ADVERTISEMENT

Would you have fired these two coaches after two years

You guys sure can fire a coach real easy but who are you going to replace him with that you know would actually come here. You really think a proven coach would ever come here where the fan base is pathetic and the stadium is half empty after half time. I don't care one way or the other if we replace the coach but I have seen how changing coaches every few years has worked at IU so that is not the answer as well. Lets just say an Urban Myer type left their current job and in a couple of years we had an opening do you really think that type of guy would come here. We will never get that type of coach so whoever we get will not be a guarantee home run hire so it is a crap shoot either way.

This is too easy an argument to make Scott. I ask YOU why you think they would not come? You mentioned Meyer. Let’s say he was healthy and wanted to continue to coach. Why would he not come here? Are those reasons within our control? Are you telling me a $50 million dollar a year contract would not persuade him to come to IU? If the answer is “Well ya, for 50 million who wouldn’t?” Then you would be wrong in your assessment. If he comes for 50 would he come for 40? 30?How about 20? 10?

Go through the USA Today coaches/assistants pay charts. Everyone of them I pulled up left somewhere to be somewhere and got paid more money. Provide the money for a coach AND staff and we don’t have this argument each year for 50 years.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
This is too easy an argument to make Scott. I ask YOU why you think they would not come? You mentioned Meyer. Let’s say he was healthy and wanted to continue to coach. Why would he not come here? Are those reasons within our control? Are you telling me a $50 million dollar a year contract would not persuade him to come to IU? If the answer is “Well ya, for 50 million who wouldn’t?” Then you would be wrong in your assessment. If he comes for 50 would he come for 40? 30?How about 20? 10?

Go through the USA Today coaches/assistants pay charts. Everyone of them I pulled up left somewhere to be somewhere and got paid more money. Provide the money for a coach AND staff and we don’t have this argument each year for 50 years.
I am telling you Meyer would not come here for $50 million. He walked away from a boat load of money @ UF to return home. I believe there is only one other job he may consider and that would be possibly Norte Dame and I am not sure about that one anymore.

There are no delusions of grandeur on my behalf. I know that the Indiana head football job is one of the toughest jobs in college sports. You have a very small fan base of true fans. From what I see on here they are not very football savvy. They are not not even close to as passionate about football as they are about basketball and yes there was a great deal of success in the past for the hoops team. But even during the lean years post Coach Knight era. The crowds did not drop off for long and continued to support the team and were able to help attract big time players. I do believe high school football in Indiana is better than most people give it credit for there are some really outstanding players that played in Indiana however the state does not have anywhere the number of D1 players as Florida or California or Georgia or Texas. And the really good players don’t stay in state they go to Michigan or Ohio State or even Clemson. So you can’t keep your best players home. Hopefully Sampson James stays with IU. IU has put together a decent pipeline from Tampa now we want to fire the coach before they get to mature. They as I continue to say play in the toughest division in college football. The fans want a winner but aren’t willing to do what it takes. Support the team good or bad. Support the coaches give them a chance to coach kids they bring in. Must have more realistic expectations. This was not a year to expect a 7 or 8 win season with all of the losses on defense. You had a three qb competition in spring and fall camp. You had receivers coming off major injuries. You lose your running just before the first game.The strength of your team was supposed to be the offensive line which was your weakness the year before.i don’t know how people expected so much more from this team this year. Yes expectations should be for 6 maybe 7 next year.
So, no, you didn't read my post. Nervermind!

You can tell if a program is improving beyond just the W-L record. Can anyone seriously assert that Tom Allen has improved the football program? Does the team get better over the course of the season? Are stupid penalties and errors kept to a minimum? Are players developed?

I don’t even get angry at Allen. He has been given limited resources to succeed and has done about as well as can be expected. I know even he has been frustrated at the lack of administration support. The blame goes higher up the food chain.

Pssssst. Check the freshmen class and the recruits. Thank me later.

I am telling you Meyer would not come here for $50 million. He walked away from a boat load of money @ UF to return home. I believe there is only one other job he may consider and that would be possibly Norte Dame and I am not sure about that one anymore.
He would come if he thought he could recruit and win here. Our AD and administration would not give him the impression that they would support building a winner. Glass fired a HC that Meyer snapped up immediately. Would Glass support Meyer hiring a coach with Wilson's recent history?

Meyer would see firing a good coach for the reasons we did as a weakness. He would never return a call from Fred Glass. Most established top coaches wouldn't work for Glass or this administration.

One reason is the pathetic fan base and another he would just wait for the best opportunity and .

You can tell if a program is improving beyond just the W-L record. Can anyone seriously assert that Tom Allen has improved the football program? Does the team get better over the course of the season? Are stupid penalties and errors kept to a minimum? Are players developed?

I don’t even get angry at Allen. He has been given limited resources to succeed and has done about as well as can be expected. I know even he has been frustrated at the lack of administration support. The blame goes higher up the food chain.
Okay, a college football insider I am not. So, I am curious: What administrative support is missing? CTA is being paid a competitive salary, his assistant coaches are being paid competitive salaries. His recruiting budget is large enough for him to travel anywhere to meet with recruits. We have gussied-up Memorial Stadium. We have added much-needed facilities, like a world-class weight room, new meeting rooms and new tutoring/study rooms. We have hired an athletic dietitian to help plan team meals. We have brought in world-class and nationally renowned strength and conditioning coaches. The football program's technology is up-to-date with the rest of the football world. Next year, we are remodeling the locker room.
What's missing?

One reason is the pathetic fan base and another he would just wait for the best opportunity and .
Stop it! What did you think the crowd was like after our 3-0 start? Did you sit in the stands and notice it wasn't a heavy MSU crowd, but IU people showing up to see if they could beat MSU and go to 4-0?

I noticed. I also noticed those people didn't come back after a terrible performance in a game MSU tried very hard to hand to us. The worse performance against Iowa was almost enough for me to stay away.

I haven't decided about season tickets for next year. I miss spending Saturdays doing chores around the house. Instead, I watched a mostly uninspired team and sideline play like they had no chance to win.

Does that make me pathetic or just finally getting smarter about my choices for next year?

Stop it! What did you think the crowd was like after our 3-0 start? Did you sit in the stands and notice it wasn't a heavy MSU crowd, but IU people showing up to see if they could beat MSU and go to 4-0?

I noticed. I also noticed those people didn't come back after a terrible performance in a game MSU tried very hard to hand to us. The worse performance against Iowa was almost enough for me to stay away.

I haven't decided about season tickets for next year. I miss spending Saturdays doing chores around the house. Instead, I watched a mostly uninspired team and sideline play like they had no chance to win.

Does that make me pathetic or just finally getting smarter about my choices for next year?

This is exactly right. Indiana fans WANT to support this team. They absolutely do. But when things start looking good and the excitement is there, as sure as day follows night, Indiana will come out and s*!t the bed. MSU, Iowa, Penn St., Purdue...take your pick. That would be where dynamic coaching comes in. Motivate the players. Instill unmatched discipline. Demand better execution. Prepare them to win. But Indiana doesn't have that. And here we are.

Reactions: td75 and goody1986
Kirk Farentz record after 2 years 4-19
Pat Fitzerald record after 2 years 10-14
Tom Allen Record after 2 years 10-14

All had no HC experience before their current HC job and struggled after 2 years. Not saying Allen will turn out to be like those coaches but those two were given a chance to succeed which Allen should get that chance as well.
Would you have fired these coaches after two years?
Lee Corso: 3-19
Cam Cameron: 6-16
Kevin Wilson: 5-19

This is exactly right. Indiana fans WANT to support this team. They absolutely do. But when things start looking good and the excitement is there, as sure as day follows night, Indiana will come out and s*!t the bed. MSU, Iowa, Penn St., Purdue...take your pick. That would be where dynamic coaching comes in. Motivate the players. Instill unmatched discipline. Demand better execution. Prepare them to win. But Indiana doesn't have that. And here we are.
During the Bucket game, I found myself telling my wife: "When an opponent prepares to play Indiana, they know they don't have to bring their "A" game because Indiana will beat themselves."
Can anyone think of a four-year time span in the program's history when this statement did not apply to at least two of the seasons?

No because I feel coaches needs 4 years to see what they can do
I have to admit that your position sounds fair and seems reasonable. But this program is in desperate need of a positive trend. And, at this point, I'll take anything that is a positive trend. I am having a hard time finding one. And, to me, that is why your point sounds fair and seems reasonable but, in this particular case, may not be either.

if only every school paid 20 mil a yr to the HC, then every school in the country would have a winning record every yr.

how have schools not figured this out????

Okay, a college football insider I am not. So, I am curious: What administrative support is missing? CTA is being paid a competitive salary, his assistant coaches are being paid competitive salaries. His recruiting budget is large enough for him to travel anywhere to meet with recruits. We have gussied-up Memorial Stadium. We have added much-needed facilities, like a world-class weight room, new meeting rooms and new tutoring/study rooms. We have hired an athletic dietitian to help plan team meals. We have brought in world-class and nationally renowned strength and conditioning coaches. The football program's technology is up-to-date with the rest of the football world. Next year, we are remodeling the locker room.
What's missing?

A competitive salary? Allen is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten. They have to share a weight room. Go take a look at what Purdue has and tell me IU is competitive facility-wise.

A competitive salary? Allen is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten. They have to share a weight room. Go take a look at what Purdue has and tell me IU is competitive facility-wise.
While I am certainly no expert -- it's Planet Fitness, for me -- the university sure seems proud of it:

"At the heart of the Northern Zone facility is the W. Jay and Nancy Wilkinson Performance Center - one of largest strength centers in the country. The 23,00-square-foot area is located at field level and provides student-athletes in every varsity sport with access to brand new weight training and cardio equipment. The facility houses about 150 pieces of equipment, over 11 tons of dumbbells and over 40 tons of free weights for IU athletes to use."
And CTA is getting $1.8 million a year -- not exactly chicken feed.

This is a good point. With much more HC experience, much higher staff salaries, better QBs and the best freshman playmaker in the country, Brohm was 7 pts. better than Allen. That’s a pretty narrow margin given the huge gap in perceptions of the two coaches right now.

If the current commits all sign, TA will have a chance to prove his mettle. Like most, I have my reservations about Allen, but especially given what he has already done on the recruiting trail, he deserves another year or two to work.
agree. but only one year to show improvement. as long as he stops saying "foot speed" and "eye discipline", and eschewing easy field goals on 4th and 9 and throwing 3 yard completions an 3 and 10 and...

I had some false hope after the FIU & BSU games. The offense stalling out the 2nd half against VA was a bad omen, and felt like it at the time.

I wasn't able to attend the MSU game, but to me the season turned when PR's tipped pass was returned for a TD. It's hard to explain, but I knew with near certainty that the season was going to hell after that play. I still went to the Iowa, PSU, and Purdue games and, like all IU fans, got bitch-slapped for my persistence. Strike 2 was Penix getting hurt against PSU.

So Brohm might go to Purdue? Their team will be tired & distracted? So you say, wtf, Purdue lost to EMU and blew a 14 point lead with 9 minutes to go against a mediocre team? There's hope!! Sorry, no ****ing way. This team WILL find a way to lose. Strike 3? Moore catching his first long TD pass.....because when you saw the first one, you KNEW there would be a second.

No because I feel coaches needs 4 years to see what they can do
I would agree on 4 years if we had been 1-11 when Allen took over. We had two 6-6 teams prior to Allen and he inherited a good defense.

Allen isn't getting fired this year. He does need to make obvious changes. If not, he may not survive after next year. I'm worried about our O-line next year, but other than that we should be improved if we get better game planning and execution.

Allen will have 3 years. after that we will know if Allen regained the momentum Wilson had built. I personally feel this was a 7-5 team without relying on a big upset. We had a slight chance to surprise a team and win 8.

We won't break through the 4-8 or 5-7 ceiling with the current staff.

While I am certainly no expert -- it's Planet Fitness, for me -- the university sure seems proud of it:

"At the heart of the Northern Zone facility is the W. Jay and Nancy Wilkinson Performance Center - one of largest strength centers in the country. The 23,00-square-foot area is located at field level and provides student-athletes in every varsity sport with access to brand new weight training and cardio equipment. The facility houses about 150 pieces of equipment, over 11 tons of dumbbells and over 40 tons of free weights for IU athletes to use."
And CTA is getting $1.8 million a year -- not exactly chicken feed.

The point is Allen makes way less than his peers in the conference. Brohm is paid over $3 million/year and his assistant coaching salary pool is much larger. Having to share a weight room limits what the strength staff can do. Other schools point to their football only facilities and let recruits know that IU doesn’t care enough to have one.

I would agree on 4 years if we had been 1-11 when Allen took over. We had two 6-6 teams prior to Allen and he inherited a good defense.

Allen isn't getting fired this year. He does need to make obvious changes. If not, he may not survive after next year. I'm worried about our O-line next year, but other than that we should be improved if we get better game planning and execution.

Allen will have 3 years. after that we will know if Allen regained the momentum Wilson had built. I personally feel this was a 7-5 team without relying on a big upset. We had a slight chance to surprise a team and win 8.

Agree with all this, but would ask why you are not equally concerned about the DL as the OL, if not more? Do you see some hope there?

We are better than we were when Allen took over. Wilson had to win season-ending games against the worst Purdue teams in their history to squeak into a bowl. Tom Allen hasn't had that luxury. Allen didn't inherit a good defense. He made a terrible defense a good defense his first year and then watched his defense disintegrate to injuries last year. The fact that Wilson couldn't recruit even a handful of defensive talent his last two years left Allen with a ridiculously young unit this year that was still more than competitive and got better as the year progressed.

We also no longer piss away games we should have in the bag with terrible game management ( Minnesota in '14, Rutgers in '15) or lay eggs against MAC teams. We are competitive every game.

What we haven't done is take a step up. I won't argue that. We have to find a way to consistently beat the teams that are roughly our equal in talent, especially on the road. We have to develop the ability to pull off a conference upset (which has really been the difference between us and Purdue the last two years). Mostly, we have to find an offensive identity because that is what has plagued us the last two years.

I'm not happy or content with the state of the program and missing a bowl the last two years. But the long-term prospects for IU football are better than they were when Allen took over. Hopefully we get the missing pieces in place and turn the corner next year.

He would come if he thought he could recruit and win here. Our AD and administration would not give him the impression that they would support building a winner. Glass fired a HC that Meyer snapped up immediately. Would Glass support Meyer hiring a coach with Wilson's recent history?

Meyer would see firing a good coach for the reasons we did as a weakness. He would never return a call from Fred Glass. Most established top coaches wouldn't work for Glass or this administration.

I think you are right. I would like to see a Jurich from Louisville as AD at IU. The guy made one bad hire in Kragthorpe who was his close friend. Now, the alums and academia might go nuts over that.... but I’d love to see Glass at least hire him as a consultant on how to run an athletic department. The guy is good

What's missing?
Well last year we found out the hard way we were going on the cheap with administrative support dealing with getting paperwork submitted in time to allow committed on campus players to qualify with the NCAA to play. We lost a full year of eligibility with our highest ranked recruit. Turns out we were running the department on short staff. So we hired more people. Problem is it happened a few years prior and NCAA looked the other way and we promised to fix it. We didn’t so we were punished.

Quality of coaches. We don’t have a clue until something breaks when it concerns the admin part of the business.... it gets very old indeed

The point is Allen makes way less than his peers in the conference. Brohm is paid over $3 million/year and his assistant coaching salary pool is much larger. Having to share a weight room limits what the strength staff can do. Other schools point to their football only facilities and let recruits know that IU doesn’t care enough to have one.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a single piece of substantiated evidence that not having a football-only weight room has cost us a single recruit. Please find an article to link or a name to put to that myth. And if it's such a big deal, how has that not hurt Northwestern ? There are a lot of fair criticisms of our program, but the football-only weight room argument is pure horseshit.

As for the money, would Tom Allen be a better coach right now if he were paid more ? Would he have hired different assistants ? Would the current staff be better or more motivated if they were earning higher salaries ? I doubt that any of those things are true.

The only way money factors in is if you are going to fire the current staff entirely and start over. That isn't happening this year. So that argument is irrelevant until the next hire (if there is one). Allen wasn't hired as HC because he was cheap. He was hired for what he had accomplished in his first year here and his successful recruiting. The jury is still out on whether that was a good decision or not, in my opinion (others here have already made up their minds and that is their right). But if we're going to judge the program, the arguments ought to at least be about performance and not about dipshit conjecture about a weight room or salary. Lovie Smith has both at Illinois. Would you trade places with that program ?

I think you are right. I would like to see a Jurich from Louisville as AD at IU. The guy made one bad hire in Kragthorpe who was his close friend. Now, the alums and academia might go nuts over that.... but I’d love to see Glass at least hire him as a consultant on how to run an athletic department. The guy is good
I hope you are joking right? because no way we would every want him as our AD. Have you forgotten the huge scandals that have hit UL under his watch or do you just care about winning at any cost.

We are better than we were when Allen took over. Wilson had to win season-ending games against the worst Purdue teams in their history to squeak into a bowl. Tom Allen hasn't had that luxury. Allen didn't inherit a good defense. He made a terrible defense a good defense his first year and then watched his defense disintegrate to injuries last year. The fact that Wilson couldn't recruit even a handful of defensive talent his last two years left Allen with a ridiculously young unit this year that was still more than competitive and got better as the year progressed.

We also no longer piss away games we should have in the bag with terrible game management ( Minnesota in '14, Rutgers in '15) or lay eggs against MAC teams. We are competitive every game.

What we haven't done is take a step up. I won't argue that. We have to find a way to consistently beat the teams that are roughly our equal in talent, especially on the road. We have to develop the ability to pull off a conference upset (which has really been the difference between us and Purdue the last two years). Mostly, we have to find an offensive identity because that is what has plagued us the last two years.

I'm not happy or content with the state of the program and missing a bowl the last two years. But the long-term prospects for IU football are better than they were when Allen took over. Hopefully we get the missing pieces in place and turn the corner next year.
I don't think we are better with Allen. We got too conservative and almost lost 2 games we were in control of this year. One of those games was Rutgers. Our inability to sclre in the early games in the second half were from predictable and ultra conservative play calling.

We have lost the last 2 years to Purdue teams that weren't more talented than IU. Purdue executed better and were better prepared. Especially last year, Purdue players wanted to win more. This year I felt the team wanted to win, but the game plan didn't take advantage of a running game that was much better than Purdue's ability to stop it. The short passes not thrown in stride helped Purdue stop us. We stopped ourselves with the types of plays we ran and execution.

I don’t get your apathy for the fanbase. I have yet to see one make a tackle.....

Your angst is misplaced
I am not saying it is the only problem but it really hurts recruiting when they see 35,000 people in the stands then half of them leave at halftime. They go on other visits to Iowa or UK and see their stands full with rabid fans and compare it to the experience at IU where do you think they will go. Also I feel it hurts the players coming out for big games not seeing the stands full and it is a little demoralizing to them to not have the fans support. If home field or home court doesn't matter then why do home teams wins most of the games if teams are somewhat equally matched.

Jurich will be lucky if he's not managing the recreation department of a state prison the next few years. The guy's not just a low-life, he's a thief. If Brohm elects not to jump into the burning dumpster at L'ville, Purdue fans will need to send personal thank-you notes to Jurich for destroying the athletic department.

Al Capone and Bernie Madoff were pretty successful - until their illegal activities caught up with them. Maybe Jurich isn't quite in that category, but don't believe for a second that Louisville's success the last several years wasn't built on a foundation of corruption.

Hi t
You do know that Oklahoma has a shared weight room that is much smaller than IU’ s which is among the largest in the country. Does that mean they don’t care about football no one ever answers that question.

Agree with all this, but would ask why you are not equally concerned about the DL as the OL, if not more? Do you see some hope there?
I am more worried about the O-line. I think we can overcome our losses easier on the D-line.

I expect we will talk about losing the battle up front after games next year.

Most people have no idea how far behind we are because they only follow IU and fully believe all the praise that is thrown around.

Anyone who has been to other schools knows we’re decades behind most of the conference.
I am one that believe we have more than adequate facilities and I have been in Florida, Florida State, Miami, USF, UCF, Georgia and Michigan State. Also I spoke with a friend who is a huge Penn State fan who just went to Bloomington and he said that Memorial stadium was much nicer than Beaver Stadium. He said it is nothing but a big erector set. Just an oversized high school set of bleachers and has no character.

Hi t

You do know that Oklahoma has a shared weight room that is much smaller than IU’ s which is among the largest in the country. Does that mean they don’t care about football no one ever answers that question.

Good question. Do you think Oklahoma would have hired Tom Allen without conducting a national coaching search? If they had, do you think they would retain him as coach if he couldn't beat Texas or achieve bowl eligibility two years in a row?

My guess is Oklahoma cares quite a bit about football and those questions would never have to be asked.

Do you have a better example?

Facilities is a lot more than just the stadium. I agree our stadium now looks very nice. Not as big as others but looks nice.

But our practice facilities are way below our peers. And that’s where the players spend 95% of their time. Compare Mellencamp to the practice facilities of those schools. It’s night and day.
Mellencamp just needs some cosmetic stuff. The practice fields are nice. Nice having tunnel to mellencamp and practice fields. Locker room and players lounge getting an upgrade and a football only training room. Also the dinning room and academic center conveniently located in the stadium Does it really matter if nice shiny new facilities are in a new building or conveniently located in the stadium. One of the things that Dan Mullen discussed flow and convenience in the soon to be built UF building.

I am not saying it is the only problem but it really hurts recruiting when they see 35,000 people in the stands then half of them leave at halftime. They go on other visits to Iowa or UK and see their stands full with rabid fans and compare it to the experience at IU where do you think they will go. Also I feel it hurts the players coming out for big games not seeing the stands full and it is a little demoralizing to them to not have the fans support. If home field or home court doesn't matter then why do home teams wins most of the games if teams are somewhat equally matched.
Poor records, bad coaching and losing ugly drive away more recruits than my decision to attend the game.

I never looked into the stands when I played. I could hear the fans, but I never looked for mom and dad or my sweetie until I was walking off the field. I barely looked at the cheerleaders.

If I did notice the stands were empty and we were under .500, I wouldn't blame my lack of "motivation" on the crowd. I would blame the lack of a crowd on my team's performance and motivation. A player should draw inspiration from from the locker room and the guys they are playing with. How are you going to ever win on the road if you need people cheering for you? If my teammates weren't ready to play, a big crowd wasn't going to help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT