ADVERTISEMENT

Texas shooting: Five dead and 21 injured after 'white male' opens fire in Midland and Odessa

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
texas-shooting.jpg

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...idland-odessa-police-white-male-a9087151.html

Five people have been killed and another 21 injured in a mass shooting in west Texas, police have said. Officers said their earlier fears that two shooters were at large had proven unfounded, with the attacker having used two vehicles.

The shooter who opened fire in Midland and Odessa was a white male in his 30s, the Odessa Police Department said.

Asked if the suspect had been identified, the spokesman said: “He is a white male in his 30s. I don’t have a positive identification on him yet – I have an idea who he is but I won’t release that information until we’re absolutely positive.”

There have been more mass shootings across the US in 2019 then there have been days in the year so far – with at least 279 incidents taking place across 244 days according to data compiled by non-profit group the Gun Violence Archive.

Sad to say but the oblivious thing we use to identify a person as a suspect is by skin color and gender.

Once this is done, we jump to motives based upon our biases.

Thus "white male" conjures up thoughts based on our biases. Thoughts which can be way off base.

Sad to say but the oblivious thing we use to identify a person as a suspect is by skin color and gender.

Once this is done, we jump to motives based upon our biases.

Thus "white male" conjures up thoughts based on our biases. Thoughts which can be way off base.
My only thought is no surprise it’s another white gig with a gun. In other word, not a terrorist from another country, or we’d move hell on earth to protect ourself. But likely a homegrown terrorist, so we do nothing but send thoughts and prayers.

A 17 month old baby shot in the face. But second amendment, ya’ll.

Watched the Texas governor conduct a press conference which I found rather self serving. Self serving in that it really didn't offer much information about the shooting, but lots of info about past shootings in Texas along with all the legislation passed to deal with previous Texas shootings. Legislation which obviously didn't prevent the latest shooting.

At the conclusion ordinary folks in the crowd of otherwise news reporters gave the governor applause as if they were at a political rally. I couldn't help but suspect the applause was from political plants invited to what should have been a solemn occasion.

It was weird. Is it now commonplace for elected officials to turn all speaking opportunities into a political event ?

And today, nine new Texas laws went into effect that undermined what few restrictions on gun use and carry were in place.

And today, nine new Texas laws went into effect that undermined what few restrictions on gun use and carry were in place.

Makes sense to me.

You make it so easy to get a weapon in the future that even potential mass shooters are worried about being shot. The new MADD approach.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You didn't have to tell us the "white male" part. It was obvious and expected.

Where were all of the good guys with a gun in Odessa and Midland?

What's extremely likely is that one of those "good guys with a gun" actually sold this clown his weapon at a gun show or some other online transaction where IN TEXAS, NO Background check is required. This guy lived in a shack and had no address that the local cops could utilize to find him when they wanted to question him about his attempt to illegally purchase a firearm previously.

The question for me is what if whoever sold him his weapon had actually checked into his situation, and based on his failure to pass an actual background check and reports from numerous folks that he was dangerous and terrorized others, then would that potential seller have cancelled the transaction? Makes you wonder...

My only thought is no surprise it’s another white gig with a gun. In other word, not a terrorist from another country, or we’d move hell on earth to protect ourself. But likely a homegrown terrorist, so we do nothing but send thoughts and prayers.
Weird no mention of the mass shooting in Alabama (maybe Georgia? can't recall) at a high school football game.

But, the guy was black and he had a handgun. Typical silence from the libs...

Weird no mention of the mass shooting in Alabama (maybe Georgia? can't recall) at a high school football game.

Yes, he used a handgun. 9 people wounded, 0 killed (as of this writing). That is absolutely terrible, the only thing worse would be if that killed number were higher. If the shooter were using an AR, do you think there is a decent chance that number would be higher?

What if someone said, "I wasn't surprised it was a black" in a different scenario? Would that be racist?

Reactions: SNU0821
Yes, he used a handgun. 9 people wounded, 0 killed (as of this writing). That is absolutely terrible, the only thing worse would be if that killed number were higher. If the shooter were using an AR, do you think there is a decent chance that number would be higher?
Tough to say for certain, but not out of the question.

What if someone said, "I wasn't surprised it was a black" in a different scenario? Would that be racist?
I feel so bad for the struggle of the white man.

Prominently covered by the New York Times and by NPR. Typical silence from Fox.

That would indeed be racist, but much more than that, it would be incredibly stupid and ungrounded in reality.

White men USA mass shooters, however, is the norm, even more so than white men corn hole players. Add in some religion, some hatred for non-whites, some gun worship, and some distrust of the government. There's your profile.

Then cue the news reporter interviewing the neighbor down the street, who says "You know, he was always a loner. My sons says he was weird in high school too. And lately he kept spouting these crazy ideas taken from his idiotic pastor, some guy from Indiana"

That would indeed be racist, but much more than that, it would be incredibly stupid and ungrounded in reality.

White men USA mass shooters, however, is the norm, even more so than white men corn hole players. Add in some religion, some hatred for non-whites, some gun worship, and some distrust of the government. There's your profile.

Then cue the news reporter interviewing the neighbor down the street, who says "You know, he was always a loner. My sons says he was weird in high school too. And lately he kept spouting these crazy ideas taken from his idiotic pastor, some guy from Indiana"
I don't think it's some white person epidemic behind mass shooters. Appears to me that people eof all races, genders and religions carry out these tragic events.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think it's some white person epidemic behind mass shooters. Appears to me that people eof all races, genders and religions carry out these tragic events.

maxresdefault.jpg

That photo covers something other than what the FBI refers to. It covers multiple shootings, yes. But the FBI Active Shooter, "We identified 160 events that fit our criteria—individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in populated areas (excluding shootings related to gang or drug violence)."

But the problem is still more balanced than is discussed, from Snopes:

By this definition, the Gun Violence Archive showed there were six such alleged incidents between Jan. 1 and Aug. 5, 2019:
    • Aug. 4: Nine people shot dead in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Police fatally shot white, male suspect Connor Stephen Betts.
    • Aug. 3: 22 people shot dead at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. White, male suspect Patrick Crusius arrested and detained.
    • July 28: Three people shot dead at a festival in Gilroy, California. Suspect Santigo William Legan shot himself dead. Male suspect’s race and ethnicity are unclear, but he described himself as being of Iranian and Italian heritage. (Police originally claimed to have shot Legan to death, but the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office confirmed to Snopes that Legan had died by an intraoral gunshot wound, and that the manner of his death was suicide).
    • May 31: 12 people shot dead at a municipal building in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Police shot dead the African American, male suspect, DeWayne Craddock.
    • Feb. 15: Five people shot dead at the Henry Pratt manufacturing plant in Aurora, Illinois. Police shot dead the African American, male suspect, Gary Martin.
    • Jan. 23: Five people shot dead at a bank in Sebring, Florida. Police arrested the white, male suspect Zephen Xaver.
All six suspects were men, three were white, two were African-American, and the precise racial and ethnic identity of the sixth suspect was not clear.
As near as I can tell, there is no doubt this type of violence is a male problem. Why are we men so crazy?

Reactions: outside shooter
I don't think it's some white person epidemic behind mass shooters. Appears to me that people of all races, genders and religions carry out these tragic events.
As Marvin correctly put it, you've moved the goal posts to cover any shooting where 4 or more people were killed, and that would include drug deals gone bad, domestic shootings, gang violence, etc.

An active shooter in a public place is a very relevant definition. That is not limited to white males, but they are very well-represented.

Also relevant is active shooter situations motivated by hate and extremism.

The anti-defamation league reported in January 2019 that 73.3% of all extremist-related fatalities can be linked to domestic, male, white, right-wing extremists.

https://www.adl.org/murder-and-extremism-2018

As Marvin correctly put it, you've moved the goal posts to cover any shooting where 4 or more people were killed, and that would include drug deals gone bad, domestic shootings, gang violence, etc.

An active shooter in a public place is a very relevant definition. That is not limited to white males, but they are very well-represented.

The anti-defamation league reported in January 2019 that 73.3% of all extremist-related fatalities can be linked to domestic, male, white, right-wing extremists.

Why do the motivations of the shooter matter in fighting the gun/ mass shooting epidemic?

Access to guns is the problem according to you people.

Why do the motivations of the shooter matter in fighting the gun/ mass shooting epidemic?

Access to guns is the problem according to you people.

And? I haven’t seen a single person here advocate for an exception to the gun control measures proposed that would allow non-white folks to get around them. Stopping this type of violence is important too and is also not helped by the ridiculously easy access to weapons of war you fight so hard to preserve.

That photo covers something other than what the FBI refers to. It covers multiple shootings, yes. But the FBI Active Shooter, "We identified 160 events that fit our criteria—individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in populated areas (excluding shootings related to gang or drug violence)."

By this definition, the Gun Violence Archive showed there were six such alleged incidents between Jan. 1 and Aug. 5, 2019:
    • Aug. 4: Nine people shot dead in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Police fatally shot white, male suspect Connor Stephen Betts.
    • Aug. 3: 22 people shot dead at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. White, male suspect Patrick Crusius arrested and detained.
    • July 28: Three people shot dead at a festival in Gilroy, California. Suspect Santigo William Legan shot himself dead. Male suspect’s race and ethnicity are unclear, but he described himself as being of Iranian and Italian heritage. (Police originally claimed to have shot Legan to death, but the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office confirmed to Snopes that Legan had died by an intraoral gunshot wound, and that the manner of his death was suicide).
    • May 31: 12 people shot dead at a municipal building in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Police shot dead the African American, male suspect, DeWayne Craddock.
    • Feb. 15: Five people shot dead at the Henry Pratt manufacturing plant in Aurora, Illinois. Police shot dead the African American, male suspect, Gary Martin.
    • Jan. 23: Five people shot dead at a bank in Sebring, Florida. Police arrested the white, male suspect Zephen Xaver.
All six suspects were men, three were white, two were African-American, and the precise racial and ethnic identity of the sixth suspect was not clear.
As near as I can tell, there is no doubt this type of violence is a male problem. Why are we men so crazy?
Speak for yourself! ;)

Weird because the MSM uses those numbers when they try and report the number of "mass shootings" in the US compared to other countries. It's weird because it's almost like you're changing the definition to fit your own narrative when it's convenient. Or it's not weird at all and pretty typical....

Free testosterone. The world doesn't go round without it . . . and sometimes the world stops because of it.

Helluva dilemma, ain't it?

What's extremely likely is that one of those "good guys with a gun" actually sold this clown his weapon at a gun show or some other online transaction where IN TEXAS, NO Background check is required. This guy lived in a shack and had no address that the local cops could utilize to find him when they wanted to question him about his attempt to illegally purchase a firearm previously.

The question for me is what if whoever sold him his weapon had actually checked into his situation, and based on his failure to pass an actual background check and reports from numerous folks that he was dangerous and terrorized others, then would that potential seller have cancelled the transaction? Makes you wonder...
Do we know how he purchased the gun?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT