ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
If needed, do the Hoosiers hack a shaq the big goon Edey? FTs are harder than dunks. I have no problem fouling out 2 guys who smack him across the wrists and arms 10 times!

Reactions: outlawyer
If needed, do the Hoosiers hack a shaq the big goon Edey? FTs are harder than dunks. I have no problem fouling out 2 guys who smack him across the wrists and arms 10 times!
They could employ the same tactic against Davis as well. If Duncomb is out who do we really have to even do that with his size? He may and up getting and ones

He along with the rest the Purdue team all shoot FT’s at a decent clip, so sending Purdue to the line early could be problematic. However, you absolutely play as physical as possible and make them call it. Force him to catch the ball going away from the basket and towards the perimeter. He doesn’t have the skill set to face up a defender. Also just have to pick and choose your battles. He’s going to score points and there’s going to be times he gets the ball in an unguardable position where you just have to concede the points, don’t compound a made basket with a foul.

You just have to double him up all game and pray they aren't hot from 3. That said, I see Purdue winning a blowout. This is a bad matchup.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I can see Davis getting in foul trouble quick if he is going to try blocking his shots . He has better elevation but 7-8 inches is a lot to give up in size

I think if IU comes to play and plays the way they did during the 5 game win streak, they are going to be tough to beat. If nobody shows up like the Maryland game, they will get their asses beat.

IU is going to have to do something to get PU out of its comfort zone: press, zone, double Edey, and mix up their coverages. IU is also going to have to have a good offensive game. Big Ten refs have let Edey get away with murder, but they are going to have to go at him and try to get him in foul trouble.

My biggest concern is how to utilize TJD on offense. They usually just park Edey under the basket to avoid fouls so that will limit easy drives to the hoop. This would be a great time for TJD to discover the mid-range shot from the lane & elbows.

My biggest concern is how to utilize TJD on offense. They usually just park Edey under the basket to avoid fouls so that will limit easy drives to the hoop. This would be a great time for TJD to discover the mid-range shot from the lane & elbows.
I thought so too but he came out last night. Had two blocks way out near the 3 point line.

He along with the rest the Purdue team all shoot FT’s at a decent clip, so sending Purdue to the line early could be problematic. However, you absolutely play as physical as possible and make them call it. Force him to catch the ball going away from the basket and towards the perimeter. He doesn’t have the skill set to face up a defender. Also just have to pick and choose your battles. He’s going to score points and there’s going to be times he gets the ball in an unguardable position where you just have to concede the points, don’t compound a made basket with a foul.
Coach…. I hope Malik R is reading your comment. He is the main one that I am concerned about, that needs to use discernment on when or not when to foul.
He’s a freshman and just prone to it. ☹️

It will hurt him for sure not shooting a jumper, and I don't expect he's changing now after 3.5 years. He's got to go at Edey and with his athleticism and mobility he can give him trouble. He can't worry about getting his shot blocked and take it at him. If he does that, it could be the first time this year Edey gets in foul trouble.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Have to get him in PnR and utilize the mid-range jump shot. Michigan State did this in their first meeting and because Walker was hitting the uncontested pull up at a high clip, Edey couldn't play drop coverage under the basket. Michigan State was able to isolate Edey on one of their guards multiple times and he scored a career high. JHS has that ability to make the 15 foot jump shot and pull Edey away from the basket. JHS and his ability to make shots will be one of the primary factors Saturday and will dictate what Edey does defensively.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Other than Edey, we match up well with them. They have good players, but just an above average team absent of Edey.
Agree Edey's the key, but they have good chemistry and while if he sits for significant minutes, I expect they might struggle, I think just normal breaks, they'll be fine. I really hate that XJ can't play. I thought he could really disrupt Smith. If I were CMW I think I'd challenge Gunn and bring him in for 5 minutes in the first half and say, " if you can hound Smith and disrupt their offense, (and not force any 3s!) you can buy yourself some 2nd half minutes too!". Pushing Edey out from his comfort range, going at Edey, hounding Smith all game, and making Loyer take tough shots and limiting turnovers would go a long way to winning the game. Do that, and if TJD is TJD and other guys score when they have the chance, we win.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Keys to the game

How is Edey called? Is he allowed to hack, forearm and walk or called fairly?

Is JG available to absorb some of it?

JHS and his on again off again shooting.

Will their two frosh guards grip or kill it trying to make a name for themselves in TAH

Which MR and TB shows up.

The X factor that always surfaces in one of these games

Keys to the game

How is Edey called? Is he allowed to hack, forearm and walk or called fairly?

Is JG available to absorb some of it?

JHS and his on again off again shooting.

Will their two frosh guards grip or kill it trying to make a name for themselves in TAH

Which MR and TB shows up.

The X factor that always surfaces in one of these games
The freshman are making a name for themselves just fine but your obsession with them coming in and playing well is obviously what you are most worried about

The freshman are making a name for themselves just fine but your obsession with them coming in and playing well is obviously what you are most worried about
Of course I am worried about them playing well in TAH. They would not be the first players that IU passed on that came in to make a statement on the big stage.

Hope this helps and great to see all you boilies living on our boards.

I think if IU comes to play and plays the way they did during the 5 game win streak, they are going to be tough to beat. If nobody shows up like the Maryland game, they will get their asses beat.

IU is going to have to do something to get PU out of its comfort zone: press, zone, double Edey, and mix up their coverages. IU is also going to have to have a good offensive game. Big Ten refs have let Edey get away with murder, but they are going to have to go at him and try to get him in foul trouble.
They equally let people murder him. MSU guy smoked him in the face, nothing. That's usually a review... it's far from one sided. I'm expecting a good, tough game. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch.

• Haha
Of course I am worried about them playing well in TAH. They would not be the first players that IU passed on that came in to make a statement on the big stage.

Hope this helps and great to see all you boilies living on our boards.
Maybe iu should offer more in-state players. It seems to be working well for Purdue.

If they call that foul when it'd supposed to be called, it doesn't escalate. Cisco was reaching through edeys body while edey had full controll of the ball.
So it’s cool that Edey hooked his arm and pulled him over his shoulder, because there may or may not have been a touch foul before? GTFOH. You guys still bitch about the hook and hold on Haas and Edey’s actions were far worse.

So it’s cool that Edey hooked his arm and pulled him over his shoulder, because there may or may not have been a touch foul before? GTFOH. You guys still bitch about the hook and hold on Haas and Edey’s actions were far worse.
What is edey supposed to do there when an MSU player is reaching through his body while he has control? Just stand there and take it? The rip was a little excessive, but it was a complete reach and, if called on time, edey doesn't have to try and rip the ball away from the msu player. The msu player had his arm in a spot where it shouldn't be and the correct call was made. The lateness made it look bad. It was 100% a foul on msu before edey. Like for real, what's edey supposed to do to get the msu player out from between his arms while edey has control. It was a clear reach.

Msu also smoked edey in the face on a dunk. Would get reviewed most of the time. Guessing you think that was clean as well.

What is edey supposed to do there when an MSU player is reaching through his body while he has control? Just stand there and take it? The rip was a little excessive, but it was a complete reach and, if called on time, edey doesn't have to try and rip the ball away from the msu player. The msu player had his arm in a spot where it shouldn't be and the correct call was made. The lateness made it look bad. It was 100% a foul on msu before edey.

Msu also smoked edey in the face on a dunk. Would get reviewed most of the time. Guessing you think that was clean as well.
The last few seconds of your msu game included an elbow to the face from Furst plus a forearm to the throat and walk from frankenboilie.

For the win.

The last few seconds of your msu game included an elbow to the face from Furst plus a forearm to the throat and walk from frankenboilie.

For the win.
It goes both ways. Funny you only see the missed calls from one side. If the call those fouls on edey for trying to turn with the ball above his head, I'm 100% putting Morton on trayce and looking for the same stuff.

What is edey supposed to do there when an MSU player is reaching through his body while he has control? Just stand there and take it? The rip was a little excessive, but it was a complete reach and, if called on time, edey doesn't have to try and rip the ball away from the msu player. The msu player had his arm in a spot where it shouldn't be and the correct call was made. The lateness made it look bad. It was 100% a foul on msu before edey. Like for real, what's edey supposed to do to get the msu player out from between his arms while edey has control. It was a clear reach.

There is no excuse for the rip through by Edey. Very dirty play. Sissoko is lucky to still be playing.

Of course, it wasn’t even reviewed, because the refs refuse to call fouls on Purdue.

It goes both ways. Funny you only see the missed calls from one side. If the call those fouls on edey for trying to turn with the ball above his head, I'm 100% putting Morton on trayce and looking for the same stuff.
How hypocritical. You also only see the fouls on one side.

I hope they do put Morton on TJD.

There is no excuse for the rip through by Edey. Very dirty play. Sissoko is lucky to still be playing.

Of course, it wasn’t even reviewed, because the refs refuse to call fouls on Purdue.
So what was edey, who had control, supposed to do to keep the ball from an msu player that was reaching in?

How hypocritical. You also only see the fouls on one side.

I hope they do put Morton on TJD.
I do? I've openly said they miss them both ways and if they start calling edey, they need to call the others as well. Can't call one and not the other. That's the opposite of hypocritical. If you didn't know that, now you do. Don't make shit up about me to call me stuff that's a lie.

• Haha
So what was edey, who had control, supposed to do to keep the ball from an msu player that was reaching in?
If you watch the replay again, you will see see that Edey has full control with his off arm. He did not need the entangled arm to control the ball. Just a dirty play.

I do? I've openly said they miss them both ways and if they start calling edey, they need to call the others as well. Can't call one and not the other. That's the opposite of hypocritical. If you didn't know that, now you do. Don't make shit up about me to call me stuff that's a lie.
Edey doesn’t get fouled.

You can’t honestly believe Purdue’s defensive FT rate is legit. 5% lower than any other team in the last 15 years. 8% lower than the current second place in the Big Ten in that category. A Purdue fan bitching about fouls is hilarious.

• Love
Edey doesn’t get fouled.

You can’t honestly believe Purdue’s defensive FT rate is legit. 5% lower than any other team in the last 15 years. 8% lower than the current second place in the Big Ten in that category. A Purdue fan bitching about fouls is hilarious.
I'm not bitching. I'm saying I'd you are going to call fouls on edey, call the arm bars, smacks to the face, pulling, pushing, hanging, etc. Players can't do that to TJD. Kaufman has been called for arms bars often. If you don't think edey gets fouled, you aren't watching. Anyways, I'm muting you for obvious reasons.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT