ADVERTISEMENT

'22-23 roster

Geronimo's potential is out of this world. I truly believe he's the next OG Anunoby.
Biggest difference..
O.G. could put it on the floor..
J.G. is a catch a shoot guy at the moment..
We'll see if his game expands..
Lots of potential there ..For sure !

The one certainty is Woodson and staff *have* to bring in one -- if not two -- legitimate three-point shooting threats. I'd prefer to see them come from other major conference teams as well.
Without a doubt given none of the returning players are lights out three point shooters. We have to have at least one legit three point threat or it is going to be a long year given we will have no TJD to bail us out.

Biggest difference..
O.G. could put it on the floor..
J.G. is a catch a shoot guy at the moment..
We'll see if his game expands..
Lots of potential there ..For sure !
OG had a much higher bball IQ, and a much better passer. You can tell he grew up around basketball fundamentals. Geronimo is almost working backwards to get fundamentals.

Without a doubt given none of the returning players are lights out three point shooters. We have to have at least one legit three point threat or it is going to be a long year given we will have no TJD to bail us out.
Miller Kopp only shot 33% as a junior at Northwestern last season. I had my doubts about his shooting ability based on that stat alone, and my suspicions were confirmed. I would love to see a guy brought in who averaged at minimum 38% from three.

You have to think there will be guys out there with that type of shooting ability who would view IU's desperate need for shooting as a hell of an opportunity to shine on a big stage.

I’ve never blogged lol. I do exactly what you do except I paid our athletes money and have much more information about our program than you.
Glad you know their favorite pizza toppings etc because it’s obvious your knowledge of basketball is limited.

Keep up the good work 👍

I’ve never blogged lol. I do exactly what you do except I paid our athletes money and have much more information about our program than you.
If you are getting information from players that you pay it’s possible that some of that information should be taken with a grain of salt. They may view their relationship with you quite differently than you do.

The changes I predict:

-TJD gets drafted in the second round
-Thompson gone
-Stewart gone
-Durr gone
-Lander transfers
-We get a transfer NBA prospect center

Starters:
Johnson
Galloway
Kopp
Geronimo
Transfer Center

Bench:
Bates
Banks
Dubcomb
Hood-Schifano
Phinisee
Leal
Gunn

Reactions: HillzHoozier
The changes I predict:

-Thompson gone
-Stewart gone
-Durr gone
-Lander transfers

Starters:
Johnson
Galloway
Kopp
Geronimo
Transfer Center

Bench:
Bates
Banks
Dubcomb
Hood-Schifano
Phinisee
Leal
Gunn
If Kopp is on the roster next season, let alone starts, I will have a difficult time watching.

He was brought in for shooting and did not provide that this season.

If Kopp is on the roster next season, let alone starts, I will have a difficult time watching.

He played because he is our only true wing. Hopefully Banks can beat him out, but I don’t see how you get rid of him.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Miller Kopp only shot 33% as a junior at Northwestern last season. I had my doubts about his shooting ability based on that stat alone, and my suspicions were confirmed. I would love to see a guy brought in who averaged at minimum 38% from three.

You have to think there will be guys out there with that type of shooting ability who would view IU's desperate need for shooting as a hell of an opportunity to shine on a big stage.
The problem was as always people in the summer built up expectations for Kopp and Stewart which proved to be totally unrealistic. Big things were expected from both if you remember posts from last summer and fall. I include myself in this but learned my lesson to quit hyping up players before they have ever played a game in an IU uniform.

That would be very hard to stomach honestly. Kopp is Evan Fitzner 2.0 and he is not suddently going to improve before next year.

Reactions: Champs1976
The problem was as always people in the summer built up expectations for Kopp and Stewart which proved to be totally unrealistic. Big things were expected from both if you remember posts from last summer and fall. I include myself in this but learned my lesson to quit hyping up players before they have ever played a game in an IU uniform.
What unrealistic expectations were put on Kopp and Stewart? Seriously? You talk so far out of your ass and frankly I'm sick of it. Start linking quotes of the unrealistic expectations put on Kopp and Stewart? Most, if not all the posters I recall simply expected Kopp and Stewart to be serviceable which isn't unrealistic given their age and experience. IU is a top 25 team this year if Kopp and Stewart were simply serviceable, which isn't a huge ask given their performances at previous stops.

I think Durr's plan was to come and have a starting spot after TJD moves on, but it sure seems to have been a rough season for him and doesn't feel like he and CMW see eye to eye. I think both he and Lander will move on.
I'm not sure what to think about Durr. He needs a lot of coaching, but he has shooting and passing skills. His defense the last several times he's played has been weak, though, and he needs to play with his hands up because he isn't quick catching the ball. But he didn't show enough this year to rule out him being invited to leave.

I'm guilty of having hyped up Tamar Bates as a potential one-and-done player before he had played a single minute for Mike Woodson. That's not to say he won't improve, but like you said, it's important to temper expectations and see how things play out once the ball is tipped in November.

I'm guilty of having hyped up Tamar Bates as a potential one-and-done player before he had played a single minute for Mike Woodson. That's not to say he won't improve, but like you said, it's important to temper expectations and see how things play out once the ball is tipped in November.
I mostly learned my lesson after the failed Movement class but still this last summer found myself thinking Kopp and Stewart were the answer to all our three point problems. I should have realized sinking threes in the big ten in much differnt than at UT Martin. And now that you mention it I do remembe lots of discussion about Bates at the very least being a starter. So I am totally going to temper expections for Hodd next year. Just because he is a five star it has been proven does not translate into instance success always.

I mostly learned my lesson after the failed Movement class but still this last summer found myself thinking Kopp and Stewart were the answer to all our three point problems. I should have realized sinking threes in the big ten in much differnt than at UT Martin. And now that you mention it I do remembe lots of discussion about Bates at the very least being a starter. So I am totally going to temper expections for Hodd next year. Just because he is a five star it has been proven does not translate into instance success always.
Agreed. After last night's fiasco, my only expectation for next season's team is to finish in the top half of the Big Ten and make the NCAA Tournament. There's no evidence available to expect anything beyond that.

The changes I predict:

-Thompson gone
-Stewart gone
-Durr gone
-Lander transfers

Starters:
Johnson
Galloway
Kopp
Geronimo
Transfer Center

Bench:
Bates
Banks
Dubcomb
Hood-Schifano
Phinisee
Leal
Gunn
I agree with this, except Phinisee moves on too, adding a transfer shot maker.

Rob publicly stated he had given some thought to using the free covid year to return next season. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing for Woodson as well. The emotion we saw in Rob in the locker room video after hitting the winning shot against Purdue in Bloomington when Woodson said "I'm in your corner" is all you need.

It would not surprise me to see either Tamar or Khristian pack it up and head elsewhere. I think that would be a shortsighted decision, but they're free to do as they please.
Rob has to be offered back for extra year. Going to depend how transfer recruiting goes.

Rob has to be offered back for extra year. Going to depend how transfer recruiting goes.
He had a nice game against Purdue but for the most part he is what he has always been. I think we can probably upgrade in the transfer portal if things go our way.

He had a nice game against Purdue but for the most part he is what he has always been. I think we can probably upgrade in the transfer portal if things go our way.
He's a solid back up PG who plays good defense. Not sure you're going to get a bunch a 15 ppg scorers clamoring for a backup role in the portal and play the role as selflessly as Phinisee.

Lander has had knee issues all year I believe, otherwise probably would have seen more time, especially with Phin's injuries. As such he might not be as disappointed about lack of minutes as some seem to think.

Tamar's lack of playing time was really about defense and if he views it the same way, he likewise might not be disappointed about lack of minutes, especially if he thinks he can improve in that area.

I think TJD and Race are a package deal, either both leave or both stay.

I think Stewart is done playing. I think he transferred to finish up a degree and get one more complete year on the court after the death of his father.

Kopp/Durr might be in a situation where they either stay or are done with basketball. After already transferring once, I believe they'd need to sit out a year. Plus, if they did that, they would count against a team's scholarship limit next year which would substantially reduce any interest they would get if they want to transfer.

Lander has had knee issues all year I believe, otherwise probably would have seen more time, especially with Phin's injuries. As such he might not be as disappointed about lack of minutes as some seem to think.

Tamar's lack of playing time was really about defense and if he views it the same way, he likewise might not be disappointed about lack of minutes, especially if he thinks he can improve in that area.

I think TJD and Race are a package deal, either both leave or both stay.

I think Stewart is done playing. I think he transferred to finish up a degree and get one more complete year on the court after the death of his father.

Kopp/Durr might be in a situation where they either stay or are done with basketball. After already transferring once, I believe they'd need to sit out a year. Plus, if they did that, they would count against a team's scholarship limit next year which would substantially reduce any interest they would get if they want to transfer.
The one time transfer waiver applies to undergrads. You're allowed to transfer once as an undergrad without penalty but can also transfer out as a grad student. I believe this would apply to Kopp and Durr.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
There's no way to predict transfers, but in my estimation, this is what next season's roster will look like:

- Xavier Johnson
- Rob Phinisee
- Anthony Leal
- Jordan Geronimo
- Trey Galloway
- Khristian Lander
- Logan Duncomb
- Tamar Bates
- CJ Gunn
- Jalen Hood-Schifino
- Kaleb Banks
- Transfer Shooter
- Transfer Big

I don't see any way Woodson hangs on to Miller Kopp or Parker Stewart. Jackson-Davis will chase his NBA dreams. Race Thompson will move on after five years. Michael Durr will move on.

Thoughts?
Yeah, got lots of thoughts. (No Trayce == No Race == (we get a Jess Settles even if we don't want it) ? 1:0); So there's one thought. I think we would be forced to be better without them both and end the AM era, keep them as they have displayed. I'm kind of a fan favorite of Rob although he's typically injured or does nothing, but he should keep around until he enters jess settles territory

Last edited:

He was 36% overall career at NW....which isn't the biggest issue, which is that you can time his release time by hour glass.

Fair enough, but he's a 27% 3FG shooter ... in high school.
I know...he really doesn't shoot much at all, at least from outside...for now...he's on the #1 team in the land, so loaded they have future NBA prospects sitting on the bench. His main job this yr is to distribute and be the one player willing to play perimeter defense.

Where he plays right now can hardly be called 'high school'. At least not compared to what I remember as 'high school'. It's a sports factory.

Reactions: asindc and gmhowes
The changes I predict:

-Thompson gone
-Stewart gone
-Durr gone
-Lander transfers

Starters:
Johnson
Galloway
Kopp
Geronimo
Transfer Center

Bench:
Bates
Banks
Dubcomb
Hood-Schifano
Phinisee
Leal
Gunn
That's only 12...throw in transfer shooter

Yeah, got lots of thoughts. (No Trayce == No Race == (we get a Jess Settles even if we don't want it) ? 1:0); So there's one thought. I think we would be forced to be better without them both and end the AM era, keep them as they have displayed. I'm kind of a fan favorite of Rob although he's typically injured or does nothing, but he should keep around until he enters jess settles territory
no more Rob, please.

The changes I predict:

-Thompson gone
-Stewart gone
-Durr gone
-Lander transfers

Starters:
Johnson
Galloway
Kopp
Geronimo
Transfer Center

Bench:
Bates
Banks
Dubcomb
Hood-Schifano
Phinisee
Leal
Gunn
No Kopp please especially as a starter. Time for the a relationship sereration as it did not work out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT