ADVERTISEMENT

IRS rolling out tax filing software pilot

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
This is good news. Looks like in a few years that many if not most people will be able to file directly with the IRS rather than using a third party. It's been a long time coming.

Anyone here think they might use this? There's an eligibility quiz you can take to see if that's possible. Limited to certain states, and IN isn't one, so I wasn't able to see what else is involved.

So the government is using our tax dollars to create software that will purportedly make it more efficient to confiscate our earnings.

Yes. This is great news.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Directed specifically at the low income tax brackets, people who can't afford spending $50-75 on Turbotax every year. Sounds good to me, and to most sane people

Directed specifically at the low income tax brackets, people who can't afford spending $50-75 on Turbotax every year. Sounds good to me, and to most sane people
Even better! Spending taxpayer money on software for people that hardly pay any taxes in the first place.

A rational person might ask. Why are taxes so complicated that we even need to design software systems to complete them. Why doesn’t every person just say the same % on income? No % on investment income (after all that investment money has already been taxed).

But we’re a country filled with grifters, lowlifes, scumbags. The type of people that laugh and mock others at how their SS benefits go up every year at the expense of the well earning tax payer, while they whittle their life away on a message board.

Scumbag lowlifes that this planet and nation would be better without.

I file free with TurboTax. I would be fine with taking out the middle man though

I favored Lugar's simple flat tax for everybody, 40 years ago. I am not a fan of this system. But since nobody wants to fix it, make it easier to do what you have to do

Reactions: UncleMark
State free too?
Yup. I think if you ever paid for it, then they hide the free option for as long as you copy over your previous return.

If you start from scratch, then should have the option of refusing their paid versions. Then in the future you can go back to bringing over last year's return again

Last edited:
This is good news. Looks like in a few years that many if not most people will be able to file directly with the IRS rather than using a third party. It's been a long time coming.

Anyone here think they might use this? There's an eligibility quiz you can take to see if that's possible. Limited to certain states, and IN isn't one, so I wasn't able to see what else is involved.

Finally. But unless it's integrated with state return filing, I'd rather just pay H&R.

Finally. But unless it's integrated with state return filing, I'd rather just pay H&R.
That's always where they get you. Fed is cheap or free, but state will cost you. I like how they're starting slow and small. Give it a couple more years.

Thank you Trump.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
I already bought Turbotax for like the 20th year in a row

This scumbag lowlife has been using Tax Act for forever. I got concerned a couple years ago when they said they no longer "supported" Windows 7, which was that latest version of Windows I had on any of my computers. I used anyway, and it was fine. This is the downloaded, installed version run locally, not a web based offering. Then a couple months ago the drive that hosted my W7 install crapped out in spectacular fashion. Fortunately, I was able to dig really deep into their knowledge base and found a reference that said the online version does work with Linux, and does allow you to import from previous downloaded versions, as long as you use a supported browser such as Chrome or Firefox, which do have Linux versions.

Oh God no. I mean their website. I just sign in, hit "upload your tax information" and just keep hitting "next" until they are done. So easy it's worth the money. I despise filing taxes.

I know I'm a weirdo, but I almost look forward to it. I no longer get anything back besides a pittance from the state, but I still get some sort of perverted satisfaction out of completing the task.

And bad news … will the IRS seek to maximize refunds … who’s responsible for ‘honest mistakes’

There is a goal I read last year to eliminate paper returns.

And bad news … will the IRS seek to maximize refunds … who’s responsible for ‘honest mistakes’

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your mind it will creep

No one will be forcing you to use the IRS offering.

I just think it's a good thing for a lot of people. My fondest hope is to get as many people as possible away from going into the storefront tax preparer chains and getting suckered into getting their refunds "immediately", meaning they're taking out a high interest loan to get their money two weeks earlier. I hate seeing the poor and unsophisticated being taken advantage of. This could put a dent in that.

I know I'm a weirdo, but I almost look forward to it. I no longer get anything back besides a pittance from the state, but I still get some sort of perverted satisfaction out of completing the task.
I just want to get it over with. I think I've always been that way. In fact, the only thing I really hate about filing with the H&R Block website is that it could be even quicker than it is. But I have to sit there and watch this little spinning thing while they "double-check" my return. You and I both know the only thing going on behind the scenes there is a f*cking timer. But a screen that says, "This is entirely unnecessary because I'm a computer, but I went ahead and ran the calculation 10,000 extra times for you, and I got the same number every time because, again, I'm a computer. It took 0.03 seconds to complete. Why are you still reading this?" isn't very good marketing.

• Love
I do my own and enjoy it. I actually get a decent amount back because of the child tax credits and daycare costs. Unfortunately, the other 364 days of the year I lose out when I have to pay for all my kids shit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT