ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Recruiting Notebook - Feb 11

Indiana is coming off of a demoralizing loss to Northwestern on Tuesday in which 5 players were suspended.

On Thursday, Mike Woodson said all 5 will 'be available to play' on Saturday against Michigan State. Obviously that is a big help for an IU team that was very burnt out towards the end of the Northwestern matchup.

A lot of people have discussed the starting lineup and today Mike Woodson addressed that with a lot more openness than he had previously.

On potentially Trey Galloway starting: 'He's been fantastic... it's a thought. We will have to make that decision after practice today to see where we are. But he's done well enough to push for that.'

I'm not 100% sure if a lineup change will happen, but this would be the time to do so, so it wouldn't surprise me.

As many of you would assume, IU assistant coach Dane Fife has the scout/gameplan for this weekend's game. He spent 10 seasons under Tom Izzo before coming back to IU.

Mike Woodson Q&A:

---

As for recruiting, the biggest development over the last week + has been the recruitment of 2023 Memorial (OH) big man Austin Parks. He announced that he will make his college decision this Sunday. His top three is Indiana, Ohio State and West Virginia.

Parks has visited OSU and IU multiple times.

As of now, things seem to be pointing to him staying in state and heading to Ohio State.

Indiana and Ohio State have always been the top programs for Parks but the home school pull seems to be a lot to overcome in this one.

--

As for as other potential 2023 big men, there is one name that IU has been 'involved' with. That is 6-foot-10 Colorado Prep forward Baye Ndongo. Indiana has seen him in person earlier this year.

He currently has offers from Penn State, Washington State, Arizona State, Colorado, New Mexico, Providence and more.

He's originally from Senegal and is a very athletic big. He is a terrific shot blocker and rebounder and finishes well around the rim. Pretty smart player who knows how to utilize his skillset and the best ways to attack a defense. His touch in the mid range game is very good and can stretch out to the three-point line. Overall, rim-runner, athleticism and high-motor are the three ways to describe Ndongo.

We will see how involved IU gets moving forward, especially since the Hoosiers are in a need for big men.

Login to view embedded media
---

Rivals released their updated 2022, 2023 and 2024 rankings this week.

The biggest news was the jumps Jalen Hood-Schifino and Gabe Cupps made. Hood-Schifino moved from No. 20 to No. 16 and is now a five-star prospect. Cupps moved up from No. 141 to No. 125 in the 2023 class and is now a four-star.

Both players have been tremendous this season and deserved the rise in the rankings.

Other IU commits, 2022 forward Kaleb Banks moved down a few from No. 121 to No. 126. 2023 commit Jakai Newton dropped from No. 43 to No. 46. 2022 guard CJ Gunn remains unranked.

A big riser in the class of 2023 was IU target and forward Coen Carr. The South Carolina prospect was unranked and jumped all the way to No. 68 overall in the class.

2023 five-star forward KJ Evans dropped one stop to No. 5. 2023 four-star forward Xavier Booker dropped just one stop to No. 38 overall.

Full 2022 list:

Full 2023 list:

Full 2024 list:

--

Other notes...

Trayce Jackson-Davis was named to the Naismith Trophy Player of the Year Midseason Team.

Kyler got a chance to see CJ Gunn again in person earlier this week against Carmel. Gunn had 27 points in a seven-point loss.

Here is some video from the game:

Here is a recent article on Frederica Academy (Ga) 2024 forward William Jobe. Jobe is a 6-foot-9 stretch forward who has been to Indiana on a visit. The family is a big IU family.

Long way to go in his recruitment but Indiana is definitely a program heavily involved.

More background on Jobe:

U of L Forum Board thinks Kelvin Sampson is their savior

Yes, unbelievable but folks on their Forum Board think Sampson's coaching style would be the best fit for them. Indeed he would, a Cheating coach for a cheating program. All the praises and glory about Mack is out the window and it's all Mack's fault for how the U of L team has been left in total disarray and an embarrassment on the floor these day's. Not a word about all the damage that Pitino did with the $$$ being paid to players and the loss of their mighty 2013 Chanpeenship being taken away by a cheating/sending Hookers in to party with the players.
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Mike Woodson on Trey Galloway + Starting lineup

We spoke with Mike Woodson this morning and he had some much more open comments about the starting unit.

"I’ll make a decision about our starting lineup, but yesterday’s practice was good all things considering what happened at Northwestern."

On Galloway potentially starting: 'He's been fantastic... it's a thought. We will have to make that decision after practice today to see where we are. But he's done well enough to push for that.'

Friday Funnies

A woman walks into a pharmacy one day and says to the pharmacist, “I’d like a poison that’ll kill my husband but make it look like he died of natural causes.”

The pharmacist says, “Ma’am, not only can I not do that for you, I’m going to have to call the police and report you.”

The woman takes out something out of her pocket and hands it to him. He looks at it and sees that it’s a picture of her husband making love to the pharmacist’s wife.

The pharmacist says, “Oh, you should have told me you had a prescription.”

and a chick....

f2751-13258953_129533770787249_2040724799_n.jpg

Indiana announces all five suspended players will be available on Saturday

Per Indiana;

Indiana University men's basketball coach Mike Woodson has announced that the five players disciplined on Tuesday against Northwestern will be available to play on Saturday at Michigan State.

Freshman Tamar Bates, Sr./Jr. Michael Durr, Sr./Jr. Xavier Johnson, So./Fr. Khristian Lander and Sr./Jr. Parker Stewart did not play against the Wildcats.

"It's important that all team rules are followed and a curfew applies to everyone in our program for a reason," said Woodson. "It will be my decision to determine what role each one will have moving forward."

Story:

Lock him up! Clogging the White House crapper...

So IIRC, the origin for the entire "Lock her up" movement including chants at Trump rallies and even Q pop sensation (and admitted, but pardoned criminal) Mikey Flynn leading a rendition at the 2016 RNC, was the charge that HRC had transferred classified documents to her private email server. According to Flynn that amounted to reckless behavior and was an example of a Presidential candidate thinking she was "above the law"... In case you need a refresher...

And here's Trump speaking to a crowd in AZ Oct of 2018 discussing "Crooked Hillary" and all her emails, and lamenting the fact that the DOJ is not doing their job, and prosecuting her. Because apparently she feels the law does not apply to her...

Now again, this is Trump flexing his political "muscle" in AZ, 2 weeks or so before the 2018 midterms. I imagine the goal was to get Martha McSally elected to fill the seat of Jeff Flake (who Trump despised), but as usual with Trump he basically motivated the opposition and AZ elected their first Dem Senator of the 21st Century.

Now even though that's Sinema and she's more of a DINO, she is still not as much of a disaster for Dems as McSally would have been. But the main takeaway from Trump's speech and a whole series of occasions of him attacking HRC over the emails thruout the years, is the irony that he may soon find himself on the wrong side of a DOJ investigation into improper dealing with classified documents...

Now I know of one person who was very upset with HRC's emails who will be equally as upset with Trump's handling of secret documents as well. It was a huge problem for Aloha, but I feel pretty certain Aloha will not display hypocrisy on the issue, and will be just as upset with Trump for carrying documents that were in fact Govt property to Mar A Lago. Aloha is consistent, and he isn't a Trump sycophant like Flynn and others who will either ignore Trump's recklessness, or try to make distinctions. Those of you who fall into that category may want to skip this thread, rather than have your hypocrisy revealed.

But more than anything I just wanted to make a post pointing out that plumbers have gone on record discussing having to remove wads of torn up papers from the White House toilets. If it was a delegated duty to do the flushing (rather than Trump himself), then my money is on Gym Jordan. Just seems an appropriate role for him for some reason...

Cavanaugh still around?

I’ve been on a vacation for a few months so haven’t been here to see if that Cavanaugh guy has been around to face the music. I heard his criticism of Romeo for 3 years and heard all summer and fall that Bates was going to be much better as a freshman. Let’s compare.

Romeo:
16.5 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.3 apg
45% FG%

Bates:
4.0 ppg
1.1 rpg
0.7 apg
35% FG%

Romeo averaged the 3rd most points as a freshman in IU history (with a hurt wrist). He was 2nd team All Big Ten and #14 draft pick. I’m not criticizing Bates at all, seems like a good kid and could have a good career. But he’s further away from Romeo Langford than Romeo is from Michael Jordan.

So I’m just wondering if Cavanaugh is around to face the music and maybe tone down his Romeo hatred and guarantees from now on.
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

More thoughts on Tuesday's suspensions....

Curfew violation. Ok... Take deep breaths everyone. I know they're on scholarship and they're getting a free education and yada yada yada... but once again I'll say we were all young and stupid at one point. Some of us are older and stupider. I'm thrilled CMW took a stand and showed everyone he's the boss . We can really be elite and NOT be Duke, Ky, Louisville, UNC, etc... But in the end it was a curfew violation. Even if they snuck out of their rooms at night to visit Chitown for a bit. I think of the crap I did during my years at IU.... and then I think if had been a BMOC like these guys are... let's just say that diploma might not be hanging on my wall. Let's buckle down now and beat the hell out of that whiny faced disgusting poor excuse for a decent human up in Lansing.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT