ADVERTISEMENT

U of L Forum Board thinks Kelvin Sampson is their savior

MsgMills

Recruit
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, unbelievable but folks on their Forum Board think Sampson's coaching style would be the best fit for them. Indeed he would, a Cheating coach for a cheating program. All the praises and glory about Mack is out the window and it's all Mack's fault for how the U of L team has been left in total disarray and an embarrassment on the floor these day's. Not a word about all the damage that Pitino did with the $$$ being paid to players and the loss of their mighty 2013 Chanpeenship being taken away by a cheating/sending Hookers in to party with the players.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
His record is 667-333. He can coach the game. At 66 would he make the move? He would make UofL a contender immediately. Seems like a move the IU-loathing Basketball Gods would be all over.
Didn’t realize he’s 66. You can bet your bottom dollar he wants the job.

Phone calls and paying players are legal now. In fact, a player could get an NIL deal advertising “whores for your dorm parties” and the NCAA and SCOTUS would begrudgingly say “young atheletes making bucks is good.” And in a bunch of states, they can do “legal weed” commercials.

Curfew is about the only left a coach can discipline you for. At least until players form a union.

Didn’t realize he’s 66. You can bet your bottom dollar he wants the job.
I do think it's a natural fit, but I wouldn't be certain. He's coached in the NBA and he might be able to get interviews there depending on the jobs that open. NBA gigs are viewed as preferable by most coaches: better travel, no problems with the NCAA, admin, boosters and most of all no recruiting! At his age, he may find that preferable for a few years before retiring.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Phone calls and paying players are legal now. In fact, a player could get an NIL deal advertising “whores for your dorm parties” and the NCAA and SCOTUS would begrudgingly say “young atheletes making bucks is good.” And in a bunch of states, they can do “legal weed” commercials.

Curfew is about the only left a coach can discipline you for. At least until players form a union.
This is the wild Wild West stage. The NCAA is out of the enforcement business.

there will be a salary cap at some point

Yes, unbelievable but folks on their Forum Board think Sampson's coaching style would be the best fit for them. Indeed he would, a Cheating coach for a cheating program. All the praises and glory about Mack is out the window and it's all Mack's fault for how the U of L team has been left in total disarray and an embarrassment on the floor these day's. Not a word about all the damage that Pitino did with the $$$ being paid to players and the loss of their mighty 2013 Chanpeenship being taken away by a cheating/sending Hookers in to party with the players.

We need to shed this antiquated attitude. It's the single biggest problem we have.

What is so unbelievable about it the guy can flat out coach and made the final four last year. Alot of schools have zero ethics so hiring a guy like him is a no brainer to them. They only care about winning period look at Auburn they hire a sleezeball but you think they care they are a top five team. Sampson is proof you can be a slimeball and get the last laugh in bbal. While we are still struggling from his mess he was making final fours.

i am pretty sure IU could have hired Scott Drew if they wanted but likely character was an issue.

2017–18Houston27–814–4T–2ndNCAA Round of 32
2018–19Houston33–416–21stNCAA Sweet 16
2019–20Houston23–813–5T–1stNCAA canceled*
2020–21Houston28–414–32ndNCAA Final Four
2021–22Houston0–00–0
Houston:167–64 (.723)85–40 (.680)
Total:667–333 (.667)

What is so unbelievable about it the guy can flat out coach and made the final four last year. Alot of schools have zero ethics so hiring a guy like him is a no brainer to them. They only care about winning period look at Auburn they hire a sleezeball but you think they care they are a top five team. Sampson is proof you can be a slimeball and get the last laugh in bbal. While we are still struggling from his mess he was making final fours.

i am pretty sure IU could have hired Scott Drew if they wanted but likely character was an issue.

2017–18Houston27–814–4T–2ndNCAA Round of 32
2018–19Houston33–416–21stNCAA Sweet 16
2019–20Houston23–813–5T–1stNCAA canceled*
2020–21Houston28–414–32ndNCAA Final Four
2021–22Houston0–00–0
Houston:167–64 (.723)85–40 (.680)
Total:667–333 (.667)
If I'm 66 winning 72% in Houston and making FF runs, why would I want to build another program from ashes?

Reactions: Warison
Correct most schools do not have the we are holier than thou attitude IU does. They have zero issue hiring a guy like Sampson or Bruce Pearl.
I've never seen this as an either/or thing -- it's more a matter of degrees.

The "we do it the right way" culture is pretty deeply ingrained in IU hoops. It was always one of the taglines of the program during the Knight years: we won, but we did it the right way. And it was absolutely something to be proud of.

But those days are long gone and they're never coming back. In fact, with recent developments, it's clearly moving in the other direction.

The Pearls, Caliparis, Selfs, and Sampsons of the world are the guys most often coming out on top. I don't like that anymore than anybody else does. But facts don't care about our feelings.

I've never seen this as an either/or thing -- it's more a matter of degrees.

The "we do it the right way" culture is pretty deeply ingrained in IU hoops. It was always one of the taglines of the program during the Knight years: we won, but we did it the right way. And it was absolutely something to be proud of.

But those days are long gone and they're never coming back. In fact, with recent developments, it's clearly moving in the other direction.

The Pearls, Caliparis, Selfs, and Sampsons of the world are the guys most often coming out on top. I don't like that anymore than anybody else does. But facts don't care about our feelings.
Yep most schools simply do not care about doing it the right way anymore. Notice how players bascially never get kicked off teams anymore? Heck it seemed like Knight was kicking one or two guys of per year sometimes. It seems a school like Wisconsin right now is about as close to doing it the right way and winning is all I can think of. The media thinks Izzo is some sort of a great guy but I think he is as shady as they come.

Yep most schools simply do not care about doing it the right way anymore. Notice how players bascially never get kicked off teams anymore? Heck it seemed like Knight was kicking one or two guys of per year sometimes. It seems a school like Wisconsin right now is about as close to doing it the right way and winning is all I can think of. The media thinks Izzo is some sort of a great guy but I think he is as shady as they come.
Doing what’s right. Do you mean texting and phone calls?

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
He could make UofL an absolute beast.

• Haha
Reactions: MsgMills

I don’t know about whores but they could certainly market lap dancers. It’s a brand new world.

This is the wild Wild West stage. The NCAA is out of the enforcement business.

there will be a salary cap at some point
Is there transparency for what players get through NILs? And are there ways to contribute to IU without buying unwanted t-shirts? I guess we'll need to be sure IU's pay is commensurate.

Louisville needs a "Hall of Cheaters" where you can see real examples of just about every NCAA violation possible on display. Sampson will fit in just fine.

Reactions: MsgMills
It’s so amusing how many IU fans genuinely think Sampson is a terrible human being with no moral compass because he made too many phone calls. You can’t make this stuff up. And we sit around puffing our chests out like we’re morally superior while these other programs play in March and April. Just complete wackos.

It’s so amusing how many IU fans genuinely think Sampson is a terrible human being with no moral compass because he made too many phone calls. You can’t make this stuff up. And we sit around puffing our chests out like we’re morally superior while these other programs play in March and April. Just complete wackos.
Terrible human being is probably a stretch. The “too many phone calls” you mention were the least of his issues. Yes he knowingly broke the rules on multiple occasions for multiple universities. The real issue was he lied to both the NCAA and IU after he was found out. Additionally it was rumored (and by rumored I mean one of his players said) there was rampant drug use and Sampson knew about it but cared too much about winning to put a stop to it. So yeah, terrible human being might be a stretch but not by much.

Terrible human being is probably a stretch. The “too many phone calls” you mention were the least of his issues. Yes he knowingly broke the rules on multiple occasions for multiple universities. The real issue was he lied to both the NCAA and IU after he was found out. Additionally it was rumored (and by rumored I mean one of his players said) there was rampant drug use and Sampson knew about it but cared too much about winning to put a stop to it. So yeah, terrible human being might be a stretch but not by much.
Is that factual or just what IU told ESPN to write? Do you really think a group of druggies could finish 3rd in the B10 his first season then get to 22-4 (11-2) before he was fired the next season?

Too many phone calls?? Are you that unaware?

Reactions: Warison
You don't really get out much, huh?
No, I guess not. I was under the impression that teams at the top of the Big Ten have elite talent, intelligence, conditioning, and preparation. Hitting a joint a couple times a week doesn’t make them druggies just like the texts and phone calls doesn’t make Sampson a cheater. I don’t think Sampson was the right hire for the IU basketball brand, but he is a terrific coach.

No, I guess not. I was under the impression that teams at the top of the Big Ten have elite talent, intelligence, conditioning, and preparation. Hitting a joint a couple times a week doesn’t make them druggies just like the texts and phone calls doesn’t make Sampson a cheater. I don’t think Sampson was the right hire for the IU basketball brand, but he is a terrific coach.
I mean I really don’t want to argue but he knowingly broke the rules. The calls were against the rules and he knew it. He was by definition a cheater. Additionally he lied to both the University and the NCAA when he got caught.

He did get elite talent, in part through his cheating. He is a good coach. But he also cared more about winning than holding himself or his players accountable to the rules. You are free to like and root foe him. I despise him and people like him who will get ahead by any means necessary. To each their own.

Hitting a joint a couple times a week doesn’t make them druggies just like the texts and phone calls doesn’t make Sampson a cheater. I don’t think Sampson was the right hire for the IU basketball brand, but he is a terrific coach.
Fair enough. I agree with all of that.

Sampson was then and probably still is a very poor cultural fit for IU. He certainly has the chops though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT