ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust

I guess you missed where I said criminal charges must wait for the investigation. My comments so far are based on undisputed facts. I have no clue about the “real crime” you mentioned. I think in your haste to always criticize me you have lost your marbles, or maybe you are spending too much time in Mark’s trailer park. That needs further investigation.
We know Baldwin pulled the trigger. Where the gun was pointed was his responsibility.
And that's really the only undisputed fact so far.

Read Floor's posts and Brad Steven's on this subject. They have been much more on point, and don't read like someone who's ready to throw the book because of Baldwin's Trump portrayal.

And your posts read like someone who is finally succumbing to the oxygen deprivation from your altitude.

Well, your last point is what I've been questioning from the beginning: why is Hollywood using guns that can shoot deadly projectiles at all? In the past I know they've used rubber or wooden ones.

But the actors are not the experts on this subject. It sounds like a job for the armorer as to what can and can't be used and the safety protocols surrounding it. Other than political animus, I don't get why people want to blame Baldwin right now. Of course, if this was some second-rate actor, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Baldwin had the last clear chance to avoid the killing. That is a burden he will carry to his grave. I feel sorry for him. Others don’t. Politics might affect sympathy, but it doesn’t change what happened.

Reactions: billyhillui
Some blanks look like the photo you linked where the brass cartridge is crimped to almost a point. Other blanks are just a brass cartridge that's barely crimped, flat faced with cork, cotton, rubber or some other material to keep the powder in.

mvc-016s.jpg_thumbnail0229.jpg

20210328063426-4523.jpg
GE50-9MM_1024x1024.jpg

I wonder if a newbie armorer who had reservations about being ready to take that step would know the difference between those types of blank rounds and say wadcutter rounds, which look fairly similar?

wadcutter.jpg
Right. No bullets are seated in the blanks in your pics, whether crimped to a point, slightly crimped over a non metallic wad or not crimped at all.

Wadcutters have an obvious bullet that's seated flush or just above flush. The wadcutter is in the middle of this pic and there's very obviously a bullet visible to anyone who has any sort of training in recognizing them. You can see how easy it is to identify a wadcutter, since you can actually see the bullet.
D651SXF.jpg

Someone who is supposed to be declaring whether a gun is hot or cold would know the difference. Someone with 5 minutes of instruction would know also.

Imagine if you were an IU football fan and a NY Jets football fan.
Pile 54-7 on top of 54-13. You're be ready to cap the whole damn world.

Thank goodness I only had an interest in one of those teams that got buried. I can't imagine the level of suck that goes with being a Jets fan.

So a set like this could have one armorist whose sole responsibility is to ensure the safety of the gun and be the person who hands the gun to the actor? One person; one job?

They should if this is a small cast and not a lot of guns. If there are big gunfights (not the best formula on a low budget movie), then there should be a whole armory department who do the same.

They should if this is a small cast and not a lot of guns. If there are big gunfights (not the best formula on a low budget movie), then there should be a whole armory department who do the same.
It doesn't sound that complicated; which is to say there should never be a mistake....

They have been much more on point, and don't read like someone who's ready to throw the book because of Baldwin's Trump portrayal.
That’s a pathetic post. I have said a few times in this thread that criminal charges against Baldwin are unlikely and they at least need further investigation. I did say he pulled the trigger and killed a colleague and a that would devastate any normal human being. Yet you bring up Trump? If you can’t keep up with my comments, then I suggest you join a kids group. This isn’t hard.

Right. No bullets are seated in the blanks in your pics, whether crimped to a point, slightly crimped over a non metallic wad or not crimped at all.

Wadcutters have an obvious bullet that's seated flush or just above flush. The wadcutter is in the middle of this pic and there's very obviously a bullet visible to anyone who has any sort of training in recognizing them. You can see how easy it is to identify a wadcutter, since you can actually see the bullet.
D651SXF.jpg

Someone who is supposed to be declaring whether a gun is hot or cold would know the difference. Someone with 5 minutes of instruction would know also.

Thank goodness I only had an interest in one of those teams that got buried. I can't imagine the level of suck that goes with being a Jets fan.

I agree and would think that the armorer, prop master or others would be able to discern the difference but I bring it up because it wouldn't be the first time this has happened...

That’s a pathetic post. I have said a few times in this thread that criminal charges against Baldwin are unlikely and they at least need further investigation. I did say he pulled the trigger and killed a colleague and a that would devastate any normal human being. Yet you bring up Trump? If you can’t keep up with my comments, then I suggest you join a kids group. This isn’t hard.
So, where's your post arguing with Brad, who said pretty much the same thing? Or Floor, who is much more on point on this topic?
Yet, for some reason you decided to "disagree" with me, and then actually bitched that I am always too hasty to criticize you. :rolleyes:
You really aren't that hard to read.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
It doesn't sound that complicated; which is to say there should never be a mistake....
If I'm pulling that trigger, I don't care what anyone else ever tells me about that gun being loaded or unloaded, I'M CHECKING FOR MYSELF, BEFORE I EVEN AIM THAT GUN AT SOMEONE/SOMETHING, LET ALONE PULL THE TRIGGER.

And if THAT same gun/firearm changes hands/IS OUT OF MY PERSONAL POSESSION, EVER, I WILL CHECK AGAIN, when I reclaim posession of that gun, to check it's loading status.

But truthfully, because I’m a cynic by nature and my football team took a 54-7 ass whipping Saturday, I thinks there is a good chance that bullet was put there intentionally. Either a dumbass thought it would be cute and that nothing bad would happen, or a mad employee who wanted to “show those bastards” or someone at the ammo factory or ammo store.
My money is on a few ammosexuals not being able to resist playing around with the gun, shooting cans or some such, then putting it back without triple checking whether or not there were any rounds still in it.

If I'm pulling that trigger, I don't care what anyone else ever tells me about that gun being loaded or unloaded, I'M CHECKING FOR MYSELF, BEFORE I EVEN AIM THAT GUN AT SOMEONE/SOMETHING, LET ALONE PULL THE TRIGGER.

And if THAT same gun/firearm changes hands/IS OUT OF MY PERSONAL POSESSION, EVER, I WILL CHECK AGAIN, when I reclaim posession of that gun, to check it's loading status.
What if then, once you check it, you are not allowed to use it at all, since you are a non-expert and therefore you could have tampered with it?

actors are not automatically capable gun experts

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I'm still trying to understand why there were any live rounds in the fvcking zip code. All I could come up with is gunasses.
Somebody said the production staff was using that gun to plink around in the desert. If true, the armorist, or whoever was in charge of the gun, might be looking at a negligent homicide beef.

Somebody said the production staff was using that gun to plink around in the desert. If true, the armorist, or whoever was in charge of the gun, might be looking at a negligent homicide beef.

Then it sounds like my first guess was right:

My money is on a few ammosexuals not being able to resist playing around with the gun, shooting cans or some such, then putting it back without triple checking whether or not there were any rounds still in it.

Baldwin had the last clear chance to avoid the killing. That is a burden he will carry to his grave. I feel sorry for him. Others don’t. Politics might affect sympathy, but it doesn’t change what happened.
Yes, if someone hands you a live hand grenade ( & you know little about hand grenades, especially live ones, like Baldwin & guns) & tells you it's inert/harmless, if you have any sense, common or otherwise, you say no thank you, I don't know enough about grenades (firearms in Baldwin's case) to hold that thing. Baldwin is culpable, legally & otherwise.

Obviously Baldwin DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT FIREARMS to know you NEVER point a gun at something & pull the trigger, unless you intend to shoot that person/thing. Baldwin screwed up, & now he'll have to pay the price, legally & otherwise.

Common Sense

Justice Served

Then the armorist or whatever it's called would check it before giving it to Alec right?
YES, but the ultimate responsibility always lies with the individual holding, pointing & SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER of that gun. Looks like Baldwin wasn't the only one who screwed up that fatal day, but the vast amount of blame, responsibility & carelessness goes with the shooter/Baldwin. I feel sorry for all involved in this tragic accident, but someone now has to learn some very painful lessons, in more ways than one.

My family ancestors (including my dad, & his dad, ect., ect... have been hunting for hundreds of years. My dad taught my brother & I to respect & know any gun you handle by the age of 7 yrs. old. By 10, I was hunting, but the first thing about firearm safety he taught us was to NEVER bring a loaded gun into a house, & never load a firearm in a house, & never let a firearm be loaded or possessed in a home you control. Nobody in my family ever had any firearms accidents. Baldwin was extremely careless, & it cost a woman her life. Sad, but someone must now pay some kind of price/punishment for this tragic event.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Yes, if someone hands you a live hand grenade ( & you know little about hand grenades, especially live ones, like Baldwin & guns) & tells you it's inert/harmless, if you have any sense, common or otherwise, you say no thank you, I don't know enough about grenades (firearms in Baldwin's case) to hold that thing. Baldwin is culpable, legally & otherwise.

Obviously Baldwin DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT FIREARMS to know you NEVER point a gun at something & pull the trigger, unless you intend to shoot that person/thing. Baldwin screwed up, & now he'll have to pay the price, legally & otherwise.

Common Sense

Justice Served
So in every movie ever anywhere none of the guns you see fired are pointed at anybody?

John Wayne never aimed his gun at the other actors?

They got through Saving Private Ryan without aiming at each other?

Really?

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust, authorities say

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins airlifted to hospital, where she died, while director Joel Souza also injured
You NEVER take someone else's word if a firearm you are about to hold, is loaded or not, especially, if you are going to point that firearm in the general direction of something you don't wish to shoot, then pull the trigger.

You ALWAYS check the loading status of any firearm you plan to pull the trigger on, FIRST, before you pull that trigger.

Sucks to be Baldwin now (as I feel sorry for him), but better to be him than the innocent woman he killed.

There is a reason (most) modern firearms have trigger guards.

Reactions: sglowrider
So in every movie ever anywhere none of the guns you see fired are pointed at anybody?

John Wayne never aimed his gun at the other actors?

They got through Saving Private Ryan without aiming at each other?

Really?
Just as there are different types of firearms used on set, there are different types of blanks used, on set & off. Some blank cartridges fire no projectile, which will kill you. Some blanks fire a wad, & some are more dangerous than others.

On that set, gun safety wise, they/several individuals, including/mostly Baldwin screwed up in several ways.

On set or off, you never point a gun which fires projectiles in the general direction of someone/something you don't intend on shooting.

The vast majority of firearms used on set, are loaded with blanks which fire no projectile at all.

That lady was killed with a live round bullet.

Well, your last point is what I've been questioning from the beginning: why is Hollywood using guns that can shoot deadly projectiles at all? In the past I know they've used rubber or wooden ones.

But the actors are not the experts on this subject. It sounds like a job for the armorer as to what can and can't be used and the safety protocols surrounding it. Other than political animus, I don't get why people want to blame Baldwin right now. Of course, if this was some second-rate actor, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Wouldn’t Baldwin have had to empty the blanks from the gun entirely to see if they were really blanks, and then reload all of them into the gun? And that’s assuming he could tell the difference between blanks and live rounds?

Wouldn’t Baldwin have had to empty the blanks from the gun entirely to see if they were really blanks, and then reload all of them into the gun? And that’s assuming he could tell the difference between blanks and live rounds?
That can be hard to do. Just as there are different kinds of prop guns, there are also different kinds of prop blanks & prop BULLETS.

Looks like his gun was a revolver, & he SHOULD have opened the cylinder & unloaded all shells before practicing his quick draw. Shouldn't have taken more than a minute (if you know where the cylinder release is, about 10 seconds at most).

It did little good having a 'gun safety expert' on that set, unfortunately.

Last edited:
That can be hard to do. Just as there are different kinds of prop guns, there are also different kinds of prop blanks & prop BULLETS.

Looks like his gun was a revolver, & he SHOULD have opened the cylinder & unloaded all shells before practicing his quick draw. Shouldn't have taken more than a minute (if you know where the cylinder release is, about 10 seconds at most).

It did little good having a 'gun safety expert' on that set, unfortunately.
Amazing how much people seem to know about what happened on the set - starting with Baldwin supposedly practicing his quick draw.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
So in an escape point … critical thinking world … I don’t claim any specific expertise.
1. The barrel should have been pointed in a safe place, before the trigger was pulled.
2. Alec should have double checked the gun for live ammo. (And insisted the armorer train him how beforehand)
3. The person(s) handing the gun to Alec and calling it cold should have personally double checked the ammo and barrel.
4. The Armorer should have double checked the gun immediately before allowing it to be used on the set.
5. Any persons using the gun for Target practice, should have unloaded it in the presence of the armorer.
6. The armorer’s on set “lock box“ should have no live (ball) ammo, and remain locked until the gun is needed on the set.
7. The camera placement for the shot should have been reviewed, considering potential projectile paths.
8. A firearms safety orientation should have been provided.
9. The cause(s) of prior unexpected discharges should been investigated and remediated before the additional use of firearms on the set.
10. A replica prop gun instead of a real gun should have been used for the shot.
11. The armorer’s credentials and qualifications must meet customary standards.
12. A firearms use safety plan should have been defined for the project.

Last edited:
  • Love
Amazing how much people seem to know about what happened on the set - starting with Baldwin supposedly practicing his quick draw.
Him practicing his quick draw on set, I read two different accounts of. Google it & see/read for yourself. The later account/story I read on it, said he was (seated?) in a church pew practicing it, when the fatal shot was fired.

Most unfortunate, indeed

So in an escape point … critical thinking world … I don’t claim any specific expertise.
1. The barrel should have been pointed in a safe place, before the trigger was pulled.
2. Alec should have double checked the gun for live ammo. (And insisted the armorer train him how beforehand)
3. The person(s) handing the gun to Alec and calling it cold should have personally double checked the ammo and barrel.
4. The Armorer should have double checked the gun immediately before allowing it to be used on the set.
5. Any persons using the gun for Target practice, should have unloaded it in the presence of the armorer.
6. The armorer’s on set “lock box“ should have no live (ball) ammo, and remain locked until the gun is needed on the set.
7. The camera placement for the shot should have been reviewed, considering potential projectile paths.
9. The cause(s) of prior unexpected discharges should been investigated and remediated before the additional use of firearms on the set.
10. A replica prop gun instead of a real gun should have been used for the shot.
..., & that beautiful, young(er) blond would still be alive & well today.

People can/will put varying amounts of blame for her tragic death on others involved in the safety process/chain of safety protocols that day, but ultimately, the vast majority of blame & responsibility lies with the individual holding that gun, pointing that gun (in an unsafe direction), & pulling the trigger of that gun, which was pointed in an unsafe direction, & NOT PERSONALLY CHECKING/CONFIRMING THE ACTUAL LOADING STATUS OF THAT GUN.

By the different accounts of past unsafe firearm acts occurring with this group, I'm somewhat surprised something like this didn't happen sooner & more often with them.

Wrong.

You guys act like this was a hunting trip.

IT WAS A MOVIE SET.

They have a person - maybe a TEAM - in charge of firearms - and LOTS of rules about handling guns ON A MOVIE SET - precisely so you DONT have to rely on some fool actor or actress to tell if a round is a blank or a live round.

You think Baldwin could tell a blank from a live round just by looking at it? Not unless it was painted orange.

The problem wasn’t Baldwin mistakenly pointing and firing a live round. The problem was that there were live rounds anywhere near that set.

I bet we will learn that EITHER (1) some employee at the ammo factory or ammo store stuck a live round in the wrong package, (and they will investigate if it was intentional or an accident), or (2) movie folks sat around a fire in the New Mexico desert drinking and drugging and shooting and howling at the moon, and just forgot to keep the real bullets separate from the fakes.

But NOBODY is gonna depend on some Hollywood bimbette or bimbob from a casting couch to decide if or when to shoot a gun on a movie set.
"They have a person - maybe a TEAM ..." --- "... and LOTS of rules about handling guns ON A MOVIE SET -"

"You think Baldwin could tell ..."

Are you kidding me? What good did all those "rules" do that day??? That's why (on set or practicing your quick draw with your friend's pistol, in the woods), you ALWAYS check to see if THAT GUN is loaded BEFORE you even think of pulling the trigger/quick drawing.

You & Bob Knight should hunt together, practice your quick draw together & play with things you have no respect for or knowledge about. It would do wonders for undertakers & coroners.

By the way, next time someone hands you what you THINK is a dummy/inert/harmless hand grenade prop, & tells you to practice your quick throw, you play till the sun goes down with it.

Nobody but Baldwin FAILED to check THAT gun THE LAST TIME, before HE pointed it in an unsafe direction, & PERSONALLY PULLED THAT TRIGGER, WITH LIVE BULLETS IN THAT CHAMBER.

Remind us to never be around you when firearms, sharp objects or poisons are involved.

"I didn't know it was loaded/DANGEROUS!" WOW????? You know squat about common sense, & even less about firearms safety. Good luck practicing YOUR quick draw, after your neighbor hands you a gun & says it's safe/cold/unloaded. Yikes!

"But the set, gun safety specialist said IT WAS UNLOADED!!!!!"

Tell that to the prosecutor, & her family.

Sincerely

Dick Cheney

Last edited:
According to one of our WC attorneys, it’s not important to have all the facts.
Please. You're lost in the Midwest on this topic. COH lives on the frontier, where there are cowboys and outlaws and the Old West gun culture still dominates. He has plenty of facts to combine with his frontier experience to know what happened.

You're reading novels on a Kindle. You don't relate. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Please. You're lost in the Midwest on this topic. COH lives on the frontier, where there are cowboys and outlaws and the Old West gun culture still dominates. He has plenty of facts to combine with his frontier experience to know what happened.

You're reading novels on a Kindle. You don't relate. I'm sorry.
But, it’s an old model!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

A lot of good points, TE. A lot of those are common set protocol.

1. From what I understand, one of the big breaches here is that the DP and director were at the camera when they should have been at video village if a gun was being handled.

2. That's not been my experience of how most sets with guns function for many of the reasons noted previously in this thread.

3&4. This really should be one person who directly inspects and delivers a weapon to talent, whether it is meant to be loaded for a shot or unloaded for rehearsal.

5. This shouldn't ever occur because target practice is irrelevant for a film shoot. All firearms on set are supposed to be locked up and isolated, particularly in between uses on the same set/film. I'd have to imagine doing what has been suggested was done here would be a breach of the production company's firearms rider.

6. 100%. That's standard protocol for most sets I've seen.

7. Ditto.

8. Ditto.

9. Ditto.

10. For myriad creative, technical, and budget reasons, that's not how it's been done. I could see that changing.

11. 100%. That's been my experience.

12. Ditto.

It's a tragic thing where it sounds like at least 1 person didn't do their job and some protocols weren't followed to the standards I'm familiar with. Nothing but love and prayers sent to the family of the cinematographer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT