ADVERTISEMENT

We Need To Shut It Down - Lead the Charge Out of NIL/Portal Procollege Football

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
The rush to the portal has begun. In the next month, there will be thousands of kids hit the portal to see who will offer them the biggest bag of cash. Many of them will lose their spot at their current school, and get no bag. Many of the schools will lose their ability to have any kind of a competitive team return for spring practice and next season. The current model is completely unsustainable, and unless the colleges simply stop, Congress will not give the NCAA any power to control this.

Everyone cancel their tickets and encourage IU to announce an end to the insanity.

”if just one school does it, they’ll think they’re crazy, and they won’t take them. If two schools do it, they’ll think they’re both gay, and they won’t take either one of them. But if 50 schools do it, in harmony, can you imagine 50 schools a day walking in, singing a bar of “we quit“ and walking out, then they’ll think it’s a movement, and that’s what it is.“

Ah we have been left behind. Imagine looking for a new coach without big donations to NIL. It's the IU way. Minimum level of commitment to football.
What would you like the school to do since they cannot fund NIL directly?

They could direct private donations there instead of fighting over them. How many times have they endorsed Hoosiers Connect?

Donating directly to the school is more beneficial to the donor. Directing people there would be malpractice.

Endorsements are another issue.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
What would you like the school to do since they cannot fund NIL directly?
Reach out to alumni, local businesses, etc. Other universities cannot directly fund either and they have players making 7 figures (Page Beukers UConn for example). When NIL first started a Texas donor offered 50K per year to each of the top 16 OL guys.
Like it, don’t like it, is irrelevant. To be competitive you must play by and use the rules.

Reach out to alumni, local businesses, etc. Other universities cannot directly fund either and they have players making 7 figures (Page Beukers UConn for example). When NIL first started a Texas donor offered 50K per year to each of the top 16 OL guys.
Like it, don’t like it, is irrelevant. To be competitive you must play by and use the rules.
The UCONN kid has national endorsements and representation that finds those. She’s not getting money from a collective asking fans for $10 a month and actually pays out about 35 cents of every dollar taken in.

The rush to the portal has begun. In the next month, there will be thousands of kids hit the portal to see who will offer them the biggest bag of cash. Many of them will lose their spot at their current school, and get no bag. Many of the schools will lose their ability to have any kind of a competitive team return for spring practice and next season. The current model is completely unsustainable, and unless the colleges simply stop, Congress will not give the NCAA any power to control this.

Everyone cancel their tickets and encourage IU to announce an end to the insanity.

”if just one school does it, they’ll think they’re crazy, and they won’t take them. If two schools do it, they’ll think they’re both gay, and they won’t take either one of them. But if 50 schools do it, in harmony, can you imagine 50 schools a day walking in, singing a bar of “we quit“ and walking out, then they’ll think it’s a movement, and that’s what it is.“

I sit next to Suzie Creamcheese in Homeroom and she told me there will be a walk-out during 4th & 5th period Lunch with a sit-in at the school mall... that'll show them they can't tell us not to wear blue jeans to school !!!

The NCAA shouldn't have, and doesn't deserve, any control. It has done nothing but exploit players and make untold millions on their backs for its entire history. The more power and control it loses, and the more freedom and parity the players get, the better.

Reactions: DANC and jsenleo
I have yet to see any substantiated list for all FBS schools where their NIL ranks?
I’ve read a top 20 list. There were 3 teams: Michigan, Washington and Nebraska listed there. That means that there are 15 other programs in the conference next year that don’t have an NIL program in the top-20. So IU must be in great company regarding NIL.
I’ve seen comments that IU’s NIL is trash. I’ve read comments that it is “cutting edge.”

So, Allen goes on record to lament the NIL programs for IU but there are a helluva lot of other schools in the same boat.

You know who was #20 in the list?
SMU.
The school whose program was given the death penalty for paying players in 1985 is now one of the best in the country. There rich alums finally get to say “F-U NCAA!!” It’s legal now.
The schools on the list have mega rich donors. Oregon was in there.

IU need to get a bunch of oil tycoons in its alumni base, I guess?

The other thing with NIL collectives: you have a choice to donate to the university or the NIL. You can choose to donate to the organization that buys better players or the organization that can buy better coaches. Tough choices.

I have yet to see any substantiated list for all FBS schools where their NIL ranks?
I’ve read a top 20 list. There were 3 teams: Michigan, Washington and Nebraska listed there. That means that there are 15 other programs in the conference next year that don’t have an NIL program in the top-20. So IU must be in great company regarding NIL.
I’ve seen comments that IU’s NIL is trash. I’ve read comments that it is “cutting edge.”

So, Allen goes on record to lament the NIL programs for IU but there are a helluva lot of other schools in the same boat.

You know who was #20 in the list?
SMU.
The school whose program was given the death penalty for paying players in 1985 is now one of the best in the country. There rich alums finally get to say “F-U NCAA!!” It’s legal now.
The schools on the list have mega rich donors. Oregon was in there.

IU need to get a bunch of oil tycoons in its alumni base, I guess?

The other thing with NIL collectives: you have a choice to donate to the university or the NIL. You can choose to donate to the organization that buys better players or the organization that can buy better coaches. Tough choices.
Very good points. Before NIL was a thing, we couldn't compete with OSU, UM, or PSU. Since NIL, that hasn't changed ( and likely won't). Until I see solid evidence to the contrary I remain unconvinced that a lack of NIL has had anything to do with the fact that we lost to MSU, Illinois, or Purdue, or that it was the reason Maryland and Rutgers continue to kick our ass. All Tom Allen had to do was put together a team that could compete with those schools and he is still the head football coach at Indiana University. I would add that lots of other B1G schools not in the top 20 of NIL money are somehow managing to beat Nebraska.

I don't mean to ignore the significance of NIL money, but I damn sure don't want to hear Tom Allen using it as an excuse to go 9-27 the past three years or only manage 1 conference win in each of those years.

Different era. Coaches in general made a lot less in salary then. Knight did very well for himself with endorsements and speaking engagements.
Obviously, it was a different era. The point is the results of each, relative to their pay in each era.

Reactions: ams66
There's no need for anyone to shed a tear about Tom Allen's situation. He just got to third largest payout in NCAA history and of course the largest in Big ten history.

A little bit of irony; if Indiana ever gets another quarterback as good as Michael Penix his new contract will let him more than Bobby Knight got in salary.

I never read anything about players being academically ineligible anymore. That seems highly suspicious. Will players be suspended for breaking team rules when an outside party is paying them?

College football and basketball have quickly turned into Semi-Pro leagues. Unfortunately all the powers to be that monitor the NCAA seem to be more focused on how much money they can grab. This is not going to end well.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet

I wanna (Jerry) kill. Kill. Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1

If we keep dragging our feet in getting this hire done we'll have inadvertently shut things down without even realizing it....

I remember the haunting words, after Covid, life will never be the same. It’s indivisible New World Order establishing control, coming to create your dependence. I can feel it. Can you?

I certainly have noticed a shift in attitudes toward work, post COVID Half the people that were allowed to work from home in my organization didn’t return to office and just quit. Many have taken on an entitlement attitude, of all ages and demographics. Also a shift in mental “sensitivities.”

Semi-Pro? If you take NIL you are a full-blown pro.
Yes and then again no … Many pros make as much or more in endorsement money as they do from their professional contract wages. Playing football creates the celebrity to support an endorsement contract. But the pay is for the endorsement.

Yeah, current form of NIL sucks. Buy the best team. 100% where it is going, or already is.

Going to be tough on the kids. They are full blown pros now right out of high school. That's a shame in some ways.

But, for now, I prefer Indiana if carrying 'college' sports at all, compete...

Just also work really hard at being elite at helping the kids get a college education. Some universities won't, it'll be all football or basketball. If Indiana can navigate these waters and prepare these pro college players for life, it'll be the right thing.

Reactions: DANC
They could direct private donations there instead of fighting over them. How many times have they endorsed Hoosiers Connect?
Oh, but the private donations are needed for the Jacobs School Music. Have you ever tried to walk a bassoon down Third St on a snowy day?

I sit next to Suzie Creamcheese in Homeroom and she told me there will be a walk-out during 4th & 5th period Lunch with a sit-in at the school mall... that'll show them they can't tell us not to wear blue jeans to school !!!
I remember Suzy - what a fox!

Say goodbye to the TV network money then that pays for all of the non-revenue sports.
You know what - we actually had very successful non-revenue sports well before BTN was created.

Some of you youngsters may not realize it, but you can look it up, as they say.

Very good points. Before NIL was a thing, we couldn't compete with OSU, UM, or PSU. Since NIL, that hasn't changed ( and likely won't). Until I see solid evidence to the contrary I remain unconvinced that a lack of NIL has had anything to do with the fact that we lost to MSU, Illinois, or Purdue, or that it was the reason Maryland and Rutgers continue to kick our ass. All Tom Allen had to do was put together a team that could compete with those schools and he is still the head football coach at Indiana University. I would add that lots of other B1G schools not in the top 20 of NIL money are somehow managing to beat Nebraska.

I don't mean to ignore the significance of NIL money, but I damn sure don't want to hear Tom Allen using it as an excuse to go 9-27 the past three years or only manage 1 conference win in each of those years.
How many millions did Tom Allen make? Wonder how much he gave to NIL?

Yes and then again no … Many pros make as much or more in endorsement money as they do from their professional contract wages. Playing football creates the celebrity to support an endorsement contract. But the pay is for the endorsement.
College payers get paid with full ride scholarships.

Colleges are the NFL's minor leagues. There's no way a HS player could come right out of HS and join the NFL. They get paid very well with scholarship money.

Suzie Creamcheese sounds like a girl who might put out. Fifty cents a feel perhaps?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT