ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you stand on capital punishment?

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
There's a recent story about China's execution of a father and mistress who threw two toddlers off a 15 story balcony, purposely. I personally think China got this one right, assuming the facts as reported are accurate. This is about as heinous and selfish as it gets. That being said, I've always supported the death penalty, among harsher punishment generally.

Do you agree with China's decision given the facts in the article? If not, do you support capital punishment under any other circumstances?

I'm serious. If the public is going to kill people, do it out in the open for all to see. Deterrence, baby.

200w.gif

There's a recent story about China's execution of a father and mistress who threw two toddlers off a 15 story balcony, purposely. I personally think China got this one right, assuming the facts as reported are accurate. This is about as heinous and selfish as it gets. That being said, I've always supported the death penalty, among harsher punishment generally.

Do you agree with China's decision given the facts in the article? If not, do you support capital punishment under any other circumstances?
I’m in favor of the death penalty for the worst, most-abhorrent murders. This qualifies.

That said, the possibility of an innocent person being executed bothers me and I thus would prefer life imprisonment without an opportunity for parole. The case would have to be absolutely clear cut before the imposition of the ultimate.

I wouldn’t mind a convicted murderer having the option of participating in human medical experimentation, where the risk of harm/death is present. Get something out of a wasted human life, something that could advance healthcare, science and medicine. Some ethical issues to be dealt with, but why not get something valuable, if possible?

As long as their is clear cut, 100% proof that the perp did the crime, lets fry the bastard, but only to the worst of the worst.

With that being said, if there's any doubt whatsoever, no. There has been way to many people that have been put to death and then we come to find out that they were innocent in the first place.

That doesn't sit right with me. You can't reverse death, so we better be sure to get this sentence correct.

I’m against it as we know there are examples of innocent folks executed by the state.

I don’t trust any government , panel, judge, or human being if any kind to determine who should be out to death. I’m 100% against capital punishment. And unlike the vast majority of my liberal friends and foes, I’m 99.9% against elective abortion but recognize there are extenuating circumstances to consider in That issue

Reactions: UncleMark

I don't an issue with it, from a moral standpoint.

However I've become more opposed to it from a practical reason. In this country, the legal costs involved with carrying out a capital case are MUCH higher than the cost of a life in prison sentence.

However I've become more opposed to it from a practical reason. In this country, the legal costs involved with carrying out a capital case are MUCH higher than the cost of a life in prison sentence.

Agree on the practical point.

See below regarding any moral qualms:

My understanding of the way it worked is that a mask was put over Kenny Smith’s face, and a lot of experts compared it to putting a plastic bag over someone’s head, just cutting off your access to oxygen.
Yeah, it was just absolutely horrific. I knew that it was going to be much more visceral than lethal injection. A lethal injection looks relatively peaceful because of the paralytic. There’s all sorts of interpretations about what actually happens after the paralytic.​
With this, it looks like someone, like you said, has a bag over their head, and they’re suffocating to death. But an even better comparison is it looks like someone puts their hands around your neck and chokes you out with their bare hands, because that’s what the resistance looks like. I’ve said that it looked like a fish out of water, just on a dock, suffocating to death. But now I’m beginning to think it’s even more violent than that. It feels like it’s someone putting their hands around someone’s neck and choking them out. That’s how he moved, as if someone was physically killing him with their bare hands.​
State officials had said ahead of time the nitrogen gas would make Kenny Smith unconscious within seconds.
Yes, they lied. There’s no other way to describe it. They lied. It was 22 minutes of hell. And it was the most violent thing I’ve ever seen. I was a trauma chaplain at a hospital for a year or so back in Fort Worth—motorcycle crashes, gunshot victims. And this was definitely the most violent thing I’ve ever seen.​

I don’t trust any government , panel, judge, or human being if any kind to determine who should be out to death. I’m 100% against capital punishment. And unlike the vast majority of my liberal friends and foes, I’m 99.9% against elective abortion but recognize there are extenuating circumstances to consider in That issue
At least you're consistent.

My understanding of the way it worked is that a mask was put over Kenny Smith’s face, and a lot of experts compared it to putting a plastic bag over someone’s head, just cutting off your access to oxygen.
Yeah, it was just absolutely horrific. I knew that it was going to be much more visceral than lethal injection. A lethal injection looks relatively peaceful because of the paralytic. There’s all sorts of interpretations about what actually happens after the paralytic.​
With this, it looks like someone, like you said, has a bag over their head, and they’re suffocating to death. But an even better comparison is it looks like someone puts their hands around your neck and chokes you out with their bare hands, because that’s what the resistance looks like. I’ve said that it looked like a fish out of water, just on a dock, suffocating to death. But now I’m beginning to think it’s even more violent than that. It feels like it’s someone putting their hands around someone’s neck and choking them out. That’s how he moved, as if someone was physically killing him with their bare hands.​
State officials had said ahead of time the nitrogen gas would make Kenny Smith unconscious within seconds.
Yes, they lied. There’s no other way to describe it. They lied. It was 22 minutes of hell. And it was the most violent thing I’ve ever seen. I was a trauma chaplain at a hospital for a year or so back in Fort Worth—motorcycle crashes, gunshot victims. And this was definitely the most violent thing I’ve ever seen.​
I don't understand why it's so hard to execute someone. We put people to sleep for operations all the time. Wouldn't it be humane to put them under and then deliver a lethal dose?

I try to be. I’m actually very conservative in my belief system but I’m against capital punishment and I think Trump is potentially the antiChrist (only half joking) so I don’t know where I belong anymore
That's OK. I think Biden IS the anti-Christ (not joking). But I can appreciate your stance on capital punishment. I can see both sides, but if there is absolute proof of a heinous crime, such as killing children, I don't have a problem with it.

Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
I don't understand why it's so hard to execute someone. We put people to sleep for operations all the time. Wouldn't it be humane to put them under and then deliver a lethal dose?
If we are going to have executions, you have described the most humane way.

Reactions: BradStevens

No kidding. I had a colonoscopy a short time ago. They pushed the syringe and I was out like a light immediately. They could have pushed another dose of fentanyl or something and been done with it.

So what is your moral qualm with killing a murderer? That he had to suffer? What about his victim(s)?

Bravo. It's rare for a fervent anti-abortionist to be consistent when it comes to this. Much respect.
Devout Catholics are in opposition to both abortion and the death penalty- I find that consistent valuation of life. Unlike how the political parties come down on the two separate means of ending a human life.

Reactions: UncleMark

Pain and suffering should be used an example for those that commit heinous acts. What's your issue with forcing a murderer or rapist to suffer, particularly since their victims likely did the same?

She's hot. Those kids never had a chance.

• Sad
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

I take exactly the opposite position. I find it morally untenable, but I do think it's socially useful for government to have the power to use it.

So what is your moral qualm with killing a murderer? That he had to suffer? What about his victim(s)?
You seem to feel the state is unerring- you might google “innocent and put to death” Mr team Death- me I know the state has gotten it wrong according to testimony of judges, jurors, etc but then I am not team death- I’m team better knowledge makes a huge difference.

You seem to feel the state is unerring- you might google “innocent and put to death” Mr team Death- me I know the state has gotten it wrong according to testimony of judges, jurors, etc but then I am not team death- I’m team better knowledge makes a huge difference.

How about one that admits their crime?

Pain and suffering should be used an example for those that commit heinous acts. What's your issue with forcing a murderer or rapist to suffer, particularly since their victims likely did the same?
Me personally? None whatsoever. But it's a method to counter the argument that it's inhumane, causing suffering, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT