ADVERTISEMENT

Worst OC in the nation.

Well with no All American RB much less All Big (Jordan Howard/Stevie Scott) returning to hand the ball to
Nor, no returning QB with moxie ….
IUs Offense was going to be what they could block.
IU blocked for less than 3 yards a carry …
against a defense loaded with All American candidates…
Some of whom beat Jackson to the playlane,
when he pulled the ball.
It was an outstanding example of team speed on defense. …
And likely, the fastest defense IU will face all season.

RBs cannot be relied upon to make their own holes.
OSU defense out executed IU.
Single Wing / Wing T power O for 3 yds and a cloud of dust are no longer trusted,
as defensive talent is too good to out execute in a tight formation, game after game.
I formation handoffs to the TB are no longer trusted either.
Not sure there was really more that could be done.

No way this guy lasts the season. Just befuddling the offense that was shown
Should know more after week 3 but it takes Allen a lot of time to fire anyone so I wouldn't count on it this season. I'd suspect if it's the same story as last season Bell and Allen will be walked out together.

Reactions: IUgradman
Well with no All American RB much less All Big (Jordan Howard/Stevie Scott) returning to hand the ball to
when he pulled the ball.

Single Wing / Wing T power O for 3 yds and a cloud of dust are no longer trusted,
as defensive talent is too good to out execute in a tight formation, game after game.
The difference btw 5 stars and 3 stars especially when our starters get hurt. I'm not sure what IU can do to improve. We are not getting the recruits.

Reactions: HoosierAlum07
As I watch Duke/Clemson, keep hearing a familiar name as OC for Duke, Kevin Johns. TA did not retain him in that same role here back in the ‘16 to ‘17 transition. While KW was the main play caller back then, for god’s sake, Johns is miles better than TA’s last 2 OC hires of Sheridan and Bell. TA should have mea culpa’d (or, LEO’d if you will) and picked up the phone.

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and DANC
I did not see a single play but just what did really expect with 2 quarterbacks each with less than 10 plays of college experience between them? Playing against one of the top defenses in the country.
It's almost like if we expected mediocrity from inexperienced quarterbacks, CTA and Bell should have expected it as well and actually recruited a veteran quarterback. How many times do the fans need to be smarter than the coaches before the coaches quit doing dumb stuff? It's so hard to trust them to do the hard stuff when they trip on the easy stuff.

As I watch Duke/Clemson, keep hearing a familiar name as OC for Duke, Kevin Johns. TA did not retain him in that same role here back in the ‘16 to ‘17 transition. While KW was the main play caller back then, for god’s sake, Johns is miles better than TA’s last 2 OC hires of Sheridan and Bell. TA should have mea culpa’d (or, LEO’d if you will) and picked up the phone.

A couple takeaways from the Duke game:

1. This is a true basketball school, not a pretend basketball school.
2. They value having a football program. Mike Elko and is miles ahead what IU would consider.
3. They won 9 games last year. The last time IU won 9 games was 1967.
4. Fortunes will improve for IU when it is eventually out of the Big Ten. It cannot continue to try and live in the high rent district while contributing nothing to the sport.

Dolson runs a small time operation exactly like you would expect he would. He’s better suited running a program like U of Indy or St. Francis.

This level is entirely over his head.

This is where the results and residual effects (recruiting) of Year 1 of Bell was so detrimental…
Year 1 offensively was such an unmitigated disaster that when considering results, points and on film, what even average transfer portal QB with some experience elsewhere looked at this IU QB situation as nothing more than the great unknown?? Other than likely playing time, why would ANY Portal QB have seriously considered IU? Let’s see, they changed their Offensive philosophy in-season, had no running game, have had multiple QBs get hurt the last few seasons and they fire the OL coach in early-October. “No thanks!!!” says the qb transfer target. “I will continue to look elsewhere.”

Reactions: IU73 and DANC
After every loss, fans want somebody fired. I understand the frustration, but this team will be much, much better than last year's team.
Much much better and still be 3-9 or 4-8 because of a very tough schedule, sad to say. Hope I am very wrong! Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting like crazy for these guys to succeed but it will be tough to overcome the odds with the inexperienced QBs and some winnable games that unfortunately are away from home. Hope D. Williams gets back soon enough to help us out this season.
Go Hoosiers!

I didn’t like how they kept running Jaylin up the middle, too small of a back for that, he did better getting to the outside
That was one frustrating thing on offense. The other was lack of ingenuity. When we are inferior on offensive talent in comparison to the defense we need trickery at times to fool OSU. Things like reverses, draws, screens and even occasional passes to the tight end might have been worth trying.

Much much better and still be 3-9 or 4-8 because of a very tough schedule, sad to say. Hope I am very wrong! Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting like crazy for these guys to succeed but it will be tough to overcome the odds with the inexperienced QBs and some winnable games that unfortunately are away from home. Hope D. Williams gets back soon enough to help us out this season.
Go Hoosiers!
I think they'll win more than that, I really do.

That was one frustrating thing on offense. The other was lack of ingenuity. When we are inferior on offensive talent in comparison to the defense we need trickery at times to fool OSU. Things like reverses, draws, screens and even occasional passes to the tight end might have been worth trying.
Ohio state has the luxury of not having to gamble on defense. They can rush just three or four players and everybody else stays home. Conversely when you're offensive line sucks the tight end has to stay in and block and is no longer a receiver.

The Ohio State defense had too much speed and they were able to cover everything that was attempted outside. The Hoosiers tried a couple of reverses but the defense stayed home and those plays had little chance of working.

Reactions: Chriselli and IU73
No way this guy lasts the season. Just befuddling the offense that was shown
It was an inauspicious start, but you may be surprised how much better we are as the year goes along.

Going against O$U isn't a good measure. I was impressed we didn't turn the ball over and didn't have a crazy number of penalties. I wasn't as impressed with the OL as some were - hopefully their pass pro improves and we can actually start to run the ball effectively.

Give our QBs time to get used to actually playing college football. If they don't, then pray Dexter starts.

After every loss, fans want somebody fired. I understand the frustration, but this team will be much, much better than last year's team.
Let's see what the injury bug looks like this year. There are 14 seniors starting right now and I imagine a lot of them are transfer players.

I have no idea what the hoosier's depth is but if history repeats itself we'll have a pretty good idea by mid-season.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
We tried a reverse and got nothing.

We threw to the TE and the pass went over his head.

We tried a QB draw and got very little.

We tried those things - they didn't work against O$U. They are too fast and experienced to be fooled.

I'd rather have seen a more traditional passing offense, but Bell didn't consult me.

when he pulled the ball.

Even the greatest OC needs players to work with

Reactions: indy1203 and DANC
I'll just leave this here...

I thought two plays, one by each QB, showed some potential--

--Jackson's throw to Camper going across the middle was impressive (also, his overthrown "bomb" into double coverage showed he has an arm); and

--Sorsby evaded about 3 defenders, sprinted to his right at full speed, and threw a laser about 20 yards down the field (although the play was called back for a penalty).

I also thought, in general, that these guys showed greater composure most of the time when under pressure than did our 2 veteran QBs last year.

So.....although the overall production was certainly less than satisfactory, those plays did get my attention.

A couple takeaways from the Duke game:

1. This is a true basketball school, not a pretend basketball school.
2. They value having a football program. Mike Elko and is miles ahead what IU would consider.
3. They won 9 games last year. The last time IU won 9 games was 1967.
4. Fortunes will improve for IU when it is eventually out of the Big Ten. It cannot continue to try and live in the high rent district while contributing nothing to the sport.

Dolson runs a small time operation exactly like you would expect he would. He’s better suited running a program like U of Indy or St. Francis.

This level is entirely over his head.

Now there is the gloomy BRCB we all know.

I bet I wasn't the only one that was concerned for you when you were actually had some positive things to say after the game!

Reactions: DANC
Go Hoosiers!
We need to recruit better, but how with a losing record? Everyone wants to play for a winner.

I did not see a single play but just what did really expect with 2 quarterbacks each with less than 10 plays of college experience between them? Playing against one of the top defenses in the country.

Also, the 8 win 2019 team with DeBoer as OC was similarly if not more manhandled by OSU in the 3rd game of the season. IU had 5 negative yardage SERIES in 2019, and none this past weekend. The vast majority of IUs yards and lone TD in 2019 occurred after IU was down 27+ points. The game this past weekend told us nothing about this IU team

Also, the 8 win 2019 team with DeBoer as OC was similarly if not more manhandled by OSU in the 3rd game of the season. IU had 5 negative yardage SERIES in 2019, and none this past weekend. The vast majority of IUs yards and lone TD in 2019 occurred after IU was down 27+ points. The game this past weekend told us nothing about this IU team

Damn it man, don't bring facts into this thread!
The negative fringe wants to rip the coaches, AD, Admin and players.

Damn it man, don't bring facts into this thread!
The negative fringe wants to rip the coaches, AD, Admin and players.
Look, it’s a new season, but we’ve won 2 of our last 19 Big Ten games, with most of the losses by double digit margins. I’m not a fan of ripping players and coaches, but I’m not sure what the “negative fringe” should do in the face of those results. Rip players and coaches? No. But it’s not okay to even question the leadership that’s responsible for the program? Should that really be off limits?

I think it told us a little.

Defense has a chance of being pretty stout. Wanna bet how many times O$U is held to 23 or fewer this season?

Offense was rough, but their front 7 is awfully stout. We'll know what we have after Louisville.
Agree. I think teams probably will have a good idea as to how to attack our offense, and that’s going to really pressure the D (which will need to stay healthy).

Reactions: Chriselli
Not many teams have the personnel to attack an offense better than O$U.

Saturday was a huge positive that our defense kept them in check. I don't remember many games against us when they had more field goals than touchdowns.

I expect our offense to look good Friday. But if we do that only will tell us a little as well.

We'll know what we're made of after Louisville.

Not many teams have the personnel to attack an offense better than O$U.

Saturday was a huge positive that our defense kept them in check. I don't remember many games against us when they had more field goals than touchdowns.

I expect our offense to look good Friday. But if we do that only will tell us a little as well.

We'll know what we're made of after Louisville.
Agree. Wish we were playing a quality opponent . . . That’s how we’ll improve.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I would be pleasantly shocked if we have over 450 yards against Indiana State. This offense is going to get slightly better as the season progresses, but I don't think it'll be better than about 12th in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT