ADVERTISEMENT

'22-23 roster

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
There's no way to predict transfers, but in my estimation, this is what next season's roster will look like:

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

I don't see any way Woodson hangs on to Miller Kopp or Parker Stewart. Jackson-Davis will chase his NBA dreams. Race Thompson will move on after five years. Michael Durr will move on.

Thoughts?

There's no way to predict transfers, but in my estimation, this is what next season's roster will look like:

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

I don't see any way Woodson hangs on to Miller Kopp or Parker Stewart. Jackson-Davis will chase his NBA dreams. Race Thompson will move on after five years. Michael Durr will move on.

Thoughts?
That is a pretty good guess. I would think one more would leave from a group of Rob, Lander, or Tamar.

That is a pretty good guess. I would think one more would leave from a group of Rob, Lander, or Tamar.
Rob publicly stated he had given some thought to using the free covid year to return next season. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing for Woodson as well. The emotion we saw in Rob in the locker room video after hitting the winning shot against Purdue in Bloomington when Woodson said "I'm in your corner" is all you need.

It would not surprise me to see either Tamar or Khristian pack it up and head elsewhere. I think that would be a shortsighted decision, but they're free to do as they please.

I think there is a better chance TJD is back before Lander and I put TJD's return at about 25%.
In my mind, there's a 1% chance Jackson-Davis returns next season. My guess is that he bets on himself and takes his chances at getting drafted. I still believe he is a likely two-way player. Is it worth to him to have a majority of his minutes come with a G-League team? We will find out.

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

Thoughts?
I hope you’re not correct! TJD & Race are huge losses - and 2 portal players won’t be enough.
We need at least two more scholarships!
Add another hs recruit at the big guard/sf and another big

Rob publicly stated he had given some thought to using the free covid year to return next season. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing for Woodson as well. The emotion we saw in Rob in the locker room video after hitting the winning shot against Purdue in Bloomington when Woodson said "I'm in your corner" is all you need.

It would not surprise me to see either Tamar or Khristian pack it up and head elsewhere. I think that would be a shortsighted decision, but they're free to do as they please.
Tamar would be short-sighted given he would have every opportunity to start and be a contributing guard, but Lander once again would be buried two better PG's.

shortsided for Bates...yes probably so. But Lander...seriously he only played in 14 games and last night was his first action (garbage time in an NCAA game...sad) in forever. If X comes back , Rob, and JHS on campus....there is no playing time for Lander. He's already wasted 2 seasons in college. The IU thing isn't gonna work for him....blame CAM, find a mid major in dire need of guards, and get back on the court. That would be my take.

Reactions: kkott
I hope you’re not correct! TJD & Race are huge losses - and 2 portal players won’t be enough.
We need at least two more scholarships!
Add another hs recruit at the big guard/sf and another big
Unless Woodson could somehow sneak in to steal one of the select few unsigned players in the '22 class, he won't be adding another high school player. His best bet is to hit the transfer portal again.

In my mind, there's a 1% chance Jackson-Davis returns next season. My guess is that he bets on himself and takes his chances at getting drafted. I still believe he is a likely two-way player. Is it worth to him to have a majority of his minutes come with a G-League team? We will find out.
I think it's greater than 1% but agree chances of him returning are unlikely. I genuinely feel he loves his time in Bloomington and he got a small glimpse of some winning basketball and coming back for some unfinished business may have some pull.

shortsided for Bates...yes probably so. But Lander...seriously he only played in 14 games and last night was his first action (garbage time in an NCAA game...sad) in forever. If X comes back , Rob, and JHS on campus....there is no playing time for Lander. He's already wasted 2 seasons in college. The IU thing isn't gonna work for him....blame CAM, find a mid major in dire need of guards, and get back on the court. That would be my take.
I almost wonder if Lander could end up going back home to play at Evansville for Todd Lickliter.

There will also be a new coaching staff at Ball State. I've heard former IU standout Mike Lewis is in the running for that job. Lander could end up there as well.

Reactions: bwcoach
I don’t see Tamar or Lander returning.and Duncomb is a 50/50 shot. Those are 3 I expect will bolt, I think Tamar moves closer to family (and kid).

I almost wonder if he could end up going back home to play at Evansville for Todd Lickliter.
Or USI as they transition to D1.

I do think Lander could transfer to a lesser P5 program as he does possess some natural ability, but he definitely needs to hit the reset button. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for everyone.

Tamar would be short-sighted given he would have every opportunity to start and be a contributing guard, but Lander once again would be buried two better PG's.
Forgive my ignorance on this, but is it believed Hood-Schifino will play point guard? I know he's a 6'5" guard, but I believe I've seen a few things about him potentially playing at the 1...

I have no idea of course but A guess
Trace - goes pro. Nba or europe.
Race - europe
Parker- Likely cant do nba or europe. Is their another league? Or moves on with life
Kopp- same as Parker
Durr same as Parker and Kopp. Due to size he may have backup value in Europe.
Leal stays
Lander- not sure but I think stays. If he leaves I think it is for playing time and a lesser conference
X stays ( I think).
Bates stays ( I think)
Duncomb - not sure. Zero playing tome this year. Talent? Just needed time? Race trace ahead of him?
Transfers - Is five three point guys too many too ask for?

I do think Lander could transfer to a lesser P5 program as he does possess some natural ability, but he definitely needs to hit the reset button. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for everyone.
I thought it was fascinating to see the recruiting services keep his 5-star status even after reclassifying to the 2020 class. Leaving Reitz High School early to play for Archie was a mistake that cost him dearly in my opinion.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but is it believed Hood-Schifino will play point guard? I know he's a 6'5" guard, but I believe I've seen a few things about him potentially playing at the 1...
He can play PG, but he's not running the show next year if Xavier comes back.

Regardless, we're in a day in age in basketball where all 3 guards need to be exceptional ballhandlers. I thought our best stretch of basketball all year came in the BTT when Xavier, Phinisee, and Galloway were all on the court together which is no coincidence as those three were the best ballhandlers on the team.

He can play PG, but he's not running the show next year if Xavier comes back.

Regardless, we're in a day in age in basketball where all 3 guards need to be exceptional ballhandlers. I thought our best stretch of basketball all year came in the BTT when Xavier, Phinisee, and Galloway were all on the court together which is no coincidence as those three were the best ballhandlers on the team.
Good point. I would love to see the potential of Bates and Hood-Schifino playing together, especially if Bates has an improved three-point shot.

Reactions: kkott
I almost wonder if Lander could end up going back home to play at Evansville for Todd Lickliter.

There will also be a new coaching staff at Ball State. I've heard former IU standout Mike Lewis is in the running for that job. Lander could end up there as well.
both would be better options for the kid than sitting there watching games in Btown from the bench for another yr.

I'd be shocked if Lander returns. Durr I think stays, but who knows.
I think Durr's plan was to come and have a starting spot after TJD moves on, but it sure seems to have been a rough season for him and doesn't feel like he and CMW see eye to eye. I think both he and Lander will move on.

Lickliter is as good as gone at UE.

If he possibly looks at USI..... he has to remember the 4 year exclusion from NCAA T for 4 years.

Curt Hopf is experiencing this right now at Bellarmine. They are in their 2nd year of exclusion and they won
their ASUN Conference championship.... but can't play in the Big Dance due to the 4 year rule.

If USI goes D1...... Lander has no chance in Playing in anymore NCAA Tourney's.

Personally... I don't think Lander will go to USI. Just my 2 cents... not intended to discredit your comment Coach

If he possibly looks at USI..... he has to remember the 4 year exclusion from NCAA T for 4 years.

Curt Hopf is experiencing this right now at Bellarmine. They are in their 2nd year of exclusion and they won
their ASUN Conference championship.... but can't play in the Big Dance due to the 4 year rule.

If USI goes D1...... Lander has no chance in Playing in anymore NCAA Tourney's.

Personally... I don't think Lander will go to USI. Just my 2 cents... not intended to discredit your comment Coach
It's certainly a possibility that it plays a factor, but anyone transferring down from a high major to a low major can't value the NCAAT as much given the only shot to make it is winning the conference tournament. You're transferring down for playing time and a more expansive role.

Reactions: Tscurlo
They'll be a surprise one leaving ..Watch..
Phinesse..I'm not in love to see him back..
He's had his chances long enough..Better upgrades in the portal over him..
I'd like at lest 3 good potal guy's..
Woodson and his staff have to be much better on the portal this year ..

Interesting to see consensus that Parker and Kopp are both gone, as well as speculation that coach W wants to move on from them.

I’ll fade that and say there is a 75% chance one returns and 50% chance they both come back. And I think they are wanted back by the staff.

He’s an idiot. JG is who I would worry about transferring. Hopefully last few weeks make him want to stay.
I think he has the potential to be an All-B10 player next year. Of the players most likely to return next year, he's by far the most important component in my opinion. Obviously TJD returning would be huge, but I think Geronimo is paramount.

Reactions: Sassy61
They'll be a surprise one leaving ..Watch..
Phinesse..I'm not in love to see him back..
He's had his chances long enough..Better upgrades in the portal over him..
I'd like at lest 3 good potal guy's..
Woodson and his staff have to be much better on the portal this year ..
The one certainty is Woodson and staff *have* to bring in one -- if not two -- legitimate three-point shooting threats. I'd prefer to see them come from other major conference teams as well.

And you think Duncomb can play..?
That kid is maybe a MAC player ..At best..
Based on what? Duncomb was always going to be a developmental player and big men by far take the longest time to develop. I can't count how many times over the years I've watched some no name Wisconsin big do nothing as an underclassmen only to develop into a star. Purdue does it almost every year as well.

I think he has the potential to be an All-B10 player next year. Of the players most likely to return next year, he's by far the most important component in my opinion. Obviously TJD returning would be huge, but I think Geronimo is paramount.
Geronimo's potential is out of this world. I truly believe he's the next OG Anunoby.

Reactions: Sassy61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT