I do not think I want vendors. But I am only able to attend 1 or 2 games a year so my opinion probably doesn't mean squat. The reason I don't want them is because the constant walking up and down the aisle by vendors blocks the view of people seated nearby and if your on the aisle then you have to be the guy who passes everybody's stuff down to them. I go to TinCaps games here in Fort Wayne in the summer and always buy an aisle seat because I've got a bad knee and I need to be able to stretch out my leg. Can't sit in the middle of the row for more than an inning or two so I opt for the aisle so I don't have always ask people to get up for me. Anyway, I think its a big pain in teh butt to have to hand a beer or two down the aisle, then handle the guy's money, then send back any change he may be due. I don't want to be the middle man for your beer transaction. While all of that is happening the beer guy is blocking my view of the game. I say if you want a beer go and get it. How is that for a grumpy old man's first post in a few months? Haha!

I like to sit in aisle seats and I do not think I want vendors. But I am only able to attend 1 or 2 games a year so my opinion probably doesn't mean squat. The reason I don't want them is because the constant walking up and down the aisle by vendors blocks the view of people seated nearby and if your on the aisle then you have to be the guy who passes everybody's stuff down to them. I go to TinCaps games here in Fort Wayne in the summer and always buy an aisle seat because I've got a bad knee and I need to be able to stretch out my leg. Can't sit in the middle of the row for more than an inning or two so I opt for the aisle so I don't have always ask people to get up for me. Anyway, I think its a big pain in teh butt to have to hand a beer or two down the aisle, then handle the guy's money, then send back any change he may be due. I don't want to be the middle man for your beer transaction. While all of that is happening the beer guy is blocking my view of the game. I say if you want a beer go and get it. How is that for a grumpy old man's first post in a few months? Haha!

Not grumpy just informed!

One thing that I saw while sitting in our seats mid row that was irritating was constantly getting up to let people “shuffle” out of the stands to get food or use the bathroom. Bleacher seats don’t provide much room for egress but then again it’s half a dozen of one and six of the other.... I do get your point

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Yeah, you can tell you don't go to many games.

There are people constantly walking up and down the stairs. I'd rather see one beer guy than wait while 10 people leave at once and block the entire view.

Gee, sorry you'd have to actually pass money and a beer......:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT