ADVERTISEMENT

A Huge Chunk of the U.S. Could See Blackouts This Summer

Used to go super early, like 5am. Was a guy there that looked just like Tony Shaloub and all he did was a stairmaster type thing where he literally stood in place climbing stairs. For 45 mins. Sweating like a mule, back hair everywhere. Always in a wife be*ter and basketball shorts. Reading the paper.

Calves like softballs.
Well taking that back to the original point of this thread. Maybe he should get a machine like that at home that generates power and he can charge his car that way.

Reactions: larsIU
Used to go super early, like 5am. Was a guy there that looked just like Tony Shaloub and all he did was a stairmaster type thing where he literally stood in place climbing stairs. For 45 mins. Sweating like a mule, back hair everywhere. Always in a wife be*ter and basketball shorts. Reading the paper.

Calves like softballs.
Alright then sir. I’ll give you a tour.

No. No. I know what weights look like. What I don’t know is how your members look. Do you have a membership photo book or something I could peruse. And not just headshots. Obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: Cortez88 and larsIU
Lots of studies have been done.

-Electric car charging is less of a power drain than a clothes dryer,
-90% of charging is done at home, and
-almost all of that is routinely done from 8PM-6AM, well after peak HVAC usage and times where there is a brownout risk.

Adding electric car charging to the grid is far less of an issue than some pretend it to be.
Do have any backup that what you’re saying is true? Or just more blabbering like an idiot!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Not sure what would justify the fine, but as with all good Democrats we’ll find a reason.

You, OTOH, despite your good work on getting Mgbako, just un-did everything and are accumulating fines exponentially.

And don’t kid about an EMP attack. We’ve had this discussion before.
Send me a bill . . .

. . . what's this about me kidding? Shirley, you jest . . . .

Reactions: NPT

-almost all of that is routinely done from 8PM-6AM, well after peak HVAC usage and times where there is a brownout risk.

Adding electric car charging to the grid is far less of an issue than some pretend it to be.
Not true.

A level 2 Charger pulls about 7;000 watts
A clothes dryer pulls about 4,000- depending on the setting.
A level 1 charger pulls about 1, 700.

But a clothes dryer runs for 30 or 40 minutes. A car charger will run for 10 hours at level 1 and a couple hours at level 2.

Last edited:
Not true.

A level 2 Charger pulse about 7;000 watts

But a clothes dryer runs for 30 or 40 minutes. A car charger will run for 10 hours at level 1 and a couple hours at level 2.
How does that affect the HVAC systems?

Reactions: Circlejoe
Mutually assured destruction.
I've wondered the same thing. You would think that they would be trying to secure the grid.

That's what you'd like but it not true. If I remember correctly it was last year the CA was asking people not to charge their cars at a certain time..... after saying that fossil fuel cars could no longer be sold after2035(??).

Not true.

A level 2 Charger pulse about 7;000 watts

As usual he has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. He thinks Electricity is magic with no clue of watts , amps and volts.

Not true.

A level 2 Charger pulls about 7;000 watts

Besides those stats it really doesn't matter what they pull because if you plug in several million cars on a grid that's already running at about full capacity something is gonna blow.

Besides those stats it really doesn't matter what they pull because if you plug in several million cars on a grid that's already running at about full capacity something is gonna blow.

That has been a known weakness, people are encouraged to charge after 8PM when other demands are less.

The problem isn't overall capacity, it is that capacity is exceedingly high at 3PM and exceedingly low at 3AM. Having chargers that will start up and turn off at set times will go a long way to helping.

main.svg

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
That has been a known weakness, people are encouraged to charge after 8PM when other demands are less.

The problem isn't overall capacity, it is that capacity is exceedingly high at 3PM and exceedingly low at 3AM. Having chargers that will start up and turn off at set times will go a long way to helping.

main.svg
Yeah I can just see them telling us that we can't charge our car at certain times and it doesn't matter whether you need to use your car an hour from now. Of course I'd be willing to go along with a set time when I could but I don't want them telling me that I can't charge it if I really need it. I know there are restrictions in some areas where you can only water your lawn certain days of the week.

We could lower demand just by reducing waste. People leave lights on and other stuff on because they think it makes no difference but when millions do it there is a lot of waste. In my opinion they have the rates backwards. It should get more expensive as you use more. If you hit people in the pocketbook it may change their behavior.

Yeah I can just see them telling us that we can't charge our car at certain times and it doesn't matter whether you need to use your car an hour from now. Of course I'd be willing to go along with a set time when I could but I don't want them telling me that I can't charge it if I really need it. I know there are restrictions in some areas where you can only water your lawn certain days of the week.

We could lower demand just by reducing waste. People leave lights on and other stuff on because they think it makes no difference but when millions do it there is a lot of waste. In my opinion they have the rates backwards. It should get more expensive as you use more. If you hit people in the pocketbook it may change their behavior.
Would a higher price deter you?

Lots of - if not most - companies have gone to dynamic pricing.

Watering a lawn especially if paying for the water is a waste to begin with and for sure not a neccesity. The first thing I'd like to see done if people really care about green is restricting lawn care. Huge waste . I have 2 neighbors that mow 2-3 times a week .

Can you imagine when you look at grocery stores and a winter storm that usually fizzles is coming through and now half a state is all madly charging their cars and trucks at the same time ?

One day, they will mandate that the cars software will not allow accepting a charge between certain hours. Also that they can remote in and turn it off (they already can do this). If they can jam this shit down our throats then can damn sure make us their slaves (even more so).

One day, they will mandate that the cars software will not allow accepting a charge between certain hours. Also that they can remote in and turn it off (they already can do this). If they can jam this shit down our throats then can damn sure make us their slaves (even more so).
Does that mean we will be able to get reparations?

Do have any backup that what you’re saying is true? Or just more blabbering like an idiot!
It’s common sense that charging batteries and powering an HVAC are two very different power requirements. Plus, it’s also common sense that most electric car owners would charge their batteries during off peak power usage hours.

Sorry that science isn’t your thing. 😉

It’s common sense that charging batteries and powering an HVAC are two very different power requirements. Plus, it’s also common sense that most electric car owners would charge their batteries during off peak power usage hours.

Sorry that science isn’t your thing. 😉
Care to explain your theories? Watts, amps and Volts don't have feelings about what the draw on them is. granted AC kicks off and on and has a higher initial draw than running steady.

LOL at the common sense about most electric car users charging at off peak. Look at largest group of the people using them at the moment .

No grid is running at full capacity at midnight or 4AM, when you set your home car charger to come on automatically to be topped off well before your morning commute.

No matter what time of day you charge the car it still requires using fossil fuels to generate the electricity to charge the car.
Depends on where you live.

Even in anti-woke Florida, our grid in 2023 is powered by roughly

75% natural gas
12% solar (up from 3% 5 years ago)
12% nuclear
<1% everything else, including oil

We could and should do better. We get enough sun in most of Florida 12 months a tear to flip-flop the natural gas and solar numbers, if it were made a priority

I agree with Co.H. (yeah, stunning) about the efficiency and carbon greenness of nuclear and the missed opportunities of shallow thinking about nuclear safety.

Last edited:
No matter what time of day you charge the car it still requires using fossil fuels to generate the electricity to charge the car.
Not true, they could use those fvcking panels. There was was HT front page article years ago, about Charlett Zitlow I believe, who was the MAJOR start of turning Bloomington into San Fransisco, but I digress.
She was promoting her new EV and panels to charge it as saving the planet. She published the prices and the electic cost savings ROI, was like 4 1/2 times the life cycle of the car, at the time. She was proud of being STOOPID. She died alone, in an apartment across from Janko's, smelling that seared beef everyday.
Hell got another occupant that has a D star on their chest.

Depends on where you live.

Even in anti-woke Florida, our grid in 2023 is powered by roughly

75% natural gas
12% solar (up from 3% 5 years ago)
12% nuclear
<1% everything else, including oil

We could and should do better. We get enough sun in most of Florida 12 months a tear to flip-flop the natural gas and solar numbers, if it were made a priority

I agree with Co.H. (yeah, stunning) about the efficiency and carbon greenness of nuclear and the missed opportunities of shallow thinking about nuclear safety.
It would take roughly 1,000,000 acres of solar panels to do that.

Not true, they could use those fvcking panels. There was was HT front page article years ago, about Charlett Zitlow I believe, who was the MAJOR start of turning Bloomington into San Fransisco, but I digress.
She was promoting her new EV and panels to charge it as saving the planet. She published the prices and the electic cost savings ROI, was like 4 1/2 times the life cycle of the car, at the time. She was proud of being STOOPID. She died alone, in an apartment across from Janko's, smelling that seared beef everyday.
Hell got another occupant that has a D star on their chest.
You sure it was Jankos beef she was smelling?

There are no solutions. Only trade offs. Clean energy initiatives will hurt the poor and middle class more significantly than those pushing the agenda.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It would take roughly 1,000,000 acres of solar panels to do that.
Bullshit. I had the estimate done on my house last month. I use a lot of energy with a huge pool (3x normal size) and 2 very old HVAC systems. ~40 solar panels on the south and west facing rooftop on the backside of my house only would generate as much energy as I use. Unfortunately, it would cost more than a new Tesla to install them and a new roof at once, and take >15 years to pay for itself, so I'm not doing it. I don't yet need a new roof either, but it's 15 years old and that's why I had it evaluated. But solar tech is getting better and the competition will lower the costs per KW.

Bullshit. I had the estimate done on my house last month. I use a lot of energy with a huge pool (3x normal size) and 2 very old HVAC systems. ~40 solar panels on the south and west facing rooftop on the backside of my house only would generate as much energy as I use. Unfortunately, it would cost more than a new Tesla to install them and a new roof at once, and take >15 years to pay for itself, so I'm not doing it. I don't yet need a new roof either, but it's 15 years old and that's why I had it evaluated. But solar tech is getting better and the competition will lower the costs per KW.
So you claim to care, but when it is your money it is a different story ? Makes sense. Why don't you get your AC fixed? Why should I buy a new electric car that will cost me way more to do the same thing as the diesel one I have now does?

Thats for your house. You mentioned replacing natural gas with solar. It takes roughly 3 acres per GWh.

What about all the houses, commercial buidlings, universities, schools, gas stations, supermarkets, apartment buidlings, streetlights, industrial facilities, and all the other things that require electricity.

According to the census bureau there were 10,257,426 housing units in 2022 and 616,961 employment establishments in 2021 in Florida.

Last edited:
So you claim to care, but when it is your money it is a different story ? Makes sense. Why don't you get your AC fixed? Why should I buy a new electric car that will cost me way more to do the same thing as the diesel one I have now does?
They care, they just want government to pay for it. People can't afford this shit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT