ADVERTISEMENT

Another mass shooting (probably several)

You could do that. Parts aren't stamped with anything other than maybe make, model, and caliber.

The receiver for a rifle or frame for a handgun is the only part that is serialized. They wouldn't hold up long but probably wouldn't have to.

I would be interested to see if most printed guns are single shot or semi auto. A rifle would be pretty easy to do but semi auto handguns don't assemble as easily.
Often times criminals are, well, stupid and that helps us catch them. Eliminating permitting just eliminates a potential mistake.

The topic is MASS HOMICIDE. Generally, defined as 4 or more victims. Not one of your assortment of stories of crimes with swords and hammers were mass homicides. Replacing every AR15 with a sword would be great!
An average of 1700 people a year are murdered with a knife or sharp object.

About 340 a year by all rifles. Not just AR15s.

So 4 or more people getting murderd at once is worse than the same number 1 at a time? OK.

The point is the object gun control advocates want to ban wouldn't put a dent in total homicides. Why is so much time, money, and energy spent on something that won't have any tangible results? Wouldn't it be better used elsewhere?

Often times criminals are, well, stupid and that helps us catch them. Eliminating permitting just eliminates a potential mistake.
The only issues I would have with a permit process is if they are may issue. That means you can be eligible but still denied.

Other than that I don't care. If you want to avoid reciprocity issues you'd need one anyway. I wonder how many permitless people will get Utah permits to carry in other states now.

I’m arguing we take a lighter lense on our predecessors.

They did a lot.

They did a lot, but they aren't gods.

This usually ties back to the Constitution. We hold it today as perfect, handed down from the golds on Olympus. I doubt the guys who signed it thought for a second it was close to perfect. It was a compromise on virtually every point. As a compromise, no one was particularly happy. It was just the best they could do.

We are and at the time the bill of rights was written regulated meant well trained. So maybe go the route of South Korea and give everyone 2 years mandatory service in the military or some other required government service when we turn 18.
Switzerland does that and people take their military weapons home.

The military instilled discipline and responsibility in young men for generations. It's time to bring back required military service for everyone - no draft. Everyone. 6+ months active duty training for most and then a reserve component.

Reactions: 76-1
What does stop and frisk do. Aren't all Americans legally allowed to carry? In Indiana, no permit is required any longer. So you find an 18-year old Black in downtown Indy with a gun, what can you do?
It can do a lot for under-18 criminals, which are becoming more and more prevalent.

Reactions: Cthulhu85

The military instilled discipline and responsibility in young men for generations. It's time to bring back required military service for everyone - no draft. Everyone. 6+ months active duty training for most and then a reserve component.
This is something in the past I would have never supported. But the mental and physical health of our youth almost requires it. Use the time to expose them to alternatives to college with a potential career path if they enlist afterward. Maybe use them to work on infrastructure and environmental projects.

Like Trump?
(I know, I know...TDS.)

Switzerland has a military? Who knew?

Reactions: DANC

So 4 or more people getting murderd at once is worse than the same number 1 at a time? OK.

The point is the object gun control advocates want to ban wouldn't put a dent in total homicides. Why is so much time, money, and energy spent on something that won't have any tangible results? Wouldn't it be better used elsewhere?

And how many of those sharp object murders are one off vs mass or even multiple?

I’m not a proponent of outright gun bans but this is a flawed argument. The destruction caused by knives, machetes and even ninja swords is not even in the same universe of deadliness, particularly if you consider the school incidents. The tranny would never have killed as many with a blunt object.

Why would we let illegals own guns in this country?

Why would we let them in to begin with? Have you been critical of the Obama through Biden border issues?

We need serious immigration reform but this incidents just gives Conservatives ammo to prevent immigration more broadly, which we desperately need in terms of macroeconomics and standard of living.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
And how many of those sharp object murders are one off vs mass or even multiple?

I’m not a proponent of outright gun bans but this is a flawed argument. The destruction caused by knives, machetes and even ninja swords is not even in the same universe of deadliness, particularly if you consider the school incidents. The tranny would never have killed as many with a blunt object.
For one people think mass killings are exclusive to the US.

China doesnt have private gun ownership so this happens

The US recently had the Idaho student murders.

If people are motivated to kill, they will use whatever tool is available on soft targets until someone stops them.

For one people think mass killings are exclusive to the US.

China doesnt have private gun ownership so this happens

The US recently had the Idaho student murders.

If people are motivated to kill, they will use whatever tool is available on soft targets until someone stops them.
But we don't want to make it easy, hence why buying machine guns and RPGs are much harder to buy legally.

Just wanted to stop in and remind folks that permitless carry (AKA constitutional carry) doesn't mean that anyone and everyone can buy, possess, or carry a firearm. The laws prohibiting who can legally do any of those are still in place.

But we don't want to make it easy, hence why buying machine guns and RPGs are much harder to buy legally.
Thats understandable. But there wasn't a federal age requirement on single action or semi-auto handguns and rifles until the GCA 1968 was passed. Before then anyone with the money could get a gun where ever they were sold, even mail order. Yet these mass murders very rarely happened. AR15's were designed in 1956 and originally sold to civilians and police starting around 1959. They werent adopted by the military until 1964 and originally were survival weapons for the air force. The tools haven't changed much and they used to be even more accessible. Less secure storage back then too. So what changed?

Just implementing more gun control isn't targeting the core issue. Even I'm open to ideas but not if it is the only solution proposed.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Thats understandable. But there wasn't a federal age requirement on single action or semi-auto handguns and rifles until the GCA 1968 was passed. Before then anyone with the money could get a gun where ever they were sold, even mail order. Yet these mass murders very rarely happened. AR15's were designed in 1956 and originally sold to civilians and police starting around 1959. They werent adopted by the military until 1964 and originally were survival weapons for the air force. The tools haven't changed much and they used to be even more accessible. Less secure storage back then too. So what changed?

Just implementing more gun control isn't targeting the core issue. Even I'm open to ideas but not if it is the only solution proposed.

Part of the problem is they have become cool to use for certain crimes. These people who commit these acts like to copy one another, they study the preceding events. It might evolve on its own, but right now it is their go to.

I wonder, if it became cool car bomb using F150s, would we ban them from the roads?

Reactions: Cthulhu85

Because those that you are discussing this with, all have driven for years with they left turn signal on. They only agree to turn a specific direction. It's the simple and repeated playbook.
Get the feelz about something
think of a dozen things that won't fix their feelz, but will distract those they are figthing against
While they are distracted, remove more of their rights
With each right removed, that section of the public is more beholden to spend their life following a left turn signal...
Their plan is for that line of followers to be so long that all traffic comes to a complete halt.

I also will warn you, Marv is much more knowledgeable about this then he lets on. Every one of his questions is very sharply pointed. With bad intentions.

Because those that you are discussing this with, all have driven for years with they left turn signal on. They only agree to turn a specific direction. It's the simple and repeated playbook.
Get the feelz about something
think of a dozen things that won't fix their feelz, but will distract those they are figthing against
While they are distracted, remove more of their rights
With each right removed, that section of the public is more beholden to spend their life following a left turn signal...
Their plan is for that line of followers to be so long that all traffic comes to a complete halt.

I also will warn you, Marv is much more knowledgeable about this then he lets on. Every one of his questions is very sharply pointed. With bad intentions.
Well, left turns are easier. Just look at NASCAR.

I'm up to the challenge. I'm no slouch in my knowledge of the subject.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Well lets look at this, he was an illegal alien so how does your whole gun control theory fit in with that ? Maybe we should start first with the illegal part.

I hope you prayed really , really hard and put a big wad in the offering plate . You are the ultimate weak thinker but hey call people a holes and go to church so you feel all warm and cuddly about yourself today . Meanwhile the POS you voted for is ruining this country.
I don't suffer fools gladly. I realize that's something I need to work on, but people like you make it really difficult.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Well, left turns are easier. Just look at NASCAR.

I'm up to the challenge. I'm no slouch in my knowledge of the subject.
Joe is crazy if he thinks I am playing 4D chess with anyone. I am not one of our lawyers trained in asking pointed questions. Heck, I flunked out of college. I love reading military history, and play games based on military history. I am thoroughly mundane at them, not bad, not good. I totally suck at traditional chess, let alone 3D or 4D. My guess is anyone here who plays chess would easily crush me.

I wish I were Columbo, I am far closer to Chief Inspector Clouseau.

For example, I have no doubt you know far more about guns. Other than paint, laser, or cap, I have not fired a gun. I doubt what I learned from laser tag is very transferable.

Joe is crazy if he thinks I am playing 4D chess with anyone. I am not one of our lawyers trained in asking pointed questions. Heck, I flunked out of college. I love reading military history, and play games based on military history. I am thoroughly mundane at them, not bad, not good. I totally suck at traditional chess, let alone 3D or 4D. My guess is anyone here who plays chess would easily crush me.

For example, I have no doubt you know far more about guns. Other than paint, laser, or cap, I have not fired a gun. I doubt what I learned from laser tag is very transferable.
Humility isn’t allowed on this board

I love reading military history too. Im trying to expand and learn more about the Korean War but there really aren't many books. After I finish what im on now im going to order The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam. A lot of my interest in guns comes from growing up hunting and shooting but also from history. I own an M1 Garand and thinking of getting a Pennsylvania long rifle kit like the sharpshooters used in the revolutionary war.

Im teaching my wife to play RISK right now.

I love reading military history too. Im trying to expand and learn more about the Korean War but there really aren't many books. After I finish what im on now im going to order The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam. A lot of my interest in guns comes from growing up hunting and shooting but also from history. I own an M1 Garand and thinking of getting a Pennsylvania long rifle kit like the sharpshooters used in the revolutionary war.

Coldest Winter is great, you will love it. Another one if you have not read it, This Kind of War. It is old, but absolutely brilliant. I believe the war college still teaches it. Korea is a severely under appreciated war. I love MASH, but it is sad that is all people know about Korea and it was really about Vietnam.

Reactions: 76-1 and Cthulhu85
Coldest Winter is great, you will love it. Another one if you have not read it, This Kind of War. It is old, but absolutely brilliant. I believe the war college still teaches it. Korea is a severely under appreciated war. I love MASH, but it is sad that is all people know about Korea and it was really about Vietnam.
I'm reading This Kind of War right now. Lots of detail.

My dad was in Korea Dec. 1951 - Feb. 1953.

Another Korean War book, East of Chosin. The Marines get a lot of honor, and they deserve it, for Chosin. But the furthest point when the Chinese attacked was an army regimental combat team. They called the Marines for help, the Marines of course were barely hanging on and could not. So the army had to try and fight their way back to the marine position.

They probably don't get much fame because it did not go well. But that shouldn't detract from their efforts. The fact any of them survived is a miracle.

Hoosier Don C Faith took over command and was a real hero. I know part of I-69 down by Evansville is named for him.

Another Korean War book, East of Chosin. The Marines get a lot of honor, and they deserve it, for Chosin. But the furthest point when the Chinese attacked was an army regimental combat team. They called the Marines for help, the Marines of course were barely hanging on and could not. So the army had to try and fight their way back to the marine position.

They probably don't get much fame because it did not go well. But that shouldn't detract from their efforts. The fact any of them survived is a miracle.

Hoosier Don C Faith took over command and was a real hero. I know part of I-69 down by Evansville is named for him.
Don C Faith is from Washington. My hometown. He was with the 82nd during WW2 also.

Extreme Long Range shooting is a hobby that can engage one's intellect and hone powers of observation.
Snipers and 'sharpshooter' elements have long been a component of militaries everywhere. An older bolt-action .308 can be tuned up and accessorized to shoot accurately out to 800-1000 yards. 6.5 Creedmore. .338 Lapua Magnum and .50 BMP Platforms are available
Can be fun and challenging.

My dad's unit - not sure he had arrived in Korea yet - got a Presidential Citation for relieving some Marine units around Chosin. Dad never had much good to say about Marines. lol That's typical military rivalry.

Dad said the toughest units were the Turks - they like to fight with knives. No one - not even the North Koreans - wanted to mess with them.

Dad was a generator mechanic and was at Panmunjom for the peace talks. He had several funny stories about that time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT