ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed woman on film set of Rust

To this, I would add that someone should have been in charge of keeping the non-actors from wandering down range in the direction the director planned that Baldwin should fire (blanks or live).
My understanding is that the role you describe is part of a movie crew when there are firearms involved.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I have no idea yet, but some have told the media that crewmen had taken the gun out for target practice.

In most instances, there is no difference in the guns that shoot live, bullet loaded rounds, & blank rounds. Usually, only the round in the gun is different here, & the gun being the same. Probably the case in this incident as well. In short, (usually) the gun is the same, but it can fire blanks or bullet loaded rounds.

We'll find out more later this week.

To this, I would add that someone should have been in charge of keeping the non-actors from wandering down range in the direction the director planned that Baldwin should fire (blanks or live).
I believe Baldwin was the director in this as well. So I read.

I have no idea yet, but some have told the media that crewmen had taken the gun out for target practice.

Wow, just read that link (thanks). If that was a live, bullet loaded, round Alec fired, he is in a HEAP of trouble, in several ways, no matter if her family sues him in a civil suit or not.

I did read that round/projectile that hit her in the chest, & killed her, I didn't read about any blood involved. If there was blood involved, it most likely was a real bullet he fired, & killed her with.

Thanks again for the link

Not good

There will be multiple places where “rules” about who checks, clears, handles the gun will come from.

insurance policies

industry standards

union contracts

contracts between production companies and studios and companies and companies that employ actors and with the actors themselve)

New Mexico statutes (if they have enough movie making/theatre in-state to have generated them, or have added them to “standard” gun statutes.

somebody had the duty and authority to make sure the gun was safe

whoever left a live round in it will probably fave criminal charges

everybody else will get sued - and the workers’ comp and other liability issues will get sorted out. - and there will be some dismissals and some settlements.

there are now reports of union disputes over where they had to stay, what times they had to report for work, and even the hiring of some non-union replacements and a walk out.

God is in the details.

So, real quick, and I'm asking this totally non politically even though it won't feel like it, but how is this different than the Dick Cheney shooting? Other than the person shot in this instance died. Again, I use Dick Cheney b/c it's one where someone was shot entirely accidentally but suffered injuries b/c of the malpractice of another. I don't believe Cheney was ever criminally charged in that case.

State laws probably matter, etc. But if we're expecting Baldwin to be charged, quite frankly why wouldn't Cheney have experienced similar action?

Reactions: ulrey
There will be multiple places where “rules” about who checks, clears, handles the gun will come from.

insurance policies

industry standards

union contracts

contracts between production companies and studios and companies and companies that employ actors and with the actors themselve)

New Mexico statutes (if they have enough movie making/theatre in-state to have generated them, or have added them to “standard” gun statutes.

everybody else will get sued - and the workers’ comp and other liability issues will get sorted out. - and there will be some dismissals and some settlements.

there are now reports of union disputes over where they had to stay, what times they had to report for work, and even the hiring of some non-union replacements and a walk out.

God is in the details.
Having said that, legally, if Baldwin fired the shot that killed her, & it was a bullet, he obviously didn't check to see/make sure the gun wasn't loaded, or was loaded with a 'non lethal' load. He is still in a hell of a lot of trouble, legally, criminally, & with regard to the civil suits that come his way. Accident or not, he is still culpable for her death.

It's starting to sound like a live bullet was in that gun, & Baldwin not only pointed that gun at her (without checking to make sure the gun was totally unloaded), but to compound his mistakes/troubles, he pulled the trigger, while it was pointed at her.

Either way, he is in a heap of trouble. Her parents are very upset with her death, & want answers, now.

insurance policies

industry standards

union contracts

God is in the details.
..., & reports of 'unsafe working conditions on set', by cast & crew members.

Her family is now in the driver's seat. They could bankrupt Alec, if they chose to.

Btw, you can't blame anyone but Baldwin for not checking the safety/loading status of that gun, because it was Baldwin who pointed it at her, then pulled the trigger, WITHOUT F-I-R-S-T checking to see/make SURE it was totally unloaded.

Bottom line here, BALDWIN pointed the gun at her, then pulled the trigger, without any outside help or sane reason.

Either way, he is in a lot of trouble, & should be.

Interesting read.

Paints it as the assistant director being responsible for the accident and notes that he was involved on the set of The Crow, where Brandon Lee was fatally shot by a prop gun that contained an actual live round.

Yes, ignorant people don't realize they can be killed by a blank cartridge or even a Pepperball or beanbag "less lethal" round.
When I was a young one, I was working the region steel mills and one of the guys that did work roll rebuilds was standing near a roll where the bearing was being extracted from a used roller by an overhead crane. There was a collar bolt on the floor and when the bearing was freed it landed on the bolt in such a way that it projected the bolt into his rib/ sternum. It pierced his heart or another conduit. He died. Projectiles near that area are very dangerous.

insurance policies

industry standards

union contracts

God is in the details.

Solid analysis, MTIOF. Person with the duty and authority to make sure the gun is safe is the armorist and that really is their only duty.

I believe Baldwin was the director in this as well. So I read.
Joel Souza is the director. I believe that Baldwin is an EP on it. I would be shocked if he had much of anything to do with on-set operations. That's really the line producer's to oversee as much as anyone.

Btw, you can't blame anyone but Baldwin for not checking the safety/loading status of that gun, because it was Baldwin who pointed it at her, then pulled the trigger, WITHOUT F-I-R-S-T checking to see/make SURE it was totally unloaded.
My understanding is that an actor is not supposed to check the chamber of a set weapon. My understanding of the reasoning there is that it could cause problems with what the armorist has packed. An assistant director sometimes deliver weapons and the details of the exchange there is likely a key point in this. The armorist or the AD is supposed to deliver a weapon that is safe to use in the manner it is intended to be used. And actors are not supposed to do anything other than what they are instructed to do.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Joel Souza is the director. I believe that Baldwin is an EP on it. I would be shocked if he had much of anything to do with on-set operations. That's really the line producer's to oversee as much as anyone.

My understanding is that an actor is not supposed to check the chamber of a set weapon. My understanding of the reasoning there is that it could cause problems with what the armorist has packed. An assistant director sometimes deliver weapons and the details of the exchange there is likely a key point in this. The armorist or the AD is supposed to deliver a weapon that is safe to use in the manner it is intended to be used. And actors are not supposed to do anything other than what they are instructed to do.
My understanding and observation is that anyone that would put their life in the hands of Alec Baldwin is probably going to be disappointed. First point of safety….what can go wrong will go wrong. Check check and double check.

My understanding and observation is that anyone that would put their life in the hands of Alec Baldwin is probably going to be disappointed. First point of safety….what can go wrong will go wrong. Check check and double check.
Thanks for those insights, Earl.

Let me try to dumb it down for you.

This was a movie set. They use props in movies, including guns, for authenticity and actors do raise, aim and fire weapons once the gun has been cleared by the armorer. And there are dozens of people on a movie set so there's danger to both cast and crew, regardless of aim, if the armorer screws up (like in this instance, where the gun had a live round) or there's otherwise a breach in safety protocol.

The armorer in this instance made the weapon available for the scene, the assistant director shouted "cold gun" and handed it to the actor for the scene, and the tragedy followed.

You have no idea what he was aiming at because that fact hasn't yet been publicly disclosed. The scene may have called for him to point the gun in the direction of the camera, which could explain why the cinematographer and director were hit, but that's pure speculation at this point.

You won't back down from your "Baldwin's a killer" nonsense because he's parodied a guy who you worship. With the possible exception of Lucy, you are the most disingenuous and ignorant poster on the board.
Baldwin is a murderer and should be sitting in jail.
All this meaningless gabble is a waste of time.
Only morons point a loaded gun at people unless shooting them is the purpose.

And ALL weapons are loaded, until cleared.

Baldwin's 'progressive' hateful ignorance has earned him just what he deserves.

Baldwin is a murderer and should be sitting in jail.
All this meaningless gabble is a waste of time.
Only morons point a loaded gun at people unless shooting them is the purpose.

And ALL weapons are loaded, until cleared.

Baldwin's 'progressive' hateful ignorance has earned him just what he deserves.
It was a real gun with real bullets! Not a prop.

I would dispute this.

Blanks generally contains much less propellant than live rounds of the same caliber.
True, but I read yesterday they often want the noise so keep the same amount.

Why they don't add sound in post production surprises me.

True, but I read yesterday they often want the noise so keep the same amount.

Why they don't add sound in post production surprises me.
I suspect much like anything else, cost. Probably cheaper to just have the sound captured at the time the action is captured.

Gunpowder is cheap.

I suspect much like anything else, cost. Probably cheaper to just have the sound captured at the time the action is captured.

Gunpowder is cheap.
So he was practicing drawing into the camera. The film shot was to be with the camera directly in front of him drawing and shooting.

I read that when this type of film shot is done, plexiglass is put before crew. I do not know if it was there, but I am not sure it would stop a 44.

So he was practicing drawing into the camera. The film shot was to be with the camera directly in front of him drawing and shooting.

I read that when this type of film shot is done, plexiglass is put before crew. I do not know if it was there, but I am not sure it would stop a 44.
Probably not. I bet it's a safety precaution designed only for a possible fragment or something that could be ejected with a blank.

Like I've said, I suspect a whole lot of changes and soul searching are coming. I also bet there are a ton of other safety violations which are going to come to light as well. Maybe @hoosboot can comment on how regulated the movie making industry is there days. You hear about accidents and such but I don't really pay much attention.

Like I've said, I suspect a whole lot of changes and soul searching are coming. I also bet there are a ton of other safety violations which are going to come to light as well. Maybe @hoosboot can comment on how regulated the movie making industry is there days. You hear about accidents and such but I don't really pay much attention.
Somebody suggested that everyone who handles a real gun in a movie production be required to take the NRA kids gun safety course. Not a bad idea. If Baldwin followed those simple rules, Hutchins would be alive today. Baldwin is not totally at fault, but he had the last clear chance to ensure her safety.

Reactions: larsIU
Somebody suggested that everyone who handles a real gun in a movie production be required to take the NRA kids gun safety course. Not a bad idea. If Baldwin followed those simple rules, Hutchins would be alive today. Baldwin is not totally at fault, but he had the last clear chance to ensure her safety.
Feel horrible for the guy. He has to be destroyed over this thing

I was reading an article by a Hollywood Armorer. He said he prepares the guns and no one else is allowed to touch them until he hands them to the actor(s). He puts in exactly the number of blanks required The second the scene is wrapped he takes them back. Any breaks he takes them back. If he sees anything amiss, he yells cut and stops the scene. He spoke of a movie where an actor was to fall of his horse and come up shooting. He noticed dirt go into the barrel and yelled cut before the actor could continue as a dirt clod or small rock could be a real problem. He said he stores the guns in a safe when not needed.

It sounds this set was much more lax. I don't know how much expertise actors need to have. If the blanks are crimped, as they most certainly will be, how easy is it for an actor to look and note a blank over a real round? The armorer has to be certified, which I suspect requires even more training.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
I read this morning that having the actor check the gun violates protocol and causes the whole process to start again. I'll try to find it and link it. I was dumbfounded when I read that though.

I was reading an article by a Hollywood Armorer. He said he prepares the guns and no one else is allowed to touch them until he hands them to the actor(s). He puts in exactly the number of blanks required The second the scene is wrapped he takes them back. Any breaks he takes them back. If he sees anything amiss, he yells cut and stops the scene. He spoke of a movie where an actor was to fall of his horse and come up shooting. He noticed dirt go into the barrel and yelled cut before the actor could continue as a dirt clod or small rock could be a real problem. He said he stores the guns in a safe when not needed.

It sounds this set was much more lax. I don't know how much expertise actors need to have. If the blanks are crimped, as they most certainly will be, how easy is it for an actor to look and note a blank over a real round? The armorer has to be certified, which I suspect requires even more training.
So, is the actor at all responsible for checking the gun before the scene?

The actor is responsible for knowing where the gun is pointed when fired. This wasn’t an accidental discharge, it was a negligent discharge.
Do we know all the facts yet? Marvin said Baldwin was in a shot where he was to shoot at the camera. I'm not saying that is true either, because I'm not sure they have released all the details. If you have some insider info that you are privy to and can share, have at it. If what Marvin says is the case, he knew exactly where it was pointed.
Again, I'm not a gun expert, or a legal expert, or a gun law expert, but I think we are all on the same level of knowledge of the details of this situation. We are all equally ignorant.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
658e40b32264af34e3b37d18156aa0be--cartoon-cats-spiral-notebooks.jpg

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT