ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot wrong with this scenario...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Even if you're a major 2nd Amendment advocate, this "accidental shooting" in Mississippi should really upset you. A 9 yr old accidentally shot and killed a 14 yr old after pointing a gun at her...

But the real devil is in the details. The gun belonged to an 18 yr old friend of (apparently) one of the guests or residents who lived there. It's not really clear at this point if these were friends or siblings in a blended family. There were kids of various ages playing video games and someone described as a "friend of one of the older children" brought his handgun along. I mean cause that's what you do when you go to someone else's house to visit, you bring a handgun...:rolleyes:

So apparently the 18 yr old owner of the gun got the brilliant idea to hide it under one of the kid's beds, and the 9 yr old found it. Of course it was loaded, because why would an 18 yr old take his gun to his buddy's house unloaded? The stepdad of the victim, who might have been expected to provide adult supervision (and likely didn't know about the gun) was outside working on a car and said he heard a loud "Pop." At first I thought the 9yr old and 14 yr old victim were siblings, but the story doesn't make that clear. No doubt the 18 yr old's parents considered him a responsible gun owner. Just a really tragic story that a little common sense might have prevented...

today's update

Even if you're a major 2nd Amendment advocate, this "accidental shooting" in Mississippi should really upset you. A 9 yr old accidentally shot and killed a 14 yr old after pointing a gun at her...

But the real devil is in the details. The gun belonged to an 18 yr old friend of (apparently) one of the guests or residents who lived there. It's not really clear at this point if these were friends or siblings in a blended family. There were kids of various ages playing video games and someone described as a "friend of one of the older children" brought his handgun along. I mean cause that's what you do when you go to someone else's house to visit, you bring a handgun...:rolleyes:

So apparently the 18 yr old owner of the gun got the brilliant idea to hide it under one of the kid's beds, and the 9 yr old found it. Of course it was loaded, because why would an 18 yr old take his gun to his buddy's house unloaded? The stepdad of the victim, who might have been expected to provide adult supervision (and likely didn't know about the gun) was outside working on a car and said he heard a loud "Pop." At first I thought the 9yr old and 14 yr old victim were siblings, but the story doesn't make that clear. No doubt the 18 yr old's parents considered him a responsible gun owner. Just a really tragic story that a little common sense might have prevented...

today's update
Sad. There is a lot wrong here, but I don’t think the second amendment is very high on the list of wrong things.

Sad. There is a lot wrong here, but I don’t think the second amendment is very high on the list of wrong things.
This is a bit of a strawman, since I never voiced opposition to the 2nd Amendment in general. Maybe my use of "advocate" was confusing, because I was discussing extremists. People who go beyond just the right to own a gun, to advocate for elements like uniform concealed carry and unrestricted ownership without registration or tests, background checks etc...There are thousands of actual gun owners who support reasonable regulation...

Clearly some people should not own guns, because the lack of common sense poses a threat to others and results in situations like this. Who takes a loaded handgun to a house full of kids, and then instead of keeping it holstered or otherwise on his person tries to "hide" it somewhere that is so obvious a 9 yr old can find it? Why in the world would you not at least unload it? Should people that lacking in any common sense really be allowed to own/carry a gun without passing at least a basic firearms training/test? Some people would say yes- that's who I have a problem with...

This is a bit of a strawman, since I never voiced opposition to the 2nd Amendment in general. Maybe my use of "advocate" was confusing, because I was discussing extremists. People who go beyond just the right to own a gun, to advocate for elements like uniform concealed carry and unrestricted ownership without registration or tests, background checks etc...There are thousands of actual gun owners who support reasonable regulation...

Clearly some people should not own guns, because the lack of common sense poses a threat to others and results in situations like this. Who takes a loaded handgun to a house full of kids, and then instead of keeping it holstered or otherwise on his person tries to "hide" it somewhere that is so obvious a 9 yr old can find it? Why in the world would you not at least unload it? Should people that lacking in any common sense really be allowed to own/carry a gun without passing at least a basic firearms training/test? Some people would say yes- that's who I have a problem with...
Nothing in the story has anything to do with what I’ve bolded so I’m not sure what you’re actually advocating for.

Also, saying that the 2nd amendment is to broadly applied and not subject to enough regulation is having a problem with the 2nd amendment.

I’m not sure why you took issue with COH’s post.

Nothing in the story has anything to do with what I’ve bolded so I’m not sure what you’re actually advocating for.

Also, saying that the 2nd amendment is to broadly applied and not subject to enough regulation is having a problem with the 2nd amendment.

I’m not sure why you took issue with COH’s post.
Again the opening sentence of my OP stated my belief that even if you advocated in favor of the bolded, that I believed you should still be upset over events like the story detailed. I wasn't aware I was saying anything "controversial", but (IMHO) CoH replied as if I had condemned the 2nd Amendment. I do think events like what happened here might make some folks want to reevaluate their position on certain issues. I was basically attempting to foster a dialogue, since many gunowners disagree with issues like open carry...

I assume from your posting history that you are in favor of regulations applied to the right to vote? Am I correct in assuming you favor certain rights over others? Some people here act as if voter ID is some traditional aspect of suffrage, but the reality is it is purely a 21st century concept...

Again the opening sentence of my OP stated my belief that even if you advocated in favor of the bolded, that I believed you should still be upset over events like the story detailed. I wasn't aware I was saying anything "controversial", but (IMHO) CoH replied as if I had condemned the 2nd Amendment. I do think events like what happened here might make some folks want to reevaluate their position on certain issues. I was basically attempting to foster a dialogue, since many gunowners disagree with issues like open carry...

I assume from your posting history that you are in favor of regulations applied to the right to vote? Am I correct in assuming you favor certain rights over others? Some people here act as if voter ID is some traditional aspect of suffrage, but the reality is it is purely a 21st century concept...
You had to prove you were a property owning (white) person to vote from the get go. That was a defacto ID.

Next.

Reactions: Spartans9312

An accident involving a careless 18 year old kid doesn’t make me feel like reevaluating anything.

The only bad part here, aside from the tragedy, is you trying to shoehorn it in to some ill conceived attempt to score political points on an issue that you want addressed anyway.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
An accident involving a careless 18 year old kid doesn’t make me feel like reevaluating anything.

The only bad part here, aside from the tragedy, is you trying to shoehorn it in to some ill conceived attempt to score political points on an issue that you want addressed anyway.
Some idiots are negligent with firearms: More News at 11.

In our society, a negligent idiot get themselves and/ or someone else killed every hour of the day and for all manner of reasons.

Perhaps the most transparent attempt to hide partisan BS behind “I just care about people” I’ve ever seen.

Do better Cos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT