ADVERTISEMENT

Your new DC...

Gotta believe this hire makes the DL choice at least a double maybe a triple. I'll bet Wilt grows fast in his DC responsibilities. Also from what has been written I still prefer Bell as QB Coach to Sheridan. Never thought DeBord mentoring NS was any advantage for IUFB. Debord's offense reminded me of room temperature milk poured over uncooked rice at a cooking contest when compared to the D Allen likes to field.

Last edited:
Bell can only be better than Sheridan as QB coach one would hope. I think most question Bell because of his lack of success at previous stops though.

Wilt is going to coach LBs, not DL. So we still are looking for a DL coach.

If Wilt is coaching LBs, then is Kasey Teegardin just going to be coaching Special Teams only?

Right now, Kasey is listed as Special Teams Coordinator / Outside Linebackers. I wouldn't imagine we would have an outside LB coach and an inside LB coach in a 4-2-5

Up until the announcement that Wilt would be coaching LBs I would have assumed he’d coach DL and Allen would hire someone like Raymond Woodie to coach LBs.

Interesting…wonder if he’s (Allen) looking at someone from Bama or Georgia (it would probably have to be one of their 364 “analysts” rather than one of their current actual coaches).

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
This looks like a great hire. Track record of success in both on the field performance as well as recruiting.

Minnesota's DL had a lot more sacks than their linebackers and secondary. Hopefully he can create schemes that make our DL more disruptive than they've been in year's past.

Now we hold our breath for the DC hire...
And, he will have more to work with than past DCs.

If Wilt is coaching LBs, then is Kasey Teegardin just going to be coaching Special Teams only?

Right now, Kasey is listed as Special Teams Coordinator / Outside Linebackers. I wouldn't imagine we would have an outside LB coach and an inside LB coach in a 4-2-5
Warren was listed as DC/LB coach, so this seems to just be a 1:1 replacement with Teegardin's responsibilities, whatever they are, untouched.

Allen has to have some relationship here that would give him some insight on Wilt. Maybe Wilt's Dad. He certainly looks like a good line coach and recruiter and the best thing that could be said is wherever he coached seemed to have good defenses let by good line play. Make the linebacker assignment stranger. I am wondering if whomever reported that, got that info correct.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
This looks like a great hire. Track record of success in both on the field performance as well as recruiting.

Minnesota's DL had a lot more sacks than their linebackers and secondary. Hopefully he can create schemes that make our DL more disruptive than they've been in year's past.

Now we hold our breath for the DC hire...
I'm hearing Wilt is the new DC.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Here’s a nice quote:

Minnesota's defense finished second in the Big Ten in scoring defense this season, allowing just 17.3 points per game. It also finished second in total defense, rushing defense and passing defense. One of Wilt's pupils, defensive end Boye Mafe, finished 10th in the conference in sacks with seven and among the league's leaders in tackles for loss with 10.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ad-wilt-new-defensive-coordinator/9157989002/

I'm having trouble getting excited about this hire but again, as with Bell, I'm assuming/hoping CTA knows what he's doing and that Wilt will bring immediate value to the coordinator role. Hopefully he's a quick study. After 2-10, we're not well-positioned to ease in a new hire who's on a long learning curve.

I know Wilt's been around, but I'd feel better if he had prior DC experience. I'm wondering if Rutgers came out ahead with their Minnesota pick.

Please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

I'm having trouble getting excited about this hire but again, as with Bell, I'm assuming/hoping CTA knows what he's doing and that Wilt will bring immediate value to the coordinator role. Hopefully he's a quick study. After 2-10, we're not well-positioned to ease in a new hire who's on a long learning curve.

I know Wilt's been around, but I'd feel better if he had prior DC experience. I'm wondering if Rutgers came out ahead with their Minnesota pick.

The reason I'm most excited about the hire is from everything I've seen from Minnesota people, they are calling Wilt their best recruiting assistant Fleck had on staff.

He was responsible for bringing in a number of their high profile kids. He brought in Trey Bixby and Anthony Smith this year, both four stars. He poached Austin Booker from Greenwood last year, someone we wanted.

I have no idea if he can call plays or not. He has shown he can get the Jimmy and Joes to come and play for him though.

The reason I'm most excited about the hire is from everything I've seen from Minnesota people, they are calling Wilt their best recruiting assistant Fleck had on staff.

He was responsible for bringing in a number of their high profile kids. He brought in Trey Bixby and Anthony Smith this year, both four stars. He poached Austin Booker from Greenwood last year, someone we wanted.

I have no idea if he can call plays or not. He has shown he can get the Jimmy and Joes to come and play for him though.
Not to mention the fact that his position group was really, really good.

Not to mention the fact that his position group was really, really good.

The only thing I'm worried about is he's moving from line to backer.

If I were to guess, I would guess that Cam is coming back, which would obviously be a big help with Micah moving on. If both are good, that's not a ideal situation to be in, especially with a new position coach and two new starters.

The only thing I'm worried about is he's moving from line to backer.

If I were to guess, I would guess that Cam is coming back, which would obviously be a big help with Micah moving on. If both are good, that's not a ideal situation to be in, especially with a new position coach and two new starters.

Wommack didn't have much experience with LBs before IU. His first full job was an FCS DC, after having been a GA for DL and safeties prior to that. Then he became DC/LB at South Alabama for 2 years before coming to IU.

Also, with IU's system, the LB position group only accounts for 2 of 11 spots. Plus, any LB-specific technical stuff can and will probably be offset by a LB focused GA and Allen himself whose expertise was LB.

IMO, this hire is completely different from the Bell hire and infinitely more exciting. This guy has a track record of proven success - at the B1G level even. Bell, quite the opposite on all counts. This isn't to continue to poo-poo the Bell hire, but to highlight how awesome this hire seems to be!

Wilt seems like Tom Allen right before he became a DC. Tough, worked his way up and successful at each stop. MN run D was what 9th in D1? That has lot to do with line play. Sometimes you see coaches interview well bc AD or HC can tell this person has a plan and thhe “it” factor. This guy looks like a good one to me.

per Bell, think he was on the rise but the situations he thought he was going into didn’t pan out as hoped (sometimes out of your control) and that he made a youthful bad career choice jumping at UMass HC job that was possibly set up for failure. But now with some humility and still only 37/38, I’m a stable situation basically at IU under Allen, I think he was a rising young coach for a reason and feel much more confident about him than Sheridan (at 31 with much less experience when he took over.)

One concern here is that most of the strategery involved in defense involves the back 7. DL is the simplest position group in football from an assignment perspective. Basically just need to know where to line up and your gap responsibility (in most defenses). There is a lot of truth to the old adage that kids that can’t handle other positions from a mental perspective usually wind up on the d-line.

Therefore the concern is that it is a much bigger leap for a Dline coach to become a DC than a LB or DB coach. I like the hire, but I’m perplexed why he was made DC. I’m past the point where I trust that CTA knows what he’s doing, because his batting average for hires isn’t exactly great.

One concern here is that most of the strategery involved in defense involves the back 7. DL is the simplest position group in football from an assignment perspective. Basically just need to know where to line up and your gap responsibility (in most defenses). There is a lot of truth to the old adage that kids that can’t handle other positions from a mental perspective usually wind up on the d-line.

Therefore the concern is that it is a much bigger leap for a Dline coach to become a DC than a LB or DB coach. I like the hire, but I’m perplexed why he was made DC. I’m past the point where I trust that CTA knows what he’s doing, because his batting average for hires isn’t exactly great.
Considering that several of his hires left for higher positions at other schools and that IU does not pay TOP level salaries for assistants, I doubt his hiring will EVER be great. I'll settle for very good.

IMO, this hire is completely different from the Bell hire and infinitely more exciting. This guy has a track record of proven success - at the B1G level even. Bell, quite the opposite on all counts. This isn't to continue to poo-poo the Bell hire, but to highlight how awesome this hire seems to be!
The best thing I can say about this hire is nobody has any idea at all if this is a good hire because the guy has never coordinated a defense or for that matter coached any position outside of the defensive line. He might end up being a great hire, but it's certainly an unconventional hire for a team that just went 2-10. A safe hire would have been whomever is the best coordinator in a non power 5 school. Someone who has some kind of track record. He appears to be a very good position coach, who is a solid recruiter, but the resume ends there. This and the Bell hire were not "conventional wisdom" hires. They may work out fabulously, but for someone who just went 2-10 they are risky hires. This follows a pattern with Allen though. On the defensive hires, he has ended up with guys with reputations are recruiters who were strong position coaches. He clearly sees himself as the head defensive coach. On offense, he clearly leans toward experience. Bell is highly experienced. For whatever reason, a lot of people think highly of Bell despite a checkered history. He's kind of viewed as a talented guy who has continuously been dealt bad hands and does the best he can. We'd obviously like a guy who turned lemons into lemonade, but maybe he can do that. One thing I'll say about Bell is he's a terrific recruiter and he never stayed anywhere long enough to benefit from his own recruits. With the portal, he should be able to build his own offense much more quickly.

I just don't see the logic having Wilt come in as DC and coaching a new postion - LBs - when he has a proven track record at coaching the D linemen. Why would you not take advantage of his skills there while he is learning the ropes as a DC? By doing this you have put an inexperienced coach at two different slots - DC and LBs.

The only way this makes some sense is if you have another DL coach you're bringing in that is better than Wilt has been. Seems like a tough task being better than Wilt at another Power 5 school. Why would the guy come to IU on a lateral when we know IU doesn't pay better than most other P-5 schools for assistants?

Perhaps CTA believes he is a genius or world class developer of coaching talent if he can make Wilt successful in two new positions of responsibility while at the same time sit back and watch Walt Bell try to succeed with perhaps the worst OL coach in the B1G. This looks misguided to me and a formula for another 2-10 year.

What am I missing?

I just don't see the logic having Wilt come in as DC and coaching a new postion - LBs - when he has a proven track record at coaching the D linemen. Why would you not take advantage of his skills there while he is learning the ropes as a DC? By doing this you have put an inexperienced coach at two different slots - DC and LBs.

The only way this makes some sense is if you have another DL coach you're bringing in that is better than Wilt has been. Seems like a tough task being better than Wilt at another Power 5 school. Why would the guy come to IU on a lateral when we know IU doesn't pay better than most other P-5 schools for assistants?

Perhaps CTA believes he is a genius or world class developer of coaching talent if he can make Wilt successful in two new positions of responsibility while at the same time sit back and watch Walt Bell try to succeed with perhaps the worst OL coach in the B1G. This looks misguided to me and a formula for another 2-10 year.

What am I missing?
You make good points. We will see where this goes, but this is an unusual formula.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT