ADVERTISEMENT

Yo Goat

You've probably seen it in one of your news feeds but there's been a discovery at the LHC of a new type of particle that defies known physics. One of my internet peeps says it's a type of boson particle (god particle).
Thanks. I missed that. Just read up on it. The skeptic in me says this is a function of the world we live in; things are reported before we know anything. We may find out next year this was all just a random artifact.

Yup, I'm currently working on getting my math back up to speed to try to get a better behind the text idea of what's happening.
I could practice all the math I wanted, and I still wouldn't get it. I find physics fascinating, but I just know very little about it.

However, even I can tell that this discovery, if confirmed, would be astounding. A 750 GeV boson? That's way heavier than anything in the Standard Model, including the Higgs.

The idea of a particle that mediates between regular and dark matter is intriguing. Or maybe it has something to do with expansion? Oh well. I'll definitely look for the updates next year.

Never really had to give math much thought until after I came out of the army and walked into my 200 level calc class at IU and treated it like everyting else. Bad mistake.

My only saving grace was I had a 5 credit hour physics class in the middle of the afternoon, 5 days a week and my daughter was coming home as a latchkey child from the 1st grade, I'd recently gained custody of my kids and I just couldn't let her do that so I withdrew and have yet to return.

Though I'm contemplating doing the Western Gov University. Just not sure I have the discipline anymore to do all the self-study involved.

Never really had to give math much thought until after I came out of the army and walked into my 200 level calc class at IU and treated it like everyting else. Bad mistake.

My only saving grace was I had a 5 credit hour physics class in the middle of the afternoon, 5 days a week and my daughter was coming home as a latchkey child from the 1st grade, I'd recently gained custody of my kids and I just couldn't let her do that so I withdrew and have yet to return.

Though I'm contemplating doing the Western Gov University. Just not sure I have the discipline anymore to do all the self-study involved.
The thing is, I'm good with math. Aced it on my SAT, aced it and logic in my GRE. Always been a math-centric mind, never had a problem. But, two things:

1. You need some foundation. I've spent a lot of time studying science, but almost always biology. I'm only casually knowledgeable about physics.
2. The math in physics is INSANE.

I have no idea what my SAT score was, I know they were good as practically every teach I'd ever had in that high school came to me asking me wtf I thought I was doing swimming along with Ds in my classes.

btw, many troublemakers are your bored smarter kids. My 8th grade science teacher ruined high school for me. He was fantastic and the rest were playing row, row, row your boat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT