ADVERTISEMENT

Your new DC...

I'm having trouble getting excited about this hire but again, as with Bell, I'm assuming/hoping CTA knows what he's doing and that Wilt will bring immediate value to the coordinator role. Hopefully he's a quick study. After 2-10, we're not well-positioned to ease in a new hire who's on a long learning curve.

I know Wilt's been around, but I'd feel better if he had prior DC experience. I'm wondering if Rutgers came out ahead with their Minnesota pick.

Please tell me I have nothing to worry about.
Yeah that's what I was saying. Hard not to wonder who came out ahead. We will see. I think Rutgers fans probably feel better about their hire at this point.

Wilt has been around football his entire life his dad is a coach. Probably the reason he is moving to linebackers is because they may have targeted another d line guy. Also it is easier to coach and coordinate the defense from the linebacker position. He would be with lbs and dline in inside run drills. He would be with the secondary in 7 on 7 drills.

I know consistency within a program is important but I do like the excitement associated with coaching searches. I have been checking the board too frequently to see if any dl coach has been named.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Wilt has been around football his entire life his dad is a coach. Probably the reason he is moving to linebackers is because they may have targeted another d line guy. Also it is easier to coach and coordinate the defense from the linebacker position. He would be with lbs and dline in inside run drills. He would be with the secondary in 7 on 7 drills.
Doesn’t seem to be “set in stone” yet that he will coach LB

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I find it amazing that Minnesota fans are really upset about losing Wilt while our fans don’t think he’s good enough. Mind boggling.
He's an excellent defensive line coach. No one is questioning that. But he's coming over in a very different, and much more expansive, role.

Moving from coach of a position group to a coordinator is a very big leap. I was hoping for a guy with prior defensive coordinator experience, and I don't think there's anything mind-boggling about that. That said, I am hopeful and obviously want Wilt to succeed at IU.

I find it amazing that Minnesota fans are really upset about losing Wilt while our fans don’t think he’s good enough. Mind boggling.

There is a difference. They're mad about losing him as a position coach. The reason some people here don't think he's good enough is because he is now our DC, a position he has never held before.

If he was coming in as our DL coach, then I'm guessing everyone here would be happy about it. It's a gamble but he wasn't coming here without being DC.

He's an excellent defensive line coach. No one is questioning that. But he's coming over in a very different, and much more expansive, role.

Moving from coach of a position group to a coordinator is a very big leap. I was hoping for a guy with prior defensive coordinator experience, and I don't think there's anything mind-boggling about that. That said, I am hopeful and obviously want Wilt to succeed at IU.
It happens all of the time in the NFL - position coaches become coordinators, coordinators become head coaches

While I am excited about the hire it is not mind-boggling at all. Let me break it down another way. If you were banging a chick on the side that was a hottie but crazy your friends would support this action yet if you decided to marry then they would probably not be happy. So basically what I am saying is that they are upset about him leaving from a d-line coach standpoint while some here are upset from a DC standpoint. I highly doubt anyone would find a thing wrong with this hire if he came in as a d-line coach.

As the wise man says, "There are levels to this shit".

While I am excited about the hire it is not mind-boggling at all. Let me break it down another way. If you were banging a chick on the side that was a hottie but crazy your friends would support this action yet if you decided to marry then they would probably not be happy. So basically what I am saying is that they are upset about him leaving from a d-line coach standpoint while some here are upset from a DC standpoint. I highly doubt anyone would find a thing wrong with this hire if he came in as a d-line coach.

Please tell us more about banging the hot chick.

+ would not coaching LB's in a 4-2-5 be different at IU than other programs outside of fundamentals? Also IINM the Bull position being a hybrid DE falls under the LB Coach. That would be in the new DC's wheelhouse. I have 0 doubt about it Coach Allen has thought his plan through. I expect we'll soon understand.

+ would not coaching LB's in a 4-2-5 be different at IU than other programs outside of fundamentals? Also IINM the Bull position being a hybrid DE falls under the LB Coach. That would be in the new DC's wheelhouse. I have 0 doubt about it Coach Allen has thought his plan through. I expect we'll soon understand.

I'd guess there is a lot of overlap in learning how to coach DLs and how to coach LBs. Plus, he has been coaching for a while now so seems like he would have to have blinders on in order to not learn about how the rest of the defense works.

Last edited:
I would imagine the bulls would spend sometime with the d line learning pass rush technique and some time with linebacker or safety perhaps working pass drops and pass defense.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13

Not only does being the LB coach allow the DC to have more exposure to other units, but a lot of the technical LB drills can also be shifted to DL and S coaches as well. The DL coach can handle run drills with the DL and LBs, and the secondary coaches can handle coverage drills with LB/S/CBs leaving the DC with more flexibility during practice

A lot of talk about how Rutgers got the better of the hires here, but I fail to see how that is the case. It seems people are caught up on the fact that their guy was given what seems to be somewhat of a fluff "co-DC" title recently despite the fact that their long standing DC Joe Rossi has been running the ship and calling plays there well before that move was made and continued to do so afterward. At the end of the day, programs like IU and Rutgers are hiring position coaches, like it or not. Thats where we are as programs and what we can afford to do. It works just fine in the NFL, as was mentioned above. No reason to be discouraged by this hire, IMO.

The Bull position is coached by coach Teegardin.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Your analogy is revealing, but not as intended.

It happens all of the time in the NFL - position coaches become coordinators, coordinators become head coaches
Sure it does. It happens in college football, too. But IU's two best coordinator hires in at least the last 10 years (Kalen DeBoer and Tom Allen) had experience (and successful experience) as college coordinators. In my view, it's usually good to stick with what works.

Sure it does. It happens in college football, too. But IU's two best coordinator hires in at least the last 10 years (Kalen DeBoer and Tom Allen) had experience (and successful experience) as college coordinators. In my view, it's usually good to stick with what works.
What if no one ever gave Tom Allen a chance to be coordinator or Calen Deboer a chance to be a coordinator. Almost everyone starts as a position coach until someone gives them a chance.

What if no one ever gave Tom Allen a chance to be coordinator or Calen Deboer a chance to be a coordinator. Almost everyone starts as a position coach until someone gives them a chance.

There is always the option of letting the FCS schools take that chance and then steal their coordinator if they end up being good. No different then the powerhouses poaching coaches from schools like IU.

We can try to guess as to the reasoning for going with Wilt but obviously Tom wanted him. We can only wait and see if it works out. I would rather roll the dice with no experience than experience with bad results.

Agree, but …

Is the Big Ten East the best place to test out those wheels? And at a school not named Ohio State, Michigan or PSU?

If we want to win a championship, IU probably needs a DC with DC experience - catching lightning in a bottle with DeBoer and Wommack likely used up our luck.

But here’s to Wilt making it work!
raw

just being realistic. but how many minnesota fans have you heard from?

Maybe something else is happening. No guarantee Teegardin continues to coach the bull. One thought is that with a few pounds added in the weight room, Dasan McCulloch may be a fantastic bull at pass rushing and Wilt is taking the LBs and maybe bull too to maximize McCulloch?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT