ADVERTISEMENT

re UCLA hiring Eric Bieniemy as OC

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I’m struggling to remember an NFL OC moving to be a college OC (Yes, I recognize NFL OCs have become ahead coaches).

wondering what you guys think about what this likely means for UCLA’s offense this year. Will there be painful adjustments for Bieniemy (given different talent level, potential for a mis-match in his preferred style vs. types of players that are on the roster, etc.)?? I think it is a fascinating situation.

I’m struggling to remember an NFL OC moving to be a college OC (Yes, I recognize NFL OCs have become ahead coaches).

wondering what you guys think about what this likely means for UCLA’s offense this year. Will there be painful adjustments for Bieniemy (given different talent level, potential for a mis-match in his preferred style vs. types of players that are on the roster, etc.)?? I think it is a fascinating situation.
I think his biggest adjustment beside the talent level will be if he changes his approach to players as he was pretty toxic in the NFL. I think it is a good short time move by UCLA but I don't know how it will work in the long run.

From what I’ve heard, Chip Kelly was actively seeking any viable coaching position his last two years at UCLA. The university has demonstrated little investment or interest in big time football.

Unless this changes with the move to the Big Ten, the job will be a coaching graveyard.

Was he an NFL OC or was it Andy Reid? Remember we got an NFL runningback coach from that same team to drop down to join us. So.. yeah

Reactions: Rags to Roses
From what I’ve heard, Chip Kelly was actively seeking any viable coaching position his last two years at UCLA. The university has demonstrated little investment or interest in big time football.

Unless this changes with the move to the Big Ten, the job will be a coaching graveyard.
UCLA will likely have financial issues for awhile. IIRC they were on the verge of needing to cut Olympic sports because of budget constraints before the B1G deal happened. They also have to pay the California “tax” to other state schools on the money they get from B1G

UCLA will likely have financial issues for awhile. IIRC they were on the verge of needing to cut Olympic sports because of budget constraints before the B1G deal happened. They also have to pay the California “tax” to other state schools on the money they get from B1G
Wonder if they'll relocate to another state (like the Raiders) lol jj

There seems to be a lot of angst here on UCLA joining the B1G. I don't understand it. UCLA, IMHO, is interchangeable with Minnesota or Maryland. Sure they play in the Rose Bowl and are in the glitzy LA market. It seems to me the hype truly outpaces reality.

There seems to be a lot of angst here on UCLA joining the B1G. I don't understand it. UCLA, IMHO, is interchangeable with Minnesota or Maryland. Sure they play in the Rose Bowl and are in the glitzy LA market. It seems to me the hype truly outpaces reality.
I agree that UCLA is overhyped, but they do have a bigger national brand than a Minnesota or Maryland (I think UCLA is similar to Nebraska in that way). I think they were the prime candidate of the west coast teams to get run over by average B1G programs and by them relying on an unexperienced HC part way through Spring practices my conviction level is higher. I expect to win our game vs. the Bruins even though it is on the road (which will probably be a sign to the national press regarding how bad the UCLA program is :-/

I agree that UCLA is overhyped, but they do have a bigger national brand than a Minnesota or Maryland (I think UCLA is similar to Nebraska in that way). I think they were the prime candidate of the west coast teams to get run over by average B1G programs and by them relying on an unexperienced HC part way through Spring practices my conviction level is higher. I expect to win our game vs. the Bruins even though it is on the road (which will probably be a sign to the national press regarding how bad the UCLA program is :-/

Honestly, I still think of UCLA as a basketball school. Like IU, their hoops program has lost a lot of cache.

As far as football, had I not grown up watching the annual USC-UCLA game (as it was one of the few televised games back in the 70s), I wouldn't think twice of them.

I most certainly would not consider them in the same category as Nebraska in football. Then again, I think Nebraska football has gone the way of UCLA & IU basketball; once proud, dominating programs that are now mere shells of their former selves.

Honestly, I still think of UCLA as a basketball school. Like IU, their hoops program has lost a lot of cache.

As far as football, had I not grown up watching the annual USC-UCLA game (as it was one of the few televised games back in the 70s), I wouldn't think twice of them.

I most certainly would not consider them in the same category as Nebraska in football. Then again, I think Nebraska football has gone the way of UCLA & IU basketball; once proud, dominating programs that are now mere shells of their former selves.
How have they lost their “cache” in hoops? They just played for a National Championship a few years ago and have been to 3 straight sweet 16’s and PAC 12 titles. I’d be fairly happy if we’d done that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT