ADVERTISEMENT

Worst game managing coach I’ve ever seen

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
It keeps happening over and over and over again.

Good effort. Shit execution when needed. Horrible play calling at key times…(I think at times when Allen likely weighs in…after timeouts, etc). And then just epically bad clock management decisions. You call a timeout to come out and run a straightforward dive in to the teeth of their defense.

Probably not gonna need that timeout…

He’s so bad. Frustrating.

The new clock rules are causing lots of coaches problems. The 2 timeouts used were both on Jackson. Young qb.
Could be…or…they could have had them ready for it. 3rd game of the season and all. Louisville didn’t seem to have any issues.

And it came after a review/timeout. Not a valid excuse in this situation.

First half timeouts. Definitely.

Could be…or…they could have had them ready for it. 3rd game of the season and all. Louisville didn’t seem to have any issues.

And it came after a review/timeout. Not a valid excuse in this situation.

First half timeouts. Definitely.
That’s because Louisville was playing with a lead. The clock will take some getting used too. Also. Holding them to zero points was pretty impressive. Louisville is the better team by a lot.

That’s because Louisville was playing with a lead. The clock will take some getting used too. Also. Holding them to zero points was pretty impressive. Louisville is the better team by a lot.
So calling two timeouts to run a dive play, when you had plenty of time to prepare them for 1) extra point 2) half yard line play call… is ok? Then running an unblocked dive play. Had nothing to do with the new clock rules. And if it was the first time this had happened with one of his teams…then yeah, give the blame to the player. But this happens in nearly every close game his teams have. New clock or old.

His teams effort has never been the issue. Today…good effort for half the game. LVille is better, we made a game of it. Not all bad. Just tired of Allen making things harder on his kids, instead of helping them.

Our defense did adjust well but they are better coached with better personnel. IU needs to change the entire approach to the athletic department and I believe they should start at the top with the AD. Find someone who knows football.

Hire one of the two assistant coaches that won the games at IU with Penix at QB and took IU to a bowl.

Hire one of the two assistant coaches that won the games at IU with Penix at QB and took IU to a bowl.

The guy you are talking about here is really Kane Wommack. He just went in to Stillwater and bitch slapped OSU to the tune of 33-7. He’s a winner. Along with DeBoer, they were the acting head coaches of those two teams.

The guy you are talking about here is really Kane Wommack. He just went in to Stillwater and bitch slapped OSU to the tune of 33-7. He’s a winner. Along with DeBoer, they were the acting head coaches of those two teams.
Womack has a contract extension until 2028. Would probably have to buy his contract along with Allen.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The useless waste of timeots on Offense early in Halves is an ongoing problem, and an indication of a poorly coached poorly executing Offense. That said, the two timeouts in the first half didn't affect the outcome, bwecause Louisville had the ball to end the half and decided to run out the clock.

I have two problems with use of timeouts in the second half.

1 . The timeout taken before the 4th and goal play is questionable, Yes You have a young QB and You want to et the play call right. You had Louisville on their heels and scrambling. By taking the TO, you give them the chance to go to the sideline and regroup their Defense and possibly substitute fresh players. Use your advantage and go up and run the play without taking the TO.

2 , With the new clock rules, You really need to use Your To's on Defense earlier in the process and not worry about saving any for offense. With under 2 minutes left You are back to the old rules about stoppi ng the clock by stepping out of bounds or n first downs to reset the chains.

When Louisville got the ball back with 4 minutes left, I would have used my timeout after the first play. You need to force them to run as many plays as possible in hopes of causing a mistake or causing a turnover. Doing so may have forced Louisville to run one or two more plays.

No way deboer leaves Washington for IU. Womack will get a power 5 offer better than IU. I’m not sure IU ever had a chance to get deboer. He’s a west coast guy.

The year he left or the year he was hired at Washington? I’m not sure we could’ve gotten him either time. He’s a west coast guy. He made the right choice both times.
Before he left. Or we could have beaten UW to the punch when he was at Fresno. But that would have taken dynamic, forward thinking leadership, we ain't got that

Reactions: indy1203
Before he left. Or we could have beaten UW to the punch when he was at Fresno. But that would have taken dynamic, forward thinking leadership, we ain't got that
Allen was coming off two bowl season and maybe the best 2.5 year stretch in a long time so throw that out the window. No way IU was in position either time to offer him. The timing both times was terrible. Womack maybe but deboer was never even an option. Still isn’t.

Allen was coming off two bowl season and maybe the best 2.5 year stretch in a long time so throw that out the window. No way IU was in position either time to offer him. The timing both times was terrible. Womack maybe but deboer was never even an option. Still isn’t.
Like I said. It would have taken the kind of leadership we ain't got. Forward thinking, get your head out of the sand kind of leadership.

Like I said. It would have taken the kind of leadership we ain't got. Forward thinking, get your head out of the sand kind of leadership.
Who would’ve fired a first year head coach? Nobody was running around wanting Kalen until after his first year. Even then no power 5 wanted him. It was after he went home that people started looking at him. I just don’t understand how anyone would’ve given him a power 5 job after 1 year as a power 5 OC. Hell Allen had a better resume to that point(not by much). There was no reason to that point or justification to fire Allen and hire Deboer. Hindsight is 20/20 but even a blind man understands why he isn’t our head coach. No forward thinker would’ve done differently in this circumstance. I’m not sure even Deboar would be successful here.

Who would’ve fired a first year head coach? Nobody was running around wanting Kalen until after his first year. Even then no power 5 wanted him. It was after he went home that people started looking at him. I just don’t understand how anyone would’ve given him a power 5 job after 1 year as a power 5 OC. Hell Allen had a better resume to that point(not by much). There was no reason to that point or justification to fire Allen and hire Deboer. Hindsight is 20/20 but even a blind man understands why he isn’t our head coach. No forward thinker would’ve done differently in this circumstance. I’m not sure even Deboar would be successful here.
Everybody here knew it and it was discussed but it wasn’t going to happen. Deboer has been a winner at every level and as the HC. Allen has no such resume. The timing just wasn’t there.

They wouldn’t have. There’s just dumbnuts on this board spewing unrealistic monkey poo.

Blind. That's a good description of our athletic department

Everybody here knew it and it was discussed but it wasn’t going to happen. Deboer has been a winner at every level and as the HC. Allen has no such resume. The timing just wasn’t there.
lol. No they didn’t. They did after the fact hindsight stuff but not in 2019 or 2020. At the time Allen did have the better resume. No power 5 jumped to get Deboar for OC or HC. That’s silly talk. It was only after he was taking the HC job at SDS that people wanted him to stay. Not for the HC but for a better shot at a p5. Not the HC job here. Go back and look because I did.

Last edited:
lol. No they didn’t. They did after the fact hindsight stuff but not in 2019 or 2020.
And 25-30 mill buyout. You guys are ridiculous. How many places buy out a contract like that. God this board is unrealistic.

I wonder if the Colorado AD'S available?

lol. No they didn’t. They did after the fact hindsight stuff but not in 2019 or 2020. At the time Allen did have the better resume. No power 5 jumped to get Deboar for OC or HC. That’s silly talk. It was only after he was taking the HC job at SDS that people wanted him to stay. Not for the HC but for a better shot at a p5. Not the HC job here. Go back and look because I did.
Did some searching but it’s a lot to look through. Will revisit later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT