ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

Hes not a goon, Hes a human being with a pituitary imbalance, no need for name calling.
Actually, depending on your definition, “goon” is not a terrible word. Google’s second definition of goon: a violent, aggressive person who is hired to intimidate or harm people.
There were also definitions alluding to a reduced intelligence: but isn’t that common knowledge about any purdue fan, student, athlete, Etc.? (Of course I am just trying to be humorous. I know that’s not true of ALL boilermakers).
And, IMO, I’d rather be called goon than boilermaker.
But Kurt, please correct me, if you have a meaning of goon (that didn’t make the first page of google) that is offensive To You.

He guards the rim and the area directly around the rim. Painter makes him drop on any action. Which is smart ... rims just don't draw many fouls and like him it doesn't move well .. guarding other players away from that area would expose him.

the counter to dropping him on every action is exploiting the hole he leaves at the top half of the paint... Like doing a hand off from TJD to Trey for wide open floaters, and JHS for open middy pull ups. I believe IU was 10 of 14 in that area yesterday +/- .. it's there in every game Edey plays, all day, every day.

He does though do a very good job walling up or contesting without fouling. All this bitching about him not being called for fouls isn't what anyone should be bitching about ... it's the ticky tacky shit he draws.
Yep, Painter does a good job of keeping him out of foul trouble by design. But Edey can also be exploited defensively due to his lack of lateral movement. Both JHS and Galloway hit a couple uncontested mid-range jump shots/floaters in the first half with Edey dropping coverage and Smith or Morton not being able to get through the ball screens. Towards the end of the half Edey started stepping up to hedge the ball screen to take away the jump shot but wasn't quick enough to recover and TJD had two easy dunks off lobs. He's a difference maker at the rim, what 7'4 guy isn't, but he's not a great overall individual defender.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Actually, depending on your definition, “goon” is not a terrible word. Google’s second definition of goon: a violent, aggressive person who is hired to intimidate or harm people.
There were also definitions alluding to a reduced intelligence: but isn’t that common knowledge about any purdue fan, student, athlete, Etc.? (Of course I am just trying to be humorous. I know that’s not true of ALL boilermakers).
But Kurt, please correct me, if you have a meaning of goon (that didn’t make the first page of google) that is offensive To You.

I guess you have never lived anywhere that has sub zero temperatures and relies on a boilermaker to make sure there is heat in the building.

Noooooo,

You responded that I was wrong about TJD and used the shot/hand as my error.

You keep digging yourself in deeper.

Try again.
Ok try this - here are some facts for you:

Nobody cares about what you think. IU won and played well - at least in the first half - they definitely had to have it because they aren’t winning at Mackey - in fact I predict it won’t be close.

Edey is player of the year and to say otherwise is just honestly ridiculous.

IU rushed the court which definitely shows which program is superior at the moment.

Gillis made a play on the ball, and while I get what TJD was trying to do for his teammate, would have gotten pummeled by Gillis.

TJD’s one move - the dunk - didn’t play well when he tried to dunk over Edey. That was hilarious and hasn’t been really discussed too much.

I’m not here rent free. I attended both schools and I love college hoops. These boards are supposed to be fun but a few on here have message board muscles and we all know what that really means 😆

I guess you have never lived anywhere that has sub zero temperatures and relies on a boilermaker to make sure there is heat in the building.
I have always called it a “heater”, but I wasn’t born in the 1800’s. I believe the purdue “boilermaker“ term comes from the 1800’s steam locomotive.
If it has changed to imply the boilermaker drink, (the actual composition of the drink is ok, but I personally refuse to drink something called a boilermaker), then I can understand the “sub-zero” reference.
The term boilermaker was chosen over rail splitter, blacksmiths and pumpkin shuckers. So boilermaker may not have been so bad.
Full disclosure: at least pu has a mascot. IMO, Hoosier is a term, but we’ve never really had a mascot. I’m in favor of a live BISON for football (similar to U col boulder- but appropriately called an American Bison) and model the mascot after col. u’s Buffy (not what IU had in the 60/70’s).

Nobody cares about what you think. IU won and played well - at least in the first half - they definitely had to have it because they aren’t winning at Mackey - in fact I predict it won’t be close.
opinion
will concede
IU rushed the court which definitely shows which program is superior at the moment.
opinion
Gillis made a play on the ball, and while I get what TJD was trying to do for his teammate, would have gotten pummeled by Gillis.
definitely an opinion
TJD’s one move - the dunk - didn’t play well when he tried to dunk over Edey. That was hilarious and hasn’t been really discussed too much.
Furthest thing from a fact that you've posted
I’m not here rent free. I attended both schools and I love college hoops. These boards are supposed to be fun but a few on here have message board muscles and we all know what that really means 😆
Lol

• Love
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Ok Bubba.

I will ignore the rest of your embittered obsessed BS here and stick to your last sobbing statement.

It is really simple.

With me you get what you give and it has always been that way. Want to come here and civilly talk sports? You are welcome and will get the same from me.

Want to come here and act the ass as most of your kind do?

You get the hose.

Want to step away for a few days and come back in a better mood with s shred of objectivity? I will accept it as long as it lasts.

I won't ho;d my breath, I have seen acts like yours hundreds of times.

Your move.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I have always called it a “heater”, but I wasn’t born in the 1800’s. I believe the purdue “boilermaker“ term comes from the 1800’s steam locomotive.
If it has changed to imply the boilermaker drink, (the actual composition of the drink is ok, but I personally refuse to drink something called a boilermaker), then I can understand the “sub-zero” reference.
The term boilermaker was chosen over rail splitter, blacksmiths and pumpkin shuckers. So boilermaker may not have been so bad.
Full disclosure: at least pu has a mascot. IMO, Hoosier is a term, but we’ve never really had a mascot. I’m in favor of a live BISON for football (similar to U col boulder- but appropriately called an American Bison) and model the mascot after col. u’s Buffy (not what IU had in the 60/70’s).
In urban areas during most of the 20th century most factories and multiple dwellings had coal fired boilers. My dad was a classmate of John Wooden’s and owned and operated a Boiler shop in Chicago for more than 30 years. He employed ten Boilermakers who were members of the Boilermakers Union.

Reactions: z_one
Ya. Students do. Most wish they'd stop.
100% false. All Purdue fans chant that. I’ve been to several Purdue football games in the last few years, and it’s definitely not just the student section.

Where's @arcb102000 for comedic relief when you need him? No show for 48 hours, he having trouble getting out of the trash can?
He’s too busy trying to convince their board that Painter should have pulled the team off the court after the bagel was thrown on the court. His reasoning was that it could have caused serious injury to a Purdue player and maybe even season ending injury.

As expected, they are laughing at him again.

He’s too busy trying to convince their board that Painter should have pulled the team off the court after the bagel was thrown on the court. His reasoning was that it could have caused serious injury to a Purdue player and maybe even season ending injury.

As expected, they are laughing at him again.
is that what is was? We never saw anything but then was this announcement about it.

You are way too optimistic claiming Edey is the inevitable player of the year, especially after the discussion in this thread by your fellow Purdue fan that Edey can't run fast enough to outrun IU down the floor after a shot.

If Edey wants to play pro ball (i.e. in the U.S., not Turkey or Israel), he simply has to learn how to transport his butt down the floor in less time. Right now, the slowest NBA player is far faster than Edey. Who's Edey gonna guard in the NBA if he's the last one down the floor?

But, here's part of his current pregame workout:

Looks to me that he's practicing being 7'4" and immobile within five feet of the basket. Come on Painter. Teach him to run, too.

In urban areas during most of the 20th century most factories and multiple dwellings had coal fired boilers. My dad was a classmate of John Wooden’s and owned and operated a Boiler shop in Chicago for more than 30 years. He employed ten Boilermakers who were members of the Boilermakers Union.
Really? How many on this board, less than 70 y.o., have ever “stoked a fire” in their basement (coal burning boiler?) I remember my grandmother still had a coal furnace in the 1950’s, but she converted to oil before 1960. So had most of America. And John Wooden attended Purdue 1928-32. So by “most of the 20th century”, you mean 1900-1960’s?
Were those 10 Boilermakers Purdue graduates? What did Boilermakers do for a living after most of America converted to oil or gas?
AND YES, Coal is still a huge source of energy to produce electricity, even USA. Does that mean Boilermakers can still find work?

Reactions: Fansince72
You are way too optimistic claiming Edey is the inevitable player of the year, especially after the discussion in this thread by your fellow Purdue fan that Edey can't run fast enough to outrun IU down the floor after a shot.

If Edey wants to play pro ball (i.e. in the U.S., not Turkey or Israel), he simply has to learn how to transport his butt down the floor in less time. Right now, the slowest NBA player is far faster than Edey. Who's Edey gonna guard in the NBA if he's the last one down the floor?

Looks to me that he's practicing being 7'4" and immobile within five feet of the basket. Come on Painter. Teach him to run, too.
His body and conditioning is much better than last year. His shot looks better as well, ie better free throws. But yes, comon Painter, help him get better... edey doesn't have the athletic gifts some have, but it's gotten a ton better.

Edey is the most dominant post man in the country as long as he stays within six feet of the basket.

His body and conditioning is much better than last year. His shot looks better as well, ie better free throws. But yes, comon Painter, help him get better... edey doesn't have the athletic gifts some have, but it's gotten a ton better.
Conversely, how many basketball players have played competitive hockey, baseball and basketball? Spud Webb was a remarkable basketball player. When has any player even been a candidate for NPOY in his fifth year of playing basketball? Put aside your biases and admit Zach Edey is an amazing young man who has developed his game beyond anybody in the games expectations including Matt Painter. TJD is an outstanding college basketball player.he was a highly recruited and extremely talented high school player. He has improved his game and surpassed all expectations Zach Edey was a tall kid who was unknown prior to spending one year at IMG and hardly played when he was there. If being tall was a recipe for NPOY there have been lots of 7 footers who never qualified including the brunt of many basketball jokes, Matt TenDam. What they will accomplish in the future is unknown. As of now the two best big men in the country performance wise, reside in Indiana.

Reactions: BoilerN
Pretty sure the correct answer isn't hook and hold his arm then spin him to the floor like a sack of potatoes.
Attached is a copy of an article that contains a video of the situation. Just google the headline to view the video. The video can be full-screened,

Boiler is definitely full of shit on this one. Not even clear the MSU guy fouled Edey. He had the inside position and is just reaching up for the ball. As you say, Edey did hook & hold, and ended up throwing the other guy to the ground. The guy's expression when he realizes the foul was called on him is pretty funny.

FILED UNDER:

The Big Ten Needs to Review How it Calls Fouls On Zach Edey, and Potentially All True Big Men​

During Purdue’s one point victory over MSU, 7’4” center Zach Edey threw Spartan center Mady Sissoko to the ground. The announcers cheered and the refs called Sissoko for the foul. A change is needed.

By BrandonBD Jan 16, 2023, 9:30pm CST
83 Comments / 83 New

• Haha
Reactions: George.Smalley
It’s a personal choice. About every top tier college player dreams of playing professionally and make a living playing basketball. The top league is the NBA and draws players worldwide. As far as proclaiming you don’t find the NBA entertaining, fans around the world disagree. if you don’t want to watch college players with an eye on their future professional possibilities, that’s okay.
I'm with Indy on this one. I'm glad you're ok with me not watching the NBA (Thanks!), as I could give two shits about it. Or about what "fans around the world" think. Edey & TJD are both great college players. I think TJD has played at a 1st team AA level the last 7 games or so. But Edey's still the more dominant college player. And his team has been more successful. I don't give a damn how Edey does in the pros. I'd like TJD to be successful based on all he's done at IU.

Attached is a copy of an article that contains a video of the situation. Just google the headline to view the video. The video can be full-screened,

Boiler is definitely full of shit on this one. Not even clear the MSU guy fouled Edey. He had the inside position and is just reaching up for the ball. As you say, Edey did hook & hold, and ended up throwing the other guy to the ground. The guy's expression when he realizes the foul was called on him is pretty funny.

FILED UNDER:

The Big Ten Needs to Review How it Calls Fouls On Zach Edey, and Potentially All True Big Men​

During Purdue’s one point victory over MSU, 7’4” center Zach Edey threw Spartan center Mady Sissoko to the ground. The announcers cheered and the refs called Sissoko for the foul. A change is needed.

By BrandonBD Jan 16, 2023, 9:30pm CST
83 Comments / 83 New
This wasn't even a debate assuming you understand the rules. Refs made a bad call and I am sure would call it corretly the next time. It happens

Both JHS and Galloway hit a couple uncontested mid-range jump shots/floaters in the first half with Edey dropping coverage
Yea, it was like 8/12 or 9/13 for those two in the hole Edey leaves when dropping, or under the basket. 10/14 in that area overall and when he contested the driver or was stuck in no man's land ..it ended with a lob and dunk .

Painter made a great move putting Edey on Race for awhile that slowed us down and took Edey away from the PnR. Woody made a brilliant counter bringing him back out by running PnR with Race... opening Fino up for more middies.

Basically, the gist of our offensive gameplan was exploiting Edey ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
opinion

will concede

opinion

definitely an opinion

Furthest thing from a fact that you've posted

Lol

Once again, you don’t understand the difference between a fact and an opinion. I thought you Purdue chicks were supposed to be smart.

79-74. Get those brooms ready for the sweep! PU sucks!

PU students say "IU sucks" every chance they get: that is how 'lil bro behaves.

Fact

Fact

IU. rushed the court which definitely shows which program is superior at the moment.

Fact

Gillis made a play on the ball, and while I get what TJD was trying to do for his teammate he wound have gotten pummeled by Gillis.

1000 percent. Gillis is the one guy on Purdue I wouldn’t **** with and that’s no joke

Fact

See it’s easy when you are debating fact vs opinion

Fact

Fact

IU. rushed the court which definitely shows which program is superior at the moment.

Fact

Gillis made a play on the ball, and while I get what TJD was trying to do for his teammate he wound have gotten pummeled by Gillis.

1000 percent. Gillis is the one guy on Purdue I wouldn’t **** with and that’s no joke

Fact

You still don’t see that some of those are opinions lol… jfc, you are dumb.

Fact

Fact

Fact

Fact

You're an idiot ...

I'll let the board decide if that is fact or opinion.

Jeez, the guy is a Canadian AND a Boilermaker. Horrible

When he first entered the US Manute Bol's passport listed him as like 6'2". The passport control officer asked him why his height was wrong. Manute answered that they didn't have a tape measure long enough so they measured him sitting down.

Well, you responded just as I predicted you would. You spineless weak-minded trolls are all the same.

Oh, and if your boy tried to “pummel” TJD…he would have been back in jail this time with a prior. He sure looked tough chirping at TJD once his boys got in front of him. TJD just snickered and walked away as the adult.

Nice work Ace.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT