ADVERTISEMENT

You are the president's speech writer

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
and you are assigned to write a speech for the President when he meets Ahmed Mohamed. What do you say? Typically, when the President invites and meets people at the White House, the individuals accomplished something noteworthy which serves as a launching pad for some presidential remarks about inspiration, motivation, and achievement. I think these kinds of celebrations and recognitions are important for us. President Obama has kept up with and furthered that practice.

I dunno. I struggle with why Ahmed is invited to the White House. Certainly his "clock" doesn't demonstrate a recognizable youthful achievement. I don't think the time is right to for the President to once again talk about Police excesses. Obviously. There are other victims of violence, some of whom have been invited to the WH, whose scars will last a lifetime and would be better examples for changes public attitude.

I really dislike* finding yet another reason to criticize POTUS, but I wonder if the White House invitation is yet another impulsive Obama reaction like we have seen before. Or does it portend another national lecture about tolerance and acceptance of Muslims. Or maybe as some have suggested, we are seeing a cultural change in America towards victims being our new heroes.

*deliberately avoiding the word "hate" here.

Last edited:
and you are assigned to write a speech for the President when he meets Ahmed Mohamed. What do you say? Typically, when the President invites and meets people at the White House, the individuals accomplished something noteworthy which serves as a launching pad for some presidential remarks about inspiration, motivation, and achievement. I think these kinds of celebrations and recognitions are important for us. President Obama has kept up with and furthered that practice.

I dunno. I struggle with why Ahmed is invited to the White House. Certainly his "clock" doesn't demonstrate a recognizable youthful achievement. I don't think the time is right to for the President to once again talk about Police excesses. Obviously. There are other victims of violence, some of whom have been invited to the WH, whose scars will last a lifetime and would be better examples for changes public attitude.

I really dislike* finding yet another reason to criticize POTUS, but I wonder if the White House invitation is yet another impulsive Obama reaction like we have seen before. Or does it portend another national lecture about tolerance and acceptance of Muslims. Or maybe as some have suggested, we are seeing a cultural change in America towards victims being our new heroes.

*deliberately avoiding the word "hate" here.

"Hey, kid. Want a pumpkin beer?"

"If you like your clock you can keep it."

"Uncle Joe would like you to take a crack at Hillary's server."

"Think you can come up with a drone that will mess with Tony Romo next time the 'Skins get back to Cowboy-land? We'll find a place for you if you do."

Reactions: Noodle
I do not think the concept is to make victims heroes. Rather take people who have been marginalized and show the people who do the marginilizing that their efforts are counterproductive. What is the problem with that?

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Stress Ahmed Mohamed's interest in science and remind students about the importance of science and scientific careers. Make no mention of the Muslim connection.

Reactions: IU-Curmudgeon
I wouldn't make it a speech about prejudice or policing or anything like that. I'd make it a speech about the paralyzingly state of fear out country has been out in over school violence and terrorism. I'd take digs at both "our political leaders" and "the media," without getting too specific. I'd tell Ahmed, "The reason I invited you here was to tell you not to let the fears of those around you keep you from tryin to make the world a better place." Then I'd address the adults everywhere and explain that the reason Ahmed was confused by what was happening to him is because this irrational fear is a learned response, and he hasn't learned it yet. Let's not pass this fear down to our children.

Something like that.

I think he'll treat him as an intelligent young man and let Ahmed lead the discussion. The meeting is about the young man. I believe he'll only ask about his parents and background as would anyone you are getting acquainted with for the first time and anyone watching ignorant of the tv cameras. The talk will mostly be touching on his interest in technology, all the invitations to come to every tech mecca in the US. Move to career desire and close with a live long and prosper.

Obama does have intelligent, teenage daughters to work from also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT