ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St. Rewatch - Rebounding

Middawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2020
Here's what I noticed in Defensive Rebounding, beyond effort and ball watching, of which I'm sure others have pointed out

1. Being out of position on D or scrambling on D put this team in poor rebounding position at times. Seemed to be more noticeable with MM on the court.

2. Players on the perimeter or near the baseline, or with bad rebounding spacing with a teammate, with no clear blackout, need to gravitate toward open space to be available for a rebound.

3. CJ in particular, Ware, but there are others have to go up with 2 hands to secure rebounds.

4. Long 3 point rebounds so often, come off to the space what I call an elongated oval space below the free throw line, extended toward the sidelines.

Guys on the perimeter need to gravitate to this usually open space on 3s especially.

5. Ware needs to do better work and have better footwork off of pnr actions to not concede rebounding position to the roll guy.

It was noticeable with Ware but I'm sure others could have been better in that regard.

The Ohio St. roll guys were rolling for inside rebounding position nearly exclusively and all too often they got it, which caused havoc below the bucket.

6. On the coaching staff.

Zed Key is a high effort, undersized, low talent 4/5 season Big Ten vet who has fouled out of and sat the bench with fouls for his inside play often in his career.

The IU frontline needed to be better prepared for the two handed pushes in the back and the over the backs from Key and their other Bigs.

Especially so, since early on, when it was apparent the refs were going to let most of that physical play go, rebounding on the inside.

I hope Woody was working the refs on the obvious 2 handed pushes in the back that weren't called. This happened to Walker twice in one sequence/possession.

From the players side, in Big Ten play, you gotta be more forceful putting your ass into blocking out, plain and simple.

A guy like Edey and the other Purdue no talent bigs for instance will push you in the back and come over the back all the time if the refs are allowing it.

7. You gotta punish teams in transition if they are sending 3/4 guys to the offensive glass.

Grab the board, quick outlet, and go. Bigs beat their bigs down the court.

8. Two guys going up for an easy board and they knock together, ball goes out of bounds or to the opponent. Saw this too, gotta have better situational awareness. Could verbal a "Mine" or something.

9. Mgbako, Ware, these young guys. You gotta be strong with two hands until the offense clears.

10. For CMW - If the game allows it, in a physical rebounding game inside like that, you consider putting in your enforcer Sparks in for a 2-3 min stretch, in the role to set the hardest screens he can on offense, and to throw his body around rebounding. And tell him you don't give a fock if he picks up a few fouls along the way.

Toughness like shooting is contagious imo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT