ADVERTISEMENT

Would you have fired these two coaches after two years

Mellencamp just needs some cosmetic stuff. The practice fields are nice. Nice having tunnel to mellencamp and practice fields. Locker room and players lounge getting an upgrade and a football only training room. Also the dinning room and academic center conveniently located in the stadium Does it really matter if nice shiny new facilities are in a new building or conveniently located in the stadium. One of the things that Dan Mullen discussed flow and convenience in the soon to be built UF building.
I also agree that it was definitely long overdue. The other thing that I have learned is that the moment you move into one of these buildings they instantly become outdated because the next one is going to be better than the one you just built.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a single piece of substantiated evidence that not having a football-only weight room has cost us a single recruit. Please find an article to link or a name to put to that myth. And if it's such a big deal, how has that not hurt Northwestern ? There are a lot of fair criticisms of our program, but the football-only weight room argument is pure horseshit.

As for the money, would Tom Allen be a better coach right now if he were paid more ? Would he have hired different assistants ? Would the current staff be better or more motivated if they were earning higher salaries ? I doubt that any of those things are true.

The only way money factors in is if you are going to fire the current staff entirely and start over. That isn't happening this year. So that argument is irrelevant until the next hire (if there is one). Allen wasn't hired as HC because he was cheap. He was hired for what he had accomplished in his first year here and his successful recruiting. The jury is still out on whether that was a good decision or not, in my opinion (others here have already made up their minds and that is their right). But if we're going to judge the program, the arguments ought to at least be about performance and not about dipshit conjecture about a weight room or salary. Lovie Smith has both at Illinois. Would you trade places with that program ?

Wow.... ignorant. No one is saying paying Allen more would make him a better coach. Are you being stupid on purpose? What is being said is we could hire a better coach with a track record for more money. What is flawed in that suggestion?

If was hired for what he accomplished the one year as a DC here then yes we are doomed. He accomplished less than the guy they let go to that point.

Silly rabbit

Reactions: fpeaugh
Wow.... ignorant. No one is saying paying Allen more would make him a better coach. Are you being stupid on purpose? What is being said is we could hire a better coach with a track record for more money. What is flawed in that suggestion?

If was hired for what he accomplished the one year as a DC here then yes we are doomed. He accomplished less than the guy they let go to that point.

Silly rabbit
Still waiting on the link or the name of the recruit who bailed. I'll take either.

I am not saying it is the only problem but it really hurts recruiting when they see 35,000 people in the stands then half of them leave at halftime. They go on other visits to Iowa or UK and see their stands full with rabid fans and compare it to the experience at IU where do you think they will go. Also I feel it hurts the players coming out for big games not seeing the stands full and it is a little demoralizing to them to not have the fans support. If home field or home court doesn't matter then why do home teams wins most of the games if teams are somewhat equally matched.
I agree it can hurt recruiting .... who’s fault is it Scott? The are charging money to watch these games. They aren’t free. When the school decides to do everything it can in its power to be successful then I will accept some fan responsibility. Iowa and UK both put quality coaching staffs on the field.... I don’t know.... when you half ass things....

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a single piece of substantiated evidence that not having a football-only weight room has cost us a single recruit. Please find an article to link or a name to put to that myth. And if it's such a big deal, how has that not hurt Northwestern ? There are a lot of fair criticisms of our program, but the football-only weight room argument is pure horseshit.

As for the money, would Tom Allen be a better coach right now if he were paid more ? Would he have hired different assistants ? Would the current staff be better or more motivated if they were earning higher salaries ? I doubt that any of those things are true.

The only way money factors in is if you are going to fire the current staff entirely and start over. That isn't happening this year. So that argument is irrelevant until the next hire (if there is one). Allen wasn't hired as HC because he was cheap. He was hired for what he had accomplished in his first year here and his successful recruiting. The jury is still out on whether that was a good decision or not, in my opinion (others here have already made up their minds and that is their right). But if we're going to judge the program, the arguments ought to at least be about performance and not about dipshit conjecture about a weight room or salary. Lovie Smith has both at Illinois. Would you trade places with that program ?

Recruits aren’t going to come out and specifically say that the lack of a football-only facility is why they didn’t choose IU, but it is a factor. Opposing coaches use the lack of one to point out IU’s overall poor support of the program.

Allen was absolutely hired because he was cheap. Fred just gave some BS cover story in the press conference.

Jurich will be lucky if he's not managing the recreation department of a state prison the next few years. The guy's not just a low-life, he's a thief. If Brohm elects not to jump into the burning dumpster at L'ville, Purdue fans will need to send personal thank-you notes to Jurich for destroying the athletic department.

Al Capone and Bernie Madoff were pretty successful - until their illegal activities caught up with them. Maybe Jurich isn't quite in that category, but don't believe for a second that Louisville's success the last several years wasn't built on a foundation of corruption.
I don’t think you know anything about Louisville....how is he a thief? You got him confused with Ramsey non-sense. Ramsey is the one who has missing funds ... the President.

Recruits aren’t going to come out and specifically say that the lack of a football-only facility is why they didn’t choose IU, but it is a factor. Opposing coaches use the lack of one to point out IU’s overall poor support of the program.

Allen was absolutely hired because he was cheap. Fred just gave some BS cover story in the press conference.
And both of those things are patently false. They just fit your narrative. At least be man enough to admit you have zero evidence of either one of those sentences containing a shred of factual basis.

And both of those things are patently false. They just fit your narrative. At least be man enough to admit you have zero evidence of either one of those sentences containing a shred of factual basis.
Applying your philosophy has netted how many winning seasons?

Hi t

You do know that Oklahoma has a shared weight room that is much smaller than IU’ s which is among the largest in the country. Does that mean they don’t care about football no one ever answers that question.

Have you been to OKC or Norman? I humbly suggest to you that no opposing coach, who is sane, can argue that the shared weight room shows OK is not invested in football. Silly comparison because everyone who has spent more than a day in that area knows that the inhabitants and university are ate-up with Sooner football and are committed to it. There is a tradition and love that dictates the university's dedication to football and the dedication is not truly questioned (although performance that simply get you to a bowl and not final four might be). Now compare that to a university that is trying to catch up with facilities and is notoriously bad at football and see if the same "we care about football" comes from a shared weight room. Geez.

I agree it can hurt recruiting .... who’s fault is it Scott? The are charging money to watch these games. They aren’t free. When the school decides to do everything it can in its power to be successful then I will accept some fan responsibility. Iowa and UK both put quality coaching staffs on the field.... I don’t know.... when you half ass things....
Ferentz was never a HC when he was hired at Iowa and went 4-19 his first two years but they stuck with him and gave him a chance to succeed or hang himself. It has taken Stoops 6 years to turn around UK and I don't remember if he was ever a head coach before UK.

Reactions: ESalum86
Have you been to OKC or Norman? I humbly suggest to you that no opposing coach, who is sane, can argue that the shared weight room shows OK is not invested in football. Silly comparison because everyone who has spent more than a day in that area knows that the inhabitants and university are ate-up with Sooner football and are committed to it. There is a tradition and love that dictates the university's dedication to football and the dedication is not truly questioned (although performance that simply get you to a bowl and not final four might be). Now compare that to a university that is trying to catch up with facilities and is notoriously bad at football and see if the same "we care about football" comes from a shared weight room. Geez.
He never said OK did not care about football but suggesting just because you don't have a football only stadium suggest that you don't care.

Ferentz was never a HC when he was hired at Iowa and went 4-19 his first two years but they stuck with him and gave him a chance to succeed or hang himself. It has taken Stoops 6 years to turn around UK and I don't remember if he was ever a head coach before UK.

Ferentz showed improvement in wins from year one (1) to year two (3) (and the three were all in conference). As long as you are saying next few years will be like Ferentz years 3 through 6 at Iowa (7-5, 11-2, 10-3, 10-2) I guess none of us have anything to worry about.

He never said OK did not care about football but suggesting just because you don't have a football only stadium suggest that you don't care.

I believe you are missing the point. You are not subject to the "they don't care" arguments by opposing coaches in OK (shared weight room or not) because of their tradition. With IU, the history makes it easy for opposing coaches to make that argument to recruits and, based on our tradition or lack thereof, it could be easy for a recruit to accept it. When your IU football and not Oklahoma football, you can't provide others with points to recruit against your commitment to the program.

Without loyalty to a certain school, would you go where they challenge for conference titles and often go to bowl games or to the school that hardly ever finishes over .500?

Ferentz showed improvement in wins from year one (1) to year two (3) (and the three were all in conference). As long as you are saying next few years will be like Ferentz years 3 through 6 at Iowa (7-5, 11-2, 10-3, 10-2) I guess none of us have anything to worry about.
Never said our next few seasons will be like that but a coach should be given some opportunity to see what they can do. If everyone else was so impatient there would have been a lot of big time coaches fired before they had the chance to turn it around.

Never said our next few seasons will be like that but a coach should be given some opportunity to see what they can do. If everyone else was so impatient there would have been a lot of big time coaches fired before they had the chance to turn it around.

Not sure why folks think coming off of two straight bowl appearances required a "turn around." Regardless, FG will not pull the trigger anytime within the next two years, so it is what it is (and what it has been for most years of my life). Just hope we don't pull an Illinois/Lovie deal and extend prior to success on the field. Maybe that is too much to ask and we should start with Adm. having food in the concession stands in the second half and cleaning the goose droppings from our "new and improved" football complex.

Not sure why folks think coming off of two straight bowl appearances required a "turn around." Regardless, FG will not pull the trigger anytime within the next two years, so it is what it is (and what it has been for most years of my life). Just hope we don't pull an Illinois/Lovie deal and extend prior to success on the field. Maybe that is too much to ask and we should start with Adm. having food in the concession stands in the second half and cleaning the goose droppings from our "new and improved" football complex.

I'm not sure about CTA getting 2 more years.

I think he's gone if we only win 4. If we win 5, it depends on how we play. If no significant change in the staff and the product on the field, and a butt kicking by Purdue, I think he's gone. If we look more focused and competitive, he'll get 2020 and perhaps a small extension. If we win 6, he probably gets extended. After the last 2 years, the difference between 5 & 6 is huge. Also, to win 6 we'd have to win 2/4 of at MD, at Neb, at Purdue, or NW at home. That will be hard to do and worthy of notice if it happens.

I'm not sure about CTA getting 2 more years.

I think he's gone if we only win 4. If we win 5, it depends on how we play. If no significant change in the staff and the product on the field, and a butt kicking by Purdue, I think he's gone. If we look more focused and competitive, he'll get 2020 and perhaps a small extension. If we win 6, he probably gets extended. After the last 2 years, the difference between 5 & 6 is huge. Also, to win 6 we'd have to win 2/4 of at MD, at Neb, at Purdue, or NW at home. That will be hard to do and worthy of notice if it happens.

I don't disagree with your thoughts at all. I suggest that is my thinking as well. However, how we think and how FG thinks are unlikely to be the same. I just don't see FG pulling the trigger after next year, unless we get skunked or win only one. FG seems to take a position and ride it until the end (see names on jersey).

I am telling you Meyer would not come here for $50 million. He walked away from a boat load of money @ UF to return home. I believe there is only one other job he may consider and that would be possibly Norte Dame and I am not sure about that one anymore.
i thought he walked away from florida because of his health

Reactions: iueyedoc99
The point is Allen makes way less than his peers in the conference. Brohm is paid over $3 million/year and his assistant coaching salary pool is much larger. Having to share a weight room limits what the strength staff can do. Other schools point to their football only facilities and let recruits know that IU doesn’t care enough to have one.
paying allen 3 million a year won't make him a better coach. he deserves to be lowest paid because of his resume, the least experienced head coach in the big ten. he'll still make 10 million or so. i try not to feel too sorry for multi-millionaires

i do wonder if allen was the beneficiary of our fantastic linebackers, scales, oliver and covington. throw in nate hoff and what'shisname at corner. maybe allen was fortunate. he has a scant resume as a dc. we shall see

Hi t

You do know that Oklahoma has a shared weight room that is much smaller than IU’ s which is among the largest in the country. Does that mean they don’t care about football no one ever answers that question.
i thought i watched a vlog where an iu player said it was pretty cool that players from other sports could be lifting side by side with them. deron davis maybe?

Ferentz was Head Coach of University of Maine before going to the NFL to Coach..... that’s a little different wouldn’t you say to our hire? Coached under Bilicheck (sp)...

Ferentz came from a staff that Coach Hayden had built.... both Stoops brothers were on the staff, Barry Alvarez, Chuck Long coached on the staff but I don’t know if at same time. A staff that were accustom to winning. Taught winning. Iowa was winning before Ferentz..... we don’t have that....

When we roll the dice... wow we are rolling!

Poor records, bad coaching and losing ugly drive away more recruits than my decision to attend the game.

I never looked into the stands when I played. I could hear the fans, but I never looked for mom and dad or my sweetie until I was walking off the field. I barely looked at the cheerleaders.

If I did notice the stands were empty and we were under .500, I wouldn't blame my lack of "motivation" on the crowd. I would blame the lack of a crowd on my team's performance and motivation. A player should draw inspiration from from the locker room and the guys they are playing with. How are you going to ever win on the road if you need people cheering for you? If my teammates weren't ready to play, a big crowd wasn't going to help.
How long ago did you play? Kids have changed. Yes they do want to win. They want to play early. They want sparkling facilities. They want to be prepared for the NFL. They want to be seen
i thought he walked away from florida because of his health
Resigned in Dec of 2010 stating health issues but accepted OSU job in Nov 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT