ADVERTISEMENT

Woody identifying talent / fit in recruiting.

Mental toughness is about competitiveness and it can be shown on both side of the ball. Jordan was notorious for this. I wouldn’t want to play him in Euchre, he’s an assassin with a smile.

Davis took over for Wisky late. Lots of talk here about our O. What about our D? What did we give up late? 13 points in the last 2 minutes????? Being mentally tough can be just as much about getting stops as hitting shots.

Reactions: BB Hoosier
Victor and Cody were talented and used it to their advantage but not necessarily tough in the mental sense. What players aren't really overly talented but tough mentally? Galloway maybe, I like to think. Most of the one's we associate with mental toughness are gifted in the physical sense...lumped together as "talented". Jay Edwards was certainly a gifted player who had the ability to win close games but I don't think he would be classified as mentally tough. If he was, he wouldn't have been so easily swayed to leave college early. Can you imagine a senior year of Jay Edwards? As I've noted before, Hulls, Coverdale, Reed...these were some mentally tough players in my book, along with Ferrell and I'm sure I've missed others...who really knows, it's an ambiguous trait to prove. Mentally toughness isn't succinctly seen in the box score.
Can you imagine Jay as a sr with the incoming class his jr year? May have been the 2nd most talented player Knight had behind Zeke . Likely was and all problems aside he had , Watching Jay and that 89 team excell? Basically takes one player like that because lets face it who else did they have? Lyndon was co Mr Basketball but no where close the player and maybe he helped get jay to IU because I was shocked. Jay in Curry's NBA may have been better if he had the drive I think he was that good. Bob knew it, he knew he had a great class coming in so it was easier to tell him to go NBA but I'm pretty sure Jay had a lot longer leash than anyone else on that 89 team would have. Smoking Joe Hillman( I mean that shooting not smoking) holding things together, Todd Jadlow? May well have been Knights best coaching job to cruise the Big10 and 2 other teams make final four

Reactions: Orbit7958
Can you imagine Jay as a sr with the incoming class his jr year? May have been the 2nd most talented player Knight had behind Zeke . Likely was and all problems aside he had , Watching Jay and that 89 team excell? Basically takes one player like that because lets face it who else did they have? Lyndon was co Mr Basketball but no where close the player and maybe he helped get jay to IU because I was shocked. Jay in Curry's NBA may have been better if he had the drive I think he was that good. Bob knew it, he knew he had a great class coming in so it was easier to tell him to go NBA but I'm pretty sure Jay had a lot longer leash than anyone else on that 89 team would have. Smoking Joe Hillman( I mean that shooting not smoking) holding things together, Todd Jadlow? May well have been Knights best coaching job to cruise the Big10 and 2 other teams make final four
Joe Hillman was a mentally tough one I forgot to mention. He was a very likable guy, much like Galloway is today. The women love those types. It might be in the eyes, but hell, what do I know but what mine seem to see.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Victor and Cody were talented and used it to their advantage but not necessarily tough in the mental sense. What players aren't really overly talented but tough mentally? Galloway maybe, I like to think. Most of the one's we associate with mental toughness are gifted in the physical sense...lumped together as "talented". Jay Edwards was certainly a gifted player who had the ability to win close games but I don't think he would be classified as mentally tough. If he was, he wouldn't have been so easily swayed to leave college early. Can you imagine a senior year of Jay Edwards? As I've noted before, Hulls, Coverdale, Reed...these were some mentally tough players in my book, along with Ferrell and I'm sure I've missed others...who really knows, it's an ambiguous trait to prove. Mentally toughness isn't succinctly seen in the box score.
I remember Cody as being tough as nails and he always kept his cool no matter what. One year when Illinois came to town with Meyers Leonard who for those who don't remember was a very talented 7'1" center who now plays for the Heat in the NBA. Meyers had a huge first half against Cody and hit every shot he took. He started to get cocky about it too. Early in the 2nd half Cody got the ball near the basket with Meyers on his backside. Cody turned and went basically right up into and over him for a basket and on the way up he caught Meyers with an elbow to the jaw and Meyers didn't do squat the rest of the game.

You can see it in this clip at the 10 sec mark.

Woody isn’t going to out scheme anyone. He will win or lose based on talent. We need a roster of top 50 recruits if we’re going to win big. Guys like Gunn and Bates consistently won’t get it done. Recruiting will determine succeed or fail in the next couple years.

Reactions: bailey777
I remember Cody as being tough as nails and he always kept his cool no matter what. One year when Illinois came to town with Meyers Leonard who for those who don't remember was a very talented 7'1" center who now plays for the Heat in the NBA. Meyers had a huge first half against Cody and hit every shot he took. He started to get cocky about it too. Early in the 2nd half Cody got the ball near the basket with Meyers on his backside. Cody turned and went basically right up into and over him for a basket and on the way up he caught Meyers with an elbow to the jaw and Meyers didn't do squat the rest of the game.

You can see it in this clip at the 10 sec mark.

I had forgotten how good Cody was, how tough. TJD is no Cody Z in effectiveness. Some may disagree. Cody was so quiet and unassuming, just doing his job. He didn't need to showboat.

Woody isn’t going to out scheme anyone. He will win or lose based on talent. We need a roster of top 50 recruits if we’re going to win big. Guys like Gunn and Bates consistently won’t get it done. Recruiting will determine succeed or fail in the next couple years.
As easy as that? You need to get this info to him immediately! Well...maybe better to arrange a buttload of NIL money first or enroll him in an advanced hypnotism class.

Last edited:
No we do not lack talent we have enough talent to make the tourney. I know it is a convienent excuse to justify our record and our tanking but there is enough talent to make the ncaa listen to any IU reporter, etc they all think we have enough talent to make the ncaa this year. The team just has a very low bbal iq.

Painter does not run an NBA offencs where you need superior talent to break your guy down off the dribble. Neither does Wisconsin. For this NBA offense to work well you will likley need guys who are very athletic and probably highly ranked. I do not think the NBA offense can succeed if Woodson recruited a bunch of Wisconsin type guys. He is going to need to get very athletic and probably highly ranked guys.
I respectfully disagree with your comments about our talent level. I see guards and wings, outside of X, who can’t get open for a shot or create one on their own. And X hurts you as much as he helps you when looking at his overall game. In my view we are among the least talented teams in the conference. TJD, our most talented player, is forced to play in the post against taller players who he can’t dominate. He practically has no right hand. There’s no big forward who can consistently step out at the mid range and nail jumpers. The only players on the team who I think are actually better than they were last year are Race and Trey. We need a vast upgrade real quick.

Ohhh top 50 guys... not like Bates... got it!

Recruiting usually does determine success or failure. Thanks for the insight.

Recruiting usually does determine success or failure. Thanks for the insight.
For the better part of 15 years I’ve been told we don’t want to recruit like Duke or UK. We want 4 year Indiana 3 star recruits. They can keep the all Americans. We see how that’s worked.

We lack an Alpha.
^^^^^ This. The teams above us in the B1G standings all have at least one great offensive player who can score in multiple ways. We have no one who can do that. Individually we are incredibly easy to defend. We are a bunch of one-dimensional players. If you look at the conference games we have won, either our guards or Race/Geronimo have made an above-average (for us) number of perimeter shots. Simply put, we have been able to score in diverse and atypical ways in those games. "Hard to guard" is the correct term, I believe. Most games, we are not.

This narrative that we are talented enough to make the NCAA or contend for the B1G title is kind of baffling to me. Look who we have beaten in-conference. The bottom-dwellers who have even less talent than we have, and two good wins at home against OSU and PUke. Nearly every team in the conference picks up a surprise win or two at home against better opponents.

We have not collapsed. We have just hit the inevitable point of a back-loaded conference schedule where the talent differential reveals itself. We are good enough to be competitive, mostly because we defend well and have become much better at taking care of the ball. But we clearly lack offensive talent.
It is what it is. We are a team with limited weapons and to beat the teams in the upper half of the conference, we have to have success in areas we don't normally have success - mainly making perimeter shots. We need an upgrade in offensive talent, just like we have needed for the past five years. If/when we are able to land even one or two outstanding perimeter scorers, we will be able to compete with the top of the conference and become a mainstay in the NCAAT. Until that time arrives, we will remain a bubble-level program that struggles against the better teams.

A team of them genius. Not one or two.

This is your quote

"We need a roster of top 50 recruits if we’re going to win big. Guys like Gunn and Bates consistently won’t get it done."

Where in that quote did you say a team of Gunns (not a top 50 recruit) and Bates (top 50 recruit)? You contradict yourself. Either we need a team of top 50 recruits like Bates or we need a team of not top 50 recruits like Gunn... which is it?

For the better part of 15 years I’ve been told we don’t want to recruit like Duke or UK. We want 4 year Indiana 3 star recruits. They can keep the all Americans. We see how that’s worked.
You might check the Purdue roster.

You might check the Purdue roster.
Purdue did it right. They hired a guy to learn under gene before he retired. We just wash and repeat every five years. Now we have the iu guy so we cant say we did not try it either way.

I might be said that an opinion can't be had without at least of touch of arrogance.
Edwards was a different cat. I wouldn't say mentally tough like a team leader but unflappable and icewater in his veins when the game was on the line.

Purdue did it right. They hired a guy to learn under gene before he retired. We just wash and repeat every five years. Now we have the iu guy so we cant say we did not try it either way.
Just an FYI: Just 9 years ago, after 9 years at Purdue, Painter finished dead last in the BIG. Purdue gave him Fran Mcaffrey like time to figure it out.

The 2013–14 Purdue Boilermakers men's basketball team represented Purdue University. The head coach is Matt Painter, in his ninth season with the Boilers. The team played its home games in Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana, U.S., and was a member of the Big Ten Conference. They finished the season 15–17, 5–13 in Big Ten play to finish in last place.

He lives in an alternate reality so his memories rarely match actual reality.
No truer statement was ever made.

Sure glad we didn't recruit Jaden Ivey since well outside the top 50 high school. Fpeaugh needs to key in the NBA since many mock drafts have him second or third in the draft.

Last edited:
Add to that, Johnny Davis was a 3 star recruit.
Keegan Murray was a 3.

Sam Presti is praised by everyone in the NBA as able to identify players that pan out as high performers in the NBA and Giddey latest example. If you have extremely good scouting ability for high school players much better than looking at Maxpreps for the stars. Maybe you agree with them and maybe you don't.

Reactions: Hardg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT