ADVERTISEMENT

Your new DC...

This looks like a great hire. Track record of success in both on the field performance as well as recruiting.

Minnesota's DL had a lot more sacks than their linebackers and secondary. Hopefully he can create schemes that make our DL more disruptive than they've been in year's past.

Now we hold our breath for the DC hire...

I like the hire. Aside from on-field production, he's already plenty familiar with Indiana as he coached at Ball State for a couple of years and, per his bio on the MD site, had a primary recruiting area that included Indy and Chicago while coaching there.

This looks like a great hire. Track record of success in both on the field performance as well as recruiting.

Minnesota's DL had a lot more sacks than their linebackers and secondary. Hopefully he can create schemes that make our DL more disruptive than they've been in year's past.

Now we hold our breath for the DC hire...
Update: looks like he IS the DC

I suspect he is the DC, otherwise no need or rationale to leave Minnesota, CTA will be "training" another guy as DC, hopefully that works better than with Warren who underwhelmed in both recruiting and coaching (could have been expected with track record at AFA). Now Allen will hire a linebackers coach as Wilt will be both DL and DC.

I suspect he is the DC, otherwise no need or rationale to leave Minnesota, CTA will be "training" another guy as DC, hopefully that works better than with Warren who underwhelmed in both recruiting and coaching (could have been expected with track record at AFA). Now Allen will hire a linebackers coach as Wilt will be both DL and DC.
Looks like Wilt will coach the LBs.

Looks like a good coach but no experience as a coordinator is a bit concerning. Does he know coverages etc. No time to be learning on the job

Reactions: vesuvius13
I like that we’ve added this guy to the staff. However, I hope he will not be calling plays initially. If so, this is another very questionable move by CTA.

We are likely choosing between

1) DC that has failed at the P5
2) DC that is succeeding at a lower level
3) A position coach at the P5

1) Has experience but to an extent has already proven to not be up to the task.
2) Has experience but competition level isn't completely comparable
3) No experience but only way to take a good coach away from another P5 school

I would go for #3 only if I really wanted a position coach from another P5 school (that could be the case here given his strong resume at DL). Otherwise, I would think #2 is the best course of action. I don't really like #1 since I'd rather roll the dice on someone than go with someone that has failed somewhere else.

I could be way off base, but this screams like CTA has someone that he wants at defensive line coach already in mind that he's trying to get.
This is my take. From what I have read the guy is a strong recruiter and a good defensive line coach. Hiring him as a linebackers coach and a DC when he's never been one is a bit strange. Suggests two things. We are about to hire a defensive line coach that Allen loves, and I am guessing he will be brought in at a higher salary and maybe be a C0-DC. The Burton guy we hired and lost last year to Michigan State would fit this profile. The second thing is tells me is Allen just loved this guy during the interview process and valued him so much as a coach that he felt he'd succeed as a DC and in a position he had not coached. That's a strong statement, and a little scary I might add. As suggested I am guessing Allen is calling plays next year, and Allen just wants strong recruiters and good position coaches and hiring great position coaches, giving them promotional titles and growing them was the best way to get the position coaches and recruiters he wanted.

My guess is that Allen will go back to calling defenses
The only thing that makes any sense to me (if he truly is coming in at both DC and Linebackers coach...[not DL coach]...)..., is that Tom Allen intends to be his stand right behind him type of mentor and hopes to mold him in his own image... Appeared to have worked with Wommack..., let's hope lightening will strike twice...

He has coached on the D side of the the ball , and when you do you are learning to coach defense . Most position coaches are there to learn so they can move up to be a coordinator and then a head coach . Coach Allen likes him , so I’m fine with the hire .

The only thing that makes any sense to me (if he truly is coming in at both DC and Linebackers coach...[not DL coach]...)..., is that Tom Allen intends to be his stand right behind him type of mentor and hopes to mold him in his own image... Appeared to have worked with Wommack..., let's hope lightening will strike twice...
Wilt's dad was coach at Taylor. I'd bet, at some point, Allen probably knew him.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a Wommack situation, where Allen mentors his friend's son.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT