ADVERTISEMENT

Wobble-Knees threatens to shut down the military

iuwclurker

All-American
Jul 6, 2015
Individual one is having another hissy fit about the border wall and is threatening to shut down the government over it. I don't understand why the Democrats don't turn it into a talking point about shutting down the military.

And Pelosi showed us why she needs to be Speaker. Calm, cool, and collected in the face of his nonsense. Haha. Also just read she told him to pray on whether he should shut the government down. Perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
Individual one is having another hissy fit about the border wall and is threatening to shut down the government over it. I don't understand why the Democrats don't turn it into a talking point about shutting down the military.
Military won't be shut down over this because we're funded for the rest of the year. We've been directed to notify our civilians that there is no threat of a furlough because Defense Department is funded. I think about 20 percent of the funding bills are left to be passed so those are the parts of the government would be shut down. I think Homeland Security Department is the biggest part of that.

Military won't be shut down over this because we're funded for the rest of the year. We've been directed to notify our civilians that there is no threat of a furlough because Defense Department is funded. I think about 20 percent of the funding bills are left to be passed so those are the parts of the government would be shut down. I think Homeland Security Department is the biggest part of that.

So what I'm getting from your post is that Trump's threat is yet another empty gesture designed to fraudulently make himself look big and tough . . . I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that's about the size of it, seems to me. Am I reading this right?

Reactions: MrBing
So what I'm getting from your post is that Trump's threat is yet another empty gesture designed to fraudulently make himself look big and tough . . . I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that's about the size of it, seems to me. Am I reading this right?
And that might be generous. Does your post assume that Individual 1 knows the status of funding and has considered the impact of such declarations?

Reactions: MrBing and meridian
I'm thinking that Trump wants to shut down the government in order to destabilize the US further, in service to whatever debt(s) he owes to Putin, so long as he can do so under the guise of adhering to* a domestic policy position that his base supports . . . in other words, perpetuating yet additional frauds on the American public and the country per se. if he's adept at anything, it's eating his cake and having it too . . . .

*[on edit] Trump doesn't actually execute anything . . . he just uses policy positions to rally the base at campaign events.

Last edited:
Reactions: iuwclurker
Does your post assume that Individual 1 knows the status of funding and has considered the impact of such declarations?
No. But it would require that type of knowledge to complete an intentional fraud case . . .

. . . I suspect that he's likely aware of the status of military funding, though, as he's assuming that the military - so long as they're well-fed - would provide him support to (a) provide security at the border, (b) protect the country in the event of yet another military conflict (I heard on NPR this morning that there are seven existing military conflicts involving the US right now), the likelihood of which seems to be rising the longer this guy stays in office, and/or (c) put down any domestic insurrection if he tries to undertake a soft coup or other take over of the US government . . . which could occur after (b) becomes a reality.

Remember who his handler is.

I'm thinking that Trump wants to shut down the government in order to destabilize the US further, in service to whatever debt(s) he owes to Putin, so long as he can do so under the guise of adhering to* a domestic policy position that his base supports . . . in other words, perpetuating yet additional frauds on the American public and the country per se. if he's adept at anything, it's eating his cake and having it too . . . .

*[on edit] Trump doesn't actually execute anything . . . he just uses policy positions to rally the base at campaign events.
It’s also another distraction from all of his legal problems, with new ones coming to light daily.

Congress has already approved and Trump has signed the FY19 appropriation bills for about 3/4ths of the govt. (8 of 13 annual bills).

But departments affected absent a deal include Homeland Security, Transportation, Agriculture, State and Justice, as well as national parks.

And Pelosi showed us why she needs to be Speaker. Calm, cool, and collected in the face of his nonsense. Haha. Also just read she told him to pray on whether he should shut the government down. Perfect.

then

and cue up "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Is Schumer trying not to giggle?

Pelosi looks like she just checkmated Bobby Fischer . . . and Fischer didn't see it coming.
I have complaints with both of them, but the corrupt unfit imbecile was out of his depth with Chuck and Nancy.

Question to Pelosi opponents: If you had a Pelosi alternative, could that person also own Trump in the Oval Office? That isn’t even something Pelosi is particularly good at.

I have complaints with both of them, but the corrupt unfit imbecile was out of his depth with Chuck and Nancy.

Question to Pelosi opponents: If you had a Pelosi alternative, could that person also own Trump in the Oval Office? That isn’t even something Pelosi is particularly good at.
You talkin' about Vlad? ;)

Okay, so I don't get why the Dems allow the military to get funded separate from the whole package. (Okay, up to now, they didn't control anything...) In other words, I'd just like Dems to show some cast-iron nuts for once. Next time, send Trump the whole package and exclaim about shutting down the military if and when he vetoes it. Trump's bluffs are so small potatoes that it's kinda sad.

Okay, so I don't get why the Dems allow the military to get funded separate from the whole package. (Okay, up to now, they didn't control anything...) In other words, I'd just like Dems to show some cast-iron nuts for once. Next time, send Trump the whole package and exclaim about shutting down the military if and when he vetoes it. Trump's bluffs are so small potatoes that it's kinda sad.

Because Congress actually did their job (at least 3/4ths of it)....and wrote individual appropriation bills like they are supposed to.

Giant ominous bills are awful. This is the first year in at least a decade that the military didn't have to operate under a very wasteful CR for much of the fiscal year

Because Congress actually did their job (at least 3/4ths of it)....and wrote individual appropriation bills like they are supposed to.

Giant ominous bills are awful. This is the first year in at least a decade that the military didn't have to operate under a very wasteful CR for much of the fiscal year
So do the military last. You can create petty objections as fast as you want. Doesn't change my basic point -- the Dems have a tendency to play chickenshit instead of hardball and I find it weak-kneed and detrimental to the country, especially with McConnell et al. and Trump et al. playing fast and loose with our great nation.

Bing only kinda said what happened. Every fiscal year before September 30th, if Congress does its business, they are to pass appropriation bills to fund various departments and services of the government for the entire coming fiscal year (FY). There are 13 of these. Most recent years, unfortunately, they’ve passed continuing resolutions (CRs) instead. This last year they passed most appropriation bills prior to the FY, but also few CRs. Defense was one of thise regular order appropriation bills. Do you think it would be a popular move to refuse to pay the Defense bill? I think most of the time that’s an unpopular move by either party.

Reactions: MrBing and twenty02
So do the military last. You can create petty objections as fast as you want. Doesn't change my basic point -- the Dems have a tendency to play chickenshit instead of hardball and I find it weak-kneed and detrimental to the country, especially with McConnell et al. and Trump et al. playing fast and loose with our great nation.

Dems don't control Congress.... you are advocating they filibuster DoD and HHS appropriation bills that they support. And that was the deal they brokered....HHS is very important to Dems, DoD is to the GOP. They all agreed to move these bills....and leave State, Justice and Homeland for now.

The whole thing is dumb. It's $5b vs $1.6b in the DHS bill.....$3.4b is a rounding error in a $1.4T discretionary bill.

Finally.... leaving DOD "last" is playing politics for half the budget.... again forcing CRs on the military...and wasting a ton of tax payer dollars.

Bing only kinda said what happened. Every fiscal year before September 30th, if Congress does its business, they are to pass appropriation bills to fund various departments and services of the government for the entire coming fiscal year (FY). There are 13 of these. Most recent years, unfortunately, they’ve passed continuing resolutions (CRs) instead. This last year they passed most appropriation bills prior to the FY, but also few CRs. Defense was one of thise regular order appropriation bills. Do you think it would be a popular move to refuse to pay the Defense bill? I think most of the time that’s an unpopular move by either party.
Republicans no longer worry about doing what's right or popular. McConnell's got it figured out that they can bullshit their way pretty much through anything. That's why he can pass a tax bill that explodes our debt, something that used to be anathema to Republicans.

So...why should Democrats worry about popular? Just blame Trump and the Republicans for shutting down the military. Trump owns the signature and Republicans own the Senate. Democrats can now send the first 12 to the Senate early enough to put the blame squarely on the Republicans' shoulders. Why is this so complicated for you?

Dems don't control Congress.... you are advocating they filibuster DoD and HHS appropriation bills that they support. And that was the deal they brokered....HHS is very important to Dems, DoD is to the GOP. They all agreed to move these bills....and leave State, Justice and Homeland for now.

The whole thing is dumb. It's $5b vs $1.6b in the DHS bill.....$3.4b is a rounding error in a $1.4T discretionary bill.

Finally.... leaving DOD "last" is playing politics for half the budget.... again forcing CRs on the military...and wasting a ton of tax payer dollars.
Again you're inventing trivialities and tangents. Democrats can play smart now that they own the House. They can pass bills far in advance of deadlines. Put the pressure on the Republicans. They have the brains and the experience, they just need to use them. In any case, I sure hope they don't listen to sticks in the mud like you and Aloha.

Again you're inventing trivialities and tangents. Democrats can play smart now that they own the House. They can pass bills far in advance of deadlines. Put the pressure on the Republicans. They have the brains and the experience, they just need to use them. In any case, I sure hope they don't listen to sticks in the mud like you and Aloha.

Shorter: "You think you've seen bad governance....hold my beer"

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Shorter: "You think you've seen bad governance....hold my beer"

I wish I could double like this. Anyone who has operated under a CR knows how incredibly stupid and wasteful they are. Passing those appropriation bills is the first time in a long while that Congress has actually done their job and completed it in a somewhat bipartisan manner. (Although the alliance has us spending waaaaay too much, but another topic for another day.)

Video is actually good for Dems when shutdown happens. President on record saying he will be responsible and proud of it.

If you're a GOP strategist, you may want to get a couple of glasses of some fresh bleach to drink tonight.
nervous.gif

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Republicans no longer worry about doing what's right or popular. McConnell's got it figured out that they can bullshit their way pretty much through anything. That's why he can pass a tax bill that explodes our debt, something that used to be anathema to Republicans.

So...why should Democrats worry about popular? Just blame Trump and the Republicans for shutting down the military. Trump owns the signature and Republicans own the Senate. Democrats can now send the first 12 to the Senate early enough to put the blame squarely on the Republicans' shoulders. Why is this so complicated for you?
What are you talking about? It appears to be complicated for you, not me. The issue in question now isn’t the military - it’s funded until 30 September 2019. I don’t support shutting down Homeland Security or Justice either, and that plus a bit more is the issue now.

Can you focus on the partial shutdown for this year? This can help you with that.

Can you focus on the partial shutdown for this year? This can help you with that.
Maestro, I'm neither talking about nor focusing on Trump's Shutdown. I'm focusing on the future. The Democrats don't even control the House yet. Starting January 1, the Democrats will control the House for two years. That's what I'm focusing on.

If Trump wants to shut down 25% of the Government until then, that's entirely on you and your party, since you guys control it all until then. I can see why you'd focus on that, since it's partly your responsibility as a dutiful GOP voter and supporter. If you don't want it called the Trump and Aloha Shutdown, better scream bloody murder.

Until January 1, 2019, it's all about Republican balls or lack thereof, after that, it's about Democrat balls or lack thereof.

Maestro, I'm neither talking about nor focusing on Trump's Shutdown. I'm focusing on the future. The Democrats don't even control the House yet. Starting January 1, the Democrats will control the House for two years. That's what I'm focusing on.

If Trump wants to shut down 25% of the Government until then, that's entirely on you and your party, since you guys control it all until then. I can see why you'd focus on that, since it's partly your responsibility as a dutiful GOP voter and supporter. If you don't want it called the Trump and Aloha Shutdown, better scream bloody murder.

Until January 1, 2019, it's all about Republican balls or lack thereof, after that, it's about Democrat balls or lack thereof.
So you’re focusing on something other than the rest of us were focusing on. You’re being exceptionally ridiculous in this “Aloha Shutdown” stuff. Neither of us have any influence at all in this.

So you’re focusing on something other than the rest of us were focusing on. You’re being exceptionally ridiculous in this “Aloha Shutdown” stuff. Neither of us have any influence at all in this.
Americans are renowned for not planning for the future. I'm all about planning for the future.

Meanwhile, Individual one is planning for the past.

Maybe but all I meant was to reply to the part about the military shutdown in the OP because that's not going to happen. If Trump shuts down the government it will only be part of it. I would hope that he's aware of that but who knows with him. It still sucks some for those that go on furlough but they always get back pay too so its more like an vacation they get paid for taking later. The people it hurts most are the government living from paycheck to paycheck.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It's supposed to be a separate funding bill every year.

Swaying stick in the mud?

Twenty talks about rounding errors for the Wall while Trump talks about using the military for border security and Twenty and you don't notice the irony of the Defense budget being $606B. Translated for sticks in the mud: So build the damn wall with the money you've already got if you can play fast and loose with the military and rounding errors. Stop pretending it's Schumer and Pelosi playing politics.
I didn’t say anything about the size of the defense budget, about anyone playing politics, or even about building a wall. You have a habit of talking to me about things I haven’t talked about as if I have.

Swaying stick in the mud?

Twenty talks about rounding errors for the Wall while Trump talks about using the military for border security and Twenty and you don't notice the irony of the Defense budget being $606B. Translated for sticks in the mud: So build the damn wall with the money you've already got if you can play fast and loose with the military and rounding errors. Stop pretending it's Schumer and Pelosi playing politics.

I'm beginning to worry about your mental health.

Nobody is playing politics but Trump. He's the only one that cares about his dumbass wall. DHS can show how they can actually use $1.6b for effective border security. They don't have any justification for the other $3.4b....it's nothing but a Trumpian campaign move. The ultimate in wasteful spending.

And no... Trump can't use DoD money for a wall...regardless of his stupid blustering.

Another reason why it is nice the adults are in charge. They actually did part of their jobs at least. Hope he burns down DC to get a wall built. Be a win win for taxpayers.

January 3, 2019, but whatever. Even if you get the date right, the crap you're spewing is still nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT