ADVERTISEMENT

64% of Americans claim to be Christian per recent polling.

There is still a hell, and lake of fire Bulk. And Christ spoke about hell many times you want me to share? Don't leave it out. Just because we live in Grace and Peace does not mean continue in sin. Paul describes his struggle with flesh in Romans 7. God uses many examples of the old testament in 2 Peter.
You have jumped so far off the point, that we are now having a different discussion.

I think I have talked about it before, but you miss the point of Jesus if you are being good because you are afraid of going to Hell. That is a crappy relationship, and not the one God wants to have with us. He wants us to be good (for want of a better term) because we see how much he loves us by sacrificing his Son, and who would want to disappoint a Father like that? While both scenarios may result in better behavior, only one is really the reason for Jesus' sacrifice for us.
The fear factor was necessary in Old Testament times. Now that we should have matured in our relationship with God, Jesus was the fulfillment of God's love for us.

Will there be snakes?
InformalLimpingJabiru-size_restricted.gif

You have jumped so far off the point, that we are now having a different discussion.

I think I have talked about it before, but you miss the point of Jesus if you are being good because you are afraid of going to Hell. That is a crappy relationship, and not the one God wants to have with us. He wants us to be good (for want of a better term) because we see how much he loves us by sacrificing his Son, and who would want to disappoint a Father like that? While both scenarios may result in better behavior, only one is really the reason for Jesus' sacrifice for us.
The fear factor was necessary in Old Testament times. Now that we should have matured in our relationship with God, Jesus was the fulfillment of God's love for us.
In order to have knowledge, wisdom and understanding you have to start here. I pray for it daily before I read as well as the eyes of my understanding being enlightened Ephesians 1:18
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Have I moved past it yes. I'm changing bulk. Only because I'm reading again. When I first came to this board I was not following the commandment and reading. And I learned that over 20 years ago. The past month and a half? Daily again. AND I miss it. It sets the tone for my day. Gladly I read again. My spirit rejoices and doesn't slumber. Of course he wants us to be good, but you cannot be saved through works. Only through the faith which is described in Romans 3: 24, 25, 26. Paul saw Christ after he died more than anyone and was the last to see him. Paul preaches Christ and is your minister.

Question for you. Do you know who your minister is in the bible?

Will there be snakes?

Mark 16:17-18
King James Version​

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
In order to have knowledge, wisdom and understanding you have to start here. I pray for it daily before I read as well as the eyes of my understanding being enlightened Ephesians 1:18
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Have I moved past it yes. I'm changing bulk. Only because I'm reading again. When I first came to this board I was not following the commandment and reading. And I learned that over 20 years ago. The past month and a half? Daily again. AND I miss it. It sets the tone for my day. Gladly I read again. My spirit rejoices and doesn't slumber. Of course he wants us to be good, but you cannot be saved through works. Only through the faith which is described in Romans 3: 24, 25, 26. Paul saw Christ after he died more than anyone and was the last to see him. Paul preaches Christ and is your minister.

Question for you. Do you know who your minister is in the bible?
According to Ephesians, church leaders are called upon to equip us all for the ministry for the purpose of building the Church.

I love how the Bible also describes a host of other sins that people just ignore.

Like eating pork. Can't be without bacon, though.
Like wearing clothing that includes many types of fibers. Every day in a cotton/poly blend shirt is a sin!
Cutting your hair.
Getting a tattoo.
Touching a woman within 7 days of her giving birth, or when she is having a period. UNCLEAN!
Mixing dog breeds.
Planting more than one crop in your garden.
Entering any church if you were born out of wedlock,
A woman not being a virgin at marriage. STONE HER!
Having a disability.

Plus not all of them seem to be equal. Adultery would appear to be a big Biblical taboo, yet adulterers somehow get way more slack than homosexuals. Some serial adulterers become cult figures, even!

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke4ahs
According to Ephesians, church leaders are called upon to equip us all for the ministry for the purpose of building the Church.
So you don't think Paul is your preacher after Christ charged him on the road to Damascus to preach to the Gentiles in Acts 26: 13-18

I'm changing bulk. Only because I'm reading again. When I first came to this board I was not following the commandment and reading. And I learned that over 20 years ago. The past month and a half? Daily again. AND I miss it. It sets the tone for my day. Gladly I read again. My spirit rejoices and doesn't slumber.
That's awesome.

Cool of you to recognize you needed to change, sought out the means to do so, and found something that brings you joy and peace.

That's awesome.

Cool of you to recognize you needed to change, sought out the means to do so, and found something that brings you joy and peace.
Believe it or not I saw how I was acting towards others here and other places. I used to read all the time and stopped except for the occasional look up, but not like your supposed to. Also met a brother in Christ who has gone through 71 times according to the establishment commandment and just full of knowledge while I did nothing...Doh

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Of course he wants us to be good, but you cannot be saved through works. Only through the faith which is described in Romans 3: 24, 25, 26.
You can't be saved without good works.

"Then [the King] will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.' -Matthew 25:41-46

Get moving.

Believe it or not I saw how I was acting towards others here and other places. I used to read all the time and stopped except for the occasional look up, but not like your supposed to. Also met a brother in Christ who has gone through 71 times according to the establishment commandment and just full of knowledge while I did nothing...Doh
That's really uplifting to read. I'm excited for you. Here's hoping your in-person, non WC relationships also benefit. I'm sure they will.

I also hope you can leave some room in your heart for people who might not be brothers in Christ, but are brothers in a similar spirit of trying to become better people.

You can't be saved without good works.

"Then [the King] will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.' -Matthew 25:41-46

Get moving.
Through Bowl...

Your judged by Pauls Gospel. You CANNOT get saved by works. If you think anything you could possibly do would 1 up what the Lord did you cannot.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:

30Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

31Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

James 2:17-18
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

James 2:17-18
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
That's a different time frame. That's is the jews in acts before Peter and Paul had a conversation and grace and peace was established moving forward. There are a couple gospel dispensations going on btwn Matthew and acts. Then Paul establishes grace and peace. The next one is the angel I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Tough to rightly divide but that's why were given the establishment commandment.

That's a different time frame. That's is the jews in acts before Peter and Paul had a conversation and grace and peace was established moving forward. There are a couple gospel dispensations going on btwn Matthew and acts. Then Paul establishes grace and peace. The next one is the angel I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Tough to rightly divide but that's why were given the establishment commandment.
No, he is trying to trip you up. The verse in James is saying that faith alone without works is a dead faith and that if you have true faith in what is being taught, your works will reflect that faith.

ETA: The follow up is that demons know that Jesus is Lord but they work against it. James is just building on Paul that good deeds are not enough and that you need faith by saying that a true living faith will also be reflected in your deeds. "You will know a tree by its fruit."

My wife is a devout Christian. She has stopped calling herself a Christian, though, since she is Catholic and the word "Christian" has been coopted by Evangelical Christians such that it conveys an allegiance to beliefs that she does not share at all, and never has.
When were followers of Jesus first called christians?
When was the Catholic Church started?
What’s an evangelical?
The Bible clearly states “Christ established one church”
Now…how about those dates.
People have falsely identified as Christian more often than men have identified as women.

No, he is trying to trip you up. The verse in James is saying that faith alone without works is a dead faith and that if you have true faith in what is being taught, your works will reflect that faith.

ETA: The follow up is that demons know that Jesus is Lord but they work against it. James is just building on Paul that good deeds are not enough and that you need faith by saying that a true living faith will also be reflected in your deeds. "You will know a tree by its fruit."
100% NOT trying to trip him up.

Bowl said you can’t be saved without good works. FTW took issue with that assuming Bowl said you can be saved through works alone. I didn’t read Bowl’s comment that way. James would seem to agree that if you’re truly saved then good works would follow so Bowl wouldn’t necessarily have been wrong.

I do take issue with the concept that Peter and Paul had a sit down and hammered this out. If all scripture is truly God-breathed, then I don’t follow that two guys could overrule God-breathed truths.

To say nothing of the fact that the earliest the Book of James is dated to is just around the time that Paul and Peter died, so it would be odd that they cleared up some confusion in scripture and then James was written down after it was cleared up.

The only thing worse than a liberal stating what Republicans believe is a non-Christian saying what Christians believe.
The "only" thing?

Pretty sure your use of "non-Christian" is fairly broad,and doesn't take into account those of us who were actually raised within a "Christian framework" and for whatever reason no longer identify as a practicing Christian. To say that we somehow don't know what Christians believe, is akin to saying that the multitude of folks raised within an LDS family framework who now consider themselves ex-Mormon are somehow ignorant of the basic tenets of Mormonism...

Anyway, a far worse example of people trying to arbitrarily define the value system of others, is all the wing nuts inventing their own definitions and basically attempting to misappropriate concepts like CRT and wokeism...I could use multiple posts from this very board to illustrate that phenomenon...

Let me get back to ya. At final cheer event for the year. This was where the coach died. Daughters coach. It's a big deal. :)

Whichever supports his underlying contention.

That's how it works, isn't it?
According to the vast majority….you are correct. I looked for Lutherans, Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists in the Bible.
I was unable to locate them. Hmmm

Bowl said you can’t be saved without good works. FTW took issue with that assuming Bowl said you can be saved through works alone. I didn’t read Bowl’s comment that way. James would seem to agree that if you’re truly saved then good works would follow so Bowl wouldn’t necessarily have been wrong.

I do take issue with the concept that Peter and Paul had a sit down and hammered this out. If all scripture is truly God-breathed, then I don’t follow that two guys could overrule God-breathed truths.

To say nothing of the fact that the earliest the Book of James is dated to is just around the time that Paul and Peter died, so it would be odd that they cleared up some confusion in scripture and then James was written down after it was cleared up.
He has a very parochial (no pun intended) view of scripture and a very limited understanding of the New Testament.

The verse from Matthew (and the passages you've cited) couldn't be clearer. Faith alone is not enough. You've got to walk the walk. We have an obligation as Christians to step up and do what we can to ease others' pain. If someone sits on their ass and turns a blind eye to people's suffering, they're not a true Christian irrespective of the breadth of their faith.

"A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:35.

I'm out. I don't like preaching. I just feel compelled to speak up when I read some of the erroneous stuff that's posted here.

He has a very parochial (no pun intended) view of scripture and a very limited understanding of the New Testament.

The verse from Matthew (and the passages you've cited) couldn't be clearer. Faith alone is not enough. You've got to walk the walk. We have an obligation as Christians to step up and do what we can to ease others' pain. If someone sits on their ass and turns a blind eye to people's suffering, they're not a true Christian irrespective of the breadth of their faith.

"A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:35.

I'm out. I don't like preaching. I just feel compelled to speak up when I read some of the erroneous stuff that's posted here.
I feel like I am hearing an echo.

Are you quoting Old Testament or New Testament?
Leviticus and Deuteronomy are the sources for most of the whackadoodle definitions of sin that I mentioned. The relevant passages are cited in the link that I provided. All of the info is there.

Are we throwing out the Old Testament now, if convenient?

Back in Acts it was faith and works until Paul came in. The jews are used to working... (old testament). Those epistles James, Peter, John, Jude were continuations of Acts. (Faith without works is dead) Now of course Paul teaches and brings in the mystery program (The Gentiles). The Gospel, Sin Debt, Flesh Fight, Love, Charity, (1 Corinthians 13) and treat each other with Love, which is what Christ taught. Christ charged Paul in Acts and sent him to the Gentiles and then appeared to him again and Paul was the last to see him. The rest of the apostles were preaching to the Jews (circumcision). Thats why after Pauls last epistle Philemon we have Hebrews (Jews) and then the apostles.

BTW Romans 10:9 Confess...Look at the beginning of the chapter. Brethren my hearts desire and prayer to Israel is, that they might be saved. He's talking to his brothers the Jews.

Now in Galatians Chapter 2 Paul (Gentiles or uncircumcision) withstood Peter (Jews or Circumcision) to the face. Rather than do an entire Bible lesson read Galatians 2 you'll understand.

Snippets
Paul said But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. Read the chapter...James, Peter Cephas, and John were trying to bring in works and Paul said NO.

But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

15We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,

16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Paul sets it straight.

He adds the most important scripture here which I showed Bowl yesterday.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

We stand in the gospel below till that angel sounds. Works is an addition but has NOTHING to do with your salvation, only your reward. 1 Corinthians Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; and if you stand in that faith and are saved you will sit before the judgement seat of Christ where those works (gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble) will be tried by fire.

I have a lot of stubble for sure.

Salvation
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
At the end of Pauls Gospel he says Romans 3:28 therefore we conclude (finish) a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

To many people leave out the blood. Look at Leviticus....EVERY atonement and sacrifice for sins was BLOOD. Don't forget the blood.

Peace and fire away.

I feel like I am hearing an echo.
That guy is extreme confused. If you wish to continue I left you a long explanation scripture backed and filled (NOT OPINION). Glad to chat further. I can do no more for Bowl I've admonished him more than 3 times.

You continue bringing up matt mark luke john...Christ did NOT COME FOR YOU BOWL. He came for the nation of Israel. He sent Paul to the Gentiles how many times must I present Christ charging Paul go to the Gentiles through scripture. Just quit responding you are extreme confused. The woman that tugged at Jesus robe...But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. The Gentiles got let in through Grace and Peace..Mystery program DUH. Not going to respond anymore. You do NOT get it. Without Paul there is no Gentiles saved pal. It ends. Its over.

Read my response to IUCrazy Galatians 2 there is Paul getting in the face of PETER because he, Peter, James Cephas and John are confusing these saved Gentiles telling them to get circumcised and work. Read what Paul says! He sets it straight. Read the rest and if you have questions ask. Peace

Back in Acts it was faith and works until Paul came in. The jews are used to working... (old testament). Those epistles James, Peter, John, Jude were continuations of Acts. (Faith without works is dead) Now of course Paul teaches and brings in the mystery program (The Gentiles). The Gospel, Sin Debt, Flesh Fight, Love, Charity, (1 Corinthians 13) and treat each other with Love, which is what Christ taught. Christ charged Paul in Acts and sent him to the Gentiles and then appeared to him again and Paul was the last to see him. The rest of the apostles were preaching to the Jews (circumcision). Thats why after Pauls last epistle Philemon we have Hebrews (Jews) and then the apostles.

BTW Romans 10:9 Confess...Look at the beginning of the chapter. Brethren my hearts desire and prayer to Israel is, that they might be saved. He's talking to his brothers the Jews.

Now in Galatians Chapter 2 Paul (Gentiles or uncircumcision) withstood Peter (Jews or Circumcision) to the face. Rather than do an entire Bible lesson read Galatians 2 you'll understand.

Snippets
Paul said But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. Read the chapter...James, Peter Cephas, and John were trying to bring in works and Paul said NO.

But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

15We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,

16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Paul sets it straight.

He adds the most important scripture here which I showed Bowl yesterday.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

We stand in the gospel below till that angel sounds. Works is an addition but has NOTHING to do with your salvation, only your reward. 1 Corinthians Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; and if you stand in that faith and are saved you will sit before the judgement seat of Christ where those works (gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble) will be tried by fire.

I have a lot of stubble for sure.

Salvation
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
At the end of Pauls Gospel he says Romans 3:28 therefore we conclude (finish) a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

To many people leave out the blood. Look at Leviticus....EVERY atonement and sacrifice for sins was BLOOD. Don't forget the blood.

Peace and fire away.
So I am not a religious scholar and don't have the time to get too deep but I don't think anything up above negates what is in James. When "the law" is brought up or whenever there is a reference of the Gentiles not having to live like the Jews, I don't believe that is saying that you just say "Jesus is Lord" and you get to live however you want. It is saying that the old laws (like those brought up by other above like earing certain animals or wearing clothes of different materials) don't have to apply to the Gentiles in order for them to receive salvation. That isn't important. You do still have to live a Godly life (or attempt to the best of your ability) along with that profession of faith. And James is saying that if you are truly transformed, your faith will lead to your works.

I again go back to the example directly after that. Demons acknowledged who Jesus was but they are/were rebellious.

Read my response to IUCrazy Galatians 2 there is Paul getting in the face of PETER because he, Peter, James Cephas and John are confusing these saved Gentiles telling them to get circumcised and work. Read what Paul says! He sets it straight. Read the rest and if you have questions ask. Peace
I think one of the overarching points here is that if you believe the people arguing with you are arguing in good faith and have just as much interest in being Christian as you do, you have to admit that the Bible is vague and contradictory about a lot of very important things.

So using it to support a divine position on current political events, 2000+ years removed from the time the texts were written, doesn’t make much sense.

So I am not a religious scholar and don't have the time to get too deep but I don't think anything up above negates what is in James. When "the law" is brought up or whenever there is a reference of the Gentiles not having to live like the Jews, I don't believe that is saying that you just say "Jesus is Lord" and you get to live however you want. It is saying that the old laws (like those brought up by other above like earing certain animals or wearing clothes of different materials) don't have to apply to the Gentiles in order for them to receive salvation. That isn't important. You do still have to live a Godly life (or attempt to the best of your ability) along with that profession of faith. And James is saying that if you are truly transformed, your faith will lead to your works.

I again go back to the example directly after that. Demons acknowledged who Jesus was but they are/were rebellious.

I am far, far from a Biblical scholar. But for me, Mark has it. Rule 1, there is but one God and to love Him. Rule 2, love your neighbor as yourself. It is rule 2 that requires works, imho.

The problem we all run into, liberal Christian and conservative Christian, is that we throw rule 2 out the window when it comes to American politics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT