ADVERTISEMENT

Worst OC in the nation.

Now there is the gloomy BRCB we all know.

I bet I wasn't the only one that was concerned for you when you were actually had some positive things to say after the game!

I like to balance it all out Al.

My shot there was just a general complaint about our administration and their historical ineptitude and what it produced here.

Agree. I think teams probably will have a good idea as to how to attack our offense, and that’s going to really pressure the D (which will need to stay healthy).

After watching the replay, it was absolutely amazing and putrid at the same time that on a couple of their really key pass completions for OSU there was some blatant holding there that kept the QB clean. I didn’t realize that holding onto a defender’s arm as they are trying to rush off the edge was now legal. Some of it was blatant.

Let's see what the injury bug looks like this year. There are 14 seniors starting right now and I imagine a lot of them are transfer players.

I have no idea what the hoosier's depth is but if history repeats itself we'll have a pretty good idea by mid-season.
So far so good. Seems like in past years we'd have already lost someone.

I would be pleasantly shocked if we have over 450 yards against Indiana State. This offense is going to get slightly better as the season progresses, but I don't think it'll be better than about 12th in the conference.
We are going to have to figure out which QB can throw consistently in order to be viable. Sorsby has the bigger arm but neither showed much in G1.

The OL looked markedly better against a tremendous defensive front. The option allowed the box to be spread and the guys to work.

We have plenty of quality teams on our schedule. We don't need to play one every week. Plus you get better in practice not games.
You get better in both. But you don’t hit nearly as much in practice as was once the case, so games matter more to improvement. And Indiana State won’t be much more than practice, except most of the team watches instead of works. Better competition makes you better.

O$U didn’t take IU’s offense seriously AT ALL. Their DC is laughing at Walt Bell.

Pretty lame logic knowing IUFB offered 2 new QB's as co-starters and the Buckeyes were loaded with lateral speed in the front 7. + good chance '23' offense not running at breakneck speed. Neutralizing the LOS was the focus. JK wanted containment outside. Their team is built with that kind of talent.

Reactions: DANC
A couple takeaways from the Duke game:

1. This is a true basketball school, not a pretend basketball school.
2. They value having a football program. Mike Elko and is miles ahead what IU would consider.
3. They won 9 games last year. The last time IU won 9 games was 1967.
4. Fortunes will improve for IU when it is eventually out of the Big Ten. It cannot continue to try and live in the high rent district while contributing nothing to the sport.

Dolson runs a small time operation exactly like you would expect he would. He’s better suited running a program like U of Indy or St. Francis.

This level is entirely over his head.
1. Duke is going through a major regime change replacing arguably the greatest basketball coach of all-time. Duke wasn't a basketball school pre-Coach K and the fact remains to be seen post Coach K. They just hired an assistant with zero prior coaching experience.
2. Values having a program? On what grounds? Mike Elko had the same college head coaching experience as Tom Allen when he was hired. You would absolutely lose your shit if IU hired a coordinator to replace Allen. I believe Elko is currently the lowest paid coach in the ACC and paid well less than Allen.
3. Not including the bowl game, they beat exactly one team with a winning record last year; Wake Forest the last game of the year and avoided the two best teams teams in the ACC in Clemson and Florida State as well as avoided Notre Dame. Duke had the 113th hardest schedule last year (out of 131 teams) and the easiest schedule of any P5 team. Conversely IU played the 8th toughest schedule. The last time IU had a schedule that remotely compared to Duke they went...checks notes....8-4 and that still included games against OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. Tom Allen was the coach that year.
4. Keep dreaming, it'll never happen.

I know you love to run on narratives, at least root them in facts. Duke looked good Monday night, I won't deny. But the bigger story is just how bad Clemson looked. This Clemson team isn't remotely close to Clemson of last year let alone the national title contending Clemson teams with Watson and Lawrence.

Last edited:
I would be pleasantly shocked if we have over 450 yards against Indiana State. This offense is going to get slightly better as the season progresses, but I don't think it'll be better than about 12th in the conference.
I think we'll win a lot of games if we keep turnovers and penalties low. Our defense looks good enough to keep us in any game and the offense has nowhere to go but up. O$U is just not a good measure, plus 1st real game for our QBs.

We've got a lot of portal players who will start to mesh as the season goes on. They're hungry to make their mark and I saw some guys playing like junkyard dogs Saturday.

This team has a huge upside, imo, if our coaching is up to par.

Well we better vs the Trees

Well we better vs the Trees
Yeah, I want over 100 yards passing from each QB and at least 200 on the ground. Offense needs to open up in a big way to feel confident against Louisville in two weeks.

It's almost like if we expected mediocrity from inexperienced quarterbacks, CTA and Bell should have expected it as well and actually recruited a veteran quarterback. How many times do the fans need to be smarter than the coaches before the coaches quit doing dumb stuff? It's so hard to trust them to do the hard stuff when they trip on the easy stuff.
I would be surprised if they didn’t try. The truth is no one else was coming once Jackson committed. The line of QBs pining for IU is a short one and no-one transfers to sit behind a freshman. Any QB with half a brain could see Jackson would have the inside track.

I would be surprised if they didn’t try. The truth is no one else was coming once Jackson committed. The line of QBs pining for IU is a short one and no-one transfers to sit behind a freshman. Any QB with half a brain could see Jackson would have the inside track.
That's the problem, not the game plan. It's year 7 for Allen and IU is rotating between two QBs who have never played QB in college. And the guy coming back maybe later in the season has only thrown a handful of completions.

Kalen DeBoer's first game as OC was against Ball State, I believe the game was at the Luc. After that game people pissed and moaned about the offense. What I said was that I was very encouraged. No, statistically it was not a great game but you could see it was there. The timing was just a little bit off still. I think my exact words were 'This guy has the touch, just wait, you'll see."
Of course the present situation is not analogous in that I am not convinced that WB has the touch. However, it is very plain to me that what we saw Saturday was a shell of what this offense will be in a few weeks. Friday we'll see a lot more production but I still anticipate it being a little vanilla overall. They'll still run a lot of their base looks and work on ironing out the wrinkles so that they can begin to build upon that foundation. The play calls will be a lot more dynamic by Louisville but of course whether those plays are productive is another thing. I'm not excusing what happened against Ohio St but the context is important. As always I urge patience as we see how things evolve.

Last edited:
I like to balance it all out Al.

My shot there was just a general complaint about our administration and their historical ineptitude and what it produced here.

Balance it all out??? Really.
So I positive post for every 50 negative posts is balancing it out?

You and I have different definitions for balancing.

We are going to have to figure out which QB can throw consistently in order to be viable. Sorsby has the bigger arm but neither showed much in G1.

The OL looked markedly better against a tremendous defensive front. The option allowed the box to be spread and the guys to work.
The OL looked markedly better because we now have Bostad. Good
things to follow.

Also, the 8 win 2019 team with DeBoer as OC was similarly if not more manhandled by OSU in the 3rd game of the season. IU had 5 negative yardage SERIES in 2019, and none this past weekend. The vast majority of IUs yards and lone TD in 2019 occurred after IU was down 27+ points. The game this past weekend told us nothing about this IU team
We all have our thoughts , but it told me that this staff simply does not have the ability to promptly and properly evaluate offensive players and develop them. I have said Sorsby was IU's guy for 6 weeks. IU is instead playing "pitter patter." Because of that, whichever QB starts the Louisville game will be doing so with half the live game snaps they needed and should have had to be as prepared as possible for a lynchpin game for the Hoosiers' season. Louisville has a proven quarterback that will be in a rhythm by game three and a coach the damn sure will not be paying "pitter patter" offensively. If the Hoosiers lose to the Cardinals the road goes vertical.

And that 2019 OSU team had 6 All-Americans on it and went 12-0 before losing to Clemson in the National Championship Semi-Final game. On the offensive side they had current Chicago Bears QB Justin Fields. Recently the San Francisco 49'ers made Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. He was also on that OSU team. And imo Kalen DeBoer is probably the best OC in IUFB history....

We all have our thoughts , but it told me that this staff simply does not have the ability to promptly and properly evaluate offensive players and develop them. I have said Sorsby was IU's guy for 6 weeks. IU is instead playing "pitter patter." Because of that, whichever QB starts the Louisville game will be doing so with half the live game snaps they needed and should have had to be as prepared as possible for a lynchpin game for the Hoosiers' season. Louisville has a proven quarterback that will be in a rhythm by game three and a coach the damn sure will not be paying "pitter patter" offensively. If the Hoosiers lose to the Cardinals the road goes vertical.

And that 2019 OSU team had 6 All-Americans on it and went 12-0 before losing to Clemson in the National Championship Semi-Final game. On the offensive side they had current Chicago Bears QB Justin Fields. Recently the San Francisco 49'ers made Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. He was also on that OSU team. And imo Kalen DeBoer is probably the best OC in IUFB history....
Allen seems to be so intent on not hurting anyone's feelings (Jackson, Ramsey, and Tuttle) that he can't make a commitment to a QB. In the end, it hurts the actual starting QB and pisses those guys off anyway. He's afraid the non-starter will hit the Portal, and he's not always wrong, but that's football today. C'est la vie.

The O$U team this year is a monster on Defense. I think just the fact we didn't have a major injury was a 'win'. Yes, I would have liked to have seen a more wide-open offense, but Bell knows his QBs - and I don't think he has any confidence in either one in the passing game.

Deboer is the best COACH in IU FB history, imo, and he's proving it in Washington. Some might argue for Mallory being the best and they could make a good case. But we flopped in some big games with him.

You get better in both. But you don’t hit nearly as much in practice as was once the case, so games matter more to improvement. And Indiana State won’t be much more than practice, except most of the team watches instead of works. Better competition makes you better.
I will continue to disagree You can control situations in practice. You ask the scout team to run a certain play against a certain front or coverage. You can get instant feedback and correct mistakes immediately. Yes you can get better in games but most improvement comes in practice. And you don't have to play a better team to improve.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I will continue to disagree You can control situations in practice. You ask the scout team to run a certain play against a certain front or coverage. You can get instant feedback and correct mistakes immediately. Yes you can get better in games but most improvement comes in practice. And you don't have to play a better team to improve.
We can disagree here. I think you get better in both, not just practice. I do understand that practice allows for control of the scenarios, but games offer better competition, and we definitely disagree there. I’ve always believed better competition makes you better, quicker.

We can disagree here. I think you get better in both, not just practice. I do understand that practice allows for control of the scenarios, but games offer better competition, and we definitely disagree there. I’ve always believed better competition makes you better, quicker.
Obviously the more reps you get the better you will become. But you don't have to go out and play Top 25 teams week in and week out and get beat up mentally and physically to get better. It actually can work against very easily.

Obviously the more reps you get the better you will become. But you don't have to go out and play Top 25 teams week in and week out and get beat up mentally and physically to get better. It actually can work against very easily.
No claim was made or suggestion offered that we should ”go out and play Top 25 teams week in and week out and get beat up mentally and physically to get better“ but rather that improvement does come in games and practice, not just practice as you stated. Further, there’s no question the level of competition matters, and I doubt Indiana State is Top 100, let alone Top 25.

The SEC figured that out a long time ago.

No claim was made or suggestion offered that we should ”go out and play Top 25 teams week in and week out and get beat up mentally and physically to get better“ but rather that improvement does come in games and practice, not just practice as you stated. Further, there’s no question the level of competition matters, and I doubt Indiana State is Top 100, let alone Top 25.
The Hoosiers are a 31 point favorite tonight over the Indiana State Sycamores. It is safe to say that the Sycamorees would not be ranked in the top 100.

I didn’t like how they kept running Jaylin up the middle, too small of a back for that, he did better getting to the outside
If you believe the tale of the tape he's about the same size as Archie Griffin but faster. And at 5'9" he is an inch taller than Barry Sanders but Barry weighs 13 lb more. Jalen is listed as 5 ft 9 in tall and his weight varies somewhere between 170 lb and 185 lb.

I'll go with 5 ft 6 in tall 150 lb. But he runs a 40 in 4.29 seconds and that is the great equalizer

If you believe the tale of the tape he's about the same size as Archie Griffin but faster. And at 5'9" he is an inch taller than Barry Sanders but Barry weighs 13 lb more. Jalen is listed as 5 ft 9 in tall and his weight varies somewhere between 170 lb and 185 lb.

I'll go with 5 ft 6 in tall 150 lb. But he runs a 40 in 4.29 seconds and that is the great equalizer
Yeah, no way he is 5'9 and only weighs 15 pounds less than Barry Sanders

Reactions: midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT