ADVERTISEMENT

'22-23 roster

This whole thing is going to be fluid. Some kids will make decisions based on what other kids do. Some will make their own decisions without any regard for anyone else. We have incoming freshman to consider. We have a roster where every single one could decide they want to come back. We have transfer rules that would allow most of them to transfer wherever they want without having to sit out.

So here's a stab...

-TJD will announce he's going pro here very soon.
-Race will announce soon after he's leaving to pursue other opportunities.
-Those decisions will sway Durr and Duncombe to stay.
-The TJD and Race decisions will make IU a popular school for portal bigs to consider.
-Miller and Parker will leave. Done all together, or transfer if they'll have graduated.
-Khristian will transfer.
-Everyone else will stay.

We'll be forced to play differently. Durr and Dumcombe will anchor the new style "5" position for us. Much more of a Kevon Looney/Andrew Bogut type role. Defend, rebound, pick and roll, hit open 15 footers. Obviously if we land a starter level transfer in this spot, it'll have an impact as well.

Jordan and Kaleb will man our new "4" position. Long, athletic, able to stretch the floor, active on the glass. Hopefully able to freely switch and guard all positions. Same as above, with regards to starter level transfer, and their impact here.

The rest will be whoever the best combination of backcourt players are. Xavier for sure. Hopefully JHS is as good overall, and as physically ready, as we think he is. Bates, Trey, and then CJ Gunn maybe. A knock down shooting transfer would be huge here. And would cut into everyones minutes that I've already mentioned. I don't think it changes how our backcourt would play much though.

That's our main core 9-10 next year. If we can get a couple impact transfers, that'll be huge. But even if we don't, if the returning guys I said come back, I think we'll be just as competitive as we were this year. VERY, VERY different. And replacing TJD and Race will be rough. But that would also force us, most likely, to completely change our style of play. Which could end up being a good thing.

This whole thing is going to be fluid. Some kids will make decisions based on what other kids do. Some will make their own decisions without any regard for anyone else. We have incoming freshman to consider. We have a roster where every single one could decide they want to come back. We have transfer rules that would allow most of them to transfer wherever they want without having to sit out.

So here's a stab...

-The TJD and Race decisions will make IU a popular school for portal bigs to consider.
-Miller and Parker will leave. Done all together, or transfer if they'll have graduated.

We'll be forced to play differently. Durr and Dumcombe will anchor the new style "5" position for us. Much more of a Kevon Looney/Andrew Bogut type role. Defend, rebound, pick and roll, hit open 15 footers. Obviously if we land a starter level transfer in this spot, it'll have an impact as well.

Jordan and Kaleb will man our new "4" position. Long, athletic, able to stretch the floor, active on the glass. Hopefully able to freely switch and guard all positions. Same as above, with regards to starter level transfer, and their impact here.

The rest will be whoever the best combination of backcourt players are. Xavier for sure. Hopefully JHS is as good overall, and as physically ready, as we think he is. Bates, Trey, and then CJ Gunn maybe. A knock down shooting transfer would be huge here. And would cut into everyones minutes that I've already mentioned. I don't think it changes how our backcourt would play much though.

That's our main core 9-10 next year. If we can get a couple impact transfers, that'll be huge. But even if we don't, if the returning guys I said come back, I think we'll be just as competitive as we were this year. VERY, VERY different. And replacing TJD and Race will be rough. But that would also force us, most likely, to completely change our style of play. Which could end up being a good thing.
If 5 leave, the transfers would be 1 big and 1 shooter. You don't mention the shooter.

I think/hope Rob will also leave. He shot 36% on 2s, 26% on 3s this year. Enough of that.

edit--ok, guess you did mention a shooter later in the post...

Last edited:
Reactions: mk24
Woodson seems to be very tight lipped about his true feelings on the potential of some of the players. How does he really feel about the future of Lander, Kopp, Stewart, Duncombe, Leal, Durr? I haven’t heard it.

Woodson seems to be very tight lipped about his true feelings on the potential of some of the players. How does he really feel about the future of Lander, Kopp, Stewart, Duncombe, Leal, Durr? I haven’t heard it.
If Durr and Duncomb are our two fives it may be a long year. Just saying.

If 5 leave, the transfers would be 1 big and 1 shooter. You don't mention the shooter.

I think/hope Rob will also leave. He shot 36% on 2s, 26% on 3s this year. Enough of that.

edit--ok, guess you did mention a shooter later in the post...

Looking at the BT this year, the 3 top 3 pt shooters were all transfers, and all 3 were also in the top 4 in %:

1. Plummer, Illinois.......3.0/game ....#2 at .413
2. Jamison, Minn...........2.6/game.....#4 at .366
3. Willis, Minn................2.6/game.....#1 at .428

That's the good news......the bad news is Parker S was probably the next best transfer 3 pt shooter, way down the list.

So here's a stab...

We're thinking along similar lines. I just don't know how hard Woodson will push TJD and Race to stay. The lineup you describe is closer to what he has said he wants to put in place. If he thinks they can expand their games more to fit what he wants to run, then we could be very good. If he thinks we'll look about the same as this year, he may want to move on with the younger guys. Of course, they may decide to leave no matter how much he wants them back.

If TJD returns, Durr may seek another option. Or Woodson may not see a future for him even if TJD leaves. He needs to really step-up defensively, and that's something the coaches need to evaluate whether he'll get there.

Lots of unknowns heading into next year, but I'm ready to see what Woodson will do with his guys he recruited.

Thanks, keep blogging
Lander will b gone as he should b. There’s been little to no improvement in his game. And his shot is not good. He’s just not going to get many minutes at IU. BTW his defense stinks too and if Woody wants to hang his hat on the D then there’s little chance he plays.

Lander will b gone as he should b. There’s been little to no improvement in his game. And his shot is not good. He’s just not going to get many minutes at IU. BTW his defense stinks too and if Woody wants to hang his hat on the D then there’s little chance he plays.
He had a heck of an airball three yesterday. He is gone

Reactions: Lucy01
There's no way to predict transfers, but in my estimation, this is what next season's roster will look like:

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

I don't see any way Woodson hangs on to Miller Kopp or Parker Stewart. Jackson-Davis will chase his NBA dreams. Race Thompson will move on after five years. Michael Durr will move on.

Thoughts?
That will be an NIT team

There's no way to predict transfers, but in my estimation, this is what next season's roster will look like:

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

I don't see any way Woodson hangs on to Miller Kopp or Parker Stewart. Jackson-Davis will chase his NBA dreams. Race Thompson will move on after five years. Michael Durr will move on.

Thoughts?
I am not sure who is going or who is staying, so for me, it's to early to speculate. I think we will get a much better idea after CMW has his one-on-one meetings.

Reactions: gmhowes
IU hasn't had a roster capable of "making an impact" since 2013.....going on a decade. Some will argue with that...but since Zeller and Watford left...taking a pretty strong perimeter shooting team with them...IU hasn't been a factor....settling in on the lower half of the B1G regularly...and losing touch with the NCAA tournament. Recruiting looms large in both the short term and the long term.

IU hasn't had a roster capable of "making an impact" since 2013.....going on a decade. Some will argue with that...but since Zeller and Watford left...taking a pretty strong perimeter shooting team with them...IU hasn't been a factor....settling in on the lower half of the B1G regularly...and losing touch with the NCAA tournament. Recruiting looms large in both the short term and the long term.

They won the B10 in 2016 and 5 different players from that team have all played minutes in the NBA.

Yep...I forgot that year....made it to the third round in the NCAA....when I said "making an impact" that was my point....NCAA tournament....I don't mind being wrong when it makes IU look good...Thanks for pointing that year out. I just want more examples like this one. And, an occasional B1G tournament title would be nice too....though it didn't seem to help IOWA this year.

Yep...I forgot that year....made it to the third round in the NCAA....when I said "making an impact" that was my point....NCAA tournament....I don't mind being wrong when it makes IU look good...Thanks for pointing that year out. I just want more examples like this one. And, an occasional B1G tournament title would be nice too....though it didn't seem to help IOWA this year.

Iowa was always going to lose in the tournament because of an off shooting night, just too reliant on the 3. Only surprise is that it happened in the first gsme

Reactions: .Gerdis
He played because he is our only true wing. Hopefully Banks can beat him out, but I don’t see how you get rid of him.
Banks is a 4. He will play behind JG. Our 3s will be trey and bates. JHS is a combo. Hope his shooting improves.

Rob publicly stated he had given some thought to using the free covid year to return next season. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing for Woodson as well. The emotion we saw in Rob in the locker room video after hitting the winning shot against Purdue in Bloomington when Woodson said "I'm in your corner" is all you need.

It would not surprise me to see either Tamar or Khristian pack it up and head elsewhere. I think that would be a shortsighted decision, but they're free to do as they please.
Why would Woodson want RP back - yes, he plays great defense, but he's hurt a lot and his offense is poor to spotty. Woodson kept thinking RP's shot would come around if he had "confidence" and shot enough, but it didn't. Yes he had moments, but looking at the body of play, outside of defense, not a lot there (maybe some leadership skills though).

Lander can go. Two years and physically still underdeveloped (which tells me he's not working on it) is a poor defender, fouls a lot and is a bit of a turnover machine. I just don't get what people see in him. He was an overhyped overrated HS player.

Bates may have value, but needs a lot of work.

Woody had 17 players including walkons. He had zero outside shooters with any consistency. That's not Hoosier ball. His setting TJD and Johnson for 5-6 minute spans is inane. He definitely has a learning curve ahead.

Banks is a 4. He will play behind JG. Our 3s will be trey and bates. JHS is a combo. Hope his shooting improves.
You might be right about Banks, but Bates is a prototypical 2. He can play the three if we want to go small. Same goes for Galloway. Kopp is 6’7, which is why I think he got a lot of playing time this year. Banks aspires to be a 3. Time will tell.

I almost wonder if Lander could end up going back home to play at Evansville for Todd Lickliter.

There will also be a new coaching staff at Ball State. I've heard former IU standout Mike Lewis is in the running for that job. Lander could end up there as well.

Heard that Terry Johnson, current PU Asst, former OSU Asst., Butler, and Anderson HS player may be the front runner at BSU.

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

Thoughts?
This is outrageous. You’re telling me Woodson is going to hang on to guys like Lander, Duncomb, Leal, etc who can’t get off the pines but tell Kopp and Stewart to pack their bags? That’s just absurd. I don’t know if they’ll be back or not but I do know Woodson would love to have them if they choose to stay. And they’d both be clear starters.

This is outrageous. You’re telling me Woodson is going to hang on to guys like Lander, Duncomb, Leal, etc who can’t get off the pines but tell Kopp and Stewart to pack their bags? That’s just absurd. I don’t know if they’ll be back or not but I do know Woodson would love to have them if they choose to stay. And they’d both be clear starters.
If Woody wants to hold on to Stewart and Kopp- I’ll know he’s going to fail in bringing IU back to relevance. Have we made another bad hire?

If Woody wants to hold on to Stewart and Kopp- I’ll know he’s going to fail in bringing IU back to relevance. Have we made another bad hire?
This will be a very crucial year for the direction of the program. If Stewart, Kopp, LD, and Durr are all on the roster I will not be too excited for the future.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Why would Woodson want RP back - yes, he plays great defense, but he's hurt a lot and his offense is poor to spotty. Woodson kept thinking RP's shot would come around if he had "confidence" and shot enough, but it didn't. Yes he had moments, but looking at the body of play, outside of defense, not a lot there (maybe some leadership skills though).

Lander can go. Two years and physically still underdeveloped (which tells me he's not working on it) is a poor defender, fouls a lot and is a bit of a turnover machine. I just don't get what people see in him. He was an overhyped overrated HS player.

Bates may have value, but needs a lot of work.

I think Woodson would want him back because it would mean he is good with coming off the bench and he plays good defense which is most prized by Woodson.

I think Woodson would want him back because it would mean he is good with coming off the bench and he plays good defense which is most prized by Woodson.
Good but not great on D won't cut it for a guy who shot 36% on 2s this year & 26% on 3s.

I would think so too but surprised he hasn't already been fired.

UE would be foolish not to make Michael Lewis target A, B, C
I am a big fan of UE. I just don't think the commitment to win is there from the admin.. Lewis can do much better than UE and BSU, and should wait for a stronger opportunity. Sad, but true IMO.

I believe the Butler job will be available after next season. Lewis was an asst coach at Butler several years ago, and is a perfect fit to "The Butler Way".

Last edited:
But Lander is a 5 star!

Looking at his stats,
Well, for sure we will see Joey Brunk and Armaan Franklin back. Let's just start there.
Based solely upon his stats this year, Franklin has to be second-guessing his decision, doesn't he?

I am a big fan of UE. I just don't think the commitment to win is there from the admin.. Lewis can do much better than UE and BSU, and should wait for a stronger opportunity. Sad, but true IMO.
I don't think UE can afford Michael Lewis.

But if he's looking for a HC job, then UE would be foolish not to reach out (assuming TL retires or is not retained).

I’ve never blogged lol. I do exactly what you do except I paid our athletes money and have much more information about our program than you.
Cav, could NIL raise $300k to keep TJD at IU. Is that realistic?

I don't think they'd be clear starters. If we could keep everyone and have everyone healthy, I think Kopp and Stewart would be behind Galloway and Phin, and could likely fall behind Bates depending on his development and Hood-Schifino if he's college ready. Both Galloway and Phin were getting more minutes than Kopp/Stewart the last 8 or so games before their injuries, and Galloway in particular had taken Stewart's starting spot the last 4 games before his groin injury. And the main thing holding Phin back from cracking the starting lineup was the need to stagger PG minutes in case of foul trouble with X. But with Galloway proving to be a capable ball handler and Hood-Schifino in the wings, that would no longer be a concern.

In this hypothetical situation where we could keep everyone, I would predict we start TJD, Race, X, Galloway would start with Phin/Bates competing for the last spot.

I don't think they'd be clear starters. If we could keep everyone and have everyone healthy, I think Kopp and Stewart would be behind Galloway and Phin, and could likely fall behind Bates depending on his development and Hood-Schifino if he's college ready. Both Galloway and Phin were getting more minutes than Kopp/Stewart the last 8 or so games before their injuries, and Galloway in particular had taken Stewart's starting spot the last 4 games before his groin injury. And the main thing holding Phin back from cracking the starting lineup was the need to stagger PG minutes in case of foul trouble with X. But with Galloway proving to be a capable ball handler and Hood-Schifino in the wings, that would no longer be a concern.

In this hypothetical situation where we could keep everyone, I would predict we start TJD, Race, X, Galloway would start with Phin/Bates competing for the last spot.
Damn. The main thing holding Phin back from cracking the starting lineup is that he is not very good. How much more evidence of that do you need?

This will be a very crucial year for the direction of the program. If Stewart, Kopp, LD, and Durr are all on the roster I will not be too excited for the future.

I think LD is a potentially worthwhile developmental player, but if the other 3 are all still on the roster, we'd most definitely need his spot for an immediate impact player.

I think LD is a potentially worthwhile developmental player, but if the other 3 are all still on the roster, we'd most definitely need his spot for an immediate impact player.
I keep hearing that about LD but we really have no evidence honestly. The guy could not even get off the bench.

Damn. The main thing holding Phin back from cracking the starting lineup is that he is not very good. How much more evidence of that do you need?

If you want to grade Phin out poorly overall, that's fine, but my point was that when healthy he was better and more important to the team than either Kopp or Stewart and that Kopp/Stewart are not clear starters if they would return

Phin had one good game vs Purdue and all of a sudden people claimed boy did we miss him when he was out. When he came back he was the same old rob. You will get an occasional good game but normally it is the same old stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT