ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup: USA in the Group of Death

It's not as bad as I previously thought.

Germany is going to get through, just about guaranteed. It is what it is.

Portugal is very beatable. To steal a Football term, you've got to shade your defense in his direction, but the US could draw, or possibly even sneak out a win. Prediction: if the US beats Portugal, Yanks get through comfortably.

I know we're terrified of Ghana because of the last two WCs, but I have to say that this Ghana team is beatable. They're strong in the midfield, but the US is very strong there as well. I think the US has enough strength at the other positions to win.

Getting Germany last is best case scenario. The travel will be less of a concern for the MLS-seasoned Yankee squad, as well.

We'll see, but I do think the US has a good shot to get through a very, very difficult group.

You can shade as much as you want toward CR7

If he's playing like he is now (and has for the last year), it won't matter. He's been the best player in the world in 2013. Just an unbelievable run of form. He will run circles around US defenders. And it's not like Portugal lacks other talented players. Nani, Joao Moutinho, Meireles, Coentrao, Pepe, etc.

USA will have the advantage of playing Portugal in the Amazon, which I think is the best place to play them.

Ghana is beatable. I think USA has to get 3 points from that match to have a chance at advancing. Anything less and USA is in a lot of trouble.

IUforLife16

Did Portugal become really good all of a sudden?

Sure they have Ronaldo....and he's great.

BUT.........lets not forget how much of a struggle their qualification for the World Cup really was. They struggled against "powerful" foes such as Israel and Luxembourg on their way to Brazil.

USA will need 4 points to qualify. If they don't get points against Ghana in game 1 then they are toast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT